Server Merge Is Needed!

PancakeRift - Lost City
PancakeRift - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Suggestion Box
Yes, I know that the data base was not designed for a merge. But we have never been told that it 100% cannot happen. What I have managed to dig up so far, is that its just going to be hard work to do a complete merge. (correct me if im wrong)

The only two issues a server merge would bring will be name over laps and the economy will go into chaos for a while. I'm sure the devs can deal with a name overlap easy.

The reasons why a merge needs to happen is because this game is getting very empty. Regards to PvP, it is dead. You wont find anyone out at West Gate and only afk R9rr players in safe zone. If you dont have R9rr +10 full vit/JoD gear you cant just walk out and expect to find PvP. Not like you could a few years ago. I loved the days of when everyone of any gear level could find pvp.

Tw is now a joke. There are not enough players to support a proper guild rivalry. there are only a handful of guilds who can do Tw, and half of the Tw fights are 100% one sided because people dont have the members to show up to other wars at the same time.

Nation Wars is beyond pathetic. Mondays/Sunday Nw had an average player count at 56min in the war of only 60.5 players per nation. Over half of them would have been Alts, I would believe. Nw use to average over 150-200 people (maybe 300 when it came out. I was not around for the start).

As far as PvE goes. It can take up to an hour to get a WS squad during off times. A few years ago this would never be like that. You will not find Pv runs under level 85. Still can take up to 40min to get an FS squad. (I dont farm so lack of PvE does not bother me)

This is a very old game. There are to many servers to players at this point in time. There needs to be one West Coast and one East Coast server. I would have no issue if they were PvE just to keep that side happy and silent. This would bring older players back to the game because of much higher activity and it will bring new players too because of activity.

It would be STUPID for this not to happen. Yeah there will be players who dont want a server merge. But I know that most of the PWI community would welcome more active servers. It would be like playing back in 2009-10 when this game peaked.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Post edited by PancakeRift - Lost City on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2015
    You're on an old PvP server. That's pretty normal.

Lost cannot be merged with the other PvP server, and they won't merge you into the PvE server they would be able to.

Imagine the QQ when you aren't a PvP server any longer......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Make them pvp servers and I'm down with any server merge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • PancakeRift - Lost City
    edited May 2015

Lost cannot be merged with the other PvP server, and they won't merge you into the PvE server they would be able to.

If it went PvE there would be still 10x more PvP then there is now. So it doesnt really matter if you ask me...
    edited May 2015
    I did some poking, and need to correct myself. Lost City is independent, and does not share the name database with any other servers. You can't merge it.

/Thread b:chuckle

Also, it has been previously stated that this will not happen because our servers were not set up for it initially.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2015

No, you can merge LC with all the other west coast pve servers. Just make the new server PvE there will be more PvP on a merged PvE server than there is on the PvP servers >.<
    edited May 2015
    No, you can merge LC with all the other west coast pve servers. Just make the new server PvE there will be more PvP on a merged PvE server than there is on the PvP servers >.<

No, you can't, because they don't share the same name database. Sanctuary, Archosaur, and Heavens Tear could merge, but not Lost because it does not share a unique name database.

v4liance wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I wish I could give you guys a firm update on whether 1) this is possible and 2) when, if ever, we would get this update.

I know server vs. server combat would be a lot of fun, and we're working closely with the dev team and our own engineers to see what it would take to get it to work for our servers.

Unfortunately, it's surprisingly complicated, and our servers just weren't set up for this initially.

Again, this isn't impossible, and as much as I hate to give false hope, I do promise that we are working on this, and we would love to get this implemented with our next big content update.

- Val

Now since he posted that, PWE's dev team for PWI has tanked, we haven't had a steady CM, and most recently the upper management for canned.

Even if they were going to work on it, they aren't likely doing it now, and that's just for Server vs Server TW/NW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luxiouss - Harshlands
    Luxiouss - Harshlands Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If Perfect World Malaysia can do it I'm sure you can find a way as well cuz ur awesome Americans who can do anything right? Merge and maybe people will play again. Kinda boring knowing theres maybe 150 active people on the game
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No, you can't, because they don't share the same name database. Sanctuary, Archosaur, and Heavens Tear could merge, but not Lost because it does not share a unique name database.

I wish they would at least merge Sanctuary with Archosaur if they share name database and have a chance. b:surrender I know PWE tends to mess up, but I'd take the risk if that means a more active server.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why there are people that believe that merging servers will actually change something?
    It wont change a thing. merging servers will be just merging servers and nothing more. The game content will be the same. the players that left for various reasons will not be back. Well maybe some of them will be back but after they realized that the game still doesnt satisfy them will leave again.
    Merging servers wont increase the number of players. Will be the same number. So if you had 100 players on a server and 150 on another server( this numbers are just as an exemple) a total of 250 players merging server will results in having 250 ppl on a single server. No increase in number.

OP is saying that you find afk r9rr players in safe zone.
    My answer to this: It will just be more afk r9rr players.

I am against merging servers. I am against merging them cause I dont want to find myself on a PVP server since i choosed from start to play on a PVE server. Also I think those that choosed a PVP server dont want to end up on a PVE one.
    Merging servers will bring nothing new to the game. It will be the same game. The same TW and the same NW. It will still take time to form a squad for something and so on...
    giphy.gif

• DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why there are people that believe that merging servers will actually change something?
    It wont change a thing. merging servers will be just merging servers and nothing more. The game content will be the same. the players that left for various reasons will not be back. Well maybe some of them will be back but after they realized that the game still doesnt satisfy them will leave again.
    Merging servers wont increase the number of players. Will be the same number. So if you had 100 players on a server and 150 on another server( this numbers are just as an exemple) a total of 250 players merging server will results in having 250 ppl on a single server. No increase in number.

I am against merging servers. I am against merging them cause I dont want to find myself on a PVP server since i choosed from start to play on a PVE server. Also I think those that choosed a PVP server dont want to end up on a PVE one.
    Merging servers will bring nothing new to the game. It will be the same game. The same TW and the same NW. It will still take time to form a squad for something and so on...

At the point of server MUST be pvp after merge I agree, I did chose for a PvE server for a reason, I want to be able to pk when I want to, not be forced to.

To all your other points: Are you this ignorant?
    TW would be more interesting as there would be more stronger factions on 1 single server.
    More activity on 1 single server.

That is pretty much what people want, but can't get anyway. Yes there will also be more afk people, but there will also be more active people.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    At the point of server MUST be pvp after merge I agree, I did chose for a PvE server for a reason, I want to be able to pk when I want to, not be forced to.

To all your other points: Are you this ignorant?
    TW would be more interesting as there would be more stronger factions on 1 single server.
    More activity on 1 single server.

That is pretty much what people want, but can't get anyway. Yes there will also be more afk people, but there will also be more active people.

I am that ignorant? Hmm I dont know...And you said my all my other point but talked only about TW.
    Like you said there will be more stronger faction on a single server so what that exactly change to TW beside being more stronger faction on a single server? What will change beside the fact that only big and stronger factions will own the map?

I have to correct about the afk ppl. Wont be more afk ppl. Will be the same number of afk ppl and same number of active ppl.
    Like I said you have 100 on a server and 150 on another server. Out of 100 you got 40 afk ppl and out of 150 you got 70 afk ppl. A total of 110 afk ppl from 250 total players. merging servers will cause a total of 110 afk ppl out of 250. And you got a total of 140 active one. Same number you got with the servers non merged( the numbers are give just as an exemple).
    merging servers wont double the number of players. Will be just putting players togheter.
    giphy.gif

• ykc
    ykc Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm kinda against (not that bad idea tho), just because many of us dont want to be pk-forced (PVE = free will)... and since merge = more issues/lag/crash and w/e, also... and most likely.. it would shutdown pwi for good if they mess with more serious parts of the database... dont give our devs a reason to touch sensitives parts of pwi - all veterans like me know what happen if we let 'em touch (I'm pretty sure all 'em remember the old maint that devs did and went out for coffee and forgot to check if anything is missing, And didnt notice that "Get out of instance script was missing)b:surrender

EDIT: few fixes
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am that ignorant? Hmm I dont know...And you said my all my other point but talked only about TW.
    Because your other points are mainly about activity, which I also addressed.

Like you said there will be more stronger faction on a single server so what that exactly change to TW beside being more stronger faction on a single server? What will change beside the fact that only big and stronger factions will own the map?
    More competetition between factions and more chances for other factions to get lands while the bigger ones duke it out, i don't know?

I have to correct about the afk ppl. Wont be more afk ppl. Will be the same number of afk ppl and same number of active ppl.
    Like I said you have 100 on a server and 150 on another server. Out of 100 you got 40 afk ppl and out of 150 you got 70 afk ppl. A total of 110 afk ppl from 250 total players. merging servers will cause a total of 110 afk ppl out of 250. And you got a total of 140 active one. Same number you got with the servers non merged( the numbers are give just as an exemple).
    I am not sure how i'm even supposed to respond to this. Are you really that blind to what you are saying yourself?
    Let me explain it plain and simple:
    Merging servers would mean players go from 1 server to another.
    Server 1 has, according to your number, 100 people, out of which 40 are afk, 60 are active.
    Server 2 has 150 people, of which 70 are afk, 80 active.
    (those numbers are kind of over the top examples from your end but ok)
    Now lets merge server 2 into server 1.
    Server 1 now has 110 AFK people
    Server 1 now has 140 active people
    Server 2 does not exist anymore
    Server 1 has more activity because it now contains the active people from server 2.
    In which you finally get to the point yourself (well, somewhat):

merging servers wont double the number of players. Will be just putting players togheter.
    No it won't double the number of players in total for PWI but:

Will be just putting players togheter.
    THAT IS THE EXACT ENTIRE POINT OF DOING A MERGE
    /5char
    You sure you're not just trying to troll?
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • Marengo - Lost City
    Marengo - Lost City Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This. It's why I think merge would be useless. It would revive pvp for a while probably, but then it would turn out to be the same as before.

Merging can be done according to the following scheme, though: let ppl from west pve server migrate to pvp server (not vice versa because pvp server is only 1 while pve are many) if they wish (accounts transfer), thus they deal with name changing on their own. After this is done, merge 2 or more pve servers into 1. This wouldn't change any time zones, all pvp would stay pvp, pve would stay pve if they want or move to pk server on their own free will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
    pw art ◊ tinyurl.com/q6ca7ar ◊
  • trolltroll
    trolltroll Posts: 4
    edited May 2015
    The Problem of PWI is the extremely high competition on the market.

The list of wow clones is endless. One can compare the community of MMOs with churches: 99% of all humans are religious but they all claims there are only atheists around nowadays. Because there are several million temples but the folk sitting in those temples sees only the free seats.

Everyone says that PW is old.
    Is a 10 year old car an old timer? Is a 10 year old human old? Is a 10 year old game old? For very young people, press and marketing department: yes.

Do newer games offer different or better stuff? Or at least better graphic, customization, sound and sound tracks? I checked out "Royal Quest" a few days ago. It's obviously worse than PW but it got the label "new". I doubt it will last as long as PW (I'd say max. 2 years). But because of the label "new" it's getting more support.

My conclusion: For PWI the only source of players are returnees. Because people want "new stuff" and won't jon an "old game" which they don't know. But if just 5% of the people which ever played PWI for a while would come back the servers would be crowded again.

Since PW isn't unique (like e.g. a game which got named after a mythological first woman), there are just two strategies available and they should take both:

* PWEs old strategy: Take the money from the rich. Let them people support the game. Don't even try to get money from casuals. If they feel forced to spend, they just run away. Let the rich spend money to boost their ego. And give the others the opportunity back to farm/PVE for them (e.g. Warsong Badges, primordial blood and vitae pills should be tradable).

* The developers in China have to release sandbox tools for PWI for the creative people, those tools are the real keepers! They should give us
    - editors to create fashion (PWE could still put it in boutique/event boutique)
    - editors to revamp the main map (more detailed textures, real houses, traveling NPCs)
    - editors to create a (monthly, random) community dungeon
    - add music created by the community
    - the ability to customize the look of our armor (PW CN got this already). Make helmets,
    necklaces, tomes and belts visible on our characters.

IMO sandbox games are more satisfying games and even give the company better reputations. What adult would admit that he's playing an MMO? No one lol.
    But if you create virtual content, you would even show it your neighbor, boss,
    colleagues and relatives.
    edited May 2015
    If Perfect World Malaysia can do it I'm sure you can find a way as well cuz ur awesome Americans who can do anything right? Merge and maybe people will play again. Kinda boring knowing theres maybe 150 active people on the game
    PW-MY could do it because it was originally set up with the ability to.
    The Europe servers could do it because it was set up with the ability to.
    Our servers were not set up this way.

The servers we have that share the same unique name database could, but we're not likely to ever see them do that due to lack of support and possible hardware limitations.

With a aging title like this one, that's pretty normal for a PvP server to start becoming a ghost town.
    New people won't want to join a PvP server that's already well established, and your current player base slowly leaves. Given that PvP in PWI is completely gimped anyway, it doesn't have a lot of draw for those who truly PvP. It's fun for a while, and then just gets boring. (the insane level of power creep in this title doesn't help either.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2015

With a aging title like this one, that's pretty normal for a PvP server to start becoming a ghost town.
    [/I]

I jump on all the other servers and they all share around that same activity. PvE and PvP servers seem to have around the same number of active players at any given time.

Morai server on the other hand is nice and populated. But thats because its one server for a whole bloody region (Lucky them)
  • Josh - Lost City
    Josh - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dude give it a rest, this guy has been spamming WC QQing about a server merge and he is now posting on forums. Just because hes in the losing nation and nation war is exploitable where players can lower their soulforce before entering to get placed with better players.
  • coopoor
    coopoor Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    with the idea os server merger several problems come about 1 being if a person has max allowed chars on each server which ones are to be deleted in merge. This being an old game would most likey benefit more if servers were merged into a new updated server with an entirely different name. As far as people comings an goings on servers this will happen people get bored of game, real life comes about people take a break, an the old standard nothing lasts forever this game has been around far longer than the developers have expected
    edited May 2015
    Dude give it a rest, this guy has been spamming WC QQing about a server merge and he is now posting on forums. Just because hes in the losing nation and nation war is exploitable where players can lower their soulforce before entering to get placed with better players.

I dont really mind losing Nation Wars. Scoring 20k+ per nw still pays out good even in last. My issue with it was that only 1 squad can now control the outcome of a nation war. The pure lack of players. Key functions in the large scale pvp now no longer apply.

The game is boring for a good 20 out of the 24 hours in each day. That needs some attention do you not think?