• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    *cracks whip*
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    WTF does that even mean? Damn your lack of English. Anyways, I'm going to assume it means, bye. If so, bye.

Don't be sarcastic with me. I was poor for a very long time. I don't want to hear your poor people speech, because I was actually there. I was specifically talking about people like them with money who have no excuse for not upgrading. I am not badgering the poor. There is a way to get around that, as given by SylenThunder. I just hate when I see a complaint on the basis of not spending money because they won't support outdated OSes. That is ridiculous.

Edit: If I wasn't clear. The reason why I said these kinds of people hold us back is because they actually do have money to spend. Due to this, it causes software engineers, like myself , to have to write code specifically pandered to them (although not anymore) because they use an outdated OS. People who are not spending money on software are not a concern nor factor in my statement.

See there is a difference here. You were poor, you were there as in the past.
    They are poor as in the present days.
    giphy.gif

• tango2bravo
    tango2bravo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is RIDICULOUS to suggest someone change their system for this. How utterly absurd. Is there a way to block ridiculous commenters here?

If there isn't a fix ARC needs to come out and say they are tossing some users to the curb. And that will be fine. Just dont expect me back when I change OS.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    OPKossy wrote: »
    *cracks whip*

OPKossy, why you so good to me? b:shy

*cough* *cough*
    See there is a difference here. You were poor, you were there as in the past.
    They are poor as in the present days.

What? I don't think you fully comprehended what I wrote. Try reading it again.
    It is RIDICULOUS to suggest someone change their system for this. How utterly absurd. Is there a way to block ridiculous commenters here?

If you're talking about me, I was talking about people with money. If you have freely spendable money, then yes, I am saying to change your OS. There is no excuse. For everyone else, either use the workaround or wait until they, likely, update Arc with support for XP again.

Oh, and as a note, read my signature Mr. Ridiculous. This is what a forum is all about.

Back to topic. Like I stated in another thread. Arc is not so complex as to need functions from Vista and above. So I don't see why they won't support it. It was very likely a mistake that will be corrected in time. Seeing as how XP people can't install games at all, as far as I know. They are likely to not leave this as is.

On a side note: If reading my posts has confused anyone, that is because I was talking from two viewpoints simultaneously. I'm thinking that I shouldn't have been doing that. I do apologize for the lack of a single view.
    Edit: Actually, I looked back. I was talking from 4 different viewpoints. What is wrong with me? One was my developer side, one was my user side, one was my business side, and the other was my let's derail the conversation because I am procrastinating doing my job (I work at home) side. Good luck trying to figure out what my actual thoughts are.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • Hisiala - Morai
    Hisiala - Morai Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Or the American IRS. They are using technology from the 60s and 70s. This is no joke.

---
    @Hisiala Go read my post before this one. I attempted to clarify my statements.

Do me a favor, next time, PLEASE, specify things before posting them. From the first post, not from the second or an edit. It avoids misunderstandings and keeps livers healthy. Because, really, when you said "update your os", without further explaining, or asking why that person wasn't upgrading, you bunched everyone that had xp together, regardless of their economic situation.

That, to some, might be quite offensive, even if the post wasn't directed at them specifically. Especially since you went on about you being a software engineer or something, which should be a work that pays off well enough.

Which makes you appear "higher-and-mighter-than-thou" at first glance

EDIT: regarding your last post before mine. 4 points of views? No wonder I misunderstood you. Sorry about that
  • bravo00068
    bravo00068 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why not announced and didn't apologize that will stop working under WindowsXP?
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    Especially since you went on about you being a software engineer or something, which should be a work that pays off well enough.

Not when self-employed. Previously, I was better off. I wanted to try something different. It's not working as well so far. Although it does give me a lot of time to view lots of different forums. I actually make 99% of my living from the other half of my employment, fixing computers.
    Which makes you appear "higher-and-mighter-than-thou" at first glance

To be fair to you, I have both a combination of confidence and dissidence about my thoughts. It can make for some weird reading if you don't know how I am.
    EDIT: regarding your last post before mine. 4 points of views? No wonder I misunderstood you. Sorry about that

Not your fault. I was jacked on caffeine a few hours ago. It's noticeably worn off. My thoughts were bouncing around so fast I can't remember what was happening. This is what I get for drinking that much Mountain Dew. b:surrender
    bravo00068 wrote: »
    Why not announced and didn't apologize that will stop working under WindowsXP?

It was likely an accident. They will probably apologize soon, I'm sure.

I suddenly had a thought, but PW deserves the "Works on My Machine" certification badge. I haven't had to pull this reference out in a while. --> http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-works-on-my-machine-certification-program/ or the original version.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • dragonpig
    dragonpig Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have found the temp fix for this Arc problem. lets see if they roll a permanent fix asap.
  • kateshii
    kateshii Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Heaven's Tear. So glad to have such a high and mighty developer to belittle us wretched XP users. Reckon we dont know no better sir. Po little us's.

Is it really the end-user's fault when software developers don't plan contingencies for older systems? Is it the user's fault that the engineers don't know their user-base? Seems to me "progress" in coding would have smart applications that can detect what architectures are being used so that it can take advantage of newer systems capabilities yet throttle down for older systems. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

You don't tell people who drive 20-30 year old classic cars to stop driving them because there are better, newer models with more technology, do you? These people...most at least...purchased their OS license. We understand that you, given your prestigious coding experience, can probably write your own OS. The rest of us may not be able to afford such a luxury. We work with what we have.

As for the topic at hand. If you load your game via your launcher (in my case Neverwinter.exe), the game client will most certainly update just fine. This happens in the launcher, not in Arc. Just to clear that bit up. Obviously you cant update the Arc client but since we are bypassing it that isn't relevant unless you are interested in installing a new Arc game. The problem now is that any XP users will no longer be able to "fix" their broken Arc client without re-installing as any subsequent updates to Arc will not be able to be pushed to XP users assuming they resolve the XP problem. Those less savvy XP users will likely no longer be PWE customers/users.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    kateshii wrote: »
    Heaven's Tear. So glad to have such a high and mighty developer to belittle us wretched XP users. Reckon we dont know no better sir. Po little us's.

Damn right, you wretched XP user.
    Here's a thought. You develop a solution to the problem with all of your free time and stop talking down to people who either can't afford a new OS license or chose not to upgrade OS on one of their computers.

Yup, I can tell you didn't read all of my posts. So I guess I shouldn't bother to read yours, huh? Nah, I'm nicer than that.
    You don't tell people who drive 20-30 year old classic cars to stop driving them because there are better, newer models with more technology, do you? These people...most at least...purchased their OS license. We understand that you, given your prestigious coding experience, can probably write your own OS. The rest of us may not be able to afford such a luxury. We work with what we have.

I do think people should not be driving around in old cars. It's outright unsafe. You can not disagree with this, as it is fact. Same with old OSes actually. Also, do not confuse completely customized old-new cars with just old cars. There is a big difference in safety.
    Take it down a notch sir. There is no need to be so condescending.

Yes, I was so condescending because I'm so high and mighty and freakin' awesome super amazing...oh wait, I'm not going around acting like I'm on the moral superiority high ground. Hey buddy, double standards. If you're going to do this, be prepared because it is always a double sided blade.

Regardless, you should probably go back and actually read what I wrote. It was written in a very confusing fashion because I was talking from different viewpoints based on whatever statements were made beforehand. That is to say, I continuously was creating an argument against whatever was said for the sake of having a fair viewpoint. I was super jacked on caffeine when I did that. I'm crashing pretty hard right now though, so I'm not really interested in doing what I was doing earlier.

To sum up and maybe help everyone who I have now confused...

Practical Developer Viewpoint: People should upgrade their OS if possible, but especially if you have money to throw at PW. There is no reason you can't save up the money you are putting into the game for a newer system. More problems are bound to occur for you if you keep using XP. Especially since Microsoft is getting real weird and that XP is no longer supported.

Unrealistic Expectations Developer Viewpoint: Throw out that hunk of junk you call and computer and get a new one before Arc explodes from hacky code. Also, I think PWE should stop compiling it for XP since that just means that they are supporting the past when they need to be supporting the future. All hail Microsoft.

User Viewpoint: PWE probably made a mistake when compiling Arc. They are likely to correct this soon, I'm sure. There's no reason why Arc should need functionality introduced in Windows Vista.

Business Viewpoint: Based on statistics, XP users are a small fraction that PWE could afford to lose. They make up 15% of the market, but most of that 15% is businesses/government, not regular users. Also, why should they bother to keep supporting XP when even Microsoft doesn't support it?

• kateshii
    edited May 2015
    I actually did go back and read (the rest) of your posts...after I posted my response. I did see where you clarified some things and edited my post accordingly. I too am crashing and can relate. Subject at hand still is one of XP users being screwed from using Arc entirely. I consider myself a highly technical user, yet I can still tell you that I doubt I will ever re-install Arc assuming they do patch the XP conflict. I enjoy playing Neverwinter but am not that invested in it. For others that don't have such a mindset, today was probably their last day playing Arc games via Windows XP. Not because they will go out and update their OS but that they won't bother fixing it or wont know how to find the answers. I still feel that the fault there does not lie with the end-user. If PWE doesn't want XP supported it should be noted in their documentation and there should be a error thrown when installing that it isn't supported. On that note I'll take my leave.

Edit: And I do agree with you about using XP. It is asking for trouble in more ways than one. I'm sure there are more security exploits floating around the aether than there are lines of code used to write it. Needless to say, however, it is still being used and some rely on it out of necessity. If you are able, upgrade your OS without a doubt. Until then, though, don't fix what isn't broke (cough - Arc - cough).
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    Nah, PWE isn't known to ignore anything that could lose them money. I'm pretty sure they will fix this faster than you can blink. Also, I managed to sum up the various viewpoints I was portraying. I follow none of them. I don't care about this, Arc, or anything else. That's the real clarification I should have made. I was just having fun because I was jacked up.

Off-topic edit: Random Reference: Think of me as very much like Dennis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, in the episode where they are making a movie. He describes a plot for a movie and then it is minutely rebuttaled; after which he exclaims in an uncaring voice that he doesn't actually care.

• _AlexBlue_ - Archosaur
    _AlexBlue_ - Archosaur Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From what i read everyone is tellin-u shall upgrade OS etc... Well since im using XP and ofc im gettin this erorr i wish someone at least noted that they will upgrade arc that is not suporting old OS. There r many ppl that uses XP and idc if its old or not. Its not our fault for using outdated OS its our choice, but its pwi fault (as usualy) for not noting it so we can try to find some solutuion beside spending 10+h of instaling new OS with all features. Anyways what u ppl can try but it didnt worked for me is download kernel32.dll extract in windows/system32/system64 rebot pc and try runing arc after that
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    What the ****?

DON'T REPLACE KERNAL32.DLL ON YOUR SYSTEM!

Okay, for the love of god, please don't do anything like this anyone.

For anyone that has made this mistake already, please open up command prompt and run "sfc /scannow"

• kateshii
    edited May 2015
    From what i read everyone is tellin-u shall upgrade OS etc... Well since im using XP and ofc im gettin this erorr i wish someone at least noted that they will upgrade arc that is not suporting old OS. There r many ppl that uses XP and idc if its old or not. Its not our fault for using outdated OS its our choice, but its pwi fault (as usualy) for not noting it so we can try to find some solutuion beside spending 10+h of instaling new OS with all features. Anyways what u ppl can try but it didnt worked for me is download kernel32.dll extract in windows/system32/system64 rebot pc and try runing arc after that

Downloading the kernel32 libraries wont help. In fact at best you are chasing your tail and at worse you will break XP. Bad idea.

To reiterate earlier posts:
    This is a work around not a fix.
    Bypass Arc to play your games.
    To do this browse to your game files and look for the launcher file. In my system it is the following path:
    C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Neverwinter_en
    and the file is named Neverwinter.exe

For other Arc games the path and filename will be different but should be located in your Perfect World Entertainment folder. Under this folder you will likely see a directory for your game. Unless someone posts the specific filename you will have to use logic to determine which file is the launcher. If you mouseover the various .exe files (for neverwinter it was the only .exe file in the directory) in your game folder, you should find one with the description Cryptic Game Launcher. That will be your exe. Load it and you can start your game without Arc. To make life easier make a shortcut to your desktop once you've found it.

Sticky post about bypassing Arc:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21503211&postcount=7
  • kateshii
    edited May 2015
    What the ****?

DON'T REPLACE KERNAL32.DLL ON YOUR SYSTEM!

Okay, for the love of god, please don't do anything like this anyone.

For anyone that has made this mistake already, please open up command prompt and run "sfc /scannow"

Very much this.
  • moofdemon
    moofdemon Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bought a newish (rebuilt) PC not even a year ago
    came with Win7 Pro
    PWI ran with a frame rate of 11fps max
    other proggies had problems

wiped it
    installed XPpro SP3
    frame rate 30fps even in west

why do I and others run XP?
    cuz it works better (until some company purposefully decides to abandon XP)
  • Sisyrbe - Archosaur
    Sisyrbe - Archosaur Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok, so basically there's nothing I can do right now. Since so many people are affected, I'm sure PWI will fix this. I will be getting a new computer in the near future, but I'll submit a ticket anyway. Let's hope this is fixed, because my Arc and stuff have been working fine for years.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    moofdemon wrote: »
    why do I and others run XP?
    cuz it works better (until some company purposefully decides to abandon XP)

Like the company that made XP? Who stopped supporting it a few years back. b:chuckle

I actually gave a pretty good overview from multiple viewpoints about this issue. Overall, the side leaning to not support XP is high, but at the same time there is also no reason why not to support it, since Arc isn't exactly using anything complex. Once again, I'm pretty sure it really just is an accident.

For everyone else. I assume due to the silly length of this thread, everyone is missing how to bypass Arc. Basically you need to make some batch files (.bat) that contain the code below. Then you have to either put the full file path into the batch file location for the .exe or run it straight from the PWI folders.

For the patcher.
    start patcher.exe arc:1
    exit

For the game.
    start elementclient.exe startbypatcher arc:1
    exit

Edit: I just remembered! There is going to be a free version of Windows 10 very soon. If you can find the drivers for, at a minimum, Vista for your system, there is a strong possibility they will work in 10. I do recommend if you can find drivers and have the ability to install an OS, then update your OS at that point in time. Windows 10 is faster, more secure, and new. So all of the newest programs and such should work. Also don't worry about losing data or formatting your drive, as starting with Windows Vista, if you already have a partition, the installer will move your old files into a folder and install Windows with deleting anything.

• jdonvance2
    jdonvance2 Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    I jumped ahead from page 2, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Someone said "I don't see why they should continue to support XP"

I can think of two reasons: 1) XP works just fine. 2) If an MMO was launched when XP was current, then the devs abandon the OS, they are effectively preventing part of their playerbase from enjoying the game they purchased/bought into/invested time in/whatever.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    jdonvance2 wrote: »
    I jumped ahead from page 2, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Someone said "I don't see why they should continue to support XP"

I can think of two reasons: 1) XP works just fine. 2) If an MMO was launched when XP was current, then the devs abandon the OS, they are effectively preventing part of their playerbase from enjoying the game they purchased/bought into/invested time in/whatever.

Not only was it covered, but you would've realized that I was talking from multiple viewpoints. The reason was because I was jacked up on caffeine and have a tendency to start trolling and getting weird when I do. I actually had a caffeine hangover this morning. Read the bottom section of this post to get an idea of what was happening: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22452231&postcount=41

Regardless, I actually don't care about any of this. Except for the fact that people keep complaining about it. So I started making a program to bypass Arc because apparently no one knows how to use batch files anymore.

I'm about 50% done and its only been 20 minutes. So wait another 20~30 minutes and I should be done. Then everyone can be happy. Assuming you all have .NET 2.0 installed.

Done: Download this if you wish. http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip

• boustanforum
    boustanforum Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you have money to shove at the game there is no excuse for you to continue to use Windows XP. This is not me defending PWE, Arc, or anything else. Windows XP is both old and no longer supported by Microsoft. Now, with that in mind, why should any other company continue to support XP when the original makers of it don't even support it? There is no good answer other than people fighting to move forward. Do yourself and favor and stop fighting the future, it's a losing battle.

Dude, I'm starting to believe that you work for M$ as you adamantly incite people to buy new version of their software... Unless you advocate piracy, which is kind of against my software engineer principles... As for myself, I believe that XP is a decent os if you don't mind about security. I run Neverwinter on an old XP gaming box that I built a long time ago when I had more time for gaming. I fetched top dollars for that box and its display adapter, and it runs Neverwinter very decently, so why buy another M$ licence to fix what aint broken? Yes XP is vulnerable, but I've gosted my gaming box when everything was freshly installed and restore that fresh ghost from my ghost server quite often. When there's a new version of whatever software I need on that box I restore a fresh ghost, do the update and make a new ghost, And restore that ghost every night from my ghosting server. In conjunction with the fact that the gaming box holds no sensitive info and is behind a hardware firewall It's the best security policy, doesn't cost me a penny and is totally effortless as most of those processes are automated.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    Dude, I'm starting to believe that you work for M$ as you adamantly incite people to buy new version of their software...

*sigh* I keep having to reexplain because all of you posting new comments didn't bother to read the entire thread. I'm not even going to bother to address it this time. I'm just, meh. Go read the thread.
    Unless you advocate piracy, which is kind of against my software engineer principles.

I do advocate piracy. I also advocate open source software. The reason I advocate piracy is because I was poor for a long time, so I understand the hardships of not being able to afford things. It's also the reason why I make all of my software free.
    As for myself, I believe that XP is a decent os if you don't mind about security.

Look, I used to love XP as well. Believe me though, XP is a piece of **** in comparison to 7, 8, and 10. That statement I said couldn't be any truer though. If you do have money to shove at the game, then why not a new OS? Living in the past is just going to make you fall behind the rest of the technological world. Also, as I noted earlier, Windows 10 will actually have a free version. So as long as the drivers are available, that would solve a number of issues.

• opkossy
    edited May 2015
    I was planning to go on an anecdote about XP, 7, and so on as well as my experiences with it, but this has strayed far enough from the original topic as is.

PWE will make a fix for this when they feel like it as it was likely unintentional. NRGLG has provided a fix for it in the meantime. Because it is considered third party, I have to say that you use it at your own risk when mentioning it. He has also pointed out links explaining how to bypass Arc entirely and not encounter the problem in the first place.

Regardless, that OS discussion and upgrading vs not ends here. If you wish to continue, take it to PM or create a thread in Off-Topic about it.
  • lsphantay
    lsphantay Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sure you'll be able to update.

You just need to make another shortcut for Patcher.exe that has the arc:1 argument. I should update my sticky accordingly.

For those of you still running XP, sorry, but it was time to upgrade several years ago. Not even Microsoft supports it now.

How do you create the arc:1 argument? I was playing PWI. No I won't be getting a new windows computer just to play PWI, I have a linux computer, which arc is not compatible with either. How about supporting xp or linux?
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    NRGLG has provided a fix for it in the meantime. Because it is considered third party, I have to say that you use it at your own risk when mentioning it.

I provided the source code for it inside the zip so that people who don't trust it could look or even compile it for themselves. There really isn't much to it. I just did what the batch files do and then combined it with a simple and straightforward interface.
    I was planning to go on an anecdote about XP, 7, and so on as well as my experiences with it, but this has strayed far enough from the original topic as is.

Yes it has; courtesy of a 3 litter bottle of Mountain Dew.
    Regardless, that OS discussion and upgrading vs not ends here.

Sowwy Kossy. b:beg

I'm going to post this one more time for everyone here...
    Program Way:
    "Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped" Download: http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip

Manual Way:
    To bypass Arc, you need to make some batch files (.bat) that contain the code below. Then you have to either put the full file path into the batch file location for the .exe or run it straight from the PWI folders.

Patcher: Name this file "patcher.bat". Paste this code in. Put this file into the PWI_en\patcher\ folder. Now when you want to patch it, just double-click "patcher.bat".
    start patcher.exe arc:1
    exit

PWI: Name this file "game.bat". Paste this code in. Put this file into the PWI_en\element\ folder. Now when you want to play the game, just double-click "game.bat".
    start elementclient.exe startbypatcher arc:1
    exit

lsphantay wrote: »
    How do you create the arc:1 argument? I was playing PWI. No I won't be getting a new windows computer just to play PWI, I have a linux computer, which arc is not compatible with either. How about supporting xp or linux?

...a wine user. How rare.

• opkossy
    edited May 2015

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21503211&postcount=7
  • lsphantay
    lsphantay Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much, the bat files worked, PWI loaded with my old xp. I do like to be rare also, even if wine doesn't work well done.
  • Sisyrbe - Archosaur
    Sisyrbe - Archosaur Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I used the "Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped" link that NRGLG gave and it works! Hopefully, PWI will have this whole mess fixed soon. Thanks for your help, NRGLG.
  • kateshii
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much, the bat files worked, PWI loaded with my old xp. I do like to be rare also, even if wine doesn't work well done.

WINE works just fine. It does, however, require some finesse. Light some candles...turn on the Kenny G...pop a bottle of...dare I say...