Second client not updating

Options
Annalyse - Heavens Tear
Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Support Desk
I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure how to fix it; if anyone has any info it would be appreciated. I really don't want to go through another 2 hour verify.

Normally I run two clients, and they both have the same settings. A few days ago, the secondary client for some reason reverted to default - full screen mode instead of windows, differing settings than I'd had the day before, etc. I thought it was odd but just carefully put everything back the way I wanted it and went on playing.

Now since this week's patch, any second client I open does not have the updated font. The first client I open is perfectly fine, but any I open after is not updated. (Account doesn't matter either; I tried several different ones)

Any ideas on what is happening/what I can do? Is it something to do with circumventing Arc? This has never happened in the past.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
Post edited by Annalyse - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm a little confused as to what your problem is. Do you have PWI installed in two separate locations on the same computer? Do you have PWI installed on two separate computers? Are you running PWI from the same file on the same computer twice?

Knowing these would help to understand your problem a bit, because if you patched the game correctly, running it from the same 'elementclient.exe' file should result in the same output. However, if you're running it from two seperate folders, it sounds like the other one didn't get updated properly. In that case, just copy all of the files and folders from the 'element' folder, excluding the 'userdata' and 'screenshots' folder within, from where it is properly installed to the non-properly updated elements folder (overwriting the files). This should resolve the issue. If not, there's always scrapping it and reinstalling from scratch.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My apologies for not being clear. It is the same laptop, same client shortcut. I open it once and it is fine; I minimize and open it again as I do everyday but the second client that opens is acting as though it is a different, non-updated version. It is extremely bizarre because they are opening from the same root location and should be identical.

EDIT: Upon being asked by a friend, I checked and the window where you choose a server says the client is at version 844 on all of the windows I have open. And yet only the first client window I open has the updated font.

If it wasn't for this blasted font I wouldn't even care! But I hate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've honestly never seen this issue ever before. In fact, in reality, it should be near impossible to have both fonts displaying on two separate running games. The only way that would happen, in my head anyways, if if one game was opened then the font was changed and the next game was opened. That would cause both fonts to be loaded into memory simultaneously.

I'd recommend a computer restart. If the issue persists afterward, scrapping PWI and reinstalling PWI is recommended. Cause this issue is probably too bizarre to ever really understand...that is unless someone comes on after me and explains something otherworldly about what PWI is doing.

On that topic, how quickly do you open the games after one another? Cause there is a particular issue that occurs whereby the .pck files which have the font inside them get read-locked while PWI is starting up (and in some other small instances). It's possible that it's failing to access said file and falling back on a default. Also, do you have an anti-virus that watches the file system? That can also cause the .pck file to get read-locked causing the same issue. I could be way off, but I've got nothing else to go on as this issue is the definition of odd.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd start checking the files, sounds like you actually have two versions, which would mean two separate client folders. You cannot have both fonts in one client folder, and the font file being a different version than elementclient.exe will crash the client before it even loads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd start checking the files, sounds like you actually have two versions, which would mean two separate client folders. You cannot have both fonts in one client folder, and the font file being a different version than elementclient.exe will crash the client before it even loads.

How is it possible for that to happen? This is a new laptop (couple weeks old) so my download of PWI is recent, and only done one time. Up until maybe 5 days ago it was completely normal... then suddenly one day the second client I opened had reverted to default settings so I assume that is when things went wrong.

I deleted the shortcut and made a fresh one (because I had no idea what else to do lol) but that didn't work. This morning I ran a verify while I was out but I just checked and that didn't change anything either.

What files should I be checking? I looked everywhere for a possible second installation but found nothing.

To NRGLG - I tried waiting and opening the second client after the first had been running for awhile but no change. I have Windows Defender currently as my anti-virus and I'm not sure if that would be an issue as I have only had this computer for a couple of weeks, but it seems odd that the initial change (settings being reverted) wouldn't have happened right away then. I can't think of anything different that would have happened around that time actually.

I really don't want to have to reinstall! It's playable as it is but that font does drive me nuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks both of you for the help. Looks like Sylen was right; upon extensive searching I found some extra files in an invisible folder. A friend of mine says this happens sometimes when the initial install is in Program Files, because the computer doesn't like to modify files there so it will stick things in User.... so I am reinstalling now and specifically made a new folder for it on the C drive. Hopefully no problems in the future!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Starting with Windows Vista, odd permissions were added to everything put in the Program Files folder. I think it was an attempt to stop viruses and such, but has done nothing of the sort. Good idea putting it somewhere else. In the meanwhile, if you wish to take control of the Program Files folder, that is take ownership (change folder permissions), you may want to take a look at this. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

That's the second time I've linked to the Take Ownership registry change recently. People are having a lot of permission issues with this game lately.

edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks, that's a really good idea. My last laptop (Window 7) didn't give me much trouble in this area but Windows 8 has certainly proved annoying.

Especially annoying since every large program wants to automatically install into Program Files... I think I will definitely try that take ownership thing.

Anyway, all reinstalled now and working properly. Thanks again for the help. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]