Stormbringer guide?

Options
lazertazer0x
lazertazer0x Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Stormbringer
Is anyone going to make a full stormbringer guide (like what skills to keep maxed)? Or is it still too early for that?
Post edited by lazertazer0x on

Comments

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What skill to max?
    I have all my skills at maximum lvl.
    Now waiting for the sage release.
    giphy.gif

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Heres one guide:

if your a nub like me, make tiny flashcards with cast/cooldown, balls gained/needed to easier visualize a macro combo

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • dat1guyy
    dat1guyy Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Before I went serious with my Stormbringer, I would recommend maxing these skills first. But now since I am serious, I maxed them all out anyways.

I would recommend maxing Sonic Boom, Downburst, and Cloudburst as soon as possible. I found out that you get the most DPS if you stick to those three skills and of course other passive buffs such as Water/Metal Mastery. Use Avatar of the Storm(becareful since it is an AOE), Reaper Form, and Lunar Shadow (79 skill book pet summon) to thus maximize your DPS.

Constantly try to always cast Downburst at least every other spell cast to maintain the reduced channeling buff it grants to you as well as try to Cloudburst your targets within every 10 seconds to leave the mdef debuff applied. The thing is even with no Thunder Charges the debuff is still a whooping 30% reduction so don't fret over having to get as much Thunder Charges as possible since you are gaining better DPS from the Downburst's extra channeling reduction. Ice Bullet is great for the stun utility but is slight less damage than Cloudburst so I would not recommend using it on unstunnable bosses since I does slightly lower DPS)

The Basic Skill Combo might look a little like this:

Downburst > Cloudburst > Downburst > Sonic Boom > Repeat

alternatively

Downburst > Cloudburst > Downburst > Sonic Boom > Downburst > Sonic Boom > Repeat

Obviously if you are going against a mob weak against metal or water, you should prioritize majorly using one element over the other. If its DPS against lv ? mobs, then Avatar of the Storm is your most critical skill. If not then you could save the Chi and use Reaper Form in tandem in tandem with Triple Spark (I prefer it over Supercell's 30% skill dmg combo as I believe it grants more DPS along with MP refund).

I might be wrong but this is how i usually grab aggro first on bosses such as in FSP. Skills like Thundersnow with Call Lightning are not giving me better results in DPS than the one I mentioned above. Even with Reaper form where I can spam Thundersnow along with Cloudburst for the debuff isn't as strong due to the weak base damage that it deal and the damage or time is not that significant event at 5 maximum stacks. Call Lightning also costs Chi to use so it prevents other things like Avatar of the Storm or Sparking is be used as frequently.

Before I ramble too long, I would recommend maxing skills in this order:

Downburst* (bread and butter skill)
    Sonic Boom (use in between Downburst to gain Thunder Charges for Cloudburst)
    Cloudburst* (debuff+good damage)
    Ice Bullet (stun)

Then continue with:

Lunar Guidance
    Reaper Form*
    Blood of the Nightshade
    Water Mastery*
    Metal Mastery*

Lunar Shadow* (Lv 79 Book)
    Electrostatic Discharge (our infamous trump card)

* = DPS increasing skills

Note: I don't tend to use Supercell due to its long chanel and cast times

Keep in mind that I am solely referring to Damage Per Second on single targets. When it comes to AoE DPS and such I have seperate combos for that. The rest is more of a grey area like if you would like a lower cooldown on Lunar Blessing, Lunar Swiftness for Anti-stun and 50% speed, feel free to level them up.
  • lazertazer0x
    lazertazer0x Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dat1guyy wrote: »
    Before I went serious with my Stormbringer, I would recommend maxing these skills first. But now since I am serious, I maxed them all out anyways.

I would recommend maxing Sonic Boom, Downburst, and Cloudburst as soon as possible. I found out that you get the most DPS if you stick to those three skills and of course other passive buffs such as Water/Metal Mastery. Use Avatar of the Storm(becareful since it is an AOE), Reaper Form, and Lunar Shadow (79 skill book pet summon) to thus maximize your DPS.

Constantly try to always cast Downburst at least every other spell cast to maintain the reduced channeling buff it grants to you as well as try to Cloudburst your targets within every 10 seconds to leave the mdef debuff applied. The thing is even with no Thunder Charges the debuff is still a whooping 30% reduction so don't fret over having to get as much Thunder Charges as possible since you are gaining better DPS from the Downburst's extra channeling reduction. Ice Bullet is great for the stun utility but is slight less damage than Cloudburst so I would not recommend using it on unstunnable bosses since I does slightly lower DPS)

The Basic Skill Combo might look a little like this:

Downburst > Cloudburst > Downburst > Sonic Boom > Repeat

alternatively

Downburst > Cloudburst > Downburst > Sonic Boom > Downburst > Sonic Boom > Repeat

Obviously if you are going against a mob weak against metal or water, you should prioritize majorly using one element over the other. If its DPS against lv ? mobs, then Avatar of the Storm is your most critical skill. If not then you could save the Chi and use Reaper Form in tandem in tandem with Triple Spark (I prefer it over Supercell's 30% skill dmg combo as I believe it grants more DPS along with MP refund).

I might be wrong but this is how i usually grab aggro first on bosses such as in FSP. Skills like Thundersnow with Call Lightning are not giving me better better results in DPS than the one I mentioned above. Eve with Reaper form where I can spam Thundersnow along with Cloudburst for the debuff isn't as strong due to the weak base damage that it deal and the damage or time is not that significant event at 5 maximum stacks. Call Lightning also costs Chi to use so it prevents other things like Avatar of the Storm or Sparking is be used as frequently.

Before I ramble too long, I would recommend maxing skills in this order:

Downburst* (bread and butter skill)
    Sonic Boom (use in between Downburst to gain Thunder Charges for Cloudburst)
    Cloudburst* (debuff+good damage)
    Ice Bullet (stun)

Then continue with:

Lunar Guidance
    Reaper Form*
    Blood of the Nightshade
    Water Mastery*
    Metal Mastery*

Lunar Shadow* (Lv 79 Book)
    Electrostatic Discharge (our infamous trump card)

* = DPS increasing skills

Note: I don't tend to use Supercell due to its long chanel and cast times

Keep in mind that I am solely referring to Damage Per Second on single targets. When it comes to AoE DPS and such I have seperate combos for that. The rest is more of a grey area like if you would like a lower cooldown on Lunar Blessing, Lunar Swiftness for Anti-stun and 50% speed, feel free to level them up.
    Exactly what I wanted, thank you
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That also looks like more of a setup for while soloing things/grinding mobs rather than multiple targets (likely more OP than yourself).

If youre with a squad with a lot of casters, getting a 3 thunder charge cloudburst on the target repeatedly is more important than you keeping your channeling buff (especially for as long as we remain unable to make r9r3 and g16 and keep to lower refines). Especially on level 150 bosses make sure you're using your avatar of the storm and 79 skill, since they deal full damage.

If you have a lot of phys dd or a mixed squad, it may even be worth using searing moonlight. Your dps will be nerfed but you'll be increasing the entire squad's damage output. (Unfortunately this is harder on fsp bosses which have a variety of ways to interrupt you and prevent you from reaching that 15% damage increase)
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • dat1guyy
    dat1guyy Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That also looks like more of a setup for while soloing things/grinding mobs rather than multiple targets (likely more OP than yourself).

If youre with a squad with a lot of casters, getting a 3 thunder charge cloudburst on the target repeatedly is more important than you keeping your channeling buff (especially for as long as we remain unable to make r9r3 and g16 and keep to lower refines). Especially on level 150 bosses make sure you're using your avatar of the storm and 79 skill, since they deal full damage.

If you have a lot of phys dd or a mixed squad, it may even be worth using searing moonlight. Your dps will be nerfed but you'll be increasing the entire squad's damage output. (Unfortunately this is harder on fsp bosses which have a variety of ways to interrupt you and prevent you from reaching that 15% damage increase)

Note my second sentence and last paragraph.
    I would recommend maxing these skills first.
    Keep in mind that I am solely referring to Damage Per Second on single targets. When it comes to AoE DPS and such I have seperate combos for that.

The OP wanted to know what skills are best to first spend coin and spirit to max out. I gave just that, I never said I use it combo of every situation, its only one of many.

I made the assumption since there was curiosity over which to level first that this person is not as readily rich. Before I got my storm rr9 I used a similar path and it made questing and grinding a breeze. Since OP is still deciding what skills to get first, I presume he is not doing FSP or any big group instances yet, hence why my guide is centered around single target DPS.

This route includes the best skills for the best price in terms of spirit and coins. Eventually of course, every skill will be maxed and by that time more squad centered skills can be utilized during squad runs. b:pleased
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EDIT: Misread the skill order. But for Cloudburst to be effective, it has to actually boost damage enough to kill by one less attack required. Otherwise there's not really a point. It's why I went with primarily:

Repeat, Reaper Form, trip spark, Lunar, Downburst, Ice Bullet, Downburst.

The stun made sure you wouldn't get hit at all by any mob that fell victim to the combo that had ice bullet, and gives basically the same damage. Cloudbust was mainly useful if it was early enough, and even then it would have to boost damage enough for it to be an actual faster kill by at least one skill; which basically doesn't happen in normal grinding.

In groups, you either need full or don't bother. Nice thing is with full water combo, it's a Climate Shift away from max debuff. But usually, there are other classes applying their 40%+ magic debuff anyways, so over-writing it with a non-maxed one is bad form.

Haven't gotten to the point where it'll matter, but in theory Sonic Boom should be better DPS than Downburst. Since it has .2 seconds shifted from cast time to channeling, the higher the -chan the better Sonic Boom should be in terms of DPS compared to downburst.

The problem lies in animation time. Downburst is divorced from that to a degree, since the damage happens independently of when it looks like the tide should hit the target. But Sonic Boom has a longer animation and seems to have damage hit when it finishes.

Now in theory that should be truncated at higher levels of -chan, but there are some skills that have a minimum animation time; which means while on paper it should be better, it could end up nullified by have a higher animation time minimum than Downburst.

Also Downburst isn't needed every other skill by mid-game; the amount used will vary based off celestial choice and also how much -chan you have.

The situation is similar with the AoEs. Like in FSP, before you have high enough -chan, you're better off throwing in a Downburst on the phys immune target to boost the speed of all the other AoEs you are dropping. Eventually you will run into CD fatigue, where there isn't a point to using it to boost AoE damage since total cast time of our 6 main AoEs is 6.5 seconds, and they all have CDs of 10. At that point you just add in spells as needed to fill the time waiting on cooldowns to finish.

Thundersnow can be useful, but it can't have weaker SBs in the squad using it, and you never want to use Call Lightning to kill it. The point there is cast only often enough to keep it going. I haven't bothered testing to see if each cast just refreshes damage duration (in which case 5 stacks during reaper form and then keeping it going would be great), or if each new one both resets the duration and drops off the damage from the oldest set. But either way, it's technically going to be useful, just not enough to beat being lazy.
  • bloodedone87
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just get around 30 milions and max all your skills at lvl 10. Probably ot would not cost you that much. Then test your skills and see what combo may work for your style of playing.
    giphy.gif

• goldenarche
    goldenarche Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What should I do with the stats? All on magi?
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1 str 9 magic every 2 levels.

If you find you're squishy before rebirth, you could throw a few points into vit since rebirth will provide you with a free restat, but I wouldn't recommend vit for an endgame build.

• goldenarche
    goldenarche Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1 str 9 magic every 2 levels.

If you find you're squishy before rebirth, you could throw a few points into vit since rebirth will provide you with a free restat, but I wouldn't recommend vit for an endgame build.

Thanks!!
  • ctstew
    ctstew Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have noticed that the Regular skills on these new classes have an outrageous cost. What used to be the cost of a book skill now cost you the same to level up one level of a single skill.
    It seems PWI has got really greedy again lately with their prices and changed the availability with some items.
    As far as the Stormbringer skill set I advise leveling the combos skills you use the most before some of the others. Some skills you will have to level to open up the next higher skill and eventually you will need to level them all because most of the skills work together to build and release the charge buffs. The one SB skill I see as secondary would be "Climate Shift".
    Just to let those know if you don't already, is that the balls circling an SB represent the state of the 3 current charges, ice (blue) or thunder (Red).

Anyone know more about the skill books?
  • bloodedone87
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ctstew wrote: »
    I have noticed that the Regular skills on these new classes have an outrageous cost. What used to be the cost of a book skill now cost you the same to level up one level of a single skill.
    It seems PWI has got really greedy again lately with their prices and changed the availability with some items.
    As far as the Stormbringer skill set I advise leveling the combos skills you use the most before some of the others. Some skills you will have to level to open up the next higher skill and eventually you will need to level them all because most of the skills work together to build and release the charge buffs. The one SB skill I see as secondary would be "Climate Shift".
    Just to let those know if you don't already, is that the balls circling an SB represent the state of the 3 current charges, ice (blue) or thunder (Red).

Anyone know more about the skill books?

Dont know what you are talking about. I believe I payed 30 milions to lvl up al my skills from 1 to 10 which in my opinion is actually cheap.
    And i level up most of them in same time so i didnt care about the combos thing you talk about.
    In fact I didnt use any combos. In PVE doesnt matter that much since after being lvl100 and getting G16 and R9r3 you can 2-3 shot the mobs.
    And I dont know what you mean by '' open up the next higher skill''
    Skills dont actually work together to build up and release charge buffs.
    The water skills will give you Ice charges Metal skills give you thunder charges.
    giphy.gif

edited April 2015
    Options
    Maxing out a skill is actually a LOT less expensive than it would have been in the past. The fact that they didn't implement any books as skill drops saves you from dealing with having sonic boom and downburst cost >100m.

Leveling up with quests, even without jolly old jones, should provide more than enough for skills. Do your jolly old jones and you'll be fine. I leveled mine with quests and didn't give him extra coin from my main because he didn't need it.