Your take on SB

blackeroasis
blackeroasis Posts: 29 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Stormbringer
I just wanted to ask some SB's with good gear and refines how they felt about the class. I am at a cross road on which class I should choose for endgame. I feel like the SB is exellent against melee classes but will get wrecked by magic classes due to their defenses.

It kinda seems that distance (with the distance increase buff) or sticking to the caster like glue will be its only means of defense against magic damage. I mean I know they get a skill damage reduction but some how I feel that will not be enough.

Bottom line I really love the mobility of the class but I feel like the class will defenitely have a hard time against caster classes like cleric, mystic, wiz... hell even a veno can knock you out of reaper form with their transform skill which I think is OP o.O

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
Post edited by blackeroasis on

Comments

• Ibunneh - Raging Tide
    Ibunneh - Raging Tide Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I personally, love being a Stormbringer, so much in fact, I willingly switched my main to SB.

This class is extremely mobile, which is such a refreshing mechanic and also very stimulating.
    I love the way this class plays, it's style is tricky, and it actually takes some thought process with how skills work and when to time other skills along with charges, so it's challenging, but rewarding when I pull off a great combo.
    And my Stormbringer is sexy, I can't stop staring at it.
    As for it being weak to magic classes, I doubt it honestly, A mystic could possibly put us out without reaper form with Abosrb Soul. Venos, hmm could be a problem, but we now have a skill that allows us to resist a purge one time, which could be enough to throw off a combo from them, for a little while anyway, they have quite a few tricks up their sleeves. That being said, all classes have their disadvantages, and their advantages. I just personally love eaveything the stormbringer has to offer. b:thanks
    I love chicken wings and french fries! Yasssb:chuckle
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stormbringer all the way ofc, especially the demon ones :p

After all the fights and clashes with even higher (mostly way higher) geared ppl with still just my tiny r9r +7 weap I can easily say that this class has the potential to be the most powerful at endgame by far. The moving while casting will be major pain for any melee class once the gear is so good that u cant kill them with a single combo.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ... and therein lies the danger too, one versus ones with an endgame SB might simply be pointless and therefor not happen at all eventually. Not too worried about mass pvp situations since you generally have multiple characters focus on one in that situation, and the Stormies are squishy enough to not be able to handle that.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • ZentDreigon - Raging Tide
    ZentDreigon - Raging Tide Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ... will get wrecked by magic classes due to their defenses.

Wut? o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    > A demon is driven by desire, pure desire, that cannot be stopped by reason or logic. - Mo Zun
    > Believing in demons doesn't mean believing in evil. Demons are not necessarily an evil thing. - Chin Wuming
  • Joe - Morai
    edited March 2015
    Wut? o.O

Ya. They won't get wrecked by magic classes. it's quite obvious why. Simply because they dont have less magical defense compared to the other caster. Take the veno for example. She also got nothing to boost her magic defense, same goes for Psys (altho white voodoo is a thing for defense) and if we are talking about max buffed gameplay like NW/TW there isnt a dif between all caster classes in terms of mag def (cept for wiz, but wiz cant increase metal or wood defense).

If you are an endgame SB with full josd and constantly buff your demon Lunar Guidance then you end up at ~120-130 def level...I dont wanna go too far here but I dare saying that there is no killing a max buffed/130 def lvl SB ever. By no class. At least not alone And especially not within melee range :p physical or magical dmg does not really matter as you would have nearly the exact same defenses for pdef and mdef on very endgame, buffed ofc.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You're forgetting purge Joe ;)

Strip all those defenses and they're just another JOSD caster. With low control resistance and a tendency to stay close range. But yea, they'll be rather pointless to one on one at endgame. I know I won't bother to...
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Joe - Morai
    edited March 2015
    You're forgetting purge Joe ;)

Strip all those defenses and they're just another JOSD caster. With low control resistance and a tendency to stay close range. But yea, they'll be rather pointless to one on one at endgame. I know I won't bother to...

Ya. We got an anti purge skill tho. Could save the buffs tho then again in mass pvp the purges will rain down on any threat so I guess you're right and that account.

Still...as I am the person I am and did that all the time with the barb I'll surely do that on the SB too. I will always fight selfbuffed altho my buff is ****. I will try doing this even in NW Cause honestly...even with my current gear I wouldnt be able to get killed if fully buffed. Thats just redicolous. Thats why I hate buffs. Totally debalancing the game.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • koryn7
    koryn7 Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ya. They won't get wrecked by magic classes. it's quite obvious why. Simply because they dont have less magical defense compared to the other caster. Take the veno for example. She also got nothing to boost her magic defense, same goes for Psys (altho white voodoo is a thing for defense) and if we are talking about max buffed gameplay like NW/TW there isnt a dif between all caster classes in terms of mag def (cept for wiz, but wiz cant increase metal or wood defense).

Cough. Mystic Cough. b:surrender

Wood, water and physical +90-100% depending on demon or sage. Not to mention leeching mistress to gain another 100% magic defense on top of the buff from verdant shell for 20 secs.
  • caius775
    caius775 Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mystics are truly hard to kill, but... SB hard alone for mystic to kill as long as SB knows what they're doing... Then the mystic will eventually get tired of the endless battle and go more aggressive... They forget to pop a petals or heal then it's gg SB wins.... It's hard to say tho its up to the players cause a mystic in my hands I'll I'm confident I can be most SB my gear range... If I ok a clone of my self it's impossible to say who wins... End result class doesn't matter player and gear/items matter
  • Puddinsundae - Harshlands
    Puddinsundae - Harshlands Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They'll probably actually be even easier for mystics to kill 1v1 than psys are since their only way to lower absorb soul's damage has a full minute of downtime. Without their demon form, it'll be like hitting a veno in human form with absorb soul, and endgame mystics can bypass venos and psys with just storm leech, tangling mire, and absorb soul.

I'm not sure if it'll be as one sided as mystic vs psy, but I'm positive sb will have to put in a lot more effort to kill a mystic than the mystic would killing them.
  • caius775
    caius775 Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not that much effort if your experienced and trained against mystic. SB has a ton of options to avoid and cancel soul. Also transformations duration. Only annoyance for me is it seems the mystics I faced so far that I can tank stay on the defensive they just don't die without me going crazy with detailed and well timed tactics to take them down. Under these conditions trying to hit me with soul is very risky and can end badly for the mystic unless your a demon mystic with decent Chan and the SB genie/pot counters are on CD mystic can insta cast 3-4 souls in a minor short combo and be done with it. That's what I would do its my favorite tactic as a demon.
  • xoinix
    xoinix Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As I said in another thread a mystic should win over the SB in most fights unless the mystics sarts half assed playing. Only real protection SB have is their reaper form and their bubble of Godhood. Not saying that all a myst has to do is give a SB a cold stare and they are going to drop but based off what I know a mystic can do vs arcanes I'm giving the myst the majority.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Mystics will have a slightly harder time vs. sbs than psys simply due to the dev's mentality of "lets just shove every ****ing possible CC on one class; ttly balanced, yo", but they really shouldn't have too many issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Im currently leveling both stormbringer and duskblade.

SB seemed like a glorified wizzy with movement.

DB i thought was awesome with the solo aspect especially the warp kill warp kill combo

but somehow.... to me, SB seemed a bit more versatile in terms of survivability. My main is a seeker and i tend to rambo. SB can allow me to do that to some extent, even as a mage class. With DB i cannot and have to be more careful =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Puddinsundae - Harshlands
    Puddinsundae - Harshlands Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    caius775 wrote: »
    Not that much effort if your experienced and trained against mystic. SB has a ton of options to avoid and cancel soul. Also transformations duration. Only annoyance for me is it seems the mystics I faced so far that I can tank stay on the defensive they just don't die without me going crazy with detailed and well timed tactics to take them down. Under these conditions trying to hit me with soul is very risky and can end badly for the mystic unless your a demon mystic with decent Chan and the SB genie/pot counters are on CD mystic can insta cast 3-4 souls in a minor short combo and be done with it. That's what I would do its my favorite tactic as a demon.

You start off saying that it wouldn't take that much effort, and then you mention having to go through a bunch of trouble to kill mystics on "defensive". o. o Defensive for mystics at equal gear vs other casters is just keeping falling petals up with the occasional break. And I'm not sure why you're implying that there's any huge vulnerability or risk in going for absorb soul when falling petals lasts longer than even its base channel, and the most efficient combo for absorb involves storm leech anyway. Most serious PvP mystics are demon anyway. Again, I can't really speak for how easy or not it would be to kill them yet, but my point is that the SB would have a harder time than the mystic.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You start off saying that it wouldn't take that much effort, and then you mention having to go through a bunch of trouble to kill mystics on "defensive". o. o Defensive for mystics at equal gear vs other casters is just keeping falling petals up with the occasional break. And I'm not sure why you're implying that there's any huge vulnerability or risk in going for absorb soul when falling petals lasts longer than even its base channel, and the most efficient combo for absorb involves storm leech anyway. Most serious PvP mystics are demon anyway. Again, I can't really speak for how easy or not it would be to kill them yet, but my point is that the SB would have a harder time than the mystic.

At the same time, SBs can stunlock with a mix of stun and freeze effects, for quite a while. You just won't see that happening, until more SBs start creeping above -80% channeling to actually pull it off in a way that works. And even breaking out of a stun, leaves them vulnerable to the freezes. Can't really heal, when locked. So should be interesting to see the match up when SBs actually figure out how to gear properly, as right now they are just even posting about it. Which is weird, because it seemed obvious to go full -chan just from downburst skill add alone. Add in 3.5 channel times, and it's even more blatant.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    At the same time, SBs can stunlock with a mix of stun and freeze effects, for quite a while. You just won't see that happening, until more SBs start creeping above -80% channeling to actually pull it off in a way that works. And even breaking out of a stun, leaves them vulnerable to the freezes. Can't really heal, when locked. So should be interesting to see the match up when SBs actually figure out how to gear properly, as right now they are just even posting about it. Which is weird, because it seemed obvious to go full -chan just from downburst skill add alone. Add in 3.5 channel times, and it's even more blatant.

The smart ones already figured it out and are just working towards it. The rest will bandwagon once it starts giving people problems to deal with. After all, a majority of people were still clueless enough to be asking for exact builds from day 1 instead of using some (un)common sense to figure out the obvious. b:chuckle
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Most serious PvP mystics are demon anyway

What means "serious PVP mystics" and would you have some statistics to share ? I know it's off-topic so you can answer in the mystics section and I'll see it, but I'm really interested.

Back to topic, we have some discussions ongoing in the mystics section about stormbringer vs mystic.
    In my opinion mystics will be huge favorites just because they have much survivability and will be able to rely on Absorb Soul.
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89