PV question

Options
dashadow922
dashadow922 Posts: 7 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion
After doing a quick search for Phoenix Valley and seeing not much other than people whining about pill babies and such (I didn't look too far don't burn me too much if this has been answered previously) I decided to just make a new thread..

I did my first PV-95 run (never done PV at all and I'm so mad at myself for that) on my Lv99 RB1 Seeker. Basically what it comprised of was a squad mate aggroing about 20-30 mobs and sending em after me while I'm Vortexing (had Herb Yuanxiaos set on auto potion so I could chain it indefinitely). Surprisingly enough with my TT99 Green Scimitar and defense-buffed through the nose I took them all on and subsequently took them all out. I was not expecting that, it was insanely hilarious watching all the red dmg just fill my screen and so many being criticals.

One problem.

My friend (Lv97 sin) was with us in squad. Turns out he got next to NOTHING for experience! I was killing the mobs so fast he couldn't hit them at all (and he says you have to hit them for EXP.. it sounds strange but I wouldn't know since I was obliterating everything)...

My question?

Is there a relatively simple way for him to at least smack some of the mobs I'm going to town on with an aoe? Never played a sin and so far at Aware of the Void he has one AoE that costs 2 sparks (and that'll eat most of what he'd need for his Demonic to get his aps up to regen the chi) ...

Is there another skill he should look forward to that'll AoE? Or is our best bet to put together a Zeal with a ton of MAG and VIT and 2 or 3 of the genie AoEs? If so, which?

Or am I completely wrong and proving my own idiocy?

Thank you in advance ladies and gentlemen.
Post edited by dashadow922 on

Comments

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    He should get exp from mobs even if he just follows you guys.
    he doesnt have to hit any mob to get exp if he in a squad and the rest or some OP player is killing them.
    As long as he got his hypers on he should get exp as long its not a bug or something.
    giphy.gif

• Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    While in squad, XP gets divided evenly between party members.
    Was he red-chested perhaps? (Earning time ran out?)

If you feel he has to hit em, just have him stand right on top of your vovo and use Earthen Rift.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • ltea
    ltea Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your friend should get exp only by following you.
    My guess is that your friend didn't have hypers activated and was on exhaustion time, which makes non-rb toons receive only 10% exp.
    Gracess (rb2 102 Cleric) - Dreamveawer
    GraceStorm (rb2 102 Stormbringer) - Dreamveawer
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    While in squad, XP gets divided evenly between party members.
    Was he red-chested perhaps? (Earning time ran out?)

If you feel he has to hit em, just have him stand right on top of your vovo and use Earthen Rift.

PV is not affected by earning time so it wouldnt matter if red chest or not.
    giphy.gif

• christer
    christer Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not to mention that clerics would have a big disadvantages if they were only there to heal the puller/tanker and not being able to hit the monsters due keeping the HP of the party members.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ltea wrote: »
    Your friend should get exp only by following you.
    My guess is that your friend didn't have hypers activated and was on exhaustion time, which makes non-rb toons receive only 10% exp.
    ^^ This is most likely the issue

Having to hit to get exp only applies to veno pets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dashadow922
    dashadow922 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys. I could've sworn he was getting exp from all the kills but he said he wasn't getting anything. Doesn't help I was RB1 and literally hit 99% after that run. I'd hit for the 6x Hyper bonus as well as a Silkworm but he did too. He's not RB yet which probably partly explains it.

My original assumption was that you got EXP as long as you were in squad and within range (when he mentioned only getting EXP for things he hit it just baffled me because that was never the case for me. I thought it might've been a PV only thing). We didn't really compare how much EXP we got in total (he just didn't get "much" which is relative).. I didn't really get "much" either and I didn't really check how much I'd actually gotten number-wise. Was having too much fun spinning around and obliterating PV95 mobs by the dozen.

Probably all it boils down to is however the EXP share mechanic really works (when I played in 2009 if you had a bunch of low lvl toons and one lvl 70 something all close to each other no one really got any EXP, not sure how it works now) and the fact I was using the 4x bonus from the RB1 that stacked with the hypers and maybe the silkworm too. I didn't level (I'd started at lvl 99 with at least 60% EXP, think it was at least 70 or 80% and I finished with under 300k to level to 100) so I took the run for all I could. As for my friend's sin he didn't have the 4x bonus (and although he didn't need as much exp as I did to get next lvl he also probably didn't have much to begin with)..

Appreciate all of your input. We'll get some more information when we do the next PV run and see what's actually going on. I used a Profundity Scroll to top me off to lvl 100 so the EXP bonus is gone, which means one less thing to worry about when comparing.
  • ltea
    ltea Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I personally have noticed some strange exp nerf while i was rb'ing and below 100, and my 100+ friend dragged me along through FC. But it was my exp nerfed, like I didn't have 4x bonus. In the middle of the run she switched to her rb sin which was also below 100 and my exp gains jumped up.
    But if that's the case, your non rb friend should be nerfing your exp, not vice versa.

Anyway, provide more accurate info with more concrete numbers from your next run. b:victory
    Gracess (rb2 102 Cleric) - Dreamveawer
    GraceStorm (rb2 102 Stormbringer) - Dreamveawer
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can't speak that well about the past month and a half or so, but since the December expansion for SBs it has definitely been working.

I leveled and RB'ed my SB within that first month both times, and every single time I never had an issue with xp. And that includes the first run-through, where I RB'ed my BM to drag my SB through for the boosted xp without issue. Every single time the xp gain ended up exactly where it should be.

So unless they changed something mid-way through January, which I seriously doubt, it's most likely someone who thought math had no real world application and can't even mentally do multiples up to 12. You know, that easy **** 4th graders do.
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can't speak that well about the past month and a half or so, but since the December expansion for SBs it has definitely been working.

I leveled and RB'ed my SB within that first month both times, and every single time I never had an issue with xp. And that includes the first run-through, where I RB'ed my BM to drag my SB through for the boosted xp without issue. Every single time the xp gain ended up exactly where it should be.

So unless they changed something mid-way through January, which I seriously doubt, it's most likely someone who thought math had no real world application and can't even mentally do multiples up to 12. You know, that easy **** 4th graders do.

I too leveled my SB without issue about a month and a half ago. I also was helping my friend level hers just last week and she didn't get any exp nerf either, beyond what's expected by using a higher level toon. You definitely don't need to damage the mobs though cause if you did, the alts would have received about 100k exp from a whole set of 4 pvs.

I think your friend just doesn't know how to math, or didn't use hypers or something.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes