PWI Oldies

13»

Comments

• Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh I understand there pain! I feel sad when people turned my offer of help down...it was like the only thing I would have to do in game/want to do in game. Grinding and quests would get tedious without people doing it with you

Depends how people played. I eventually chose my main to be cleric the week after sanc opened, and focused on them until I moved Christmas 08. And for me, grinding was pretty interesting.

Basically I'd either solo AoE large groups of poison mobs (I posted how to do large pulls half a year later on forums) with non-farming focused gear, which meant a single ****-up would kill me. Before that I would farm the minions of alucard and go to the very middle of the pack, no charms, and would not self-heal until below 300 health.

Without Attk blessings and such, this would mean you would be a one-shot to any sac strike or inc mag attk minion that spawns near you, or any minion that popped in melee range. I always had to focus on the radar, drop wings, use apoth, etc to survive if such a thing happened while waiting for IB to gets its first proc.

For me, that kept grinding fun. If I healed when needed, it would be completely boring. The way I played it, necessitated playing at top form at all times, or I died and lost a good chunk of xp. I had to hit after-cast cancels every time, and even now I don't play that well because gear and opponents don't even come close to requiring it.
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    Tiramnia - Sanctuary Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Depends how people played. I eventually chose my main to be cleric the week after sanc opened, and focused on them until I moved Christmas 08. And for me, grinding was pretty interesting.

Basically I'd either solo AoE large groups of poison mobs (I posted how to do large pulls half a year later on forums) with non-farming focused gear, which meant a single ****-up would kill me. Before that I would farm the minions of alucard and go to the very middle of the pack, no charms, and would not self-heal until below 300 health.

Without Attk blessings and such, this would mean you would be a one-shot to any sac strike or inc mag attk minion that spawns near you, or any minion that popped in melee range. I always had to focus on the radar, drop wings, use apoth, etc to survive if such a thing happened while waiting for IB to gets its first proc.

For me, that kept grinding fun. If I healed when needed, it would be completely boring. The way I played it, necessitated playing at top form at all times, or I died and lost a good chunk of xp. I had to hit after-cast cancels every time, and even now I don't play that well because gear and opponents don't even come close to requiring it.

My main char being my veno, I didnt need to grind with others, but letting my pet tank while I killed stuff was a little tedious. I ended up not following recommended stats so in higher lvl I was able to tank lower lvl bosses hahaha, which was strange for people to see, all I needed was a cleric and I would keep agro on myself, my crit and hp was too high to the point I would steal agro too easily.
  • maestro121
    maestro121 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is it G +
    W +
    W?

I believe it is.

Xainou's sig reads, "Outrunning centaurs since 2012"

The game launched in that year (with much hullabaloo on these forums about how it was gonna "kill" PWI) and Centaurs play a prominent role in the lower level areas (depending on what race you spawn).

Of course I could be wrong. Only she knows for sure. :-)
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    maestro121 wrote: »
    I believe it is.

Xainou's sig reads, "Outrunning centaurs since 2012"

The game launched in that year (with much hullabaloo on these forums about how it was gonna "kill" PWI) and Centaurs play a prominent role in the lower level areas (depending on what race you spawn).

Of course I could be wrong. Only she knows for sure. :-)

How'd they last that long in there? I got bored within the first month, and I played well over 10k hours on the first one.

It sucked because leveling crafts to max, leveled you up as well. So in order to stay current craft gear for level, you'd level out while doing it.

And endgame was a joke, because I ended up fully end game geared in one dang day. All I did was play the material market, while buying what I needed. I kept making more than I spent buying what I needed to level my craft with.

So I max leveled and geared my first character, in the first 2 weeks. Even with the new content, it added nothing I needed to do. And then they separated pvp and pve, which then made pve gear completely pointless.

Drok running was idiotic, and I never participated in (didn't suck enough in pvp to need it), but what they went with instead just left nothing to actually do. If you played the PvE, you couldn't craft. If you crafted, you couldn't play the PvE. And the jump games were moronic.
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    How'd they last that long in there? I got bored within the first month, and I played well over 10k hours on the first one.

It sucked because leveling crafts to max, leveled you up as well. So in order to stay current craft gear for level, you'd level out while doing it.

And endgame was a joke, because I ended up fully end game geared in one dang day. All I did was play the material market, while buying what I needed. I kept making more than I spent buying what I needed to level my craft with.

So I max leveled and geared my first character, in the first 2 weeks. Even with the new content, it added nothing I needed to do. And then they separated pvp and pve, which then made pve gear completely pointless.

Drok running was idiotic, and I never participated in (didn't suck enough in pvp to need it), but what they went with instead just left nothing to actually do. If you played the PvE, you couldn't craft. If you crafted, you couldn't play the PvE. And the jump games were moronic.

Wow that does not make me feel even slightly interested in it at all!
  • Sfrenchie - Sanctuary
    Sfrenchie - Sanctuary Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Played in beta then stopped for a bit. Came back and joined my first guild , Oldies! Miss all the old players. Made amazing friends (and lost one, r.i.p Arumium/Coy!)Moved on to other factions with some of them. Shout out to anyone who I played with. Don't play anymore though. Can't really find anything that has quenched my pvp style (pw pvp is amazing)
  • Skippy - Dreamweaver
    Skippy - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I played the mentioned game on release, absolutely 0 challenge to it, i never got so bored of a game so fast and the game did not live up to the hype

At least this game is challenging and rewarding. Altho i have gripes with how RNG this game is with its freemium BS
  • maestro121
    edited February 2015
    I played the mentioned game on release, absolutely 0 challenge to it, i never got so bored of a game so fast and the game did not live up to the hype

At least this game is challenging and rewarding. Altho i have gripes with how RNG this game is with its freemium BS

Eh... the MMO in question is designed in such a way that once you reach end game, everyone is supposed to be more or less on equal footing gear wise. Thus... particularly in PVP... individual skill comes into play more. I know that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but judging by the fact that after three years the game is still heavily populated (and with an expansion just advertised), it shows there is obviously a market out there for MMOs of this type.

And LOL... I'm not sure what's so challenging about PWl anymore... not when you have the ability to outgear everything in PVE... as well as outgear your opponents in PVP too. b:pleased
  • Skippy - Dreamweaver
    Skippy - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    maestro121 wrote: »
    Eh... the MMO in question is designed in such a way that once you reach end game, everyone is supposed to be more or less on equal footing gear wise. Thus... particularly in PVP... individual skill comes into play more. I know that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but judging by the fact that after three years the game is still heavily populated, it shows there is obviously a market out there for MMOs of that type.

And LOL... I'm not sure what's so challenging about PWl anymore... not when you have the ability to outgear everything in PVE... as well as outgear your opponents in PVP too. b:pleased

Couse the challenge for me is to get the gear to be as good as i can be, i think thats fun and exiting, the mentioned game did not offer that challenge for me so i lost interest
  • maestro121
    edited February 2015
    Couse the challenge for me is to get the gear to be as good as i can be, i think thats fun and exiting, the mentioned game did not offer that challenge for me so i lost interest

Which is fair enough. I gather you're probably more into the grindy Asian type MMOs where getting that new tier of gear is a reward in itself. And as I said that's fine. It just shows there is something out there for everyone. b:cute
  • Dragonaa - Lost City
    Dragonaa - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How's it hang'in?b:surrender
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    How's it hang'in?b:surrender

Slightly to the left, thanks for askin!
  • Falun - Archosaur
    Falun - Archosaur Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This game keeps pulling me back during breaks for sure, all those good memories from the past b:laugh
    Would say the time i miss the most is before the r8/r9 sales, it was a simple concept but well executed imo.
    I sadly can't remember who mentored me on my first char b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Awesome siggy by Silvychar <(^_^)>
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    This game keeps pulling me back during breaks for sure, all those good memories from the past b:laugh
    Would say the time i miss the most is before the r8/r9 sales, it was a simple concept but well executed imo.

My mentor still plays apparently haha....it could be that awkward case where he doesnt remember me though Q.Q
  • Chrisssss - Sanctuary
    Chrisssss - Sanctuary Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I assume your meaning me =P And I vaguely remember the Character name, haha but it has been a long while now! Do you still play or do you just live in the forums? I would suggest we play together sometime except currently my OS is broken and I have no interwebs at home Q.Q it sucks growing up!

Still kicking in game and on the forums
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are these 'oldies' really playing or just lurking around on the forums >.> cause i am playing fo realz

I'm still fully playing on "HT-server", but have barely shown up much anymore in "Lost, Sanc & Archo servers" so those characters that I still have in those servers are pretty much retired nowadays...b:thanks
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Still kicking in game and on the forums

Haha I feel surprised that I am even vaguely remembered, I wasn't particularly useful or strong, I mostly just accidentally aggrod mobs b:chuckle
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I gotta say that TheDan, Regicide Leader, inspired my BM, Nahktuul, which inspired Narla, which was the Nefarious of Archosaur Server :)

Thanks, Danny b:kiss
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not playing anymore, but I'm lurking on the forums from time to time.

Joined in July 2008, a couple of days after the forums opened. Before the first beta that happened in august 2008 iirc, and the game launch in early September 2008.

At this time we had two admins on the forums : Orinj and Xarfox. The communication between PWI's staff and the players was much better them.

I remember the time when gold was selling for 70.000 coins, and when the cap for selling it was set at 1.000.000.

I remember one of the first events to happen on HT : Orinj was spawning a higher level TT or FB boss and we would swarm on it to kill it (at the time no one probably even still owned a TT weapon so it was quite a challenge). At one time he made a bad manip and spawned a few hundred copies of the same boss all stacked in one spot, which resulted in a server crash.

I remember when we created Radiance, with KittyKat as a guild leader.

The game changed so much since then (and not for the best, in many ways), it's really like if it's an entirely different game than back then.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    karmelia wrote: »
    I'm not playing anymore, but I'm lurking on the forums from time to time.

Joined in July 2008, a couple of days after the forums opened. Before the first beta that happened in august 2008 iirc, and the game launch in early September 2008.

At this time we had two admins on the forums : Orinj and Xarfox. The communication between PWI's staff and the players was much better them.

I remember the time when gold was selling for 70.000 coins, and when the cap for selling it was set at 1.000.000.

I remember one of the first events to happen on HT : Orinj was spawning a higher level TT or FB boss and we would swarm on it to kill it (at the time no one probably even still owned a TT weapon so it was quite a challenge). At one time he made a bad manip and spawned a few hundred copies of the same boss all stacked in one spot, which resulted in a server crash.

I remember when we created Radiance, with KittyKat as a guild leader.

The game changed so much since then (and not for the best, in many ways), it's really like if it's an entirely different game than back then.

I started just before genies came in. Honestly it had the best game community of any game I have played back then, I have tried soo many games and most of them there is a very big lack of game community in game, most of the communities are a bunch of horny tweens.

Those were the golden days back then, things were hard, it was fun finding little glitches and people actually hung out in the game, often in plume, and fb wasn't just a matter of getting one high lvl char to run the whole thing for you.