edited February 2015 in General Discussion
Thoughts? Is Pwi a game worth it?
Post edited by Tiramnia - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If they gave me a quarter for finding a thread like this since 2008.... b:chuckle id be rich
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    Tiramnia - Sanctuary Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If they gave me a quarter for finding a thread like this since 2008.... b:chuckle id be rich

They were around in 2008? Really? Maybe I didnt read about the oculus rift properly, I only spent all day at work doing that
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think they were more referring to VR headsets in general since VR headsets have been around for ages. Since the late 1980s at least.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think they were more referring to VR headsets in general since VR headsets have been around for ages. Since the late 1980s at least.

Oh right, but then why is there any hype around the oculus?
  • freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've tried PW with Nvidia Vision 2 , while the 3D works (not perfect, there is some visual effect that messed up) but the texts are still in 2D. So when the 3D is on, the texts don't have depth and it's not pretty to look at. I bet it'll look the same way for the 2D texts on Oculus Rift if anyone managed to get it working.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh right, but then why is there any hype around the oculus?

Price and enthusiasm. Enthusiastic people have the ability to make even the worst sounding product sound like something you might want to buy. As for price, I think it was around $250 for one. Which in VR headsets pricing is pretty cheap.
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I played around with it on the 3D glasses a while ago and it really wasn't worth it. I don't see the Oculus being any better.

The games layout and textures are just too out-dated to benefit from it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    freygin wrote: »
    I've tried PW with Nvidia Vision 2 , while the 3D works (not perfect, there is some visual effect that messed up) but the texts are still in 2D. So when the 3D is on, the texts don't have depth and it's not pretty to look at. I bet it'll look the same way for the 2D texts on Oculus Rift if anyone managed to get it working.

I suppose it would be better to play games that have included the 3D txt into the game for VR haha
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hmmm I have noticed people saying that it would be no good becuase of the outdated 2D txt. Well let me re-phrase, would anyone conider it for pwi IF it had the 3D txts built into the game so that VR could be used with it better? (hypothetical here, I know the chances of THAT happening is 0%) I know there are games that have had the 3D put into it specifically for VR, and there is a very few mmorpgs that have done/doing the same for a good VR experience. I am rather keen to try out one of them specifically. Has anyone had a good experience with VR in general though? Assuming that you didn't have hopes too high to be let down in the first place.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hmmm I have noticed people saying that it would be no good becuase of the outdated 2D txt. Well let me re-phrase, would anyone conider it for pwi IF it had the 3D txts built into the game so that VR could be used with it better? (hypothetical here, I know the chances of THAT happening is 0%) I know there are games that have had the 3D put into it specifically for VR, and there is a very few mmorpgs that have done/doing the same for a good VR experience. I am rather keen to try out one of them specifically. Has anyone had a good experience with VR in general though? Assuming that you didn't have hopes too high to be let down in the first place.

Well yeah, if the PWI interface would function in a good 3D setting it would be awesome. When I was doing my testing the overall effectiveness of the 3D conversion was really nice overall. The only problem was that trying to read anything gave you a headache. I have a video posted somewhere that I took and you can use R/B glasses to view it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well yeah, if the PWI interface would function in a good 3D setting it would be awesome. When I was doing my testing the overall effectiveness of the 3D conversion was really nice overall. The only problem was that trying to read anything gave you a headache. I have a video posted somewhere that I took and you can use R/B glasses to view it.

Well then I guess the idea of VR is to get it close to being in the game, so sound is a big part of it, you would need to be able to communicate without typing and reading, as well as having sound accuracy around you to make you feel more IN the game. Too bad the concept of nervegear is still only a concept. From what I read, it would be really difficult to make it a thing, without frying our nervous system or skin penetration, but then again there have been experimental prosthetics that are becoming more robotic in terms of you can make the arm move, via your own nerves.
  • freygin
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well then I guess the idea of VR is to get it close to being in the game, so sound is a big part of it, you would need to be able to communicate without typing and reading, as well as having sound accuracy around you to make you feel more IN the game. Too bad the concept of nervegear is still only a concept. From what I read, it would be really difficult to make it a thing, without frying our nervous system or skin penetration, but then again there have been experimental prosthetics that are becoming more robotic in terms of you can make the arm move, via your own nerves.

[Troll]
    Wait until God descends to earth and walks among us as man and share His technology from upstairs then we'll have a full fledged and working nervegear. b:chuckle

We could have it in probably 20 years from now if He's willing to do that because He has to follow earth physics and undergo humanly process from baby to adult to tell the idea without us being suspicious about where the tech coming from, else we'll have to wait maybe a few decades or even centuries lol
    [/Troll]
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    [Troll]
    Wait until God descends to earth and walks among us as man and share His technology from upstairs then we'll have a full fledged and working nervegear. b:chuckle

We could have it in probably 20 years from now if He's willing to do that because He has to follow earth physics and undergo humanly process from baby to adult to tell the idea without us being suspicious about where the tech coming from, else we'll have to wait maybe a few decades or even centuries lol
    [/Troll]

Take away the god part and your pretty much on track. but if you read about the prosthetics part then how long do you think we really have to wait for something like nervegear? If people are already starting to make prosthetics that respond to the nervous system then, wouldnt that suggest that the technology is moving fairly fast, or at least would depending on the success of a prosthetic
  • freygin
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Even though technology is moving very fast, still..no technology on earth could come close to SAO's Nervegear. That gadget needs divine intervention. Oculus Rift is a stripped-down version of NerveGear by a lot. b:chuckle

Same as making a robot or android as human as possible, sure it's advanced, it has the look, it has 'intelligence', but at the end of the day, it's still far from the real us, humans b:chuckle

Anyway, about Oculus Rift, is it really that good ?

(I only have nvidia 3dvision2 , but it gives me headache easily, and not all games are optimized for it so there are issues here and there in every game. Besides, with 3d on I only get like half the framerate because it renders twice for left and right eye, should go with SLI for optimal experience, but it's not something that I might want to use everyday so it's just sitting somewhere collecting dust)
  • Tiramnia - Sanctuary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Even though technology is moving very fast, still..no technology on earth could come close to SAO's Nervegear. That gadget needs divine intervention. Oculus Rift is a stripped-down version of NerveGear by a lot. b:chuckle

Same as making a robot or android as human as possible, sure it's advanced, it has the look, it has 'intelligence', but at the end of the day, it's still far from the real us, humans b:chuckle

Anyway, about Oculus Rift, is it really that good ?

(I only have nvidia 3dvision2 , but it gives me headache easily, and not all games are optimized for it so there are issues here and there in every game. Besides, with 3d on I only get like half the framerate because it renders twice for left and right eye, should go with SLI for optimal experience, but it's not something that I might want to use everyday so it's just sitting somewhere collecting dust)

Haha saying divine intervention only reminds me of the fact that humans play god anyway. Nervegear, I doubt would need godly powers to create, the thing is that the idea of something like nervegear has been around for a good long time. Right now its only relative, to assume it would be too hard, however lets say in 5years time, this convo wouldn't be relative because maybe at that time technology has grown so fast that such a thing is completely fathomable. I dont think comparing robots to humans is a good comparison to nervegear and something like it. Its would make more sense comparing say a real iphone to a knock off iphone.

I would really like a headset, but even if I just wanted to try it no one around where I am would have one, so I would have to buy it. I can imagine there may be headaches involved here and there, I suppose being selective would be key though.