Are your credit cards maxed?

eirghan
eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
I'm just curious what percentage of people are supreme cash shoppers, or cash shopping on borrowed time vs. Who play for free off of that support. Ive seen 16 year olds on my server go from g16 to r999 +12 full creation stone in a matter of months. Ive also seen free to play players get end game gear over night.

So now is your chance. Vote anonymously. No shame.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DoodsWH - Sanctuary
    DoodsWH - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what about those of us who dont use credit cause there is always cash in the bank? b:victory
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I cash shop a lot but never use credit cards, savings, etc. 400+ Zen purchases over the years and no balance here.

Then again, I have job that pays fantastically well.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to buy a little gold here and there from time to time, usually for a flyer, piece of fashion or for coin to buy skills etc.

I stopped buying gold sometime in 2010 I think. I had to save up money for college, and I couldn't (and still can't) afford to spend money on this game.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I cashshop occasionally. Never with a credit card tho, I would never spend beyond my means or disposable income on a game.

To me, cashshopping isn't the big taboo some people make it out to be. Its entertainment, no different than spending to go to the movies or lotto tickets (equivalent to packs) or whatever floats your boat for entertainment. I spend on the basis of that, usually only when there's a good sale on. Different people have different amounts of disposable income for entertainment, and I don't think the negative things said to people who spend more because they can is fair. People don't go up to strangers with exotic cars and give them a hard time about what they spent on it, for example. Not like what happens in micro-transaction MMO's.

Free-to-play players going endgame overnight might have been working on it or saving up for it for a long time and did the entire upgrade in one shot.
  • zenmonkeyzzz
    zenmonkeyzzz Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've often suspected that most people at least occasionally cash/ credit shop in this game. Most do it without making any fuss and perhaps because of the slight stigma attached to it. Although I'm a totally free-to-play player (with pretty average gear to prove it b:chuckle), I agree fully with the previous poster. If this is someone's idea of fun / entertainment there is no harm with spending on the game within moderation, and they are essential to the game's future.
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I throw I some money from time to time usually holiday season since people send me a PW gift card.Even when I do use my own money its because I have it to spend.Making in game isn't hard these past years so I either buy from ah or don't get any at all.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to cash shop a little every few months, but I stopped a few years ago. Looking at my purchase history it seems that some time in 2010 I stopped, and every year since then it seems I only charged once per year.
    These days I only charge when PWI implements something I really like, the last time I bought Zen was when the Nightshade expansion launched.
    I could afford to charge more often if I felt like it I suppose, but I don't since I don't really feel like PWI gives the service and quality of experience they used to, and I'm pretty sure most people would agree. Vote with your wallet they say, and I agree, so I give them a little money when they do something good, and I guess that works out to them doing something good once a year >.>
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've been playing since 2008 or so, on my original account when I played on Sanctuary. I can't check my purchase history on that one, but I'd think it was similar to 2010.

Looking at my purchase history on this account, from March 2010 to December 2010 I spent $1,135.00 on this game.

From January 2011 to July 2011, I spent $105. I did not charge again until January 2012.

From January 2012 to November 2012 I spent $390. I did not charge again until July 2014.

From July 2014 to present I have spent $80.

Total spent on this account over the course of 5 years: $1,710.
    Total spent total since start in 2008: I estimate around $2,700-$3000.

2012 was a hard year for me personally, which would explain the increase.

I have the means to charge like I did in 2010, and then some. But PWE lost my $$$ when they started not giving a **** about this game.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My Credit card has been at -$4.17 for the last two months and my sin is sexy. I don't know what the op is getting at > : (
  • therev
    therev Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i dont own one yet i used prepaid
    https://youtu.be/opVr7YZgLwc
    As Above, So Below MementoVivere
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah I just get prepaid cards.
  • Bellicious - Dreamweaver
    Bellicious - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've made almost all of my money in game even though people seem to believe otherwise.

I put in a little when I first started but then found ways I can make money and make money fast.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to be a cash shopper during the early stages of the game. (it was my first PC mmo and I thought it was normal) When the first anniversary packs came out i realized I cant keep up with all this spending. This was well before the R999, R9, R8, or nirvana days. This is when i learned to merchant and have been merching since. Merching has allowed me to be able to spend way more and gear myself better, all the while my characters just sit on their **** and do nothing.

Maybe once or twice a year i spend about 50$ or so for special occasions just to indulge myself and gamble on packs. I think of it as going to vegas without the airfare b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • DoesntMatter - Harshlands
    DoesntMatter - Harshlands Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My credit cards are maxedb:laugh but its not because of pwi b:pleased ... I waste too much money on car modding b:pleased
    //#######################################//
    Surviving in a world full of crazy humans, or perhaps i am the crazy one?
  • shashahah
    shashahah Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    99.9999% free to play here

i csed 25 bucks once back in 2009 when i was totally new to the game and MMO scene and a fellow guild member talked me into it cos the "new flyer was sooo cool"

found ppl who showed me how to merch/farm afterwards so cash-free ever since and proud of it

and ye there seems to be kind of a "stigma" to CSing like u guys have already mentioned
    imo theres nothing bad about it altho i dont do it myself (students - no money n stuff lol)

what i personally absolutely dislike, however, is ppl who cs like hell and both talk and look down on others cos they r "worth less" cos they dont have as much money

absolutely no-go (and yes theres players whove said that face to face to others)
  • Angels_Age - Dreamweaver
    Angels_Age - Dreamweaver Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to be a HEAVY cash shopper. Not heavy like the people who have maxed nuema portal sets and full +12 josd. Occasionally, I have put in $400+ in one day, but no more than 3 times. other than that, I used to do about $100 a week, depending on the sale or the gold price.

But after about 4 years of playing, i figured out my priorities in life, and have only put in a few bucks here or there to get a auto-pot stone. Other than that, cash free.
  • Boomz - Harshlands
    Boomz - Harshlands Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've made almost all of my money in game even though people seem to believe otherwise.

I put in a little when I first started but then found ways I can make money and make money fast.

welcome to my world. Did you know you must be a cash shopper if you can make over a billion coins a month on my server? Honestly its not that hard. And for those folks bad at math which is a scarily large percentage of you that means i'm making as much coin as people putting in on my server equal to about 350 a month.
    ░░░░███████]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ cause i can't make art, so i made
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤this awesome tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1 shot king. LV 150 FSP bosses hit for 3m. Top Player hit record: 652,656.
  • eirghan
    edited February 2015
    I think the people who get blamed for being "csers" when they arent is because people so often see "farmers". (you know the ones i mean - the ones who clearly have never farmed an instance in their three lives). And these fraud farmers claim this probably because they are ashamed to be csers. Because a lot of real farmers think they are plain stupid for paying for something they could farm. And ive seen a lot of name calling on both sides.

Ahhh the age old battle.

Really i dont think its anything to be proud / ashamed of if you farm or cash shop. Its just another way to be "better". Just do what you do.

I mostly started this thread because i was curious how many people actually sacrifice their future in their strive for the need to be on top.

I see a lot of bad decision making as far as strategy. Both farm and cash shop. Selling nudes. Marrying rich in game to have your gear bought for you. And of course. Credit cards.

Just seems like a huge sacrifice to me.

Ps halfrican, we all know you earn your millions by merchanting rice
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't believe in credit cards, therefore I don't have one. I have however used a prepaid card when I first started out for a few outfits of fashion and bought a bride and groom pack when they went on sale. Never been a big spender on free-to-play games to begin with. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • JustAllEvil - Harshlands
    JustAllEvil - Harshlands Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to cash shop a lot but never gone into debt or used a credit card for it.

Don't cash shop anywhere near as much anymore, get stuff other ways.
    Sometimes snarky, but will always bake you cupcakes.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Eh, I think the only ones who should have much of a stigma are the ones who are F2P, have huge mark-ups with shops selling 24/7 and take forever to sell.

Even if they make the sale, the fact is unless the mark-up over easy sale value is a large enough amount to cover the wasted KW of electricity running the shop while not selling, they basically could have used that money for electric bill to buy zen and come out ahead. That's when I just think of them as a dumber version of a CSer.

Though it is great when you are in a setting where utilities/house is paid for by the company you work for. At that point you have no reason to care, since the electricity is completely free and just another "use it or lose it" style perk. That's pretty much the only true F2P merchant system, since the rest of the time we're technically paying for electricity to run the shop.

It's why I always aim for the most efficient merchanting, as opposed to charge as much as possible for the blue moon sale. There is always the rl cost nowadays to deal with, so I aim to earn as much as possible for as little possible spent on electric bill. Otherwise it's P2P while I delude myself into believing it's F2P.
  • nbreaking
    nbreaking Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to cash shop quite a bit back when I played in the Harshlands server. In Raging Tide however I put in 50 euros when I started, bought my r8 on sale and that's it, since then I merchanted and farmed (ikr? some people think farmers can't merchant for some reason) my way to get aps gear and r9rr. My gear is +8 (3 pieces) and +10 the rest. When people ask me how much I charged for my stuff I say 50 euros and nobody believes me lol...

Anyway, been playing for less than a year in RT, and would charge a lot to be honest, only problem is that I don't have the funds to do it.

Mr. Justice
  • eirghan
    edited February 2015
    Ive personally been on both sides of the coin (ha ha) having been laid off i had the luxury of being a full time farmer/merchant. I enjoyed that time and the satisfaction i got from doing everything myself. Ive also spent a pretty penny in game once i was able to farm real life again ;) to me its all about balance, which sure can be hard. I just hope anyone maxing their cards knows they can still be op AND buy a house in a few years for their family...
  • passionateone
    passionateone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    eirghan wrote: »
    I'm just curious what percentage of people are supreme cash shoppers, or cash shopping on borrowed time vs. Who play for free off of that support. Ive seen 16 year olds on my server go from g16 to r999 +12 full creation stone in a matter of months. Ive also seen free to play players get end game gear over night.

So now is your chance. Vote anonymously. No shame.

You could of been anything but you chose to be salty.
    The saltiness is real
  • iperen
    iperen Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    CSer and proud to be one b:cool I don't see any reason to be ashamed of having a job that allows to put some, or even a lot, of money in a hobby activity. Heavy or reasonable, that's subjective to me. As long as someone doesn't put in more money then they can afford, I don't see it as bad. But often the community forgets that also goes for spare time.

Seriously, with the current unemployment and difficulties people have to get a job, pretending to be a hardcore f2p player would be the very last thing to do on my logic-list.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am not paid for my equipment real money.

I worked in game to get my equipment and I know, that in real life people get better salary, than players in game.

Also I don't believe, that massive amount of gold is easy to get for every player, like said OP.

In game is no more gold, than bought by cash shoppers.
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The thing one must remember, is if there are no cash shoppers, there is no game to play.

Like others have said, playing MMOs is a hobby for us all. None are perfect, none are without issues, but at the root of it all, we enjoy playing them, and if it were not for those of us who spend money to get items in the game, PWE, or any other MMO publisher that uses a F2P model, would not have the income to keep the game running.

It doesn't matter if you spend $10 a month, or $1000 a month. Every dollar counts. I know a few pseudo-F2P players that spend around $10 a month to aim towards keeping the game running. If most would do that, then the game's longevity would extend even more than it has. What is $10? Two cups of Starbuck's coffee? A dinner consisting of a #6 large size combo meal at a fast food restaurant? A movie ticket? Or hours of fun playing an MMO? I prefer the latter.

While the purely F2P player is dependent on the CSer to keep the game running, they must realize, someone has to pay for it. And the CSer must also realize that a F2P player is an additional person that adds to the number of players in the game.

To boast you spend no money on the game does PWE no good at all. Spend $10 a month or every two months. And the CSer need not boast they spend thousands on the game. Its not about the haves and have nots. Its about the CSer and F2P players co-mingling together in a symbiotic relationship. Just don't spend outside of your means. No hobby is worth that.

So when you think about the countless hours you spend playing the game, next time you want a #6 combo meal, or a large Starbucks triple latte, instead, save that towards buying a few zen and extending the life of the game.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The thing one must remember, is if there are no cash shoppers, there is no game to play.

This.
    I'm glad we have CSers because I get to play this game for free.

I don't like the power creep and gear gap, but that's kinda PWE's fault for putting gear in the boutique. I mean if it's there you can't expect people not to buy it. I know I would if I could afford it, instead of spending time farming and such, heh.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Free to play here, but considering to cash a bit. It's frustrating to try to get caught up with factionmates who can log 10+ hours a day, while you have a fulltime job yourself... I haven't figured out -how- to do the whole Zen thing yet though.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Bellicious - Dreamweaver
    Bellicious - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Like others have said, playing MMOs is a hobby for us all. None are perfect, none are without issues, but at the root of it all, we enjoy playing them, and if it were not for those of us who spend money to get items in the game, PWE, or any other MMO publisher that uses a F2P model, would not have the income to keep the game running.

It doesn't matter if you spend $10 a month, or $1000 a month. Every dollar counts. I know a few pseudo-F2P players that spend around $10 a month to aim towards keeping the game running. If most would do that, then the game's longevity would extend even more than it has. What is $10? Two cups of Starbuck's coffee? A dinner consisting of a #6 large size combo meal at a fast food restaurant? A movie ticket? Or hours of fun playing an MMO? I prefer the latter.

While the purely F2P player is dependent on the CSer to keep the game running, they must realize, someone has to pay for it. And the CSer must also realize that a F2P player is an additional person that adds to the number of players in the game.

To boast you spend no money on the game does PWE no good at all. Spend $10 a month or every two months. And the CSer need not boast they spend thousands on the game. Its not about the haves and have nots. Its about the CSer and F2P players co-mingling together in a symbiotic relationship. Just don't spend outside of your means. No hobby is worth that.

So when you think about the countless hours you spend playing the game, next time you want a #6 combo meal, or a large Starbucks triple latte, instead, save that towards buying a few zen and extending the life of the game.

How about this?

When they port this to a new engine that supports DX11 and multi core rendering I will give PWE some money.

The fact is they don't deserve my money. They have not updated their game with content which isn't cash based in how long?... Ever? :P

Their customer support is going down the toilet. They wont even replace peoples mistakenly made wrong class r9 rings... Come on now.. that's just low. This game's F2P model is to sell to the 10% of cash whales that spend a truckload of money on here rather than aim for the higher percentage with lower cashing per person.

You have to spend money to use global chat... The best gear costs $1500 without a sale and still you need to upgrade that with over $1000 more worth of refines to even start competing with the current VISA swipe champions. Everything in this game requires money. Worst... F2P Model.... Ever.

Not worth your money, don't give it to them. Don't buy into the power creep this game is ruled by. Spend your money on a beastly computer and play another MMO. This one is not worth it.