Problem pulling agro w/life hunter

Salari - Raging Tide
Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Assassin
So yeah, the past few fs runs i have been in, i can easily pull agro from the barb/tank just spamming lifehunter. The first couple bosses is not a problem but when I get to toad things can get messy real quick. I have tried trading of other skills between life hunter hits, but that really is not helpfull. I am almost tempted to just bow at range on toad. Does toad say anything when he is going to throw his facerolling punch?

Any tips?
Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
Post edited by Salari - Raging Tide on

Comments

• DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It shows the text "only barbarians can blabla his somethingsomething hit".
    A second or 1-3 after that he slaps.

If people don't like it, just stand down and hit only every once in a while, or throw in a subsea.
    After a bit just slap it normally.
    Or wait for a chop to happen, go all out for a little bit until (just before) an axe gets thrown and pray to pan-gu the barb knows what fleshream / stomp of the king / any other aggro grabbing skill is.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • Marengo - Lost City
    Marengo - Lost City Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So yeah, the past few fs runs i have been in, i can easily pull agro from the barb/tank just spamming lifehunter. The first couple bosses is not a problem but when I get to toad things can get messy real quick. I have tried trading of other skills between life hunter hits, but that really is not helpfull. I am almost tempted to just bow at range on toad. Does toad say anything when he is going to throw his facerolling punch?

Any tips?
    This is really a serious problem. I don't know what to advise... Maybe... bow at range on toad? If it doesn't help, I think you should talk with barb about it and find out if his weap is decent enough to hold agro before fs run. If not, you can refuse to go with this squad and find another. It may take a while, but apparently worth it. Another option is to apply to support/quality corner and to ask to nerf life hunter. I saw my squad mates switching weaps on toad, but that's so ridiculous. r9r with lvl1 weap, haha! I never understood that and always spark on toad + dd like crazy b:cute I can feel your pain, bud b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
    pw art ◊ tinyurl.com/q6ca7ar ◊
  • Socqar - Lost City
    Socqar - Lost City Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is really a serious problem. I don't know what to advise... Maybe... bow at range on toad? If it doesn't help, I think you should talk with barb about it and find out if his weap is decent enough to hold agro before fs run. If not, you can refuse to go with this squad and find another. It may take a while, but apparently worth it. Another option is to apply to support/quality corner and to ask to nerf life hunter. I saw my squad mates switching weaps on toad, but that's so ridiculous. r9r with lvl1 weap, haha! I never understood that and always spark on toad + dd like crazy b:cute I can feel your pain, bud b:sad

holy damn lord of trolling... >.<

Real sins pull agro at Toad spamming a SiNGLE skill (QQ) and TANK it!

That's why I avoid sins in my FS squads, because gtfo you're OP enough!
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah either switch weps or pull aggro hold it and tank it.

Toad will throw an axe then several seconds later do the non-kitty-oneshot. This pattern repeats every 30 seconds until toad is dead. In between deaden, faith, apo, triple spark, expel, and even tidal if you're feeling a Russian roulette, you should be able to tank it np unless you have crappy ping.

If you have someone else expelling you, can use Will surge to resist the seal. Just make sure you check your protections settings.
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Satyrion - Sanctuary
    Satyrion - Sanctuary Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When you know his attack pattern you can also keep an eye on the stun-DoT from toad. The 2nd agro in squad will be stunned and debuffed by DoT and your agro will be set back to 0. You can take advantage of this knowledge by doing more DD after getting stunned by the DoT skill from toad. I have been able to triple spark and do a few nice crit hits without taking agro from decent geared barbs (my r999 +12 weap vs their g15-g16 +5 stuff)
    Of course I would still try hold back a little if you see too many zerk-crits or something. I would also learn his attack pattern first in case you actually get agro so that you'll be able to time AD or something. He's pretty easy to resist when you know when.

If the next stun then goes to someone else (easily happens if there's another high DD) I would not go max out on DD again before you got another dot-stun
    youtube.com/user/Cebloon
    ~ not that there is that much to see (yet?)
  • Socqar - Lost City
    edited February 2015
    When you know his attack pattern you can also keep an eye on the stun-DoT from toad. The 2nd agro in squad will be stunned and debuffed by DoT and your agro will be set back to 0. You can take advantage of this knowledge by doing more DD after getting stunned by the DoT skill from toad. I have been able to triple spark and do a few nice crit hits without taking agro from decent geared barbs (my r999 +12 weap vs their g15-g16 +5 stuff)
    Of course I would still try hold back a little if you see too many zerk-crits or something. I would also learn his attack pattern first in case you actually get agro so that you'll be able to time AD or something. He's pretty easy to resist when you know when.

If the next stun then goes to someone else (easily happens if there's another high DD) I would not go max out on DD again before you got another dot-stun

I didn't know that DOT - axe did reset agro o.o I knew that it was directed to the 2nd main agro keeper after the tank, but reseting agro? That's some nice knowledge...

Easy tip then: Spark-crazy-DD right after you get the DOT on you, it's pretty much save? xD
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Or wait for a chop to happen, go all out for a little bit until (just before) an axe gets thrown and pray to pan-gu the barb knows what fleshream / stomp of the king / any other aggro grabbing skill is.

What, there's barbs that try to tank frog without spamming ream and stomp?
    That said, aps it until a chop, use Deaden, then go all out until you're hit by the chop. And preferably don't stand side by side with people who don't have deaden....
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • kuroshin191
    kuroshin191 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I believe that is the same problem as many people face, especially archers who can get his aggro pretty easy. The easiest solution is to change your weapon while and save the trouble for your squad. It's funny when you see a r9+12 Archer triple sparking, getting aggro, killing the whole squad and then just say "lazy barb". There are also lazy barbs who can't work in aggro, but that's the other side.
  • DionDagger - Dreamweaver
    DionDagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Easiest solution. Lower your dps on bosses you know you can't tank.

If we need to tell you HOW, then you should just stop now.
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What, there's barbs that try to tank frog without spamming ream and stomp?
    That said, aps it until a chop, use Deaden, then go all out until you're hit by the chop. And preferably don't stand side by side with people who don't have deaden....

At toad, I run in and bestial onslaught him to bring him to corner. I switch in tiger form to run in the corner because it is faster that way, and after first axe I stomp of the king him quickly. Then I switch in human and tank toad with my skill spam macro rest of the dungeon.¨

Can't say I'd have lost aggro to a sin before, couple times few r9rr+12 archers but that's really all I can reckon. And yes, they've been all out.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the replies even the troll ones :). I think the problem comes from when everyone drops a debuff on him and I spark mire-ep with a str genie, I am getting in the 200k crit area which catches up with the barbs agro pretty quick.

Can't say I'd have lost aggro to a sin before, couple times few r9rr+12 archers but that's really all I can reckon. And yes, they've been all out.

This has happened to me several times on drake using a g16 bow. The barb would get a bit angry because the boss would reset as he could not hit me up in the air with the cleric b:chuckle but never with toad.

Thanks again for the replies guys, I have a few different sets of daggers I can mess with and see which is the best for decent damage and at the same time not agro'n.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    MMORPG beginners lesson 3: Controlling agro as a DD.

Step 1:
    When entering squad, click barb and inspect. Look at his HPs and refines. Maybe at first youll need to ask a few times if he is str or vit build, after a few times you can easilly judge that for yourself.

Step 2: Look at barb weapon and other gear that makes him do more dmg. How does this compare to your gear ?

step 3: Get to conclusion.
    -If barb is strength build and outgeares you a decent bit or he is vit build and outgears you a lot, no problem, go have fun.
    -If barb is strength build and has about equal gear, OR he is vit build and outgears you quite a bit, be carefull, dont use life hunter and elimination, but go allout with everything else.
    -If str barb has lesser gear than you or is vit build with equal gear, use bow at range.

PS: Always wait until 1-2 seconds at least after the barb is attacking. If you both start at the same time and you crit while he doesnt, that can always be a problem. So let him get in 2 attacks first. If he sparks, wait for that too.

With practice you will learn where to draw the line. Use the non critical bosses to practice this, take some extra care on bosses you really cant tank.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited February 2015
    At toad, I run in and bestial onslaught him to bring him to corner. I switch in tiger form to run in the corner because it is faster that way, and after first axe I stomp of the king him quickly. Then I switch in human and tank toad with my skill spam macro rest of the dungeon.¨

Oh, i go stand right next to it, down the stairs, hugging the wall of his pool. This does not agro him yet.
    when everyone is present, I cast onslaught on it so that it will walk around and down the stairs to attack me. This way it will be turning its back to the squad. I dont need to move and can use the time he is walking to spark. Then i start my DD macro :)

I lost agro a few times to end game sins who spark as i do and then start with elimination+life hunter. I assume they are babies who want to prove that they can out-DD me even though it causes them to die.
    And evryn, yes we tank standing up and it works waaaaaay better than in tiger form. (if you are str build with decent refined R9)
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited February 2015
    I can tank toad until he does his slap b:chuckle, but yeah re-learning to control agro should not take to long. I can just go back to regular skill spaming or bow him to death. I am not sure on barbs gear I will look at that next time. One instance was a psy.

One this is for sure, life-hunter is op and I am using g16 daggers, can't wait to see what r9 can do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Socqar - Lost City
    edited February 2015
    I can tank toad until he does his slap b:chuckle, but yeah re-learning to control agro should not take to long. I can just go back to regular skill spaming or bow him to death. I am not sure on barbs gear I will look at that next time. One instance was a psy.

One this is for sure, life-hunter is op and I am using g16 daggers, can't wait to see what r9 can do.

Or you could learn to play your class and tank Toad o.o "his slap" can be tanked by any sin worth his salt, and it was explained in previous posts actually.

Spark it, immune it, deaden it... just that easy >.<
  • butterglobe
    butterglobe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I noticed this hasn't been suggested.

To release agro, just force stealth. Boss will immediately turn to the next highest dmg dealer (or barb). Forcing stealth gives you a clean slate (resets back to 0) so just continue to wack with all your might and the boss should be dead before you can steal aggro again.

This simple method also works on other bosses in other instances like AEU etc. Try it.
  • Socqar - Lost City
    edited February 2015

To release agro, just force stealth. Boss will immediately turn to the next highest dmg dealer (or barb). Forcing stealth gives you a clean slate (resets back to 0) so just continue to wack with all your might and the boss should be dead before you can steal aggro again.

This simple method also works on other bosses in other instances like AEU etc. Try it.

Does this really work? o.o Even on 150 (?) bosses? o.o

I gotta try it with my archer then, because we can also force stealth and this would be pretty useful for us
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    edited February 2015
    Oh, i go stand right next to it, down the stairs, hugging the wall of his pool. This does not agro him yet.
    when everyone is present, I cast onslaught on it so that it will walk around and down the stairs to attack me. This way it will be turning its back to the squad. I dont need to move and can use the time he is walking to spark. Then i start my DD macro :)

I lost agro a few times to end game sins who spark as i do and then start with elimination+life hunter. I assume they are babies who want to prove that they can out-DD me even though it causes them to die.
    And evryn, yes we tank standing up and it works waaaaaay better than in tiger form. (if you are str build with decent refined R9)

Ah yes that spot is optimal for getting a nice start-up in DDing. I've been experiencing around at different spots in the treasure room to tank him, however when tanking near the stairs it seems like people are more eager of getting in front of him and being 1 shotted. Once I went into his pool (accidentally though) and tanked him from there, that worked cool, just hope you're not lagging when you need to get out of there. b:laugh

Some barbs on our server go stand to one of the corners and waste two sparks into using berserker's wrath on the boss... or in some cases one spark for ancestral rage.

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This has happened to me several times on drake using a g16 bow. The barb would get a bit angry because the boss would reset as he could not hit me up in the air with the cleric b:chuckle but never with toad.

Thanks again for the replies guys, I have a few different sets of daggers I can mess with and see which is the best for decent damage and at the same time not agro'n.

xD No prob. Just hire me as a Barb as I'm usually in the 700k-3m range with debuffs on fsp bosses =P

People, roll STR Barbs. Aggro problems solved.

As for Bosses in fsp:

Toad:

I usually stand right at the place where he spawns (directly behind him when he spawns) and start off with pentrate armor -> triple spark -> Onslaught and so on. Ofc that requires the squad to wait for my sign to call it. Otherwise I just Holy path to the same spot as mentioned above and do the same stuff.

Blossom:

Not worth mentioning anything really. Just attack and kill.

Mushi:

I noticed only very few people are actually doing it effective. They always tend to pull mushi down the stairs which I find a massive waste of time.

I let one mob alive...go up the stairs and wait for anyone to stand in front of the sockets at the ending of the stairs (which will lead into them not getting pushed away). Once the mobs is dead I spamm Tab + random skill button to immidiatly get aggro. With me being with my back against the wall and the others also unable to get pushed back it usually goes way smoother than the regular way. Granted...with complete randoms that would be a huge mess to get all people to stand there which is why I always duo FSp with my GF. Cleric + Barb = Epicness in FSP (Also helps getting a vortexing twink for Azeroth).
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • Selbronne - Heavens Tear
    Selbronne - Heavens Tear Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    as ppl said u have 2 options.
    one is leting the barb tank by not DDing/stopingDD when u get agro/jsut debuffing.

other one is better option: How about u learn to tank toad by urself ? u basicly gotta put deaden on and then DD + spark to resist the one shot. (tip: one shot is 5 sec after certian red text, u will figure out which one). When ur deaden is gone then just use apothecary to resist oneshot.
    If that's still not enough get urself a gennie with expel and high magic regen to expel urself (or have a freind that will expel u). U won't need a barb then to tank it.
    that's all there is to it, btw. sins and psys are the only 2 classes that have it easiest with tanking toad.

Ps.
    @Colum

i gotta agree, only good barbs tank toad in human b:chuckle

Ps2.
    @Socqar
    Nah the stealth dosen't work on lvl 150 bosses, since ur stealth lvl is at best 136 and boss detect lvl is 150 (only exception is stealth given by aeu bushes, aslo pills to see the riders on bushes path in aeu give higher detection lvls)

Ps3.
    @Joe
    That's actualy nice idea with Mushi. I wonder if u could get him interupted like the first boss in fsp so he dosen't buff himself, that whould save a lot of time :)
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited February 2015
    Yes i waste time and 2 sparks pulling mushi with berserkers wrath b:laugh

I use that time to spark while he comes down the stairs though so it doesnt really feel that bad. (With CE)

The most important for mushi efficiency is not to spark every time he gives you sparks. Instead, spark when your spark is about to run out. Use CE/Tea if needed. Make 3 spark cycles in 2 of his chi cycles and be perma sparked.

Him giving you sparks does not kill you if you have 2.99 sparks. I believe actually even when your low into the third spark it doesnt kill you. I dont know exactly, but i have done it like this all the time. There haven been many occasions where i was tired, stoned and whatever and thought that he should have killed me because i sparked too late and he gave me sparks when i was near full yet i didnt die even once.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited February 2015
    Spark it, immune it, deaden it... just that easy >.<

lol and you talk learning ones class, that is not tanking, that is running away.

That could work, but it has never worked for me in the past, maybe just lag and i did not notice it. I will see how that goes.
    xD No prob. Just hire me as a Barb as I'm usually in the 700k-3m range with debuffs on fsp bosses =P

lol wow thats some srs dmg there b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Satyrion - Sanctuary
    Satyrion - Sanctuary Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I didn't know that DOT - axe did reset agro o.o I knew that it was directed to the 2nd main agro keeper after the tank, but reseting agro? That's some nice knowledge...

Easy tip then: Spark-crazy-DD right after you get the DOT on you, it's pretty much save? xD

Hmm, I guess it's depended on how much aggro the barb have been able to build up meanwhile. I wouldnt go full out DD still around beginning. If the boss already below 50% and the dot comes to you, I believe you shouldn't worry too much - of course keep an eye open still. But yes it resets aggro. I've also seen so many clerics failing at the very beginning of toad by healing the barb if he gets stunned at beginning, 0 aggro on barb and toad turns around directly towards cleric ready to do his one-shot. I did so many face palms watching clerics on toad...
    youtube.com/user/Cebloon
    ~ not that there is that much to see (yet?)
  • Socqar - Lost City
    edited February 2015
    lol and you talk learning ones class, that is not tanking, that is running away.

Either you quoted wrong or you didn't udnerstand what I wrote.... since when tanking toad by spark, deaden, expel, apo... is running? Don't you have sins doing that in your server?

Are you ignorat or just trolling?
  • Infamous_me - Archosaur
    Infamous_me - Archosaur Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The easiest way to not aggro is to just let barb/rest of squad get him down to about half hp before u start attacking. Me personally I just tank him if the barb cant hold aggro. Can be easily tanked if u know how to time ur sparks. He will say "Only Barbarians can tank....", then he will turn, stun the squad and debuff someone, then he will do the one shot. Or if u and someone else have expel, you can take turns expeling and purifying urself. I hope this info helps. Good luck!

b:thanks
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited February 2015
    Whut, did you become so OP that you have to tank infa ? b:chuckle

Just joking, miss you and my other ex faction cuties... b:cute
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited February 2015
    Either you quoted wrong or you didn't udnerstand what I wrote.... since when tanking toad by spark, deaden, expel, apo... is running? Don't you have sins doing that in your server?

Are you ignorat or just trolling?

tanking, the ability to take hits, evading them is not tanking... its evading
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Afaria - Morai
    Afaria - Morai Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Learning your class, the ability to know your strengths and weaknesses and making the best out of it, this includes:
    Knowing what you can tank
    Knowing how not to get aggro from something you can not tank

As a sin, you should also be aware you **** sparks, which brings you to:
    Spark to tank/evade or what you want to call it
    Deaden nerves to tank (is tank ok on this one? cause you take full dmg from it...)
    Any sort of immune to tank/evade or what you want to call it

And a plus side, tidal will make you evade most of his stuns...

My g16 sin is able to tank toad, you should (in theory) be also
  • Deadalus - Harshlands
    Deadalus - Harshlands Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For me its that simple:
    i tank every boss except toad because im way too lazy to deal with the onehit slash he has, so i equip my APS set and go APS with my bow which deals quiet nice damage over time.

Sure i could go better and try to tank the boss and actually dont be lazy for once but i never saw someone complaining and its not like i do that with every boss.
    The rest of the bosses i either tank or deal serious damage so yea.
    Most of the time the last boss doesnt even get to his buffs because good BMs wait until he is 10 seconds away from it and throw DG then to kill him fast.

So yea theres that.

PS: sometimes i aggro the toad with my bow which is kind of sad (+0 G15 Nirvana bow with Spirit Blackhole)
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    edited February 2015
    Then by Salari's logic no one except barbs is able to tank toad because evading isn't tanking.

... *facepalms*

Don't sins do most of their tanking by evading stuff anyway? Let's look closer... tidal evades ****, focused mind evades ****, so does DN, sparking and rib strike - also your evasion.

So... if a mob misses you, you're not tanking, you're evading? b:shocked