A question re: Computer ID, please.

_Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
_Wesa_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
I've come back to PWI after not playing since summer 2014 to find that ARC is now forced on us. I don't mind this too much, although I believe it has no real function other than to group PWE games together in one place. I don't need that because PWI is the only PWE game I play. To me it's just bloatware taking up space and resources on my pc.

Anyhoo, ARC deposits a file, somewhere, that is supposed to ID a computer that is authorized by the player. This, too, I don't mind so much except that I have found no information on just where this file was deposited on my pc. Should, sometime in the future, I decide to leave PWI for good and uninstall ARC and PWI, I'd like to know that this little ID file is also gone or can be removed manually.

Don't get me wrong, I have no immediate plans of leaving PWI anytime soon outside of periods of inactivity. But I do have a right to know where this file and all files not in the PWE folder are being stored. This pc belongs to me, not PWE.

Can anyone answer this for me?

Thank you, in advance! b:thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"People are capable of kindness beyond angels, yet we also commit sins that would put a demon to shame... We all stand precariously on the edge between darkness and light... And when we fall, we are greeted by only madness and chaos." ~Raogrimm: Galkan Talekeeper, Final Fantasy XI.
Venomancer 100: _Wesa_ - Semi-Active - Faction Leader: Jerusalem
Cleric 100: LilyKatt - Retired/Deleted. All storage Characters: Deleted
On Facebook: Manny's Menagerie
Post edited by _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Ao - Raging Tide
    Ao - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can't answer your question, but if the fact it stores a file somewhere bothers you, there is a way to play PWI without arc - you just have to delete the arcsdk.dll file (96KB) in your Launcher folder. And you can start the client normally like before, from elementclient.exe without Arc. I, too, think it's useless and only takes RAM, but you will need it to redeem the weekly codes for blessings and what not. And you have to delete the .dll file every time you start the launcher, because it downloads it again. Good to have you back! b:cute
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    I can't answer your question, but if the fact it stores a file somewhere bothers you, there is a way to play PWI without arc - you just have to delete the arcsdk.dll file (96KB) in your Launcher folder. And you can start the client normally like before, from elementclient.exe without Arc. I, too, think it's useless and only takes RAM, but you will need it to redeem the weekly codes for blessings and what not. And you have to delete the .dll file every time you start the launcher, because it downloads it again.

It doesn't bother me that the file is there as long as I am still playing the game enough to keep it installed, despite any long periods of inactivity, like I just had. I just want to know that the file is removed upon uninstall or can be removed manually should I ever decide to quit PWI completely. It would bother me to know, or even just think, that some part of the client is permanently left behind should I ever desire to no longer be a part of the game.

As for the dll file, it's not worth the trouble if I have to delete that file every time I start the client. I simply do not have ARC set to start when Windows starts, and I make sure to completely exit the platform from my task bar when I log out of the game (it will remain running otherwise).
    Good to have you back! b:cute

Thank you very much! b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People are capable of kindness beyond angels, yet we also commit sins that would put a demon to shame... We all stand precariously on the edge between darkness and light... And when we fall, we are greeted by only madness and chaos." ~Raogrimm: Galkan Talekeeper, Final Fantasy XI.
  • Grimmjow_X - Dreamweaver
    Grimmjow_X - Dreamweaver Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wow you noobs let me tell you how to make arc NEVER start

go to into the pwi folders find the file named stringtab

now you have a few options, delete it or edit it.

i edited it

in the file you delete all after line 177, and you will never have arc running again only when to redeem codes for blessing and free stuff

as for the PC ID it is morelikely stored on a pwi server, if it is not it is in the Windows Registry

you enter that with window+r
    type regedit
    and start seaching for perfect world folders
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    Quote:
    wow you noobs let me tell you how to make arc NEVER start

go to into the pwi folders find the file named stringtab

now you have a few options, delete it or edit it.

i edited it

in the file you delete all after line 177, and you will never have arc running again only when to redeem codes for blessing and free stuff

as for the PC ID it is morelikely stored on a pwi server, if it is not it is in the Windows Registry

you enter that with window+r
    type regedit
    and start seaching for perfect world folders

If you read the TOS, it states the file is deposited on the players pc. Also, if you delete a file like that or edit it, the game replaces it.

Don't call people noobs... it's not nice. >_>,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    the file dont get replace i did my edit like a year ago, still works

you can at least say thanks for getting your questions answered
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    the file dont get replace i did my edit like a year ago, still works

you can at least say thanks for getting your questions answered

I gave you the benefit of the doubt before I responded to you. I actually tried it. The client replaced the file. It's a .txt log file, not a working part of the client. Ao's suggestion works, perhaps you also removed that file and don't recall that you had done so. But, upon restarting ARC to use codes or what not, that .dll file is replaced too and would have to be removed again. The client has a way of preserving itself.

As for the "thank you". While I do appreciate anyone and everyone's suggestions... even though I still haven't found out where that Computer ID file is stored (which is what I want to know)... you started your reply off kind of rude. I'm sorry, but I don't appreciate rudeness. If you want people to appreciate your attempts to answer their questions, don't start your replies off with a rude comment. Even if you meant it in a joking sense, calling someone a noob, or any other name, is not nice and it can very easily be taken (or mistaken, as the case may be) as you having a superior attitude.

I'll give you an "A" for effort, but your method, alone, does not work. And even with the removal of that .dll file, the .txt file is replaced, upon restarting PWI, if it is also removed or edited. It's simply a log file.

All I really want to know is where that Computer ID file is... not how to avoid launching ARC to play PWI. And, btw, if anyone finds that file and deletes it, it too will be replaced the next time ARC is launched. We all simply have a right to know it's location on our computers. That's all I am asking for. Even though I don't like having ARC running, my computer can handle the resources of running ARC and PWI together. I only lag in heavily populated area's (ie. West Arch) and it's not so much as to be intolerable... and that's with high graphic's setting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We all simply have a right to know it's location on our computers. That's all I am asking for. Even though I don't like having ARC running, my computer can handle the resources of running ARC and PWI together. I only lag in heavily populated area's (ie. West Arch) and it's not so much as to be intolerable... and that's with high graphic's setting.

we have a right to know? no, no; pwi has no obligation to post this
    them posting this is the first step to people hacking/spoofing it,although its completely useless as it is anyway, since you dont need arc to run the game

every single thing you install leaves files on your pc or changes the register, you are simply starting a witchhunt here or mining for **** based knowledge
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    we have a right to know? no, no; pwi has no obligation to post this
    them posting this is the first step to people hacking/spoofing it,although its completely useless as it is anyway, since you dont need arc to run the game

every single thing you install leaves files on your pc or changes the register, you are simply starting a witchhunt here or mining for **** based knowledge

Yes, actually we do have a right to know where this file is and EXACTLY what it does besides identify a computer as being authorized by the player. That may be all it does, but it may not be. I choose to believe that is all it does if that is what the ARC developers say it does.

In any case, it's a computer ID file and I really don't see how it could be **** or used as a ****. But then, I am not knowledgeable about hacking. It's not something I have any interest in doing in any game. I am however Window's savvy, to some extent, and I know all about registry keys and how to remove unwanted ones (ie. keys to programs I have uninstalled), file locations for programs I use, etc. But we don't even know what this ID file is named, so we can't even search for it.

I have no ulterior motives for wanting to know where this file is located. I've stated my reason for wanting to know higher up in this thread and that's all there is to my inquiry. This is my computer and it is up to me to keep it secure, and that is all I am trying to do. I don't believe the file is harmful, but if I ever decide to leave this game permanently, I want it removed. And that is the extent of it.

If you have nothing helpful to say, please don't reply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    Yes, actually we do have a right to know where this file is and EXACTLY what it does besides identify a computer as being authorized by the player. That may be all it does, but it may not be. I choose to believe that is all it does if that is what the ARC developers say it does.

In any case, it's a computer ID file and I really don't see how it could be **** or used as a ****.

1. no, read the tos, be sensible, you have no right for pwe to list these things for you; you dont expect microsoft to give you the white papers/detailed documentation on windows files do you?

2.hmm if you can find computer ID file, which leads to editing, which leads to spoofing, pretty simple logic as to how it can be used maliciously
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    1. no, read the tos, be sensible, you have no right for pwe to list these things for you; you dont expect microsoft to give you the white papers/detailed documentation on windows files do you?

2.hmm if you can find computer ID file, which leads to editing, which leads to spoofing, pretty simple logic as to how it can be used maliciously

It's far too easy to be accusing, rude, abusive, and even hateful when you can't see the person you're responding to, much less know the person.

And while Microsoft may be sneaky about some things, they do supply information on the various files that are installed with Windows, and it's updates and other programs they've developed. If you don't know how to find that information, that is your problem.

As for the ID file, as with the .txt file Grimmjow mentioned, as well as the .dll file Ao mentioned, any editing or deleting of the file would result in the file being replaced. If you have found a 100% workable way around ARC when PWI is launched, then you are the one who **** or otherwise tampered with PWE software, which is against the ToS.

At some point in the future, I have no doubt that I will leave PWI for good... but I have no intentions of leaving any time soon. But when I do leave and uninstall ARC and PWI, I have the right to know if this ID file has also been removed or can be removed manually. As I said before, this computer belongs to me, not PWE. Even Microsoft recognizes that. I'm far from new to PWI, I've played off and on since 2008 American launch and I've spent real money on the game. At some point, it will end though. I agree to have the file on my computer while I am a user of PWE software, not after I am done with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    hey Wesa editing the file should work

first shut down arc and pwi

1: Go into the PWI folder PWI_en

2: Go to Folder patcher

3: find the fil named stringtab

4: now you have 3 Options: 1st delete the fil, 2nd renamed the fil and 3rd is to open the fil in notepad and delete the line 170 save the file somewhere else and copy replace the new stringtab with the old

i did 1st option and 3rd both worked great for me no more Arc

i would mostlikely recomment the 3rd option because that will make less trouble when the game need to be updated with the patcher
    As for the PC ID it is mostlikely stored in the Windows Registry the problem about that is that it is codeed so we cant really check

just did a quick check and some Perfect World Arc files

go into regedit and (ctrl+b) short cut for seach and seach Perfect World Platform Client
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    hey Wesa editing the file should work

first shut down arc and pwi

1: Go into the PWI folder PWI_en

2: Go to Folder patcher

3: find the fil named stringtab

4: now you have 3 Options: 1st delete the fil, 2nd renamed the fil and 3rd is to open the fil in notepad and delete the line 170 save the file somewhere else and copy replace the new stringtab with the old

i did 1st option and 3rd both worked great for me no more Arc

i would mostlikely recomment the 3rd option because that will make less trouble when the game need to be updated with the patcher

Look, I appreciate you answering what you 'think' I am asking for... but I am NOT out to circumvent ARC. I just want to know where the little computer ID file is and whether or not it will be removed upon uninstall or if it will have to be manually removed. I'm not leaving the game any time soon... not planning on it anyway... but I want/need/have-a-right to know this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    It's far too easy to be accusing, rude, abusive, and even hateful when you can't see the person you're responding to, much less know the person.
    i have been very civil, someone has gotten offended very easily for asking a compltely absurd request

And while Microsoft may be sneaky about some things, they do supply information on the various files that are installed with Windows, and it's updates and other programs they've developed. If you don't know how to find that information, that is your problem.
    righttttt bs

As for the ID file, as with the .txt file Grimmjow mentioned, as well as the .dll file Ao mentioned, any editing or deleting of the file would result in the file being replaced. If you have found a 100% workable way around ARC when PWI is launched, then you are the one who **** or otherwise tampered with PWE software, which is against the ToS.
    ha..ha..ha, start by patcher, gg. and not all file editing is against the tos...seriously please stop talking out yer ****

At some point in the future, I have no doubt that I will leave PWI for good... but I have no intentions of leaving any time soon. But when I do leave and uninstall ARC and PWI, I have the right to know if this ID file has also been removed or can be removed manually.yes you have the right to know, pwe will not lobotomize you, but they have no obligation to provide this information As I said before, this computer belongs to me, not PWEyes because they made you install this software or lied about whats being installed? nope.... Even Microsoft recognizes thattalking out **** again here. I'm far from new to PWI, I've played off and on since 2008 American launch and I've spent real money on the game. At some point, it will end though. I agree to have the file on my computer while I am a user of PWE software, not after I am done with them.
    Look, I appreciate you answering what you 'think' I am asking for... but I am NOT out to circumvent ARC. I just want to know where the little computer ID file is and whether or not it will be removed upon uninstall or if it will have to be manually removed. I'm not leaving the game any time soon... not planning on it anyway... but I want/need/have-a-right to know this.again, you have a right to find it out for yourself, pwe will not lobotomize you, but they have no obligation to provide this information

answers in red
  • Ao - Raging Tide
    edited January 2015
    I'd presume it's located somewhere in the temporary files folder, that are being used by your programs. You can try to empty the folder and then delete the .dll file, so Arc never starts (and thus never creates the file on your computer again). But then again, there would be no way for you to know for sure whether you've purged it or not. b:surrender
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    i have been very civil, someone has gotten offended very easily for asking a compltely absurd request

If you call accusing someone of having ulterior motives (intent to ****) for asking a question, then yes, you've been about as civil as that gets.

I won't justify the crudeness of your attitude by responding to the in between stuff after this point.
    again, you have a right to find it out for yourself, pwe will not lobotomize you, but they have no obligation to provide this information

That's right, they don't have an obligation, but it doesn't change the fact that I, and everyone else, has a right to know. That's why I came to the C-O-M-M-U-N-I-T-Y, in hopes that someone would know and be kind enough to answer my question. But, all I found is *EW* YOU!

(And 2 people who tried to be helpful, but mistook my inquiry as a question as to how to circumvent ARC. That's not what I have been asking.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    I'd presume it's located somewhere in the temporary files folder, that are being used by your programs. You can try to empty the folder and then delete the .dll file, so Arc never starts (and thus never creates the file on your computer again). But then again, there would be no way for you to know for sure whether you've purged it or not. b:surrender

Thank you, I'll check the folder. But I'm really not looking to bypass ARC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    If you call accusing someone of having ulterior motives (intent to ****) for asking a question, then yes, you've been about as civil as that gets.

if an answer can be used for evil maybe its just worth pointing out it shouldnt be asked so publicly
    I won't justify the crudeness of your attitude by responding to the in between stuff after this point.
    crude and valid point that offends you are not synonyms

That's right, they don't have an obligation, but it doesn't change the fact that I, and everyone else, has a right to know. That's why I came to the C-O-M-M-U-N-I-T-Y, in hopes that someone would know and be kind enough to answer my question. But, all I found is *EW* YOU!
    way to keep it civil there while adding absolutely thing, except you now admit they have no obligation..while repeatedly screaming that you have a right to know, as if there was some coverup about this information, lol...again no one is preventing you from looking yourself and posting it

(And 2 people who tried to be helpful, but mistook my inquiry as a question as to how to circumvent ARC. That's not what I have been asking.)one provided a way he believes will prevent the file from being created( a. a great workaround for you)...which tells you at what moment the file is created..which is a great hint to finding out how to search for it,(b. with now makes your legwork 10x less if you take the effort to find the file yourself) but just seems you skim their peoples replies...

again in red.
  • Ao - Raging Tide
    edited January 2015

But you will have to, as I understand it - because if you continue running arc on your system, that file will be created again and again, the moment arc starts running (provided that it really is stored in the temp files folder). So I was suggesting that you purge the temp files first (which I guess is supposed to delete the file you're looking for) and then preventing arc from creating it once again (by not running it).
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Try not to pay attention to Mosz, if you check his previous threads he is always like that. Someone even say he is a joke on his server.
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015

if an answer can be used for evil maybe its just worth pointing out it shouldnt be asked so publicly

crude and valid point that offends you are not synonyms

way to keep it civil there while adding absolutely thing, except you now admit they have no obligation..while repeatedly screaming that you have a right to know, as if there was some coverup about this information, lol...again no one is preventing you from looking yourself and posting it

(And 2 people who tried to be helpful, but mistook my inquiry as a question as to how to circumvent ARC. That's not what I have been asking.)
    one provided a way he believes will prevent the file from being created( a. a great workaround for you)...which tells you at what moment the file is created..which is a great hint to finding out how to search for it,(b. with now makes your legwork 10x less if you take the effort to find the file yourself) but just seems you skim their peoples replies...

I'm done with you... Nothing you have said here even remotely applies to my original inquiry or anything else I have said (to you or the others), nor does any of it have any validation at all. I do read everything, not just skim... it is YOU who has misinterpreted what I have said (twisted it really). AND...
    I have been civil (until just now)... it has been YOU who has not been since your very first reply to my inquiry.

I'm not only done with you, I'm done with these entire forums. YES... because of ONE uncivil, manipulative, and accusing cretin. There are other PWI forums on other sites I can go to for information.

Yeah, I know, you're going to twist this as being some kinda of verbal abuse toward you. Or that I am QQ'ing because I'm butt hurt. And you know what? I Don't Care what you think of this! Because you'd be WRONG... AGAIN!

MODERATOR! CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Wesa_ - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2015
    But you will have to, as I understand it - because if you continue running arc on your system, that file will be created again and again, the moment arc starts running (provided that it really is stored in the temp files folder). So I was suggesting that you purge the temp files first (which I guess is supposed to delete the file you're looking for) and then preventing arc from creating it once again (by not running it).

I appreciate your help. But I don't mind if the file is there while I am still a PWI player. I just want to make sure it is something that will go away or can be gotten rid off when I am no longer a member of the PWI community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Well, that escalated quickly. Alright, closed at the request of the OP.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.