Having trouble as an Archer doing Pavillion

Options
zpinsky
zpinsky Posts: 27 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Archer
Hi, I am an sage archer, level 101 with G16 gear and have all skills...Bow is +12, other gear is +10. My physical attach is 16K-21K and my physical defense is 14K. I should be able to do pavilions in Warsong, but I struggle.

I was attempting a metal Pavillion.

As I shoot the mobs, it takes several hits to kill them. Before I can kill the mob, another mob appears and I start getting behind. I will hit the mob two or three times, then I have to move because the head is almost next to me. I run away from the head and try to hit the mob again eventually I kill it, but there is additional mob or two. After I have several mobs, I try using my barrage arrows to hit all of the mobs but the head comes by again and I have to cancel it and move again.

When I try to hit the head with a stunning arrow, it either doesn't stop or stops for about 3 seconds then starts moving again.

Sometimes while fighting mobs, one or two will get by me and head to the NPC. I have to chase them down.

I have seen other people do it much more successfully...some who have a lot less gear than me. What am I doing wrong?

What pavilion should I be doing as a sage archer? What arrows do you recommend that I use (i.e. firing sequence)? Is there a macro I can make? How do I stun the head for longer and/or give me more time to kill before I have to move?

I need to do full Warsongs to get the Filament bow mold to complete my R9 3rd recast. I have only successfully completed a pavilion once. I really need help with this.

Thanks
Post edited by zpinsky on

Comments

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You have that gear and you strugle with pavs in WS? facepalm.
    Are really archers that failure? I dont want to believe that cause at some point I wanted to lvl up an archer( i think bows are one of the coolest weapons in game).
    I didnt get to the point where i can do WS with archer cause but I cant believe you have problems doing that with the gear you say yu got. You should be able to kill mobs in 2-3 hits maybe.
    But how did yu get your G16 gear?. I assume you didnt farm it through WS. Probably you buyed the gear or you buyed CS service.
    I hope someone can help you with your problem.
    giphy.gif

• zpinsky
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My Bow is Flowing Stardust
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You should be able to do it with ease with that gear.

It's all about kiting the head giving you time to kill the mobs. Save stun aim low and knockback arrow for the head. They build up alot of aggro so head wont reset and give you space to kill mobs.

QS spam and instant cast Take Aim spam should do for mobs, don't be shy to double spark when mobs build up, boa isn't recommended, STA when they clump up, and keep moving in wide circles around the lil building, but watch out for the monkeys.

Practise makes perfect. There were a few videos made by WallyPWI or something like that for archers on diff pavs if you can find it on YT.
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • zpinsky
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand some of the lingo. What is QS spam? I have Take Aim, but what do you mean by Take Aim Spam? Also what is the abbreviation STA mean?

Thanks for your reply.
  • AsMyliuTave - Sanctuary
    AsMyliuTave - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Use skills, don't auto-attack. You really should know what QS and STA stand for too.
    QS spam = spam Quickshot. It has a very short cooldown so just keep using it
    Insta-Take Aim spam = click Take Aim twice to cast it instantly, and spam that
    STA = Sharpened Tooth Arrow, the AoE skill that reduces max HP

Personally, I just use Lightning Strike instead.

Just out of interest, why did you go with Flowing Stardust? That's a lot of money to spend on something that's pretty much comparable to G16, especially if you're planning on upgrading to r9 anyway.
    Name: AsMyliuTave
    Race: Winged Elf
    Class: Archer
    Spiritual Cultivation: Celestial Sage
    Level: 104-103-101
    Faction: Vindicate (Executor)
    Server: Sanctuary
    pwcalc.com/1c41e0adfdadd9f9
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    QS = Quick Shot

STA = Sharpened Tooth Arrow

Those are likely what those meant.....

Then there is other shorthands for skills that not all servers agree upon/use...

for example:

Most servers shorten Heaven's Flame (a bm skill) into HF... but others have called it DG... due to its looks... not sure what it translates too.... maybe Dragon's Guard?... Never a bad idea imho to adk if your not sure of the "hip" lingo... aka shorthand.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Metal is actually one of the harder pavillions for archer. Even though the mobs are ranged, they have high pdef and moderate metal res.

You should do fire instead. Even water is easier if you just spam wingspan (wing burst?) and kite.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • zpinsky
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What does spam mean? I think of spam as unwanted emails.

Also, after I hit the head with a stun, it keeps auto firing. Is there a way hit the head once and not have it auto fire afterward?
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are acting like if you were completily new on this game o.o

Spam means to use a skill or skill chain as much as you can. Like QS spam or archer's metal skills spam

@Asterelle: I was wondering if that was the problem, a low refines caster can solo that pav without problems, didn't know why archers never wanted to do it.
  • zpinsky
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been playing for over a year and a half. I don't think I play the right way, but because refined G16 gear, I get away with it. I have been using about 4 or 5 of my skills...other skill I haven't used because I didn't really understand what they did and didn't seem to need them.

Of course when I go into Nation Wars, I am instantly toast. Once I get R9RR gear, refines and shards, I am going to have to learn how to use the right skills there. I guess you learn how to do something when it is necessary.
  • TitsMcGee_ - Sanctuary
    TitsMcGee_ - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here is Walpurga's metal solo video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98bmG2nurVE

The "secret" to pav soloing is kiting. Kiting is basically running like a *****(strategically) because you can't tank hits. No one expects you to take the hits, so that's ok. Notice Walpurga leaps and runs around to escape damage?

Notice how he targets the head and knocks it back(knockback arrow), then stuns(stunning arrow) or freezes it(aim low). Then he uses the opportunity to kill the mobs.

Notice how he uses his metal damage AOE (area-of-effect) skill that hits multiple targets when more than one mob becomes aggroed on him.

You need to multitask. Keep an eye on the head and use proper techniques/skills to keep the head away while simultaniously making opportunities to deal damage to the mobs. Get the attention of the mobs before they reach the npc. Don't just let them group onto the npc. Kite when you need to and pay attention to the head and the mobs.

You should read your skills(R menu) and become familiar with them. An archer of your gears should be able to solo any pav.
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zpinsky wrote: »
    Also, after I hit the head with a stun, it keeps auto firing. Is there a way hit the head once and not have it auto fire afterward?

If you use a skill on a target and it doesn't die then auto attack follows until it dies or you use another skill or you select a different target or walk one step in any direction or press escape to deselect current target.

Defending a pav you'd select head hit stun skill and press tab (make sure its not a monkey) and pewpew mobs while watching head and keeping a distance.

Spam is using a skill as much as possible preferably on cooldown. Take aim if you bind it to a hotkey holding that keyboard button down will fire off a Take Aim with no charge up, its good for chi building (aimed at demons more so than sage) and nearly as fast or faster than a single auto attack.

Apologies if I sound patronising, I'd suggest a read of some archer forums stickies, as you can probably tell from responses you're asking some pretty basic archer 101 stuff, but it's no problem, better to ask and improve than the contrary.
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    And this is why I think people should farm their own G16 gears instead of buying them...
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • sondok
    sondok Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I hate metal pav. It's tough for me too. At least it was before I awakened twice but I haven't tried it again. Refines, pure dex and a charm/pots help greatly. I was able to do it with an hp charm, and +5 rank 9. Also level your skills!
    lvl 101 ea from Lost City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Horosho - Lost City
    Horosho - Lost City Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zpinsky wrote: »
    I have been playing for over a year and a half. I don't think I play the right way, but because refined G16 gear, I get away with it. I have been using about 4 or 5 of my skills...other skill I haven't used because I didn't really understand what they did and didn't seem to need them.

Of course when I go into Nation Wars, I am instantly toast. Once I get R9RR gear, refines and shards, I am going to have to learn how to use the right skills there. I guess you learn how to do something when it is necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/user/transcendpw

Go copy his playstyle and you will be better than most of the EA's in this game.
  • Keisari - Raging Tide
    Keisari - Raging Tide Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kitty's been doing metal on her HA-archer lately 'cause metal ish usually only pav available. As HA-archer it's actually hardest pav due to aforementioned high p. def. and medium metal res.

Kitty usually uses Knockback Arrow to move head a bit further if it comes too close. When Kitty kills mobs, she opens with Thunder Shock to lower metal res., then Lightning Strike. If there's moar than one mob, Kitty opens the same way, but after landing Thunderous Blast(metal AoE) Kitty swaps target to mob with most HP(or inc. m. res.) and takes some distance from head.

Worst possible thingie that has happened to Kitty has been 2 inc. m. res. mobs and inc. life mob at all once, 2 of them buffing themselves with m. def. buff. That's the only time Kitty's failed a pav in a week (and she's done like 40 FWSs in that time).

Btw, don't let a mob explode at NPC. That might cause the floater come to help and finish the NPC by blowing up another mob. That's how Kitty failed.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kittysama - Raging Tide in APS-barb disguise, when avatars were bugged. Now posting again as Kittysama.
    Deleted old mains on Feb. 2014, back with every viable build covered, majority of them at or above non-rb 100.b:cute
    The Greatest APS-Panda on RT! 'Cause there's too much food in tables of Imperial palace.b:surrender
    Kitty's current average lvl ~94 b:shocked
  • zpinsky
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have taken you advise.....I was able to do three fire pavilions in a row successfully. I have found that Holy Path is my best friend....I just run back and forth when the head gets near....the mobs seems to follow quicker than the head and also I can hit them at range. This seems to be more effective then stunning or kick back, because the head doesn't take long before it near me again.

What I have seen is the head sometimes resets and heads towards NPC. Then I have to rush over and hit the head to get it to follow me again. While it is resetting, I can't hit it...I have to wait unit it gets back to the NPC area.

I'm not sure why it reset. For example, I hit the head with a Aim Low and suddenly it reset. When the mobs reset, they go backwards which is good because it stays away from the NPC for longer. I like Sharpened Tooth Arrow, because if I have several near by each other, it hits all of them at the same time.

I have not attempted metal again., I probably will next time everyone wants to do a badge run. Now that I know to use the lightening skills, I am hoping I can do better.

Let me ask about the other pavilions. What about water? They have three mobs each time. Is there any special trick (i.e. skill) to kill them fast enough to not get too far behind?

What about earth and wood....someone told me that earth is easy, but I haven't tried it yet. Anything different about doing these vs metal or fire for an archer? Do I use different skill to kill the mobs in these Pav's?

Also, someone told me that the mobs will die eventually even if you don't finish killing them. (Perhaps they blow up?) Can you tell me if this is true or not? I have not seen any of them die before I finished them off, but I wasn't specifically looking for it either.

Thanks
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To not auto attack after casting a skill, hold a movement key while channeling the skill. I've done metal before but haven't after their new green circle update.

It's not that necessary to stun or freeze the head, just move around and Wingspan it when it gets close. If you cannot kill the mobs fast enough, use a spark or two and spam Take Aim to get chi back.

Water is pretty easy because the mobs have low hp and low pdef, so STA followed by Wingspan and Winged Strike does OK. You just need to watch the common chat to get away when mobs decide to suicide and explode.

All mobs sometimes suicide when their hp gets too low and says "Let's die together" in common chat; with ranged mobs in metal or fire it's less noticeable, but all mob suicides hurt if they are near.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The head will reset if you get to far away or don't do any damage (or threat) after a certain time as with most mobs. What could have happened is the time had already expired and you hitting it was possibly after the mob reset, with lag you just did not notice. Other than that, I have never seen a head reset suddenly unless I have not attacked it in a while, unless the skills you used on the mob somehow do not generate any threat (is that even possible?). Of course it could have just been a glitch of the mob.

Remember you can practice yourself on pav's, you don't need to wait till you get in a squad for it. Like lunar it only takes 2 to open it. You just need the full fee.

You should also practice with just self buff's. I know it is harder, but it is meant to be. If you can solo the pav with no buff's. With them is a breeze. You should also move away from using holy path and instead work on skill and skill rotation. Learn the leap skills, they will help with that rotation. Using skills will help you more in the long run with your archer and with other toons as well, if you ever make any.

When learning pav's on my sin (i know a bit different and bp creates a large cushion other classes don't have, like clerics we can self heal... at least to a point) I would go with just bp, sometimes just with crabs and no bp. You learn what you can and can't do very quickly with the gear you have. It also tell's you where your main weakness(es) are. Is it damage, defenses or both? You find out quickly.

You can not always rely on other toon's buffs all the time. You need to rely on what your class was made to do. Kill from afar.

The other postings are great as well, using spark to increase dmg or create a moment of immunity can help in times of need.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Water = Use Wingspan -> Kite for 8 seconds -> Repeat... do it right and you won't take any damage. You can throw in some other aoes to speed things up but will likely take damage doing so.

Earth you can do the same thing if you want

Wood mobs have 0 metal res so use metal skills + kiting.

In general if a mob suddenly stops and starts talking walk away from it since it's about to blow up and deal large damage... this is more important for the melee mobs since they are likely to be closer to you.

Metal is probably the hardest due to the high pdef and lack of room to kite
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • kokoot
    kokoot Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Metal can by done by archer with TT99 armor. metal skils and kiting... What a troll post.
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Given your gear, here's my advice for you:

Uninstall the game and never come back.

If that option doesn't appeal to you, check wether you've statted any mag, vit or str beyond 100. Equip a jones blessing and/or avail yourself that you haven't failed epicly in some other way.

Retry.

If you continue to fail, reconsider option one.
  • Vanflyheight - Heavens Tear
    Vanflyheight - Heavens Tear Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can solo defend metal pav and im only r8+nirv s2 geared, what i do is i have on my ws genie is stun blast. it helps with the head when your in the middle of casting a skill and cant switch to another that fast. Plus if ya time it correctly on the stun blast, the head wont even reach ya.

Another thing to do is when using stun blast (genie skill) is to combo it with your morai leaps.
    Spamming skills is something you do over and over again, since QS has a fast cd, it would be alot more helpful plus add in frost arrow sometimes on the mobs your atking ya should be able to solo metal pav.
    The Sure Shot that Flies Straight

Tiduswarrior Demon 101 (Main), Vanflyheight 100 (Demon RB2), SasukeZx 95 (Demon), Leobeastking 90s (Sage), Swiftterror 80s, AquaStriker 99 (Sage)

2nd Acc: BlademageX 88, RazorFalcon 89, RavenwingZ 79, Veilpor 73, TidalLight 30, SythrilZ 64, Stormthril 64