Memory Usage

bobbyknocker
bobbyknocker Posts: 47 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
i would like to know why the new client uses 1.5gb of memory now the old one use around 500mb
the cpu is also more upto 20% i used to be able to load 2 in and play a full game with no problem now no chance
Post edited by bobbyknocker on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited December 2014
    CPU load on old client would hit 1.8Gb then crash te client. then they re-worked it and it self-caps at around 1-1.2GB now. RAM useage will depend entirely on what your settings are, and where you travel in PW.

CPU useage will vary by PC.

See my sticky in the technical support forum where you should have posted this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RankNine - Momaganon
    RankNine - Momaganon Posts: 1,241 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    OP is right. my shop is in the middle of archosaur and usually showed 890-920 k memory.
    after the new expansion it starts with 1.300.000 and goes up to 1.500.000 the longer its up.

first i thought its the snowmen and then snow, but that cant be, because in north district i login at like 950 k and it stays like that.

i didnt change my client-settings nor my hard/software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    noob, can only run, spawnkiller, only white vodoo, only plays for kd,
    never kills anyone, only gear, no skill, no life, cash only, eats dogfood to cash more, lives at moms,
    only survives cause of cleric heals, if we had your gear you would lose. b:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah the memory used by the client since the last expansion is really huge. I'm waiting for snowmen to disappear to check if there will be a difference (i doubt) but basically my situation is the following :

On my laptop before the expansion : I had two clients with toons logged in H24 and 7 days a week. The laptop was restarted only once a week. I maybe had two or three report bugs in three years.
    On my laptop since expansion : I now never launch two clients at the same time and I restart the computer everyday. However this client crash every night, then in the morning i restart it and in the evening when I'm back from work I see it crashed again. It happened only once when I was really playing (I was in FSP) but there hasn't been one single day since last expansion when this had not crash during night and work.

On my new desktop computer (got it two months ago), I never had any crash before last expansion (and the client was only restarted after maintenance). Now I don't get report bugs every day like on my laptop, but still at least 3-4 crashes a week. It happened once in FSP as well, other times where when I was afk and client having an uptime of several hours.

So yeah this seems related to a lack of ressources on the computer side, but there is a real difference between pre-expansion and post-expansion..
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Bosk - Sanctuary
    Bosk - Sanctuary Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. I have been getting at least 4 Bug Report crashes or just complete client crashes every day for around a month now, but only on my one account. I play on different computers and when I run Bosk it does not matter what computer I am on, 4-6 hours of reflections/play is all I get before a BR/crash.

My shop account (now has a Stormbringer on it) never Bugs out or crashes regardless of what comp I am on. In Shop mode, the shop stays up from Maint to Maint without any problems.

The only thing I have been able to notice is the huge memory allocation to the client just before some of the crashes. Most of the time my shop/Stormbringer client runs in the 500-1000 MB range, and Bosk starts there but eventually the memory grows to well over 1500 MB. I have seen 1.7 and 1.8 GB just before a crash.

Of course, when I run Bosk I tend to do a lot more things. My Shop and/or Stormbringer (at least so far) tend to only be on the main map. Bosk, however, is in many different instances and over a few hours will have likely gone into multiple maps (main, Morai, Primal) and instances (reflections, 79 a lot, WS, FSP, Delta, Eden/Brim, QS, EU, AEU, etc ... I do a lot of runs assisting others). So, I am thinking that something recently changed to allow the client to grow the amount of resources it needs from the system, to the point where the system (well, mine at least) cannot keep up.

Whatever the cause it is definitely new and rather annoying. FWIW, I am going to see if I can avoid the problem by closing the client after a few hours to avoid having a crash at inopportune times.

Wish me luck! b:chuckle
    Dante: "Cute is a relative term."
  • Liveena - Heavens Tear
    Liveena - Heavens Tear Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My client memory (in game) once showed 2.3GB usage b:surrender, while my alt-sin only have 1.4GB usage.
    Heaven Tear

Liveena 102/102/102 Demon Cleric
    Milfeena 103/102 Demon BM
    Silpheena 104/103/102 Sage R9S3 Seeker
    Cieleena 101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer
  • ragnarrawr
    ragnarrawr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You guys are taking about 1 to 2.5 GB of ram usage, if i don't use some program that cleans my ram often 1 pwi client takes about 3.2-4 GB ram and my client crashes every 1 to 3 hours. I sent a ticket i got answer basically get better connection and update drivers.
  • WaterVixen - Harshlands
    WaterVixen - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah the memory used by the client since the last expansion is really huge. I'm waiting for snowmen to disappear to check if there will be a difference (i doubt) but basically my situation is the following :

On my laptop before the expansion : I had two clients with toons logged in H24 and 7 days a week. The laptop was restarted only once a week. I maybe had two or three report bugs in three years.
    On my laptop since expansion : I now never launch two clients at the same time and I restart the computer everyday. However this client crash every night, then in the morning i restart it and in the evening when I'm back from work I see it crashed again. It happened only once when I was really playing (I was in FSP) but there hasn't been one single day since last expansion when this had not crash during night and work.

On my new desktop computer (got it two months ago), I never had any crash before last expansion (and the client was only restarted after maintenance). Now I don't get report bugs every day like on my laptop, but still at least 3-4 crashes a week. It happened once in FSP as well, other times where when I was afk and client having an uptime of several hours.

So yeah this seems related to a lack of ressources on the computer side, but there is a real difference between pre-expansion and post-expansion..

I have the same issues, constant bug reports multiple times a day now when i barely had any in 3 years .-. makes it quite difficult to finish stuff let alone keep shop up >.<
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I been told here now im telling others to go download minimem.It will allow you to run the game at 35kb memoryb:victory

I have like 16 gigs of ram so im not worried but I still like to see low memory useage.b:laugh
  • buffsrus
    buffsrus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    there has been a "memory leak" problem for years. PWI is aware and has done nothing to address fixing the problem. you will see a notice "virtual memory is low" and soon after you will crash. or just crash. it would take some minor work to fix it but first they would have to care about their players.
  • Keyborne - Raging Tide
    Keyborne - Raging Tide Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i know its the new year and resolutions and all that but pwi care about their players? lol joke
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited December 2014
    buffsrus wrote: »
    there has been a "memory leak" problem for years. PWI is aware and has done nothing to address fixing the problem. you will see a notice "virtual memory is low" and soon after you will crash. or just crash. it would take some minor work to fix it but first they would have to care about their players.

Actually, they did resolve the memory leak by making the client perform a automatic garbage dump when it gets close to the 32-bit cap.
    The new client takes up more usage because of the extra flash. It's not rocket science.
    I been told here now im telling others to go download minimem.It will allow you to run the game at 35kb memoryb:victory

I have like 16 gigs of ram so im not worried but I still like to see low memory useage.b:laugh
    you can force the client to run that low, but the results are very negative as it will thrash the CPU constantly reloading textures.
    sontzu wrote: »
    I'd like to see what a few other people say about minimem before I try it, but it sounds interesting
    We had a huge thread on this a while back. Minimem is a great tool, if you use it right. It can be your worst enemy if you use it wrong.

Here's what mine looks like right now....
    clients.png
    That's one catshop, and two toons botting snowmen. My minimem setting for elementclient is to clean it at over 300mb. It causes quite a bit of a drop in FPS at times though. I'd recommend keeping it at 600-800 if you actually plan on doing anything.

Here's my regular PC running one client at 1920x1080 full screen.
    Client.png
    All of these have been running for the same amount of time.

Here's the First one when I'm not running minimem.
    clients2.png
    The lower usage task is my catshop of course.

Now, the main differences, the first group of 3 is running with the lowest settings at a resolution of 1280x1024. The single client on my main PC is running 1920x1080 with the graphics turned up all the way.

If you're having an issue with memory management on the client, it's most likely because your PC does't have enough memory to allocate it. You could have your pagefile set incorrectly as well, especially on an older version of Windows.

If you want further assistance, check out my sticky in tech support, and post the information I ask for to be able to assist you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]