Quicksand Maze (first attempts)

Options
Desdi - Sanctuary
Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Dungeons & Tactics
Seeing as there's no thread about it yet, I figured I should start one.
Not really a guide, but more like a discussion of sorts to get to know the new instance. This is more or less what I've observed so far.

Videos:
Video by me.
Video by _CurseD.
Video by Sxelf.
Video by HideYoHubby.
Video by Kindrid.
Since the instance is random, I recommend watching all of them.

General things:

- As you probably know already, the instance is randomly generated. That means that the path you have to follow changes each time you do it.

- You need to have Mirage Sky X to enter.

- The instance takes quite a while. Until people figure things out, expect your runs to take 1.5-3 hours (depending on squad/gear/experience of instance or lack thereof).

- You can use mounts.

- The map is dark at the beginning, and it lights up as you explore it. This is related to your character, not the squad. If you enter the instance later than your squad, your map will be dark until you get to your squad mates. However, you can see your squad mates... you just won't be able to see the road leading to them because it's dark.

- The instance has dead ends.

- If you disconnect and log back on, the instance apparently asks you if you want to go to the last place you were at or if you want to go back at the beginning. (Didn't happen to me but a squad mate said so.)

- There are some chests you can dig.. but not sure what they are for yet.. or what they do.

- You can pick two daily quests there. One of them requires you to kill the bosses (for quest drop) and rewards you with R8rr materials (130 basic mats, you need 9000 of those for a R8rr weapon.

The second quest has various stages. Completing each stage (killing a certain number of mobs & Captains) might be what spawns the bosses.

- There are Captain minibosses (or mobs with more HP) at different parts of the instance. The Captains have special abilities/skills. You can see their abilities under their name when you select them.
These abilities include: AOE stun, AOE SoG, AOE Purge, stealthing, sending you in the air, chi draining, Spellbk (not sure what that is), AOE Amplify Damage, AOE Substrike, invoke on itself... and many others.

- Venomancers, use amp on the Captains too. Some of them take a while to kill (depending on the DD of your squad of course).

- Bosses (and Captains I think?) drop some items. You can pick them and open them to receive a material. That's probably used for R8rr.

- You can usually AOE stun or Parasitic Nova/Thicket (for Venomancers/Mystics) the groups of monsters. Some of them are immune to Freeze but I haven't figured out yet which ones.

- Can you pull mobs and just AOE at the end?
Hard to say. If you aggro Captains with AOE SoG it might be bad but I guess it can work if the puller/squad immunes together. The problem is that you don't really know where you're supposed to run because it's random... but well it may be possible to pull & kill big groups of mobs. I've only been to a run so I don't know yet... Some Captains HURT quite a bit.

- Some extra information & advice from Demodude.

Bosses:

They have anti-aps buff.
Bosses seem to be different for different instances.

Boss 1
I joined the squad late so I missed this boss (and consequently didn't complete the quest). It's apparently elemental immune.

Boss 2
I'm not entirely sure what you have to do there, but it seemed that it was spawning flame and frost pillars and you had to kill the appropriate ones according to the text that popped on your screen. I think it became immune to various elements otherwise.

Boss 3
Didn't seem to have anything special but big text would pop up saying things like:
"Use Devour in the next 3 seconds to damage the boss!"
"Use Devour in the next 2 seconds to damage the boss!"
"Use Devour in the next 1 second to damage the boss!"

It's a different skill each time. Because of that, you'll want variety in your squad. If the skill that was asked isn't used, the boss with heal a part of its HP.

Boss 4 (Last)
This boss appeared to be physical. immune. Our BM had to use a wood pot.
He has APS buff. You can purge it but he re-buffs really fast so we kinda gave up on the purges, even with two Venomancers in squad.

The boss spawns some physical immune monsters and then elemental immune monsters. We're not sure that was their purpose but we killed them anyway.

At some point big text popped telling us to get as much chi as possible to survive. The the screen blacked out!! Then we continued as normal.. then it blacked out again!...

We died the first time but we figured out that the boss kills you unless you have full chi. The opposite of Tyrant Mushi in FSP. What kills you is the AOE (looks like a dark pulse) that he starts using after the first black out. Try to keep full chi at all times.
You can use chi-consuming skills if you're careful but otherwise keep full chi until the end.

Someone tanky has to tank the boss otherwise the APS buff will hit hard and kill you. I ended up tanking it towards the end, maintaining full chi and using using Blazing Barrier/Wind Shield to reduce damage (and getting heals).

Other bosses (I haven't encountered yet)

- Two of our bosses were different than yours. One of the kept cloning itself and none were totally physical immune. (From Asterelle)

- Has anyone encountered a 4th boss (can't remember the name) where you basically deal insignificant damage until you use whips to push the sprite into the portal and you get like ~5s of double damage buff which is the only time you deal significant damage to it, then the buff goes away and you rinse and repeat? It was doable and we were able to get the boss to half hp (might've even been lower) until he suddenly healed himself and I'm not sure why. Also, the boss is like toad in FSP, it uses telekinesis debuff on squad members, sometimes targetting more than one member at once. Was a real pain. If anyone has any info on that one, please share (especially about the part where he randomly healed himself, or if there is a way to avoid that). (From SerenityMare)

More boss info: here. and here.

I will add more as I discover or other people comment.

[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
Post edited by Desdi - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SnowRaven - Morai
    SnowRaven - Morai Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thank you so much, the squad I was in was so confused about like.. the whole chi thing. Cause she said about increase your chi to reduce damage but then she said 'Give me all your chi' So I assumed it meant use it before you die, squad wiped once but after reading your post I explained things to the squad and we did it on second try with no hassle. But basically for a little TL;DR of above, Use chi in the first phase, ignore the adds they don't do much other than be annoying. Once you see the first screen black out then STOP USING CHI, just use normal skills from then onwards. Even after she uses her aoe Dark pulse, don't use chi, she uses that aoe more than once really quick.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Two of our bosses were different than yours. One of the kept cloning itself and none were totally physical immune. I think the bosses only spawn after you kill the needed number of mobs+captains. There is a daily for killing all bosses that gives you like 130 basic mats. You need 9000 of those for a r888 weapon.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    r888

Is that really the pseudonym we're giving it now? b:shutup
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Luvlylinda - Sanctuary
    Luvlylinda - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    how do you get in to the instance?
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Has anyone encountered a 4th boss (can't remember the name) where you basically deal insignificant damage until you use whips to push the sprite into the portal and you get like ~5s of double damage buff which is the only time you deal significant damage to it, then the buff goes away and you rinse and repeat? It was doable and we were able to get the boss to half hp (might've even been lower) until he suddenly healed himself and I'm not sure why. Also, the boss is like toad in FSP, it uses telekinesis debuff on squad members, sometimes targetting more than one member at once. Was a real pain. If anyone has any info on that one, please share (especially about the part where he randomly healed himself, or if there is a way to avoid that).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Demodude - Dreamweaver
    Demodude - Dreamweaver Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I just finished my first run through. Here is a collection of thoughts (I apologize ahead of time for the inevitable unorganizedness of this) I have on the instance to hopefully help people out

1. Prepare for the long run. This can take a long time so make sure everyone in the squad has enough time.

2. I would recommend either 2 clerics or a cleric and mystic, because when you get far into it, if the cleric dies it is a very long walk back to the rest of the squad (even with using mounts) and during that walk you won't have a healer

3. There are mobs throughout that are immune to damage. To kill them you must kill the mob that they are linked to. I did not notice any way of telling which mob they are linked to but I may have missed it

4. The hardest boss my squad had by far was a boss that spawned circles that had to do with the elements. He would say something about one of them, and you had to run to that circle (red for fire, purple for metal, white for physical, green for wood, blue for water. I believe those were the five circles). You could only really inflict damage when he was in that circle with you

5. This happened to us a few times so beware: look ahead of you. A few times we had someone run ahead only to realize that was ahead was a boss that he just ran into. Bosses go much smoother when you see it coming up and can prepare beforehand

6. Communication is key. Many times we were only able to beat a boss because one person worked out how to beat it and communicated it to the rest of the squad

7. You must watch mob debuffs. Two of the worst ones we had that come to mind were (and I'm sorry I dont know their official names): A debuff that makes you take damage when you move (Note: DO NOT TELEPORT YOU STILL TAKE HEAVY DAMAGE), circles of different kinds (similar to water boss in FSP) that gave damage, poison, and other debuffs

8. The last boss we had was the one that spawned the p immune and e immune mobs. We killed them pretty fast but a fac mate said that if you do not kill them fast enough they explode doing heavy damage. On this boss you can have continuous AOEs set up (we had 3 vortexs and 1 db) and the mobs died very fast. Made for the easiest boss fight for us as long as you keep everything near the AOEs

Well thats what comes to mind right now. My brains kinda fried from the long run and it being almost 1am.

Sorry for it not being so organized b:surrender

If anything else comes to mind in the morning I'll share it then

Hope this helps other squads! b:victory
    ChayalBoded 102/102/101 Celestial Sage Rank 9 Assassin

English is my second language sorry that I mess up sometimes

Tempest b:dirty
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    how do you get in to the instance?

The entrance is somewhere nearby Cromagnon Village, the desert area above the Earthguard lands.
    You talk to the NPC who's name escapes me, but she has a daily quest and the option to teleport inside.

And hmm... so it seems there's a variety of bosses who are randomized too. Thanks for sharing tips and information! I updated the first post a bit, in case someone looks at it and doesn't want to go through the rest of the posts.

Keep the comments coming! The instance is quite interesting.
  • Demodude - Dreamweaver
    Demodude - Dreamweaver Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah it is. Props to PWI for finally giving us a challenging and fun pve instance. Even with most of the squad being r9rrr we had a few times where we almost wiped, with only 1 or 2 people surviving. I had an absolute blast I love this place (even if it does take a long time)
    ChayalBoded 102/102/101 Celestial Sage Rank 9 Assassin

English is my second language sorry that I mess up sometimes

Tempest b:dirty
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The number of mobs/Captains you need to kill for each stage is random each run.

Captains with skills like stun, petrify etc. are immune to Freeze.

You can use pets at the last boss: he doesn't kill your pet unlike Tyrant Mushi.

Also here's some info on other bosses, taken from my faction mate VividDreams:

Sand: Elemental Offspring - This boss summons different pillars of Frost or Flame, and requires you to break one or the other to make him able to take damage.
    Flame Array – Requires three frosts alive
    Frost Array – Requires three flames alive
    "We have enough ___ power, break the ___" - Not sure what this did.

Sand: illusionary Blade
    Show me your skills!
    Boss calls out “Thunderstorm 1(2, 3) style!” and summons add, kill the adds to take off the bosses immunity and kill it – we had three adds spawn all together.

Sand: Trimotion Rakshasa
    Summons pools of colour that represent elements. You get an element buff inside that pool you use to attack the boss with, as it calls them. There are purple circles that spawn, they're an instant one shot. Avoid those. Healers don't have to be inside, and in my opinion, are better not in a circle healing. Each circle has an effect added. Water- Stun, Fire- Burn damage, Wood- Poison damage.
    Sand: Redeye Battlemaster
    Calls for a skill to be used within (after?) 5 seconds, cast it to weaken him. Not casting seems to give him a reduced damage buff.

Aberrant Shura
    “The nightmare is coming for you” -Spawns adds, ele and phys resist. It seems best to set up a physical and elemental constant AOE. Ex: Seeker Vortex, Wizzies DB. Adds must be disposed of asap. Anyone too far away from the boss seems to get one shot by him.
    This was our "Finished" map on my second run, where we completed the bosses. Cleric at start, rest of us at the end.
  • toughguy24
    toughguy24 Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How many runs of the maze will it take to roll a piece of gear and weapon? What do you get when you finish the instance?
  • radanpwnz
    radanpwnz Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    anyone know how to open the lvl 50 - 64 one?
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I found this instance to be really crazy. First off this is for r8rr or morai recast. So i have to say that thats quite insane...because r8 gear players would NOT survive in here very long. Or it would just take them all day. That being said you almost HAVE to have pro geared players. Secondly...unless you wanna do this to farm the mats to try and resell or REALLY want r8rr or morai recast....it is just not worth doing. That is my assumption after 3 hours of doing it in a squad and getting more then half way through with it. It is INSANE.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You say the above now but that's just because it's a new instance that people haven't figured out how to rush through with minimal effort yet. The same thing gets said about every instance all the time. Once people figure it out, they'll be complaining about how it's too boring and easy just like they do with everything else.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • knownw
    knownw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ok first off no one tells anyone how to get the bloodglass mirror which u have to have to enter the maze if someone could tell me how to get it that would be helpful alot thanks b:angryb:angryb:angry
  • Verenor - Morai
    Verenor - Morai Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Alright so this dungeon was horrible and I pity the g15/r8's who will have to endure the lv95+ Maze for their recastsb:surrender

Any info about the lv50+ Maze? Or is it the exact same elemental immune/1hit/immune to damage-fun as the lv95+ one?b:sad
  • knownw
    knownw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    b:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angry someone tell us how to get the item to enter the quicksand maze more and more people on the game are wondering how to get the item and no one is telling us how
  • ballenato
    ballenato Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You buy the ticket to enter at morai with your order CHief, it costs 20 influence...

And, i have to say, this instance is EXTREMLY LONG, and yes u need some quite rainbow squad cause that boss that ask u to use certain skills... He even ask u to use skills that belong ot NEWEST classes... and it just doesnt "help kill it faster".

If u dont use the skill he asks, he heals for 2m hp+ he uses the skill against your squad.

Example, he asks you to use HF, and you didnt.. he hfs you, etc.
  • ___BOSS___ - Heavens Tear
    ___BOSS___ - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The group have to fill a number of players?

Im trying to open at level 55 and nothing, need to be reborn to open the low level instances? Because we dont have Morai to get de passport.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sadly I have absolutely no clue how you activate the low level version of the instance.
  • jehu50
    jehu50 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So Ok you go to Morai and get your entry token then to the npc at the outside of the maze teleport into the quicksand maze for the whirling sand daily but you cannot get out of the intitial area.

SO who has got out please and how!?
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What is that Morai item people talk about?

Is that required for the leader or something? Because as a normal member (not leader) I don't need to get anything to enter the high level version of Quicksand Maze. I just pick the daily Whirling Sands and then the other quest to enter.

Edit: Nevermind, someone told me how you start it (I've only been there as a member, not leader).

You pick the Immolation Order from your Order's chief (20 influence) then go to the NPCs outside Quicksand Maze (check the map, close to Cromagnon village) and enter through the Starshower NPC. Once you have a squad of at least 6 people, leader will have the option to start quest.

The leader and the rest of the squad need a Quicksand Smokewisp to enter, which you get at the Starshower NPC.
  • radanpwnz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For the lower lvl ones you talk to Thunderdrum npc to tele to start area. Then need at least four inside to start it. Then leader will be able to open by accepting a quest from Dreamspace npc.

People entering after the quest is accepted will not be able to join or help. Full Squad of six is the maximum.
  • HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I need to bother with uploading my footage of the run we did on Wednesday. We got Abserrant Shura as last boss and we did not manage to finish it for reason or another. First attempt we got it to 4m but eventually it killed charmed catabarb w/o cleric heals as she died with majority of the squad and no more scrolls = longass run back. I think we were bit short on magic DD to effectively kill the p.immunes quick enough, resulting in a mass of addons. They deal pretty significant damage whent hey explode in quick manner after spawning. We tried just kiting them but that resulted in mass spawning of addons and a fairly quick wipe. Last attempt we tried to kill addons, didnt go too well either. So I dont know what we did right on first try to get it as close to death as we did.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • Cristalwhite - Harshlands
    Cristalwhite - Harshlands Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    You say the above now but that's just because it's a new instance that people haven't figured out how to rush through with minimal effort yet. The same thing gets said about every instance all the time. Once people figure it out, they'll be complaining about how it's too boring and easy just like they do with everything else.

I have to disagree with you.
    Factionbase trials is the best example.
    No one doing it nowadays and when people where doing it,
    there was no nation wars and only rank 9 people really could
    tank the later bosses in trial 5 and above.
    at the end the time and effort was to much compared to the outcome for each individual.

the same thing goes along with nirvana, but at the time people ran nirvana, they could run it at least pretty fast due aps boost. it was still pretty less rewarding comparing to the amount of items
    you need for the gear.

Warsong is some strange place too, it was supposed to be done by people level 80+.
    but the gear which they can have is to weak in any way to survive.
    so everyone realize you need to be 100 and should use G15.
    But it is at least some kind of fair in my eyes.

Lunar is another example.
    Lunar was supposed to farm G12 lunar gear and G13 lunar gear.
    It take ages for one run with low gear, the gear you are supposed to have is G12 or lower.

the undercurrent hall is the next example.
    you need 500 dragon blood stones for one piece of r8r gear.
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/32287
    you can get 12 or with some luck 15 per run.
    So you need a minimum of 40 run for ONE piece of r8r gear.
    I ran that instance and i realize, without all the r9 people looking for primal blood things.
    it would take ages and may would not be worth doing it at all.

Rank8 recast gear is much weaker than G16 Warsong/Nirvana/lunar gear. It is no longer the endgame target of any player. it is more or less a additional feature to tryout without any big
    benefit. Therefore, faction base trial died and since many bosses are anti aps, even Assassins now use G16 gear. In my point of view this new instance is a stillbirth at the current game stage unless it will be very easy at one point, which the time will show us.

In my point of view, PWI has a very bad habbit in creating things which take way to much time and effort compared to the benefit/outcome. And PWI itself proved it by introducing Nation Wars and the Nation Wars reward which totally killt nirvana and faction base trials.
    And let me add frostcovered city to that list of dead instances just to show you that major game content became useless and therefore unused. I would also say the undercurrent hall is so rarly used on Harshlands, that i would call it dead too. I see one person forming a squad each night and he take about 100 teleacustics to get a squad together.

I love the expansion, it brought a couple new fun stuff todo, but unfortunately i dont see this instance growing at the moment and the old dead instances remain dead.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is great and all for high levels...but how do the new classes get in? Not a single ounce of info on that.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    radanpwnz wrote: »
    For the lower lvl ones you talk to Thunderdrum npc to tele to start area. Then need at least four inside to start it. Then leader will be able to open by accepting a quest from Dreamspace npc.

People entering after the quest is accepted will not be able to join or help. Full Squad of six is the maximum.

see, this is where I am confused. Not everyone gets that option at Thunderdrum. I just tried joining a squad, and no quest was available to me at level 54.
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rank8 recast gear is much weaker than G16 Warsong/Nirvana/lunar gear. It is no longer the endgame target of any player. it is more or less a additional feature to tryout without any big
    benefit. Therefore, faction base trial died and since many bosses are anti aps, even Assassins now use G16 gear. In my point of view this new instance is a stillbirth at the current game stage unless it will be very easy at one point, which the time will show us.

In PWCN, R8r is the best gear they have after R9 and the latter is harder to get there too (or at least that's what people have said). The instance is probably going to be used there, and I assume Faction Trials and UCH are also still being used. China doesn't tailor things for our version of the game though (G16 Nirvana was the first and last time they did). This is why PWI is the way it is.

As for Quicksand Maze, I think it's still fairly early to judge it. Up until now, people have managed to discover the most optimized ways to run each instance, and there's people that can even solo them. Though this new instance is unlike what we've had so far, so I kinda doubt one can solo it. Still, I think there might be things we haven't figured out yet and it might become easier in the future.

As far as the lower level Quicksand is concerned.. I still don't have any information on it.
  • radanpwnz
    edited December 2014
    Options
    see, this is where I am confused. Not everyone gets that option at Thunderdrum. I just tried joining a squad, and no quest was available to me at level 54.

After I hit lvl 60 i did the bh for secret frostcover grounds and two quest popped up when I entered. The rewards were mats for the forges outside of the maze. I also did the tideborn coming of age quest line and got similar rewards. Maybe one of those are a prerequisite for the instance.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    On another note, I made a video for the instance. It's not exactly a tutorial since the instance is random, but maybe it might have some use for people as a reference. It will probably not be up today though... uploading takes forever.
  • aerz
    aerz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have to disagree with you. [...]

I love the expansion, it brought a couple new fun stuff todo, but unfortunately i dont see this instance growing at the moment and the old dead instances remain dead.

You guys do realize that the rewards and drops from the instance can be made tradeable outside?

I guess we'll see some catshops pop up soon, so the amount of time spent farming for this gear won't be quite as ridiculous.

... one can hope, at least ._.