Skill unlocks?

Options
Molniya - Dreamweaver
Molniya - Dreamweaver Posts: 341 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Cleric
This is probably me being a newb more than anything, but yeah...

I (finally) hit Aware of Vacuity today, joy of joys. I'm currently at level 84, so yeah, kinda late I know XD Had trouble getting help with the Trench. Now, according to my skill tree, I should be able to get a few new skills that I've been locked out of thanks to the culti level. But when I went to a Cleric trainer earlier, they weren't available? Is there some special requirement to getting Vacuity skills?

EDIT: Will the higher level skills unlock when I have both 79 skills? Like Violet Dance and the blessings/curses it has. Or do they need skills too?
Post edited by Molniya - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is probably me being a newb more than anything, but yeah...

I (finally) hit Aware of Vacuity today, joy of joys. I'm currently at level 84, so yeah, kinda late I know XD Had trouble getting help with the Trench. Now, according to my skill tree, I should be able to get a few new skills that I've been locked out of thanks to the culti level. But when I went to a Cleric trainer earlier, they weren't available? Is there some special requirement to getting Vacuity skills?

You need lvl 79 skill books for your class. They can be made at forges in Thousand Streams. Requires 20 Apocalypse Pages and 10 medium ink. The Pages you can search and buy from catshops or pick them when they drop from mobs in Brim and Eden. Also TT mobs drops them once in a while. Medium ink you can buy directly from the forge you will make the book or from Raging Tide merchant. Dont know any other merchant that sell them.
    giphy.gif

• Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Huh, okay. Would be nice if that had been mentioned somewhere in game XD Don't think I can get to Brim and Eden yet, so it might be time to grind TT...

Thank-you!
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Huh, okay. Would be nice if that had been mentioned somewhere in game XD Don't think I can get to Brim and Eden yet, so it might be time to grind TT...

Thank-you!

It is a very rare drop in TT and not in all acts. You may better buy them instead. Its a lot faster. Or you can buy directly the skill books if you find them in a catshop or AH.
    giphy.gif

• Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would buy them, but everything on Dreamweaver server seems to be a million cash or more, and I don't ever have that much money :/ I don't really know how to make money, so I'm always broke for one reason or another.
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Alternatively, since you are a cleric, and people in squads often need clerics, you can volunteer for both Eden and Brim. Just let them know that you're new to the place, and ask them if it's okay if you can take the pages, because you're trying to learn your level 79 skills. Many people would let you. Eden is easier done than Brim, but both places are good. You need 20 Apocalypse Pages per skill, as well as 10 medium ink per skill. (Bought from some of the merchants, and some of the forges.) So farm your pages there, and you'll have them. Best of luck.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Is that wise, given a low level? My heals are maxed out, but I'm always worried I'll let people down on the healing...

(Also how does one go about getting into an instance when you can't get to it normally?)
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Apologies for the double post, but just realised I have another question. Will the higher level skills unlock when I have both 79 skills? Like Violet Dance and the blessings/curses it has. Or do they need skills too?
  • Ibunneh - Raging Tide
    Ibunneh - Raging Tide Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Apologies for the double post, but just realised I have another question. Will the higher level skills unlock when I have both 79 skills? Like Violet Dance and the blessings/curses it has. Or do they need skills too?

Any skills that have to be learned at 79+ need books to learn them
    I love chicken wings and french fries! Yasssb:chuckle
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Is that wise, given a low level? My heals are maxed out, but I'm always worried I'll let people down on the healing...

(Also how does one go about getting into an instance when you can't get to it normally?)

It's wise if you feel that you can handle it. Not like you're terribly underleveled for the instance, and I have seen people go in there at low levels for pages. Remember that you don't have to go in there as the solo healer. Squads announcing "BH Brim/Eden, LF more" likely already have a tank and healer. So letting them know that you're a cleric and that you need the apocalypse pages can help you farm them. If there is a cleric already there, you also get the chance to see what you'll likely be expected to do when you do start getting bh's for that instance.

That's just one way to go about it. You know your own characters limits better than I do, so I really cannot say whether you should or shouldn't. All I can do is present it as a possible avenue for you to pursue. IF you do pursue it, Eden is the easier one. Brim works as well, but in my experience it's more difficult. Nonetheless, both instances drop pages at a decent enough rate.

That said, getting to these places requires the old fashioned way...

Flight. Lol. I personally would take the time to unlock the teleporters at each area by flying to them and talking to the teleport masters. That unlocks the teleporter, so in your case, I'd fly to the teleporter around Snowy Village and Avalanche Village to have an easier access to Eden.

Flying to the villages by Land of the Burning Heart puts you close to Brim.

In any event, it's worth it to unlock the Teleport NPC at Thousand Streams at the least. That puts you in a position of being able to fly to both of them.

(Also, remember that many people often take clerics, even if they are underleveled because that beats wasting telecoustics for another cleric that might not show up for some time later. There are advantages to being a rare/uncommon class. Use those to your benefit. With rebirth being a thing, some players in your squad might be RB1 or RB2, so you may just find yourself in a higher level squad where you don't have too much to worry about. Just let the squad know that you're brand new there, would like to learn and are trying to farm apocalypse pages. You'll find that many people are willing to work with you if you explain it like that. (as an example, the first time I entered BH51, I was level 39 or something. Barb was higher leveled. We were helping a friend. I assumed the role of the main healer, and healed well with the barb teaching me as I went. (I was in all white npc gear too.)

Best of luck getting your skills. :)
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Only problem as a lower level in healing instance, is how low the player skill has become. So many are used to gear-dumbing their way through, when I ran a BH89 I just started pulling the mobs and attacking and healing myself as tank. A barb in cat form, who couldn't even figure out he needs to agro the mobs on him, or healer takes it from heal agro.

The fact I had OHT gear with 2-3 phys def adds is what allows me to not care about how stupid the group I am going with is. But at lvl 8X they won't have that luxury, a bad group means repeated insta-death for the cleric. And since they can't wine it, as that removes the mobs they need to get Apoc drops, it leaves them in a tough position.

It can be done, but you're going to have to make sure the tanks are actually competent at their job. Doesn't matter if it is a barb, bm, or whatever; they have to make sure to AoE hit all mobs on them before you can heal them after they take agro. And if your server is anything like the gear dumb players I have on Sanc, that might take some trying.

Best bet is with some friends you know, or a faction. Random just means you will grow to hate playing that instance, since you will have a large amount of people with no clue what they are doing. And it won't be fun playing with them.

EDIT: My recommendation is find a way to farm some coins, use those to buy tokens of best luck or cheap apoc pages in AH, and do it that way. Time vs reward it will almost certainly be more worth it, and once you get a couple bad groups you'll realize doing it this way allows you to earn the skills a way you enjoy, as opposed to being stuck with Jerry's Kids runs.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It actually can be wined and the remaining mobs still drop apocs. Wine honestly doesn't do that much for Eden/Brim anyways, truth be told.

And that's assuming they're on a server where people don't just skip to the BH bosses in there while ignoring the other two. When people do all three bosses, plenty of coin (and chances of apocs) to be made.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A barb in cat form, who couldn't even figure out he needs to agro the mobs on him, or healer takes it from heal agro.
    Ahah...I just experienced this for the first time running PV with a bard and a sin. Barb pulled ALL THE MOBS and didn't attack, so I couldn't heal (I didn't feel like dying at the time). Eventually he ragequit after the third death he had, and the sin and I finished PV going slow and without dying once.

Thank-you all for the advice though! c: It's been super helpful. I managed to get quite a few pages out of pack tokens, so I can get a book once I have money to actually buy the ink XD Ink so expensive...anyway, is Thousand Streams the only place to make the books? I've been poking through the forges there to try and find where the books are that I need, but it's so far out of the way and expensive to teleport to orz.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ahah...I just experienced this for the first time running PV with a bard and a sin. Barb pulled ALL THE MOBS and didn't attack, so I couldn't heal (I didn't feel like dying at the time). Eventually he ragequit after the third death he had, and the sin and I finished PV going slow and without dying once.

Thank-you all for the advice though! c: It's been super helpful. I managed to get quite a few pages out of pack tokens, so I can get a book once I have money to actually buy the ink XD Ink so expensive...anyway, is Thousand Streams the only place to make the books? I've been poking through the forges there to try and find where the books are that I need, but it's so far out of the way and expensive to teleport to orz.

For effort, it's the easiest one. It's possible to do in OHT I think but unless they changed it you need to do the OHT culti chain to the point of getting the key to travel back at the very least. And if you just want the two 79 skills, you can hold off on doing that until you get your 100 culti done and need your 100 skills. It'll be easier to do the culti chain at that point as well.

For cheapness of getting to 1k, either do it when you're doing your WQ or set it to fly there with max height while you're off doing something else. Using the free wings combined with maxed out Flight Mastery is good for the cheaper option, my character still uses those wings even. While I would like to shell out the 200 mil for better wings, I can use that 200 mil to get more power for my cleric in other ways. And the fights I get into don't often require the use of better wings, since we have so many control options available to us.

On the plus side, Wings of Protection allows you to apply protection to a target without gaining agro from using it, so that should be your first skill. I use it all the time in PvE (dumb incompetent tank alts) and in PvP as well. Triage is something clerics were taught in the first few months of the game, because terrible tanks wouldn't aoe and got many clerics killed. Never think you're doing wrong if you with-hold healing if someone doesn't grab agro from their aggressors first. No matter how they rage, anyone who is any good at the game (or intelligent) will fault you for playing correctly. It's one of the reasons clerics who have tank alts are better than DDs going tank role or alt. We know what not to **** up :)
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options

You can also make them at Old Heaven's Tear if you've completed the initial set of Chrono Quests and have the Chrono Key that comes as a reward for it.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    You can also make them at Old Heaven's Tear if you've completed the initial set of Chrono Quests and have the Chrono Key that comes as a reward for it.

Sadly, you were a little late with the advice.

You need to level your strut passive and pimp cane mastery. Mine are maxed, and as such I can go at a faster pace, after all:

E'ry day.
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah, haven't finished that questline yet. Just got help with Silver Frost, probably going to run into a wall again at the Twilight Temple bosses. Le sigh...

Thank-you all once again c: Last question I hope XD If all the skills after 79 need books...where do you forge Violet Dance and its stuff? I looked through the forges and all I could find (aside from all the demon/sage stuff) was the two level 79s and the two level 100s. Violet Dance says it's a level 80 skill...
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah, haven't finished that questline yet. Just got help with Silver Frost, probably going to run into a wall again at the Twilight Temple bosses. Le sigh...

Thank-you all once again c: Last question I hope XD If all the skills after 79 need books...where do you forge Violet Dance and its stuff? I looked through the forges and all I could find (aside from all the demon/sage stuff) was the two level 79s and the two level 100s. Violet Dance says it's a level 80 skill...

If you DD a lot, ask a friend to pick the VD skill book up from Morai (95+ lvl zone) and Aurora Blast for you. Aurora is mostly for pvp, but works as a self heal if you're in VD regardless. All the morai skills (basically anything requiring VD to use) all come from the morai map. All but two are able to be bought using influence points earned from questing there, and VD and Aurora Blast are very cheap to get.

Also, you are able to get your 100 culti skills using influence in there as well, but it takes a while. For clerics you can get Seal of the Gods from Luminance faction, and I think Elven Boon from Shroud. It takes around 2 months if you get the badge to get prestige faster, and if you rebirth you can't do the quests until you're 95+ again. I was impatient and bought the chrono pages for Elven Boon, and will earn SotG through Luminance.
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ahh, okies! Good to know. Gotta wait to get that stone for the last 10 levels I need to get into Morai then. Thank-you!