Bots - Detrimental to the future of PWI? Or a necessity?

Nahktuul - Archosaur
Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
Normally I don't post much about negative things regarding PWI. I've been around since CB, on multiple servers, and survived through most of PWE's royal **** ups. So forgive me if I strike a raw chord in some of you.

Botting, as I see it, provides no real benefit to the health and continued progress of a game. As we go further and further into P2W (which, lets face it, is what this game is), I find myself more and more irritated with the fact that practically everywhere you go, there is a bot KS'ing and preventing people from completing quests, dailies, ect.

What's your take on bots? Are you a botter? If so, are you aware that your actions have a significant negative impact on this game? Do you care? If you aren't a botter, why not?
PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
Post edited by Nahktuul - Archosaur on

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Botting should be dead when the next expansion hits us with all DQ being lowered to 1 coin.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • StellaNova - Raging Tide
    StellaNova - Raging Tide Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah hope fully that will kill some of the annoying bots on quest/Basequest mobs - tho I gonna miss my reapir money from DQ drops, but well as OP wrote, it's a P2W game - wonder when other drops gets nerfed too :P
    Miss my Avatar b:sad

Starfall Marshall b:victory
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Botting should be dead when the next expansion hits us with all DQ being lowered to 1 coin.

Aren't people also botting for XP? Especially with 3x on, and RB gets 4-3.5x, as well as xp ornaments. A lot of botters I see aren't picking up the drops.

Why was botting even introduced in this game?
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited November 2014

To artifically keep the number of online players high? Really can't think of any other option...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Botting will still be profitable for a few classes, not many after the expansion. My repairs are usually like 60k after a 4-5 hour bot session. It is going to cost some classes too much to bot for even just exp when the nerf comes.

My opinion on botting is that it's more cash flow in the game, higher prices yes. But the flip is that the upcoming expansion will bring the lowest coin influx we have seen. People are going to be hard up for coins. You have to rely on luck to get coins. That is worse than botting.

Other thing to be noted is the nerf isn't because of bots here in pwi, it's because china is literally over run with bots. A person can log 100 bots without ever even opening a client.
  • rtmira
    rtmira Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ... everywhere you go, there is a bot KS'ing and preventing people from completing quests, dailies, ect.?

At first I hated it to see bots around but then I discovered I didn't have to do all the kills: most of the time I have my mob at 50% or lower HP the bot comes and goes for the kill. Drops and kill are mine. So now I really don't care now if people have a bot or even dualclient/multiclient with bots. Also it looks a bit funny to see all bots running around and try to kill the same mob.
    If there there is one thing I like to see in a future patch I would choose for bots in PK-mode on PvE server. Would make it more interesting to everyone. But I'm only 1 of many players around.
  • nbreaking
    nbreaking Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, before earning time was implemented, I used to bot on my sin (main toon) for coins. The mobs that I had my bot on were not needed by anyone (mobs in hell). I wasn't really stopping anyone from getting their quests done, so, that was not a problem buuuut, I do realize that while I did my botting I probably got around 200M total (from when I started until I stopped using the bot, I didn't bot every single day). Did I feel bad about it? Honestly, yes and no. Yes because I knew I was helping to inflate the economy and no because it was that kind of mentality "Everyone is doing it, I am gonna be left behind while everyone takes advantage of this".

On my psy, I have been botting just for the exp, he was lvl 77 and 3x exp while botting has leveled him to almost 79 in one night (I do all my dailies, play with him and then before going to sleep I leave the bot on).

Anyway, I really like the suggestion some people gave about popping you into PvP mode when you start to bot but... yeah...

Anyway, that's my opinion and my reasons to bot.

Mr. Justice
  • Vasanta - Lost City
    Vasanta - Lost City Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can ensure you that bot level on Lost City is quite low b:cute

P.S. Boters love me b:dirty

lets hope when DQ go to 1 coin, DQ system will finally come back
  • pruttkudde
    pruttkudde Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2014

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
  • Fail_BM - Raging Tide
    Fail_BM - Raging Tide Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bots will be almost gone soon, but with that patch a lot of people will quit, because it is another unpopular update.

The need of wanmei to make this version like PW-CN is making people leave faster than ever. If you don't think it is true, go to raging tides; you don't even lag at west archo anymore.
  • Keisari - Raging Tide
    Keisari - Raging Tide Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    RT ish indeed quite dead compared to couple years ago. That time NWs used to have 250+ people per nation even on Sunday nights, now it's hardly 80 per nation on a good night. WC ish quite dead when no drama, Kitty thinks there's not even one WC/min anymore on the average.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kittysama - Raging Tide in APS-barb disguise, when avatars were bugged. Now posting again as Kittysama.
    Deleted old mains on Feb. 2014, back with every viable build covered, majority of them at or above non-rb 100.b:cute
    The Greatest APS-Panda on RT! 'Cause there's too much food in tables of Imperial palace.b:surrender
    Kitty's current average lvl ~94 b:shocked
  • hoover69
    hoover69 Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    its bull**** that botter prevents you from completing quests/dailies. there are enough monsters out there. when i need to do my dailies or quests i go and kill and finish it even when there are botters.

and i also got botters. botting for exp and coins and hp/mp potions, since buying those damn tokens/crabs cost way too much now

even if they make all dq 1 coin it won't change or stop me.

and again botting doesn't pretend anyone from completing quests well not in my server i don't see that many here to begin with. as for me i also set my bots in a area corner of the map where there might be 3 to 4 monsters so i won't get in the way of the dickheads that cry about botters taking their kills if they go there its cause they wanna be little whining crybaby *******
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On sanctuary we love botting. We take out our main r9 3rd cast +12, and our alts r9 3rd cast +11. Set them all in the same range. We use range classes, so we one shot everything in sight. Something spawns, within a second it is dead. You have quest mobs no problem, wait until a miracle happens if you are not a range class b:laugh.
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can ensure you that bot level on Lost City is quite low b:cute

P.S. Boters love me b:dirty

lets hope when DQ go to 1 coin, DQ system will finally come back

Nah the Dq system went by points and even if all Dq was 1 coin botting will abuse that system as well depending on the rewards.

And even on my server there aren't as much catshops like there used to be they are kinda in clusters now.
  • lodez
    lodez Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think it was a utility that they wanted to push out as a pay-to-use item. Following the botting utility trends in China f2p games. However, probably due to some reason, it was thrown in as a freebie.
  • GreenLegend - Archosaur
    GreenLegend - Archosaur Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Just curious, the items I pick up while "botting" aren't labeled as DQ items, are they too going to be reduced to 1 coin; or are we referring to DQ items as in those items NPCs to obtain DQ Rewards?
    Dreams are just dreams...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Other thing to be noted is the nerf isn't because of bots here in pwi, it's because china is literally over run with bots. A person can log 100 bots without ever even opening a client.

... that's a failing on the dev end, to not verify client integrity (or tag suspicious clients - trace the money flow and eradicate the R9 who ultimately benefits from a botfarm). I've said it before and will say it again: As long as people feel the benefits of botting outweigh the drawbacks or risks, bots will be.

Removing DQ items is a good move, but it won't stop full offensive oneshot bots with expanded inventories from farming the extra drops. It'd reduce the income of bots, but not eliminate it. We will see a resurgence in the amount of -snip- users - the ones who automatically mine resources, and automatically fly to the nearest city if their inventory is full to sell. Because those abilities become important again and AutoCultivation doesn't support it. Gold prices will not drop for months because people who bot have huge coin reserves by now.
    Players who previously used bots to farm will likely retask those toons to do BHs for coin. So we'll see a lot of BH1's with a heavy alt load. Ever done AEU with 5 people going "afk"? It's not fun.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Darkette - Sanctuary
    Darkette - Sanctuary Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was irritated by all the botters in the daily quest areas at first, mostly because I've got an abhorrence to KS'ing and was terrified I might be taking someone else's kills. Yeah, totally stupid on my part. I got over it -- I'm well geared, have a Harpy, and now I just go in blazing away.

In my view, the really negative fallout from botting is that it's turned normally considerate people, like me, into totally uncaring arseholes. Kinda sad, but if you're going to survive and prosper in this perfect world, you've got to think only about yourself and **** everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In my view, the really negative fallout from botting is that it's turned normally considerate people, like me, into totally uncaring arseholes. Kinda sad, but if you're going to survive and prosper in this perfect world, you've got to think only about yourself and **** everyone else.

I totally understand that and I'm in the same situation... I've always tried not to KS people that need same mobs as me but arrived before me. I guess this is something I'm used to do because when I was playing on PVP PW-MY servers we were "well educated", queuing for oracle bosses and so on (which is not the case on PVE Morai server where some people like killing the mobs you've just pulled and enjoy their blue names xD).
    I noticed that my behaviour recently changed. Because honestly I don't care people botting at quests spots (I find them totally dumb and unefficient though) since I can kill mobs faster than them anyway. But I now sometimes assume that everyone is a bot and when I need to kill mobs I just go to the spot and kill everything while some toons might not be bots.

kinda sad...
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bots whether implemented by a game (PWI's auto-cultivation), or as a 3rd party illegal app, have been around since the dawn of MMOs. They have all had bots. They will all have bots. Even games with active GMs still had bots. Sure GMs would occasionally pop in and ask a series of questions, and if not answered timely or correctly, the 'player' went *poof*, but there were still characters being played by a computer system.

There were times in the past bots were for gaining experience since the amount of coins you had wasn't important, or a real part of the economy; when to reach the max level for max level specific gear took three or more years for the non-botter or over a year to two for those even continuously botting in some obscure place on a map. There was no "OMG I want to be max level in less than a month" like there is as a scourge in MMOs today. The only reason people used bots was because even with using them, it still took forever to reach the highest level possible, but back then too, the communities were different. People were friendlier, more helpful, and helping others you felt a sense of pride. Most people didnt care about bots unless they were in an instance that had mobs that were needed to complete a hard quest.

Those games with the great communities also were not F2P. They were P2P. The F2P model in my opinion was and is the downfall of MMOs. In order to have a F2P model you have to offer some kind of incentive for people to stay and in the case of PWI, that incentive for the fast gearing is you must have deep pockets so that you as a gaming company can keep the game live and profitable. You no longer have the $12 monthly fee coming in every month, or you dont have the $60 fee for each expansion.

F2P modeled games also have to create an in game economy that those that spend no money for the game, can still somewhat actively participate. In case of PWI its base is coins. Coins trade for gold that people spend real money on. Making it easier to gain the end game gear by spending a lot of real money, for those with the deep pockets, or too little time to live at their computer also put a wedge between the F2P player and the P2W player. The P2W player with their deep pockets also bought a lot of gold. They also bought a lot of packs. The majority of them also didnt bot in this game. They didnt need to. The merchants (herb/mat farmers) and the F2P players were the ones that needed to bot to even try keeping up with those that have a large amount of expendable income. People that could buy their way to the end game gear just bought more gold with zen. Sure there were exceptions, there always are, but for the most part, bots were needed for the more competitive people. The regular PvE player who isnt interested in PvP was less likely to bot, though in my opinion, were the second largest group of people botting. The first being the competitive players that don't have deep pockets.

The real issue is people with deep pockets that bought end game gear get bored faster and leave. This drops the amount of cash shoppers significantly. This lowers the amount of accessible gold to buy in game. This creates more demand. People that cash shopped have what they need. It was just desires to go the extra step and get packs for making end game shards, orbs, and the like, or obtaining the rare mount/flyer/fashion. People that use bots are increasing their coin levels, but the cost of items has ever increased as well due to less cash shoppers/less gold available.

Think of the cash shopper as a lake of water and the free to play player as a piranha. Gold is any animal that goes into that pool. When its springtime, that animal can swim freely unless there is a small cut on it that is trickling blood (sale). Depending on the food sources, those piranha might get into a feeding frenzy (+10 orb sales/chip packs/MoGs). Now imagine a drought (bored CSers that leave the game over time) the water level drops, food gets more and more scarce, and the piranha start eating their own kind (gold prices go up due to supply and demand), or any unsuspecting living thing that happens to find itself in the ever dwindling pool of water which can become a skeleton in seconds. Unless there is an extended period of rain (incentive for cash shoppers to return or new cash shoppers to play) that lake begins to dry up, the piranha numbers drop either due to lack of oxygen or cannibalism, until where there was once a lake, is nothing but an arid water-less depression in the ground (dead MMO).
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]