First World Problems

Options
slapyourgrandma
slapyourgrandma Posts: 107 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
Ok, thought I'd share with you my First World Problems. So, my GF decided that she would like to create a character in the game and didn't know which one. She has never been the **** and slash type of person so I recommended that she be a Cleric to walk around and help others, etc. FINE! GREAT! (especially since I'm a barb, clerics come in handy). She is learning the game quite easily and is slowly working up in levels.
Here is my First World Problem. While helping some people (I was also helping) run through an FB, her attention deficit order goes into hyper stone mode and she literally stands up and walks over to listen to the christmas sales on TV!!!!! WTH!!! Ok I understand there are sales and pretty flashy lights everywhere, but you just don't walk away when you are in a party....I had to reach over the table to avoid getting one of the team members killed.
Anyone else have first world problems???

b:angryb:cry
Raging Tides:

Devestarious:Sage Barb 101/101/100
Post edited by slapyourgrandma on

Comments

• Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LOL Oooo piece of candy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yea, it's annoying when people suddenly go afk in a dungeon while the rest of the party is in the middle of a bossfihey, that's some nice fashion!
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I feel your pain.My daughter made a cleric and she was kinda doing some dumb stuff and I kinda yelled at her to do something the correct way and she never played again in years lolb:laugh
  • Darkette - Sanctuary
    Darkette - Sanctuary Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've got MS, which I've mostly overcome in-game by creating macros on my mouse and keyboard (mashing icons on the toolbars is definitely not my thing). I also avoid some instances like AEU and FSP altogether because they stress me too much. To play competently I have to really concentrate -- watching squad chat and fighting at the same time is a problem for me. Today it got me in trouble because I'd inadvertently picked up a bunch of WS emblems, was asked to drop them, but I didn't see the chat. Someone finally whispered me and said I was about to get kicked out of squad for not dropping the emblems. Irony is I didn't want them anyway.

By the way, I'm *that* veno y'all love to gank in NW. I wouldn't do NW either, but I need the supply tokens.

Sorry not all of us are pro or perfect specimens of health, with lightning reflexes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slapyourgrandma
    slapyourgrandma Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've got MS, which I've mostly overcome in-game by creating macros on my mouse and keyboard (mashing icons on the toolbars is definitely not my thing). I also avoid some instances like AEU and FSP altogether because they stress me too much. To play competently I have to really concentrate -- watching squad chat and fighting at the same time is a problem for me. Today it got me in trouble because I'd inadvertently picked up a bunch of WS emblems, was asked to drop them, but I didn't see the chat. Someone finally whispered me and said I was about to get kicked out of squad for not dropping the emblems. Irony is I didn't want them anyway.

By the way, I'm *that* veno y'all love to gank in NW. I wouldn't do NW either, but I need the supply tokens.

Sorry not all of us are pro or perfect specimens of health, with lightning reflexes.

Physical disabilities are quite understandable when it comes to the game. I was more pointing to the fact that a shoe sale on TV pulled her away made me want to give her a hug. With a pillow. While she is sleeping. b:shutup
    Raging Tides:

Devestarious:Sage Barb 101/101/100
  • PeachyKisses - Archosaur
    PeachyKisses - Archosaur Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well I wanted to say I feel for you and have an autistic child who kinda does the same thing. The game is almost to much information coming in at once for his mind to wrap around all at once. So he doesn't play really. And that is ok because there are other online game options for him.

However it is you that made the terrible mistake of making her choose Cleric. It was chosen for the wrong reason and here is why.

1. Cleric is the main healer! Most low level squads rely totally on the cleric. This takes ALOT of concentration on said cleric ability to focus.

2. Clerics are very squishy. Most times it's all they can do sometimes to keep themselves alive let alone a whole squad.

So with that said might I suggest her trying another class. A damage support class. Perhaps a wizard or a psychic. They lay out a nice amount of damage and are relatively easy to play for the first time PWI player. And if she gets up and walks away when she goes into hyper mode its doesn't have such a devistating effect on the squad. Or maybe a Mystic. A little heavier on the beginning skill set to be learned but a rather hearty class as a whole. Nice DD and nice squad support. As long as they don't treat her as the main healer in squads she should be fine. I really hope she finds a class other than cleric that she can play with you and have a good time. Keep us updated on how she is doing in game. Im interested in seeing how she progresses. Best of luck to both of you. b:cute
  • noodlepunch
    noodlepunch Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you for posting this awesomeness b:laugh

I've been telling all my friends and faction mates to read it as well.

Please give your gf something shiny before you hug her b:chuckle
  • Keisari - Raging Tide
    Keisari - Raging Tide Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well I wanted to say I feel for you and have an autistic child who kinda does the same thing. The game is almost to much information coming in at once for his mind to wrap around all at once. So he doesn't play really. And that is ok because there are other online game options for him.

However it is you that made the terrible mistake of making her choose Cleric. It was chosen for the wrong reason and here is why.

1. Cleric is the main healer! Most low level squads rely totally on the cleric. This takes ALOT of concentration on said cleric ability to focus.

2. Clerics are very squishy. Most times it's all they can do sometimes to keep themselves alive let alone a whole squad.

So with that said might I suggest her trying another class. A damage support class. Perhaps a wizard or a psychic. They lay out a nice amount of damage and are relatively easy to play for the first time PWI player. And if she gets up and walks away when she goes into hyper mode its doesn't have such a devistating effect on the squad. Or maybe a Mystic. A little heavier on the beginning skill set to be learned but a rather hearty class as a whole. Nice DD and nice squad support. As long as they don't treat her as the main healer in squads she should be fine. I really hope she finds a class other than cleric that she can play with you and have a good time. Keep us updated on how she is doing in game. Im interested in seeing how she progresses. Best of luck to both of you. b:cute

Kitty would suggest wizzie, too, as most squads don't need to rely on it's skills(surprisingly many rely on psy's stun) and with it's slow channeling the flow of information ain't that big. Psy's are actually quite intense class to play due to fast channeling speed.

Mystic would actually be the worst possible choice due to multi-tasking it involves. To be a good mystic one would need to continuosly watch for herb timers, squad mates' HPs(while healing), control their pets, use pots and Transference(mystic uses loads of mana) and do DDing on top of it all. Mystic also needs fast reflexes while healing due to most effective heals being single-tick instead of DoTs like cleric's IH.
    To be honest, mystic ish challenging class even for Kitty to play due to having to concentrate on so effin many thingies at once. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kittysama - Raging Tide in APS-barb disguise, when avatars were bugged. Now posting again as Kittysama.
    Deleted old mains on Feb. 2014, back with every viable build covered, majority of them at or above non-rb 100.b:cute
    The Greatest APS-Panda on RT! 'Cause there's too much food in tables of Imperial palace.b:surrender
    Kitty's current average lvl ~94 b:shocked
  • noodlepunch
    noodlepunch Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kitty would suggest wizzie, too, as most squads don't need to rely on it's skills(surprisingly many rely on psy's stun) and with it's slow channeling the flow of information ain't that big. Psy's are actually quite intense class to play due to fast channeling speed.

Mystic would actually be the worst possible choice due to multi-tasking it involves. To be a good mystic one would need to continuosly watch for herb timers, squad mates' HPs(while healing), control their pets, use pots and Transference(mystic uses loads of mana) and do DDing on top of it all. Mystic also needs fast reflexes while healing due to most effective heals being single-tick instead of DoTs like cleric's IH.
    To be honest, mystic ish challenging class even for Kitty to play due to having to concentrate on so effin many thingies at once. b:shocked

Must agree with Kitty on this. Cleric is the worst, Mystic second worse and even Psy can play a support role with heals/purify/etc and tanking in white voodoo til the squad can get back if there is a wipe. I don't have experience with a Wiz but maybe an Archer would be good?
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My general hints on a successful instance/group quest (sarcasm inside):

- Don't take a pee/poo break while you're exploring the dungeon. It's better to do it while traveling towards it via autopathing or when another has alreay chosen to go afk, he/she will take the blame instead of you. The faster it's dealt with, the better, by the way.

- Don't eat greasy food with your hands. Even if it's something like potato chips or pizza, get a bowl/plate and a fork, even if you'll look like a fool. Slippery hands will only be a shortcut to almost guaranteed defeat.

- Avoid leaving soda, water, tea, coffee and such near the keyboard. If you spill it on the keyboard or spit it on the screen out of surprise, you'll easy lose control.

- Try to run instance with patient friends or faction mates. Randoms generally have a so much lower tolerance level, especially nowadays. Perfect QQ International, you know?

- Cut the TV, radio, mp3 player and other external sources of sound and music that could distract/brainwash you too much. Don't answer the phone or the doorbell by any means. Obey PWI and PWI only.

- Don't even think of cooking food while you go for monsters and treasure. You'll only end getting charcoal (no, not the material) in your plate. If you got to eat instant ramen (the holy food of all champion gamers of all nationalities), prepare it and absorb it in a flash. Fast made, fast eaten.

- Lock your door. You don't want your pet, little brother/sister, cousin, parents and all other people that cannot understand your sheer addiction to PWI distract you from your life-or-death quest. You don't want a cat to play piano while walking on your keyboard.
    If you got no choice on the matter (most often about extending your playing time) just plead with them saying it could haunt you all night/day if you don't perform properly.

- Don't think of what you would eat for dinner or breakfast. It will only make you want to leave your seat to pilfer food from the fridge. Plan all in advance, have your work and homework done. PWE won't defend you if you end being an academical failure or if you suffer from insomnia and snooze at work.

- Don't spout lies to your loved ones when you play PWI. Especially if you promise you'll buy a pair of spiffy shiny new shoes to your girlfriend/wife to buy peace and don't do it afterwards. You'll only face terrible, horrible, distasteful, relentless, ruthless, unbridled wrath from her. Your gamer integrity may suffer a terrible fate.
    One wise but creepy mask merchant once said "You've met a terrible fate, haven't you?"... Words of wisdom.

Etc., etc. b:bye
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Chrisalys - Dreamweaver
    Chrisalys - Dreamweaver Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm sorry to say this, but, time to slow down.
    Don't ever take a game too serious, you might lose your GF, your job, your family and your life.

1-800-get-a-life b:bye
    #PlayCasually
    #DontGetTooSerious
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!" - Dracula
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm sorry to say this, but, time to slow down.
    Don't ever take a game too serious, you might lose your GF, your job, your family and your life.

1-800-get-a-life b:bye
    #PlayCasually
    #DontGetTooSerious

But... but... For some it's a way of life, almost a reason to live.
    I'm even sure that it could be difficult for them to not vent their frustration from the game when they get offline...

Gladly I'm not one of them. Phew!

*Happy dance* b:pleased
  • OFate - Heavens Tear
    OFate - Heavens Tear Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes... for me it was when I forgot to turn off my cell phone's alarm. When I reached for it, it fell behind the desk... and it kept buzzing... and buzzing... (I was tanking an instance ... and the group was fast moving).

Then there was the time I moved my laptop to another side of the desk to avoid the sun's glare from the window. Later, I hit up an instance with friends and I was tanking... >> right near the end my laptop's warning that my battery was almost empty came on... the second the boss died, so did my laptops battery.

Timing.. huh...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ying - 101 Sage Venomancer RB2 // No Alts // Perfect World Player Since: May 2008
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes... for me it was when I forgot to turn off my cell phone's alarm. When I reached for it, it fell behind the desk... and it kept buzzing... and buzzing... (I was tanking an instance ... and the group was fast moving).

Then there was the time I moved my laptop to another side of the desk to avoid the sun's glare from the window. Later, I hit up an instance with friends and I was tanking... >> right near the end my laptop's warning that my battery was almost empty came on... the second the boss died, so did my laptops battery.

Timing.. huh...

Yep and a MMO doesn't have a pause function, afk alerts or savestates. It also won't care if you die of lag or connection problems. b:surrender

I like this thread. b:laugh