Where is sparkie

Options
hugmachine
hugmachine Posts: 43 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
Is he sick or on leave/vacation???
Haven't seen him on so was wondering if anyone knew whats up????
Post edited by hugmachine on

Comments

• _Thoren_ - Harshlands
    _Thoren_ - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    He has been captured and taken away by the evil alien overlords that run pwe for planning to reveal to us their secret plan of world domination. No worries though Finn and Jake are on their way to rescue him. Hopefully in time for sparkie to release the next weekly code to us. I received word from a Squirrel messenger that Finn and Jake were slowed down in their travels to rescue him by donkey banditos but are making headway now and should be at the Unicorn Fairy Reptilian overlord fortress to rescue sparkie shortly. Lets have sparkie in our prayers for now. Only glob knows what kind of cruel and twisted torture he is going through. b:shocked
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    the usual stuff that happens to community managers after a while >_>

eatwithspoons was rather popular cause he actually stayed with the community...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hugmachine wrote: »
    Is he sick or on leave/vacation???
    Haven't seen him on so was wondering if anyone knew whats up????

I'm pretty sure he's still staffed with PWE. Unfortunately, PWE seems to have a "save all the moneyz" model, which means that he is working on multiple things at once. If you guys take a look through PWE's website, you'll notice that sparkie is the CM for most of PWE game forums, and he's also the guy that posts news and patch notes for most games. Note: "most"; not all.

So, we've established that he's overworked, right? Kay.

It doesn't really surprise me when he doesn't post much, regulate the forums (manage the community...), etc, because PWE's model is to overwork their staff. A glance at Glassdoor will show company employee issues dating back to PWE's inception. Biggest complaint? Overworked and underpaid. PWE is a stepping stool for many new college grads to get their foot in the door for game companies. I'm not surprised when CMs leave. They aren't treated with respect by the communities they manage, typically, and their job demands too much out of them.

Also, PWE get's it's revenue from a broken model of sucking cash out of parent's wallets for their children. Gambling packs, and the fact that everything is run from China is an issue. Besides a few titles being developed here in the USA and published by PWE, most of PWE's games are subsidiaries of titles in China. This means that when the game breaks or they have problems, they get to have fun with sending complaints and questions across seas to a company that is pretty irresponsible with their games and money (models, fashion events, etc).

I also feel pretty bad for mods of PWE games. They choose to take on a position where they are often criticized, and they are doing this "job" for free. PWE should have the decency to pay the mods, really. They are picking up the slack of PWE's cheap forum-management model. The fact that some of the mods do this actively and for free is absolute bollocks. Any reasonable company would hire them on and pay them some form of wage. In 2014 it's ludicrous to essentially work for a company but not get paid, unless you are interning for free or doing community service.

No joke, I would never accept a mod position. I have the upmost respect for them, though. It's a shame that PWE can't give them monetary values as a reward. They need to eat and survive just like anyone else, but are expected to spend hours a day trolling these forums to move, close, and report users (as well as give credible information). But that's just it; PWE looks to save costs everywhere. They are making hundreds of millions a year from their title line-up, but they can't pay $8.00 an hr for someone to moderate the community? Now, that's a shame.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • Kiymori - Heavens Tear
    Kiymori - Heavens Tear Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    the usual stuff that happens to community managers after a while >_>

eatwithspoons was rather popular cause he actually stayed with the community...

Wouldn't be surprised, PW seems to have a strange dislike for CM's that actually do their job well.
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm pretty sure he's still staffed with PWE. Unfortunately, PWE seems to have a "save all the moneyz" model, which means that he is working on multiple things at once. If you guys take a look through PWE's website, you'll notice that sparkie is the CM for most of PWE game forums, and he's also the guy that posts news and patch notes for most games. Note: "most"; not all.

It doesn't really surprise me when he doesn't post much, regulate the forums (manage the community...), etc, because PWE's model is to overwork their staff. A glance at Glassdoor will show company employee issues dating back to PWE's inception. Biggest complaint? Overworked and underpaid. PWE is a stepping stool for many new college grads to get their foot in the door for game companies. I'm not surprised when CMs leave. They aren't treated with respect by the communities they manage, typically, and their job demands too much out of them.

Also, PWE get's it's revenue from a broken model of sucking cash out of parent's wallets for their children. Gambling packs, and the fact that everything is run from China is an issue. Besides a few titles being developed here in the USA and published by PWE, most of PWE's games are subsidiaries of titles in China. This means that when the game breaks or they have problems, they get to have fun with sending complaints and questions across seas to a company that is pretty irresponsible with their games and money (models, fashion events, etc).

I also feel pretty bad for mods of PWE games. They choose to take on a position where they are often criticized, and they are doing this "job" for free. PWE should have the decency to pay the mods, really. They are picking up the slack of PWE's cheap forum-management model. The fact that some of the mods do this actively and for free is absolute bollocks. Any reasonable company would hire them on and pay them some form of wage. In 2014 it's ludicrous to essentially work for a company but not get paid, unless you are interning for free or doing community service.

No joke, I would never accept a mod position. I have the upmost respect for them, though. It's a shame that PWE can't give them monetary values as a reward. They need to eat and survive just like anyone else, but are expected to spend hours a day trolling these forums to move, close, and report users (as well as give credible information). But that's just it; PWE looks to save costs everywhere. They are making hundreds of millions a year from their title line-up, but they can't pay $8.00 an hr for someone to moderate the community? Now, that's a shame.

Sad, but true. Although I think PWE has some kind of policy where they won't employ anyone who is not a resident of California or something like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • STrickeeN - Harshlands
    STrickeeN - Harshlands Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    awww i thought sparkiesoft was a girl, but anyways, its a pity dat he was fired coz he was doing well, very well, :(b:cry not been ironic, in fact its a pitty
  • iconique
    iconique Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    awww i thought sparkiesoft was a girl, but anyways, its a pity dat he was fired

Well, let's not jump to conclusions.

edited October 2014
    Options

well that and PWE needs to hire pple that actually want to sniff around on the forums at least >> Working in the background does indeed need some special environment sometimes but being a CM on the forums can be done at home too if for just social interaction with the community. Which then brings up the question, as far as social interaction with the community is concerned, are you the type that treats it strictly as job and @job or are you willing to interact a bit at home too.
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • bluestuffzzz
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sad, but true. Although I think PWE has some kind of policy where they won't employ anyone who is not a resident of California or something like that.

Yeah, I know. That's just bad policy. In 2014 most companies are doing telecommuting and digital forms of work. It's silly that an online game publisher would refuse to hire someone just because they aren't in the local populous. Talk about limitations your staff and capabilities as a company. Most companies around here where I live are open to telecommuting (working from home), and hiring staff around the globe. Of course, most of these businesses are in the digital technology field, or at least open to using technology in the workplace.

PWE is using the model of the 1990s and early 2000's.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Today is a holiday. I wouldn't worry unless we don't hear form him tomorrow.
  • bluestuffzzz
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Today is a holiday. I wouldn't worry unless we don't hear form him tomorrow.

True, though businesses are generally open on this holiday.
  • hugmachine
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well the last time he was in here was the 3rd.
    no update for October , nothing.
    So I was wondering if the mods or anyone else had heard from him.b:surrender
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So much truth

This post brought a tear to my eye.

Sweetiebot please award bluestuffzzz; 30 points for hitting the nail right on the head.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »

Sweetiebot please award bluestuffzzz; 30 points for hitting the nail right on the head.
    OPKossy awards 30 points to bluestuffzzz!
    bluestuffzzz is now in 1st place for October 2014 with 30 points (40 points overall).

Check this thread for the current high scores and to learn how to award points to others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    California only? So that's why Morai is so... well... screwed in the GM department. Try finding a Californian resident who speaks both german and french to want to manage a (by now largely) hostile community.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    TZoner - Raging Tide Posts: 1,764 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Let's all have a moment of silence for sparkie....clearly we all actually like him cuz he gets stuff done. *Raises a glass* I'll drink one for you sparkie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Socqar - Lost City
    Socqar - Lost City Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So far nothing official regarding sparkie abscence but our compulsory need for posts from him though... right?
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,839 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I personally think we would be alowed to have a player type of CM who is voted on in some sence.

Ill continue to work on the new GA program for now tho ... got enough to deal with!
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So far nothing official regarding sparkie abscence but our compulsory need for posts from him though... right?
    OPKossy wrote: »
    This post brought a tear to my eye.

Ummm, what would this be then?
  • Socqar - Lost City
    Socqar - Lost City Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Krisnda wrote: »
    Ummm, what would this be then?

Mmm did you quote correctly? Don't understand what you ment.
    edited October 2014
    Options
    where art thou mr sparkplug
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited October 2014
    Options
    where art thou mr sparkplug

The plug's burned out and platinum's aren't on sale yet?b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • Sukkapunch - Archosaur
    Sukkapunch - Archosaur Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    He been canned for throwing the players of pwi some bones... hahahaha
  • sparkiesoft
    sparkiesoft Posts: 47
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh my haha. Well, I am in fact not gone and still here. It is true that I have to work on multiple games/Arc, so that may be why you don't see me post as much as I'd like. I was also gone Friday and we, for reasons unknown to me, had Monday off!

Sorry for the few days of silence, I'll be getting back up to speed with some more posts throughout the week! Next up, maintenance thread, yay!
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh my haha. Well, I am in fact not gone and still here. It is true that I have to work on multiple games/Arc, so that may be why you don't see me post as much as I'd like. I was also gone Friday and we, for reasons unknown to me, had Monday off!

Sorry for the few days of silence, I'll be getting back up to speed with some more posts throughout the week! Next up, maintenance thread, yay!

Good to see you aren't dead yet lol. Monday was Columbus Day, which is probably why you had it off though I'm a little surprised since you don't have a government job, but oh well, you got another day off, always helps! b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • sparkiesoft
    sparkiesoft Posts: 47
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good to see you aren't dead yet lol. Monday was Columbus Day, which is probably why you had it off though I'm a little surprised since you don't have a government job, but oh well, you got another day off, always helps! b:chuckle

Haha ya I knew it was Columbus Day, I just don't ever remember getting that day off! Can't complain though!
  • hugmachine
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Welcome back lol..
    Hope you get holiday pay . b:thanks
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    TZoner - Raging Tide Posts: 1,764 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Haha ya I knew it was Columbus Day, I just don't ever remember getting that day off! Can't complain though!

Welcome back. Clearly you were missed.b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]