My thoughts on TW and the state of PWI

Options
Aeliah - Dreamweaver
Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Tideswell (East)
Originally posted as a response to a TW video by Kalopsia, and posted here for duplicity.

"While the defense Tempest displayed was a good allocation of manpower, it is the manpower that is really saddening to see. The difference between 'near' endgame and 'endgame' is just too massive imo. The ridiculous gear imbalance seen here is why I really don't play much anymore. Throughout the video Kalopsia 1-2 shots many 'near' endgame characters with startling ease. I don't remember seeing # imbalance this big even when FayHumming had r9rr in TWs where most ppl were still in g16.

There are so many other games out there, MMORPGS included, that give one a chance to be competitive without spending a fortune in time or real money. Now I'm aware that this has always been the way PWI was, but at the very least, there used to be more opportunities for many people to occupy the top-tier bracket. Now though, the *cost* to enter the top-tier bracket has moved from merely 'somewhat difficult' to 'close to impossible without mortgaging the house/selling your soul to the devil'.

I was a merchanter of this game. In about 2-3 years of daily playing, I farmed and merchanted my way into the nearly-best gear available. I estimate that for me to go from my 'near' endgame gear to the 'true' endgame gear available today with a full set of S cards double-leveled would take at least 3 more years, if not more, of that same daily merchanting/farming grind.

And that would be with all of the resources and knowledge I have at my disposal. For the average player looking for some entertaining pvp, the dream of reaching a gear set where they could actually take on the likes of Kalopsia unassisted is a foolish pipe dream. The average player could spend a decade of play and never reach the gear set Kalopsia purchased in under a year.

It took time away from this game to see it, but PWI is a pay2win game in a truly horrible way. And it saddens me, because I really do like the pvp on this game. When people's gearsets are within, say, 25% difference in power, there can be competitive fights. The pve on this game was boring a long time ago, but the pvp always kept me coming back. Unfortunately, it is the few elite rich like Kalopsia *willing* to drop their real-life fortunes into this game that keeps prompting PWI to create items that grant the god-like power worth dropping a fortune on. By catering to the few, PWI continues to alienate the many.

When was the last time you remember meeting truly 'new' players in PWI? I certainly don't remember meeting any. The starter zones are perpetually empty. When was the last time you recommended PWI to a friend? I surely haven't in years. Though I feel myself almost beyond caring, I do still think PWI could reduce the power of the elite and increase accessibility to the endgame gear, thereby ensuring that more people can participate in fair and challenging pvp. I think they could do it, but I don't think they will---they lack the willpower, they lack the guts. It would take real courage on their part to move away from the tried-and-true method milking the rich to creating a gameplay where many players stand as equals.

I can't write the game off---many, many others have tried that, and they were wrong. The game, if not thriving, is still persisting. Like myself, many others probably recognize the truth of this game, but are loathe to leave behind all they worked on for so long. To those loyal players, I say that there is hope for you elsewhere. Dull the pain of leaving PWI by immersing yourself in a new project, and encourage your friends to go with you (heck I moved with friends from a now-gone game to PWI in the first place!) -WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY- and many others are all far, far superior options to PWI atm in almost every way. If you move with your friends, then you can keep that sense of community you've come to cherish while enjoying many new adventures together in more beautiful, more immersive, and more fair games.

I guess I can say it now, I'm leaving PWI. Oh, it may not be forever. I'm not going to limit my options like that. But for now I feel no pleasure in playing PWI, and so I will spend my time elsewhere. Currently I play -The drums- ---as a healer, no less!---and I'm enjoying myself immensely. I have thoughts of testing out -A potato- as well, but feel no rush to leave -The drums- atm. Whatever you decide, make sure you go somewhere where you can truly have FUN. As I once wrote long ago to some people in Dynasty (Wacky will remember), what point is there to a game if it stops being fun?

Good luck all.

Cheers."
YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
Post edited by Aeliah - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    You should add a TL:DR, I'll do one for you;

QQ OP Casher QQ p2w he must be hard casher or my merch skills fail b:cry

No offence Aeliah, but you had the most OP gear for a while, (think you got most of it over a summer holidays iirc and stopped improving it when you were back at school) and Dyna was facerolling everything with Mera and the full+12 josd squad, now that you are slightly undergeared compared to the top geared on the server, but still in the top 2% on the server, you quit the game.

Dat resolve.

It's a shame you never took your own advice, I remember you spoke to me (well logged your wife's toon and pretended to be her, but we'll ignore that detail) when Relic was getting rolled by Dyna about how I should recruit more people, organise my ranks, try my best to make us a strong rival again, well now the shoe is on the other foot, and instead of stepping up and helping Dyna through mediating with wacky or recruiting or even attending TW, you decide to throw in the towel, due to being unable to have the best gear on the server.

Meh.

Good luck in the future, hope you find a game that you enjoy, it was actually fun playing with you.
    Take care,
    Dark
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I know we have had our differences. (especially when it came to bm pvp playability) regardless of that fact...

I agreed with everything you said, albeit the game parts (as I haven't played them) and perhaps the pvp part as I haven't ever really truly enjoyed that part of the game, (yea my gear is an issue) still I know others have.

There is so much wrong with the game, from class imbalances, gear gaps, the economy etc but somehow a few remain, perhaps it is as you said a foolish pipe dream that is running low on faith/hope that something will change soon and for the better, that still doesn't change the fact that there is people still on the game, albeit it is older players that have been around for quite some time, nor will it keep people like myself/others like me from holding out hope for a 'hero' to save the game... as in convince pwi that the way they're doing things is actually doing more harm than good especially if they want to keep money coming to their pockets in the long run.

Not to mention what you touched on, the amount of work it is now taking to actually be able to compete with the truly overpowered, whether they spent cash on the game or worked their *** off for their gear, they are still real difficult to deal with especially for certain classes. (Nw added extra pressure to people to get that better gear in order to actually compete against others, but obviously it is still possible to resist that pressure/not spend real cash on the game.) Though a lot can be achieved with an insane amount of patience.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do/hope you enjoy your new game for years to come.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    That is all based on TW factions. A lot of non TW factions are still thriving on RT at any rate, with ample amounts of people logging in and playing, helping each other, having a good time, and still enjoying the game. Not everyone is interested in the TW scene, or interested in anything PvP on a PvE server, with the exception of NW.

I can see how it would be frustrating for those into TW and TW factions as well as PvP, but those aren't the set goals of everyone. TW might be fun, but there are too many complaints of it being one sided with one or two factions that continuously control the season. It would probably draw more people into experiencing TW if some of the elite TW factions split up and broadened the window of power, but those players tend to be so egotistical and can't stand losing, that its a hopeless cycle of the same outcome year in and year out. Sure there are a handful of extreme endgame players that can obliterate 99% of the others on the server. That's the nature of MMOs, especially the F2P ones that have companies that depend on money coming in from people who can afford to pay for whatever is new and advantageous to their character's ability, while ensuring the company has a revenue stream.

Instead of spreading out some, and making TW battles more epic, players complain about the boring 10 minute battles of being able to steamroll their opponent. Yeah that sounds like fun...not. The state of PWI in the non TW factions is fine, and in some cases doing quite well. If what I have been told by some members is true, there are quite a few new players, or players that have returned after a many months/years hiatus. It seems the endgame TWs are the ones that are in trouble more than the PvE non TW factions.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My mod senses are tingling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Kalopsia - Dreamweaver
    Kalopsia - Dreamweaver Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I remember playing this game on my seeker before r9 EG was released, waiting nearly a year to be even somewhat caught up to all the r9's. I didn't quit just because I couldn't get the gear I wanted.

You talk a lot, always about how you merchanted maxed endgame gears. I don't think that you realize the true pipedream is you thinking that you were the best merchant in server. If you yourself supposedly reached max endgame without cashing, who's to say there isn't someone who made 5x, 10x, maybe even more than you did. If you can't rationalize that thought, then I have to doubt your own claim of being f2p.

Once you catch up, get ahead and focus on staying ahead. It's a simple business mentality I carry with me. Also, never think you're the best, never think you can't be outdone, there's always someone bigger and better at what they do, and this applies to myself also.

Aeliah, you're an intelligent player with results from being an intelligent person, and I respect intelligence. You have the areas you specialize in and I have mine. If history tells the future, as it always does, the gear gap will be mitigated by an easier, cheaper alternative. Sad to see you go and hope you'll be back.
  • classic05
    classic05 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    ^say the person that bought his character.. with real cash
    Last time i heard.. another of your members bought another OP archer with r9rr + 12 deity...
  • Dragslave - Dreamweaver
    Dragslave - Dreamweaver Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I totally get what u mean Azz, we have talked about this before, and is like u say: If u are not having fun, whats the point of keep doing it.

And btw, merching a full nuema portal set to "stay in the top" is not easy, so i can understand anyone with endgame mentality that thinks is not easily reachable, or if your rl demands more time and being perfectionist as Azz is, he wont settle for less

Cheers Azz, hope u drop by to talk sometimeb:victory
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Ah, forgot about the 'no-mention-other-games-rule'. Lol.

Anyways, valid points by all. Some comments though. Ok, many comments. Incoming wall of text, not for the faint of heart.

Perspective. Perspective is a quality you can only gain by taking time away from an activity. Immersed as I was in PWI, I had no perspective. I imagine many other hardcore players like myself may also lack perspective on PWI.

I still love playing my cleric on PWI. I still enjoy a good pvp challenge. I still like the general colors/appearance of the game. I still enjoy talking with many of the people in the game.

What has changed, though, is that I no longer feel its worth my time to spend so much time on 'non-fun' activities just to have brief moments of 'pretty fun' activities.

When I launched my career in PWI to get the best gear I could, I wasn't aware of the myriad of other games I could be playing. I purposely blinded myself to even considering the possibility that PWI was an inferior option. I set goals for myself, and then I worked... and worked... and worked... and worked on them. And after much time and much effort and much conniving, I achieved those goals. And I got to the top of the gear chain and I looked around and I thought, this is a pretty great view. Some of you can probably understand this, but many won't, because you haven't been there yet.

I quickly started to run into some problems. There weren't many people at my gear tier, and even fewer with my skill level. I quickly ran out of people who could pose even a minor challenge to me in terms of small-scale pvp. But I still lacked perspective---I tried to fix my problems from within the box that was PWI. And so I innovated---I would fight while nerfing myself, or I would fight many people at once (see any of my Nation Wars videos for reference). All the while I ignored the sinking feeling in my heart and I kept LOOKING for ways to have fun in this game I'd grown so attached to, the game where my friends were, the game that my girlfriend played.

And then PWI brought out a new patch---neuma, cards, and more. So I started working on that, never questioning whether this was a good idea. But real life interfered and I wasn't able to dedicate as much time to PWI. And, though it was probably gradual, the realization was sudden---I was only half way up the mountain now. Below me was about 98% of the PWI population, and above, a select few who'd worked harder/spent more than I had, and had gear so much better than mine that I couldn't kill them even if they afked.

I admit the proposition of spending another 2 years of farming/merchanting had me feeling pretty depressed. After working hard, one is supposed to be able to enjoy the fruits of their labors, right? Must I put in more and more and more WORK to get back to the PLAY I wanted to engage in?

And at this point, I started looking elsewhere, and I even started to question what it was I wanted out of PWI. I tried other games, and I started to gain perspective. I realized that in other games, one doesn't need to work for years and years and years to reach 'near-best' gear. I also realized that, in other games, the differences between gear tiers wasn't as vast.

Let me explain. In game X that I currently play, there are roughly 4 tiers of gear, call them A, B, C, and D. If we set gear A = 1, then, roughly speaking, B = 1.5, C = 2, and D = 2.5-3. Thats right, in the game I play, the 'endgame best' pvp gear makes you about 2.5-3x more powerful than the beginner pvp gear set A.

In PWI though, the situation is much, much different. I can speak in terms of gear that you all know, of course. We have gear sets g16/r9, r9r, r9rr, r9rr + S card in each slot, r9rr + S cards double levelled, and r9rr + S card *set* double levelled (and other variations, but I choose these to express my argument). If we set g16/r9 = 1, then by my estimation, r9r = 2, r9rr = 3-4, r9rr with S cards = 6-8, and r9rr with full S card set double levelled = 12-16.

In other words, there are VAST differences between the various sets of gear used in PWI for pvp purposes. In game X, 'best gear' is 3x more powerful than 'starter' gear. In PWI, 'best gear' is 12-16 stronger than 'starter g16' gear.

For enormous sums of time or money, in PWI, you can essentially be as strong as an entire squad of lesser-geared players put together. Not in terms of total dmg output, of course, but in terms of pvp survivability and effectiveness. For example, with an aoe, I can take out (lets say I crit) half a squad of g16s in a single hit. As another example, with an aoe, Kalopsia can take out half a squad of r9rrs in a single hit. This isn't fantasy---just check any of the videos he or I have posted.

Consider player X. Player X is an average player who has gear better than 45% of the server, so he sh*ts on those 45% (charm bypasses or one-shots) with no skill needed. Perhaps he has similar gear to about 10% of the server (being optimistic here), and from among those people he can have competitive, skill-based fights. The remaining 45% of the server has better gear than him, and those people sh*t on him in fights, via charm bypasses or one-shots.

Now consider player Y. I am player Y---I have gear better than 98% of the server, and those 98% of people stand no chance against me in small-scale pvp. Less than 1% of the server has gear within my tier, hence the extremely limited option for skill-based fights. The remaining fraction has gear better than me, and they beat me with relative ease.

And finally, consider player Z. Player Z is Kalopsia. Kalopsia has the best gear available. Literally everybody else except maybe 2-3 people stand no chance against Kalopsia, because the gear gap is so, so massive. And unless its against the 3-4 people with somewhat similar gear, Kalopsia never engages in skill-based fights. Unlike me, however, Kalopsia likes this situation, and continues to spend his time and money to maintain his position at the top of the PWI pecking order.

What effect does this have? Well, for starters, its really hard to have balanced pvp. Usually any semblance of balance comes only from artificially deciding the groups and swapping out players. Secondly, while low-geared, you have more opportunities to fight equally-geared players, but you also get sh*t on all the time by higher-geared players. Thirdly, if you do climb the gear pyramid, you don't get sh*t on as much, but you very quickly lose the # of people with which you can have fair, challenging fights against. After all, it takes no skill to press a button and one-shot those lower-geared than yourself.

So we come back to what I said in my previous post---PWI caters to the elite few who spend the most ridiculous amounts of time and/or money to get the most ridiculously powerful gear, which, once they have it, guarantees that they will destroy anybody else less powerfully geared. Player Z against 5 player Xs? No problem. Player Z against 10 player Ys? Totally doable.

It took perspective for me to see it, but I realize now that this is never what I wanted. What I always wanted, what I always strived for, was a fight where my gear made some difference, but the true deciding factor was skill. And with the game I currently play, I believe that this ideal has been met. When I achieve the best pvp gear in my new game, I'll still have many, many people to have fair fights against---the many other 'best-geared' players, as well as small groups of 'slightly lesser-geared' players, because, as I said earlier, 'best' is only about 3x more powerful than 'starter', and only somewhat better than the fairly common lvl C gear.

In conclusion. The question I finally asked myself was, do I want to spend 2-3 more years to get to the top of the PWI gear pyramid once more, while further reducing the # of equally-geared players I have to fight? Do I want to sh*t on the 98% and get sh*t on by the 1% above me until I reach that 100%, at which point I'll **** on everybody else? Once asked, the question answered itself: definitely not.

So DarkSkiesx, its not a matter of 'giving up'. It is a matter of values. I get the most fun out of challenging, fair pvp fights. I determined that PWI is not a game worth spending my effort on, because the more effort I spend, the less fun it will get for me. There are those who find sh*tting on weaker players to be fun---I am not one of those people. And this is just the pvp. It goes without saying that PWI has extremely subpar PvE content to many other games out there.

On PWI, I'm a big fish in a very little pond. I've swum the waters of PWI for too long, and so now I've progessed further downstream to a lake, where I have much more room to swim around. Granted, there I'm only an average fish, but I find that, shockingly, I'm OK with that. Maybe one of these days I'll move onto an 'ocean' game, but so far I feel comfortable where I am....ok maybe I let that metaphor flow a little too far (lol).

Again, if you still enjoy PWI and have fun, by all means stay and play. I just want my position on why I no longer play to be clearly understood. Why I want this I'm not entirely sure. Maybe I just want to provide the encouragement someone out there is looking for that there are valid alternatives to PWI, and that you don't necessarily need to lose your friends by switching games. I still miss PWI and the people, but again, the games I play now more than keep my mind off what I've left behind, and keep it focused on all the things I've gained.

Laters!
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
    youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    This VIDEO is SO what is happening to pwi atm.

If pwi doesn't right this ship and soon, they WILL continue to lose the 'lowbies'/weak/cheap ones and their 'whales' are so going to be looking for a new game to play.

Extra Credit video FTW!
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver
    Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Kudos for Kalo being on top of the food chain. regardless of cashin or not.

I agree with the word "VAST" cause it is. Rebirth kept ppl from getting too far ahead but being able to purchase a chance at S cards killed that.

But i have been around long enough to seen power rise and fall, we had the Tialong era if i spelled that right, the Ajay, Poetic, Zeus,Fey,Aeliah, and countless others and now the Kalo.
    It only a matter of time befor its someone else.

Wont be me however im the 98% as Aeliah stated QQ i cant keep up i cant reach the top but i will keep learning and one day be good with what i got.
    To think your OP is Fail, To know your role is OP
    Team work is Flawless,
    To think your better then the rest is shabby.

Blademaster - Celestial Demon
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Taking the game too seriously: the thread.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • DATALEC - Dreamweaver
    DATALEC - Dreamweaver Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    well the game does have to keep changing if pwi wants to make money after all once you get to r9rr+12 all josd you have nothing to spend coin on or use cash on so ya pwi going to create something for you to spend on.
    I do think that cards make a big difference since a seeker with the same gear except for neuma portal set is able to be killed while the seeker with the portal set takes almost no damage at all......but if they want to spend all there cash to have really short fights or have people rather leave the area than try and fight them its upto them.

Defence charms shouldnt be able to be used if your r9+ bad enough not doing much damage but then people using auto pots to spam defence charms too is ***** up.Geting rid of those would help balance things out.I also only do dailys and fsp then i log out rather than spending all day playing it since there is no point trying to farm more coins when gold is 4m.

Simple Solution to TW/NW and PVP would be to make is so if your in pk mode your cards/genies/defence charms and defence attack lvl are removed then youll have the class's skills to play with making everyone same attack and defence aka ZERO now imagine that lol theres alot of people with r9rr they all would have the same chance only difference would be on your refine level and use of the skills you have.
  • Slewdem - Dreamweaver
    Slewdem - Dreamweaver Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think them putting cards an spirit really messed up things.. The price to max level a S card is what?(500m) per card.. then what is the price you have to pay to actually getting a S card to much of a gamble.. me personally spent about 700m trying for S cards an never got any only S card i got is from trading the 10 A cards..

I think the S packs should be A-S because of the cost of getting the mats needed from botique at current gold prices is like about 32m if am not mistaken, to get 2 S packs.. Really sucks to be investing all that to get a B card atleast make it a A where it don't be bad. And people will atleast be able to have a better chance at getting a nice A set
    Bahamas represent
  • DionDagger - Dreamweaver
    DionDagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    well the game does have to keep changing if pwi wants to make money after all once you get to r9rr+12 all josd you have nothing to spend coin on or use cash on so ya pwi going to create something for you to spend on.
    I do think that cards make a big difference since a seeker with the same gear except for neuma portal set is able to be killed while the seeker with the portal set takes almost no damage at all......but if they want to spend all there cash to have really short fights or have people rather leave the area than try and fight them its upto them.

Defence charms shouldnt be able to be used if your r9+ bad enough not doing much damage but then people using auto pots to spam defence charms too is ***** up.Geting rid of those would help balance things out.I also only do dailys and fsp then i log out rather than spending all day playing it since there is no point trying to farm more coins when gold is 4m.

Simple Solution to TW/NW and PVP would be to make is so if your in pk mode your cards/genies/defence charms and defence attack lvl are removed then youll have the class's skills to play with making everyone same attack and defence aka ZERO now imagine that lol theres alot of people with r9rr they all would have the same chance only difference would be on your refine level and use of the skills you have.

Why do you think the new sin skills were seperated into multiple hits? Def charms make our damage pathetic.
  • tsyfall
    tsyfall Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am glad that you came to the same realization that many of us already have. It was fun playing with and against you in the brief moment that we gamed in the same place.

Best luck to you with your future of gaming.
    Best luck to you with your future life.
    Best luck to you in learning how to write posts instead of dissertations.
  • Leonaides - Dreamweaver
    Leonaides - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I realized this about a year ago.. lol
    way better games out there and im having a blast playing them while spending time wirth rl friends and family b:victoryb:thanks

miss talking to you guys though <3
    and pking as well lol

but it was just too broken and imbalanced b:surrender
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Come where I'm playing now lol easier gear, faster gameplay and more active pk (just shy of 10 mass-pk capable factions)
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Come where I'm playing now lol easier gear, faster gameplay and more active pk (just shy of 10 mass-pk capable factions)

No.b:cool
  • Bellicious - Dreamweaver
    Bellicious - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I completely agree with Aeliahs points. The gear gap is too big between what a free player can achieve when compared to what a visa champion can achieve is too big. The F2P model here is poorly constructed.
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Part of why I left a couple of years ago. I tried coming back twice, but realized that with the majority of my friends gone (or way past me in gear) and the huge power gap, it's not worth the time, and since I don't have the cash to just catch myself up, I just left it alone. It's a shame because I did love this game but once I realized that it would take me a very long time as a F2Player to even be able to TW without being a 1-2 shot, it was the for the best.

I'm at the same place Walpurga is now. The PvP is actually doable over there.
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • CreamDrinker - Dreamweaver
    CreamDrinker - Dreamweaver Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Originally posted as a response to a TW video by Kalopsia, and posted here for duplicity.

"While the defense Tempest displayed was a good allocation of manpower, it is the manpower that is really saddening to see. The difference between 'near' endgame and 'endgame' is just too massive imo. The ridiculous gear imbalance seen here is why I really don't play much anymore. Throughout the video Kalopsia 1-2 shots many 'near' endgame characters with startling ease. I don't remember seeing # imbalance this big even when FayHumming had r9rr in TWs where most ppl were still in g16.

There are so many other games out there, MMORPGS included, that give one a chance to be competitive without spending a fortune in time or real money. Now I'm aware that this has always been the way PWI was, but at the very least, there used to be more opportunities for many people to occupy the top-tier bracket. Now though, the *cost* to enter the top-tier bracket has moved from merely 'somewhat difficult' to 'close to impossible without mortgaging the house/selling your soul to the devil'.

I was a merchanter of this game. In about 2-3 years of daily playing, I farmed and merchanted my way into the nearly-best gear available. I estimate that for me to go from my 'near' endgame gear to the 'true' endgame gear available today with a full set of S cards double-leveled would take at least 3 more years, if not more, of that same daily merchanting/farming grind.

And that would be with all of the resources and knowledge I have at my disposal. For the average player looking for some entertaining pvp, the dream of reaching a gear set where they could actually take on the likes of Kalopsia unassisted is a foolish pipe dream. The average player could spend a decade of play and never reach the gear set Kalopsia purchased in under a year.

It took time away from this game to see it, but PWI is a pay2win game in a truly horrible way. And it saddens me, because I really do like the pvp on this game. When people's gearsets are within, say, 25% difference in power, there can be competitive fights. The pve on this game was boring a long time ago, but the pvp always kept me coming back. Unfortunately, it is the few elite rich like Kalopsia *willing* to drop their real-life fortunes into this game that keeps prompting PWI to create items that grant the god-like power worth dropping a fortune on. By catering to the few, PWI continues to alienate the many.

When was the last time you remember meeting truly 'new' players in PWI? I certainly don't remember meeting any. The starter zones are perpetually empty. When was the last time you recommended PWI to a friend? I surely haven't in years. Though I feel myself almost beyond caring, I do still think PWI could reduce the power of the elite and increase accessibility to the endgame gear, thereby ensuring that more people can participate in fair and challenging pvp. I think they could do it, but I don't think they will---they lack the willpower, they lack the guts. It would take real courage on their part to move away from the tried-and-true method milking the rich to creating a gameplay where many players stand as equals.

I can't write the game off---many, many others have tried that, and they were wrong. The game, if not thriving, is still persisting. Like myself, many others probably recognize the truth of this game, but are loathe to leave behind all they worked on for so long. To those loyal players, I say that there is hope for you elsewhere. Dull the pain of leaving PWI by immersing yourself in a new project, and encourage your friends to go with you (heck I moved with friends from a now-gone game to PWI in the first place!) -WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY- and many others are all far, far superior options to PWI atm in almost every way. If you move with your friends, then you can keep that sense of community you've come to cherish while enjoying many new adventures together in more beautiful, more immersive, and more fair games.

I guess I can say it now, I'm leaving PWI. Oh, it may not be forever. I'm not going to limit my options like that. But for now I feel no pleasure in playing PWI, and so I will spend my time elsewhere. Currently I play -The drums- ---as a healer, no less!---and I'm enjoying myself immensely. I have thoughts of testing out -A potato- as well, but feel no rush to leave -The drums- atm. Whatever you decide, make sure you go somewhere where you can truly have FUN. As I once wrote long ago to some people in Dynasty (Wacky will remember), what point is there to a game if it stops being fun?

Good luck all.

Cheers."

I wonder, where was this sentiment when Dynasty was on top? #QQmore. b:shutup
    "With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion"-Steven Weinberg
  • deadli
    deadli Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options

Who are you to judge and make comments? Didn't you dessert your faction then when you come back to game you join whichever is on top?
    edited November 2014
    Options

Aeliah was one of the people that didn't want more cashers and OP people to join Dyna. He wanted them to join other factions so Dyna would have better TW's.

You don't understand him at all do you?
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I want to help CreamDrinker live up to their name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Aeliah was one of the people that didn't want more cashers and OP people to join Dyna. He wanted them to join other factions so Dyna would have better TW's.

Which explains why during a 3hr TW Dyna vs Relic he is pm'ing Val who was excited about the prospect of joining Dyna alomg with some others from Vex including her husband.

Oh wait logic failure. GG.

If he was against that and had influence within Dyna to be heard then Dyna would have never got so much stronger than Relic and there would have been no "OP" merger with Tempest.

When you're having back to back 3hr TWs why would you need to recruit people from other factions, unless you're saying Aeliah had no influence in Dyna and the leadership made the call to accept the people that tipped the scales.

It's all history now, plus Aeliahs quit, lets let bygones be bygones. TW is basically dead anyway since Dynasty aren't motivated enough to even try to defend their lands.
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • deadli
    deadli Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Which explains why during a 3hr TW Dyna vs Relic he is pm'ing Val who was excited about the prospect of joining Dyna alomg with some others from Vex including her husband.

Oh wait logic failure. GG.

If he was against that and had influence within Dyna to be heard then Dyna would have never got so much stronger than Relic and there would have been no "OP" merger with Tempest.

When you're having back to back 3hr TWs why would you need to recruit people from other factions, unless you're saying Aeliah had no influence in Dyna and the leadership made the call to accept the people that tipped the scales.

It's all history now, plus Aeliahs quit, lets let bygones be bygones. TW is basically dead anyway since Dynasty aren't motivated enough to even try to defend their lands.

yes because tempest and dynasty are the only TW factions left...
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lol TW is not dead
    Only because Tempest TW is dead lol doesnt mean its dead for rest of the guilds.
    For Dynasty, BootyCamp, Eq, Kindrid and some other lil factions still can have fun TWs ;)

Almost at end of the season u can notice that no1 is bidding. (Its happens all the seasons) Probably to save the money, let ppl farm and not use theirs charms. (save something for next season)

I see that Kindrid and Booty still want to have some fun.
    Dyna vs Booty i guess wont be for a while (my guess) but its ok /o/ cant wait next season ;) b:dirty

Tempest is just taking more lands. Idk if trying to get more money for next season or just to have more lands o.o dunno b:bye

deadli wrote: »
    sarcasm? b:chuckle (sorry im pretty bad at noticing it)
    edited November 2014
    Options

20 vs 20 pk fest doesn't count as a TW, name two factions on the server that can even pull a 60 vs 60
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Who are you to judge and make comments? Didn't you dessert your faction then when you come back to game you join whichever is on top?

An ad hominem attack? Oh wonderful you must really know your chet. Not that it's any of your business but I left the game to get my life back in order and joined the faction all my friends merged to. That's not something I'm ashamed of. Funny though you would say that, I've only ever been in 3 factions.

Not to mention that the whole time I was gone I still had officer rights on the Relic website. And my toon was never removed from Relic. Also the leadership knew what was going on.

Next time you want to invent a lie about someone make sure it's not so easily debunked. And at least of the balls to have your mains name attached to it.
    "With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion"-Steven Weinberg
    edited November 2014
    Options

I understand him just fine, I just don't respect him at all. There's a difference.
This discussion has been closed.