cleric tank

elijahskorup
elijahskorup Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Cleric
for elemental focused dungeons, im curious has anyone made a successful tank cleric focused around this, is there a way to be effective enough to tank while being enough to keep people alive and also maintaining aggro? or is cleric tank for elemental dungeons just a no go
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by elijahskorup on

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Happened all the time in the past. Clerics can tank rather well against... quite a lot provided they're skilled enough to do so and aren't undergeared.

Keeping aggro, on the other hand, becomes a pain. If you're the only source of heals in the squad, you have to juggle between keeping yourself alive and doing damage, which is something most players nowadays won't care about while they go all-out and take aggro eventually. Fortunately, you can always choose to just let them die and res them near the end if they don't listen about aggro.

That said, this only applies to early instances. Late game, you don't have a chance at aggro even with people holding back unless you outgear everyone and are basically soloing things for them.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm sure there are some clerics around capable of doing so, i'm not really sure why anyone would want to though if you're in a squad.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • elijahskorup
    elijahskorup Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thank you, me and my friends were just wondering if it was viable since i have the most ele resist currently at all times, i could get them to hold back but i think the veno just needs to work more on the ele resist focused pet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some bosses are easier to rangetank - Damned Gaurnob is a good example (but not Polearm since he tends to favor going melee). Using a cleric to tank in this fashion can work well, but it's still generally a better idea to let a party member handle the tanking and heal that person instead. That way you don't need to worry about aggro loss.

That said, a cler with primal Cyclone can dish out a -lot- of damage...
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • anaovt1
    anaovt1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Clerics make a great tank for bh59 (Disaster). As does any arcane class, really.

But the main issue, as has been mentioned, is keeping agro. Even with G16 weapons, other mag DDs will take agro from you and they can probably tank just as well with cleric heals on them.
    Camlyra-Raging Tides. Since the avatar is broken.

Cleric 103/103/102
    Seeker 102/102/101
    Wizard 101/101/101
    Psychic 102/99
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Some bosses are easier to rangetank - Damned Gaurnob is a good example (but not Polearm since he tends to favor going melee). Using a cleric to tank in this fashion can work well, but it's still generally a better idea to let a party member handle the tanking and heal that person instead. That way you don't need to worry about aggro loss.

That said, a cler with primal Cyclone can dish out a -lot- of damage...

I agree with what you're saying but not the example. Range tanking Nob makes it AoE spam which is kinda bad for the rest of the squad. A better example would probably be something like the bosses in 59 or how Calcid in 39 will do nothing but use an easily purified DoT when range tanked while it actually deals decent damage (for that level range) when fought at melee range.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Better example is Volcanic Ambassador. Fairly easy to range tank, (never goes melee) but its AOE pdef debuff plus hard melee hits can destroy a melee tank, especially if the healer has to spend a lot of attention on staying alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Restorz - Dreamweaver
    Restorz - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im 2nd rebirth with full R9RR +12 NW Ornaments +12 and Full Deity, minus the helm. I have around 45k mag atk in UVD and 183 atk lvls. Holding aggro is pretty easy with no cooldown cyclone, from BH bosses to FSP, taking is pretty easy on a cleric if you have the gear and skills and know what you're doing.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    All the AA classes can tank magic dmg pretty well.

Most of them can also do the dmg to keep some agro. I think it is a better idea to let the magic DDs like wizzies do the tanking than the cleric.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Zaccy - Raging Tide
    Zaccy - Raging Tide Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Many times have I taken aggro in FS and kept the healing going with just simple T3. Clerics are very underrated DD and people assume too much about a wizard or psychic being more magic DD.
  • DionDagger - Dreamweaver
    DionDagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Im 2nd rebirth with full R9RR +12 NW Ornaments +12 and Full Deity, minus the helm. I have around 45k mag atk in UVD and 183 atk lvls. Holding aggro is pretty easy with no cooldown cyclone, from BH bosses to FSP, taking is pretty easy on a cleric if you have the gear and skills and know what you're doing.

That's what allows you to hold aggro, not the fact you are a cleric.
  • Ridelia - Morai
    Ridelia - Morai Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm not a cleric but a R8r mystic and I quite often do that. Recently I got reborn and was repeatedly tanking bh69 twins while keeping team and myself alive. I can also do it in WS metal if there is no decent tank around. But thats a hard job. I must watch my aggro so I don't loose it while casting petals on myself and team heal once in a while. It was especially hard in a bh69 run I had recently. You know, some people go there really outgeared. I not only had to watch agrro and heal team but also ress buff a noob that refused getting away of boss despite being 1 hit by its aoe...
  • freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Clerics are good at tanking , but can't hold aggro very well I think, unless a cleric is built for DD with deity or outgears the other classes in a squad.

Even with ultra violet dance and no cd great cyclone, I think clerics still fall short compared to other DD classes in dps/dph to either mobs or players.
  • catgirl33
    catgirl33 Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's what allows you to hold aggro, not the fact you are a cleric.

Gear is one of the factors, class is another.
    My single dps surpass deity psychics like allon, sicko, anju.
    -Tideswell-
    ~Yuuniee (Cleric)
    ~iRaining (Duskblade)
    ~MelodyLove (Assassin)