is a bm worth it?

hisoka4me
hisoka4me Posts: 20 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Blademaster
As the title says , i made awhile ago and is in mid 95s . i have all armors g16 from other toon along with g16 dual axes and astral ballad. g16 fists it will be easy to get and i was planing for r8r pole. My question is if is actually worth it going on a bm. Yes i do enjoy playing it but i hear many people saying that bms barely got any damage in pvp against other classes. Is this true or bms actually can hurt people?
Post edited by hisoka4me on

Comments

• Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Blademasters have extremely weak damage in comparison to most other classes, if you want something that can kill quickly this is the wrong class. Blademasters have to lock an opponent down to secure kills, and if you aren't able to lock them down and force their genie you aren't going to get kills. You'll be able to get kills, sure, but if they're equal geared expect it to be a struggle.

Though Paralyze certainly helps b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They are the biggest support in game, (not in the sense that they heal xD) even more so than cleric these days. (If it weren't true we wouldn't have certain clerics soloing certain maps in nw.) They are a fun class IF you can actually close the distance/survive a little. (edit) It really is best to have support near you especially as a bm/while under-geared... they do rely on help quite a bit more so than any other class from what I can see.

You really should watch the videos by TheDan... which his channel can be found HERE (his videos are the best the bm class has to offer, sure it may have its mistakes, but you still get one hell of an idea of what a bm can do/will do in damn near end game gear.) His pvp guide is still damn accurate despite it's age.

After doing that if you don't like what you see then yea it's probably best you don't continue with the bm, but if you do, good luck with it, I hope you stick with it, there really aren't enough bms on the servers. (At least not on mine/imho.)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    edited September 2014
    They are the biggest support in game, (not in the sense that they heal xD) even more so than cleric these days. (If it weren't true we wouldn't have certain clerics soloing certain maps in nw.) They are a fun class IF you can actually close the distance/survive a little. (edit) It really is best to have support near you especially as a bm/while under-geared... they do rely on help quite a bit more so than any other class from what I can see.

You really should watch the videos by TheDan... which his channel can be found HERE (his videos are the best the bm class has to offer, sure it may have its mistakes, but you still get one hell of an idea of what a bm can do/will do in damn near end game gear.) His pvp guide is still damn accurate despite it's age.

After doing that if you don't like what you see then yea it's probably best you don't continue with the bm, but if you do, good luck with it, I hope you stick with it, there really aren't enough bms on the servers. (At least not on mine/imho.)

I see how it is, I'm not worth mentioning huh? Whatever!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    I see how it is, I'm not worth mentioning huh? Whatever!

:$ *hides*

Zanryu is a very strong example (right up there with TheDan) of what bms are capable off as well. (Not many are a good example... if they are a good example... you hardly see videos of them like TheDan's/Zanryu... (where are your videos at anyways? b:avoid)

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Rawynn - Archosaur
    Rawynn - Archosaur Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A Bm is a class that is one you have to "love to play" or it can be annoying pvp wise. pve however, it's still a great class to play, sooo many skill in our arsenal; stun, silence, seal, cause crit, reduce damage, reduce def., knock back, real in, leap to and attack target make target bleed, take fire damage.

I guess when it comes down to it,...is it a class you enjoy playing, if so then go for it, if not then well...there are other classes to choose from
    [SIGPIC]SIGPIC]
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    A Bm is a class that is one you have to "love to play" or it can be annoying pvp wise. pve however, it's still a great class to play, sooo many skill in our arsenal; stun, silence, seal, cause crit, reduce damage, reduce def., knock back, real in, leap to and attack target make target bleed, take fire damage.

I guess when it comes down to it,...is it a class you enjoy playing, if so then go for it, if not then well...there are other classes to choose from

I absolutely loved playing it in pve... it wasn't until nw came around that I started 'hating' on the class, between the tab system, the gear gap, purify proc (thank goodness for the paralyze skill) etc... it was all just too much for me to enjoy it in nw. Though sure if you can get phenomenal gear/gear like TheDan's/Zanryu any other strong/good bm then pvp becomes much more easy to relax in/enjoy. (I am pretty sure quite a few 'old' bms would say the same, that they LOVED their bm before nw came around. (edit: Granted some... to quite a few still do, but yea it wasn't a lack of loving my bm that pushed me away from it, it was the constant uphill battle that bms face with not only struggling immensely to close gaps, but also our crappy ability to kill/go in alone, and still feel useful, even if we were getting one shotted left and right, well before those 'badass'/plethora of stuns even came into play. Smack ftw though xD.... and when we were/are capable of closing distances people did usually immediately turn to bms and kill them... which is as they should do.)

I have always defended it's play for pve, but pvp... yea... its not all sunshine and rainbows... which obviously is true for all classes, but bm do have to put up with the most **** in order to attack/be useful in mass pvp. (They ARE the hardest class to play/enjoy in mass pvp.)

• Zanryu - Lothranis
    edited September 2014
    :$ *hides*

Zanryu is a very strong example (right up there with TheDan) of what bms are capable off as well. (Not many are a good example... if they are a good example... you hardly see videos of them like TheDan's/Zanryu... (where are your videos at anyways? b:avoid)

Right here man.

You're still a jerk. I hate you. Go die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    Right here man.

You're still a jerk. I hate you. Go die.

Ok find me a hole.... oh wait nevermind I have one to myself already. b:avoid No haters allowed though so no zanryu.

Rawr

---

In seriousness though thanks for the link... noticed there were several other videos about bm play in Nigoshi's stickied thread. Lots of examples ftw. :)

• Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver
    Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hell yeah if u got the feel for it . I loved my bm before and after NW, primals make me love it more. The weapon switching the vast amount of skills to use in certain situations, gear switching is all fun for me. Crowd control is the key play yes but bms have they shine too.

ofc if ur G16 T3 Nirvy low to mid refines and gonna go up againts a r93st caster expect to be 1 shotted aint no fun in it. But u can still be usefull in mass pk with same situation. Stun +HF+Paralyze, other dds will do the work. U done gave them a 6-12 (give if they badged or not) / (13.5 if Demon) with damage amp for 6-9 sec inbetween alltogether. Bms is the "skillful" class once u honed with that class its fun as hell regardless pvp or pve.

I have been facerolled, i have beaten better geared, ieven have my off fail days, it depends on the gear gap and whos playing the class.

for the mass amount of ppl that gave up playing their bms due to NW prolly expected too much of their class.

A Bm is not a nuker its secondary tank. Going up against equal gear ur not gonna stand back and pew pew ur not gonna aoe and expect ur target to fall ur not gonna hit a 3 skill macro and expect to win.

your A Blademaster, your gonna work ur opponent with the proper weapon set, ur gonna utilize ur skills ur gonna utitlize ur leaps ur buffs, ur controlling, ur amps, lock them down in stuns and debuff and chop them down survive, need to go for that kill in dire moments set them up so u can use the proper finisher. Need to buy urself time Stun need more chi Stun again then use the proper skill to gain chi. Ur genie is to assist u, as a bm set up the proper skills on it to help u. We can drain chi we can drop evasion we can drop accuracy, channeling, defence magical or phyical , we can drop attacks we can cancel we can stun we can immobilize we can gain crit % several ways, we boost our mag def , we can boost our phy def up pass the 100ks if we want we can heal we can cause slow movement. We are rawr phyical power and if needed we can have some fire elemental damage .

master all the above then you as a bm will have ur shine, If u like the abiity to do all these and think they fun then u pick the class for u.
    To think your OP is Fail, To know your role is OP
    Team work is Flawless,
    To think your better then the rest is shabby.

Blademaster - Celestial Demon
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    Hell yeah if u got the feel for it . I loved my bm before and after NW, primals make me love it more. The weapon switching the vast amount of skills to use in certain situations, gear switching is all fun for me. Crowd control is the key play yes but bms have they shine too.

ofc if ur G16 T3 Nirvy low to mid refines and gonna go up againts a r93st caster expect to be 1 shotted aint no fun in it. But u can still be usefull in mass pk with same situation. Stun +HF+Paralyze, other dds will do the work. U done gave them a 6-12 (give if they badged or not) / (13.5 if Demon) with damage amp for 6-9 sec inbetween alltogether. Bms is the "skillful" class once u honed with that class its fun as hell regardless pvp or pve.

*snip here*

for the mass amount of ppl that gave up playing their bms due to NW prolly expected too much of their class.

*snip here*

There really is quite a bit of truth in all of what sel said, even in the bit I bolded, albeit to a lesser extent imho. (It's not like I expected to go in there and own everyone/expecting to never be one hitted, One thing I did expect was to die often, but not as often as I did/not with that amount of difficultly/feeling like i barely did anything to help... something else I expected was to be able to see my hard work actually mean something a little more than I felt it did. (There really is far too many things in this game that completely erases what a bm does, with the exception of the paralyze proc... which is why I underlined that one part. Between genies, apothecary, and the evil purify proc, and even the insane amount of chi a bm uses it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to even pull off the 'combo' in the first place.)

-Now if that is expecting too much of any class then yea i'm guilty of that. (I for one just know what it was like on other classes, and just how much more useful I felt on them compared to the bm specifically in NW, Tw a bms job was clear, precise, and much... easier... to pull off, as you know backup isn't far away, whereas NW you'd be lucky if your 'backup' even takes advantage of an hf/stun time.)-

I for one have felt for quite some time that the amount of difficultly a bm has at just closing the gaps, managing chi, and actually getting things to stick in these day just does not justify the difficultly level they have these days. (Now this of course doesn't mean they aren't useful, because when their stuns/hf etc do manage to remain on an opponent long enough, people get hurt badly... and I do mean BADLY... but it still isn't all that easy pulling of... especially with the plethora of things that well.. you know... b:avoid)

Obviously no class should have it stupidly easy, but they also shouldn't have to climb a freaking mountain (dealing with the **** load of damage that is being dealt to them before they get near. [sure they have leaps etc, but they all cost chi/most still allow the bm to still easily be killed before they reach their target) to feel as if they're being useful, and when one climbs that 'mountain' to find more stupid hurdles that have to be overcome (i.e purify proc/the plethora of genies/apos, etc.. not to mention making sure they have the chi to even use hf/stuns) it makes being on a class ridiculously hard to fathom for quite a few people. OBVIOUSLY not everyone feels this way, and the bms who have managed to stick through all of that bs, and have pretty damn good gear are absolute badasses. (To be fair all classes have their weaknesses, and their strength, but when a classes weakness FAR outshines their so called 'strength' that class can become insanely hard to enjoy pvping with.)

Still I advise ignoring my mindless dribble... watch the videos see for yourself, if you like what you see then by all means go for the bm class, I wish you/every other bms that has decided to stick through (if you remain on it of course) all of these hurdles that have been thrown at the class the best of luck.

EDIT: I highly suggest reading T H I S.

• Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver
    Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think well in my opinon to stick to playing BM is coming to terms with it. Both Bm that Sli mention got good sound advice, Theres other bms as well on the forums with Video too that helps.

It comes down to how u want to play this game and the style u got. I am Full r9 3rd cast with mid to high refines, If i could do it over again i would have went G16 gear max refines with r9 weapon and belt with consideration on what i do in this game. Cause r9 was easier over a year ago to obtain compared to now. Farming has become a drag now adays for me to really push further. Its only the good pvp fights that make me keep trying.

As far as pullin off some combos thats where Chi pots come in during a stun. everyone got they reason i cant assume what they all are , but basically yes there was time i was feeling like this bm getting too difficult to use in NW with almost everyone and they momma going r9 and ppl getting smarter with handling maps hell i was using PVE hammers lol. A friend conviced me to go r9 with his assistance i did so ofc yes i liked the change but it didnt put me up on Op mode, Gof was eye candy the belt did wonders. But then i finish obtaining all my Morai skills ..hmm started becoming tasty...then Primal came..and WOW renewed love for my Bm again.

Now a BM without a zerk weapon in pvp kickin chop suey is one i would call Op cause they not waiting on that zerk crit.b:victory

I know my role and i know my skills i have fun playing a BM. I tried seekers nah not for me i tried wiz they kinda fun too but need great motivation for that class. I feel they gonna get good attention in near future. I tried the Barb only like it in PVE dealing with pulls and being charmless. I have tried cleric and no not for me too much responsibility for me to handle i couldnt play that class or suffer conflict with every server i join lol. Cant play veno makes me question my man hood , psys other then teh Voodoos naw dont seem technical enough for me . Mystics clericin and pets not me cant do that. Archers and sins archers range pew pew na i like to get in a persons face, Sins other then tele and stealth not as fun to me.
    To think your OP is Fail, To know your role is OP
    Team work is Flawless,
    To think your better then the rest is shabby.

Blademaster - Celestial Demon
  • Viktorian - Archosaur
    Viktorian - Archosaur Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    idk why but i keep calling slivaf silvaf. hmmm

bm class is great to have, while we dont roll others in pvp, we are always wanted, and to some people we are needed, in pve squads. Being a good bm is more about instinct then any other class. All our weapons and skills, soo mny choices to choose from in any given situation, it takes instinct born over countless practicing, no not going out and hitting a test dummy a bunch of times till u got where the skill shines, but trial and error. Going into NW and finding out that when an enemy has x debuff or y buff, you use B skill. With Primal skills being released, it got easier to remember those combinations. Primal Spirit Chaser can be followed by Primal Farstrike. one combo ive seen used/used myself on pesky classes such as venos(both in g16 gear so no purify proc), with my drakes bash missed and on cd, roar
    ferocious leap, leaping back, farstrike, smack, tiger leap Drakes Bash, star smite.
    Granted that kind of thing cant be used on a char that has purify proc, but its an example of how the bm class is full of combos that can be used at certain times.
    if anyone is interested i lost that 1v1 5 minutes later b:laugh
    In red can be interchanged with Leap Back, Spirit Chaser, farstrike for the chance to hit a crit.
    Servers: Archosaur(PvE US West) and Harshlands (PvP US East)
    Chars: Viktorian(100 2Rb Celestial Demon BM) PurpleHealz (100 Celestial Sage Cleric) DagsAway (95 Assassin)
    [SIGPIC][/Sigpic]
  • Bezdna - Dreamweaver
    Bezdna - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you're asking whether it's worth it to stick with a BM, the answer is almost certainly going to be no. The main reason to play a BM is that you specifically WANT to play a BM over any other class.

This class is not easy to play, it is very expensive, and it requires considerably more time to be invested into it to be worth anything. Other classes will do higher damage, they will have better survivability, they will have cool abilities you don't have, and they can duplicate many of the abilities you do have. All of this for cheaper and less effort.

But the bottom line is that if you're a "BM at heart" none of those things will matter to you. You'll play a BM anyway because it's what feels right.

e_e Why do other class forums have discussions about stuff aside from PvP and we don't? Is that another thing to tack on to the "BM at heart" archetype? "Must want to kill people."
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2014
    If you're asking whether it's worth it to stick with a BM, the answer is almost certainly going to be no. The main reason to play a BM is that you specifically WANT to play a BM over any other class.

This class is not easy to play, it is very expensive, and it requires considerably more time to be invested into it to be worth anything. Other classes will do higher damage, they will have better survivability, they will have cool abilities you don't have, and they can duplicate many of the abilities you do have. All of this for cheaper and less effort.

But the bottom line is that if you're a "BM at heart" none of those things will matter to you. You'll play a BM anyway because it's what feels right.

e_e Why do other class forums have discussions about stuff aside from PvP and we don't? Is that another thing to tack on to the "BM at heart" archetype? "Must want to kill people."

That really pains me to hear... as I still feel as if though I am a 'bm at heart' I have quite literally refused to leave my bm behind, I absolutely loved it for pve, hell I didn't even mind it to an extent in TW, at least then there wasn't this pesky *** purify proc running around, and it was/still is easier to have assistance there over a place like nw.

Now with the purify proc/the huge gear gap it really is quite frustrating being on a bm in mass pvp.

--

Though again it isn't all bad, but it is rough/annoying/hard to enjoy etc.

• Zanryu - Lothranis
    edited September 2014
    That really pains me to hear... as I still feel as if though I am a 'bm at heart' I have quite literally refused to leave my bm behind, I absolutely loved it for pve, hell I didn't even mind it to an extent in TW, at least then there wasn't this pesky *** purify proc running around, and it was/still is easier to have assistance there over a place like nw.

Now with the purify proc/the huge gear gap it really is quite frustrating being on a bm in mass pvp.

--

Though again it isn't all bad, but it is rough/annoying/hard to enjoy etc.

And that's the whole reason it isn't worth it for most people, because they want easy mode. Why do you think we have all these Assassins and Seekers running around?

"BM at heart" is pretty accurate, if this isn't the kind of class you enjoy it just won't work out, and even if you do enjoy it there are times you'll be unsatisfied, but overall... even with the setbacks of the class, I love BM. It's the class I enjoy most, and I have no regrets about choosing it. Though that's only because, well, you know. I've played it for years and grew attached. The playstyle suits me.

If you aren't 100% confident that you truly enjoy the playstyle deep down, and I mean really enjoy it, don't roll BM. Seekers have double your damage output in PvP, Arcanes will be a pain to kill because of Purify Spell, fights against Archers and Assassins will be utter hell because of evasion, and fights against a Barb are extremely in their favor, especially now that they can spam Paralyze.

If you are 100% confident, then welcome to the club.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Indeed I think indeed it is a mentallity question. When starcraft was new, protoss was the ownage race. Terran was the underdog. All the nabs started playing protoss. Down the road, terran came out as the top race, not just because of balance changes, but because skill levels increased and terran was the race that benefitted more from being in the hands of a skillfull player. I have always and still kind of look down on the protoss players and terran players have my respect. They chose the underdog and they came out on top.

Are you the type to choose protoss or are you the type to play terran ?

Choosing BM is like choosing terran.

BMs are not weak, they require skill.
    And in PvE, they are imo the ownage race hands down. They have the versatility noone else has. (an APS barb gets close though)
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ask the same question in the general forum, and see how the opinion differs from the bm forum b:chuckle.

In the bm forum, people like to give reason, disagree with reason and logic, flame a bit, but they have valid points. The general forum you will get answers like "sins OP, uninstall game" "Wizards rule". A complete sentence is hard to make in a post there.

As for the original question, i usually like playing magic range classes in rpg games. First time i played a melee character, bm, i have loved it ever since. I didn't read the guides, i experimented in game, the amount of different skills is amazing. It is not easy, at low levels i had to meditate after each mob kill. I used a wooden sword until lvl 14, before i realised that the mob hp was not going down, pro bm at work b:laugh.

When i play other classes at lower levels, same mobs die in 2~4 shots, except barbs b:surrender.
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's true that BMs are a bit weak in the dps department. BUT... Once you land a HF or Glacial at something, the balance of things changes. BMs are also highly versatile. Marrow phys/magic allows you to boost defenses based on what you're planning to take on. BMs are extremely versatile - more so then any class in the game I'd say, given that they can cc, debuff, rush and tank (a little). But this versatility is also the downfall of the class - many players (myself included) aren't getting the full potential out of their toons.

It's also a VERY expensive class to play if you plan to use it fully, since you'll have to grab 4 different weapon types. And lugging all those weapons around kinda requires you to expand your inventory. There are rather few of them in the game anymore ever since sins were introduced. They're in high demand for BHs and FSP instances - easy to find a party.

On autocultivation due to lower dps the BM doesn't kill as fast as the sin, but with Annihilator of Souls as a weapon and Diamond Sutra in the attack routine, they can do charmless autocultivation very early on, and survive a lot more then sins. Easier to auto-levelup. Once you're lvl 100 or so the main weapon can become G16 fist or claw for autoculti... usually fist since BMs like more STR then DEX.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.