Status of Unannounced Changes: Intended or Not?

Options
Asterelle - Sanctuary
Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
This update has brought a few controversial unannounced changes and it would be nice if we could get some official word on whether these changes are intended or whether any is going to be reverted. As far as I know these are all configuration changes particular to our version of the game that can be changed without the PWCN devs being involved.

1) Earning time in all maps
It used be that players would only use Earning time in Primal world but now this feature is enabled for all maps. This is a feature that PWCN has had for a while now.

PROs:
- Puts a limit (8 hours?) on botting which should help reduce inflation.

CONs:
- Using up earning time totally breaks some instances like Flowsilver Palace.
- A player's own earning time is not exposed in the UI so it is hard to tell how much you have. PWCN has an earning time icon viewable in the top right that we don't have. (The earning time of squad mates is visible in the team menu.)

2) FCC Hypers are disabled
The last time this happened it was unintended and was reverted within a couple weeks.

PROs:
- Makes it harder to skip low level content.
- Reduces the number of endgame-level alts people will have in the future. Since alts = more money from BHs this lowers inflation.

CONs:
- Current players are being put at a disadvantage when compared to older players.
- Leveling off of botting is still easy enough to allow you to skip lowlevel content

3) In-game font is changed, only game font not chat font
The last time this happened it affected the game font and the chat font and was reverted within a couple weeks.

PROs:
- Can tell the difference between lower case l and capital I, making scamming harder
- Supports a few extra special characters like ☆

CONs:
- Serif fonts are ugly.

UPDATE #1: 8/26
Sorry for the late reply, I was still trying to figure out the issues as well. As for the chat tabs freezing, that is being looked into, same as the chat font.

As for the issue with Hypers not working in FC, that is apparently an intended change. I'm still not 100% because we haven't heard back from China, but from I've been told, it was intended to be this way.

I'm hoping to have more info. soon, so I'll post back as soon as I hear anything.
UPDATE #2: 8/26
As I said, I'm still trying to find out all the correct information. I'm just going off of what I've heard internally, not from China.

With that being said, the Hyper issue seems like a Sync error. Generally, the way it works now was supposed to be how it always worked, but because we usually get broken patches from China, somehow FC allowed Hypers when it was never intended to. We kept it, because most players wanted it, however it looks like they may have sent us another patch with this issue broken once again. That means it will more than likely be reverted, but we don't know exactly when, because we have to wait for a fix from China.

As for the limit on botting, that is intended as well. We never received it in the patch notes, nor were we made aware of the changes until well after, which is why you didn't see the change posted. I've already mentioned it to my PM, and he's going to talk to the developers when he can. For now though, the only information I have to go on is that it's an intended change.

UPDATE #3: 9/2
The font change has been reverted in v813
*The game font has been restored to its previous state.

UPDATE #4: 9/4
FC & Earning Limits

I know the changes were not listed in the patch notes, but the devs+team have decided to leave FC as is, and not change it back to allowing hypers.

As for Earning Limits, the UI is being made and will be implemented in the next patch or two. So along with FC, this change is staying as well.

I'm sure there is more, and I will update this thread if that is the case.
Continue discussion here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1712971
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
Post edited by Asterelle - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

The last time this happened it affected the game font and the chat font and was reverted within a couple weeks.

PROs:
    - Can tell the difference between lower case l and capital I, making scamming harder

CONs:
    - Serif fonts are ugly.

The font change actually makes me wonder if there's a font-caused latency issue for lower computers in PWI like there is in ****nogi. (partially censored title of another game I play, won't advertise to unplaying players but current players will know what it is) A common point there is that if serif fonts were used that there wouldn't be as much font related 'lag'.
    .... it's probably just because china uses a different font for their characters.

General font related commentary... it messes up my cleric's name, l\loru, who was named the way she is as to avoid some random whispers OTL

Also thank you for creating one of your beautiful threads, Asty. They're always formatted really well and you tend to get responses more than anyone else I've seen by staffies.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

CONs:
    - Serif fonts are ugly.

I disagree. :p But serif fonts in that size especially shouldn't bother us in game, yea.

And I'm curious, we really should have gotten a reply by now which of these things have been intentional ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • LostPoet - Dreamweaver
    LostPoet - Dreamweaver Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    This update has brought a few controversial unannounced changes and it would be nice if we could get some official word on whether these changes are intended or whether any is going to be reverted. As far as I know these are all configuration changes particular to our version of the game that can be changed without the PWCN devs being involved.

1) Earning time in all maps
    It used be that players would only use Earning time in Primal world but now this feature is enabled for all maps. This is a feature that PWCN has had for a while now.

PROs:
    - Puts a limit (8 hours?) on botting which should help reduce inflation.

CONs:
    - A player's own earning time is not exposed in the UI so it is hard to tell how much you have. PWCN has an earning time icon viewable in the top right that we don't have. (The earning time of squad mates is visible in the team menu.)

2) FCC Hypers are disabled
    The last time this happened it was unintended and was reverted within a couple weeks.

PROs:
    - Makes it harder to skip low level content.
    - Reduces the number of endgame-level alts people will have in the future. Since alts = more money from BHs this lowers inflation.

CONs:
    - Current players are being put at a disadvantage when compared to older players.
    - Leveling off of botting is still easy enough to allow you to skip lowlevel content

PROs:
    - Supports a few extra special characters like ☆

CONs:
    - Serif fonts are ugly.

1) yea. I'd like atleast the interface to show how much time is left.
    downside of inflation, is that it has already happened. they need to do something to cut coin value.

2) this FC thing sucks. especially since now I can do dailies faster, I want to finish leveling alts with all my spare time. Also, this hurts all the newer players more than the veterans; now. more than ever since they added rebirth.

3) ya, people used I and L and stuff and their names look wierd. atleast I can tell how to spell their name though. lol.
    YOUTUBE:
    youtube.com/user/lostpoetgaming

twitch LIVE STREAM + MORE VIDEOS:
    twitch.tv/thelostpoet/profile
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I agree with everything 100% especially the earning time thing. I've been in a few squads already where we would just be running the instance and then some red text warning about 'x' players earning time being almost out and they were just like...'oh'... Being able to see how much time we have left would be nice.

Also my font hasn't changed ._. everything still looks the same to me for some odd reason. Same thing when it happened before, mine stayed the same. I never changed any settings or anything ever. I don't get it, I wanna see what said ugly font looks like ingame lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Summoning Phantom Messenger Sparkiesoft...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Summoning Phantom Messenger Sparkiesoft...
    ....the perspective of Celestia's face, and the implication that her horn would be sticking directly out from her head instead of up via the drawn angle, is really weird in that picture. OTL
    I don't even...
    Alicorn skull anatomy. Shouldn't be a thing. Why am I talking about this aksndg
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Verenor - Morai
    Verenor - Morai Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

FSP would only stop dropping books. As long as the person doing the axes has Earning Time the instance can still be completed.

Imo all such instances however should be free of any Earning Time penalties (FSP, FWS, AEU, UCH, any instance that is generally done with more than 4 people but SoT/Aba as well) and limit Earning Time to only Primal, Morai, Lothranis, Momaganon, Main worldmap and perhaps TT.
    I see no reason to stop the farmers that run SoT/Aba for buffspirits, or for Weekly squads to be out of a way to obtain random SoD/SoA's.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Personally, I'm pretty shocked that we haven't gotten ANY kind of a response from Sparkie, or even one of the other admins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It really would be nice to have a comprehensive list of INTENDED changes.

I realize that isn't always plausible, and it may even create some immediate uproar about some of the changes, but it would be nice to know if we're more or less complaining for no reason at all.,. perhaps if we got a statement saying "this" was changed, and it is here to stay, people would either calm down and accept it, or leave. (DO NOT get me wrong I understand why people are upset about it, but I am sure more than a few really would like to know if some of these changes are here to stay so that they can decide their next move, WHATEVER that may be... including... but not limited too... writing a final rant about it on the forums/wherever.)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Liveena - Heavens Tear
    Liveena - Heavens Tear Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Personally, I'm pretty shocked that we haven't gotten ANY kind of a response from Sparkie, or even one of the other admins.

Maybe one of the mod can make a sticky about known bug/unlisted changes after the update.

Lack of response from admin worries me if these changes are permanent or they are busy negotiating with wanmei.
    Heaven Tear

Liveena 102/102/102 Demon Cleric
    Milfeena 103/102 Demon BM
    Silpheena 104/103/102 Sage R9S3 Seeker
    Cieleena 101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    UCH has also had a change. In the wind realm, if you're attacking the dragons, unless both dragons are aggro'd they will both despawn. Tends to trip squads up - one character has to hold the second dragon while the squad axes the first one (any character with selfhealing ability can do that with ease though).
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Temeilion - Harshlands
    Temeilion - Harshlands Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sparkie will not respond..because Sparkie has no clue if these changes were intended or not..

Im sure the moment he knows one way or the other, he will speak up.

Till then all we can do is speculate, lets try not to make this any harder than it needs to be

This has always been SOP for PWI..the difference as of late has been nothing more than Sparkie.

Give him the time needed to get the correct information..no matter how frustrated we may be.

Happy Hunting
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hypers can stay out of FC, that way ppl can't easily create and lvl new alts. They would need to lvl them all the hard way and we all know that lazy botfarmers are way too lazy for that.

Earning time is a great thing. Just sucks in instances.

The update alrdy had a huge impact on the botting issue in general. Have been constantly checking all bot-crowded areas since the update and guess what? You barely see anyone botting most of the times. No one that is twice on the same spot in a time range of ~5 hours.

Open world earning time should even be lowered to 4 hours and instances should be protected from it in general. Now keep FC hyperless and we are on the way to make this game great again.

PPL that will quit out of thise seemed to be lazy to begin with and want stuff the easy way. We don't need such ppl and they can go away cuz they are contributing nothing to the economy, society and are only leeching on us. Get lost, lazy ppl.

I can still lvl a random twink to 100 in under 7 days with ~8 hours a day. And thats an overestimation. No one needs fc. PPL should just start thinking outside the box.

still...4h are sufficient for open world earnings =P
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sparkie will not respond..because Sparkie has no clue if these changes were intended or not..

Im sure the moment he knows one way or the other, he will speak up.

Till then all we can do is speculate, lets try not to make this any harder than it needs to be

This has always been SOP for PWI..the difference as of late has been nothing more than Sparkie.

Give him the time needed to get the correct information..no matter how frustrated we may be.

Happy Hunting

Whether Sparkie has a clue or not doesn't change the fact that he should have posted that he's at least aware of it and investigating further. There's been zero GM/CM/Admin response since the update last week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Whether Sparkie has a clue or not doesn't change the fact that he should have posted that he's at least aware of it and investigating further. There's been zero GM/CM/Admin response since the update last week.

Sparkie at first promised that he will give his all to at least give us a heads up that he is aware of the ungoing problems, even if he can't solve them or don't have any further Info.

So...a bit disappointing..ya...but we don't know if he is even in office atm...maybe he is sick and his replacement doesn't know anything or simply doesn't care. He is just a human being like we all are.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sparkie at first promised that he will give his all to at least give us a heads up that he is aware of the ungoing problems, even if he can't solve them or don't have any further Info.

So...a bit disappointing..ya...but we don't know if he is even in office atm...maybe he is sick and his replacement doesn't know anything or simply doesn't care. He is just a human being like we all are.

I'm leaning more towards the "PWE doesn't give a rat's *** about PWI anymore" boat.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • ZentDreigon - Raging Tide
    ZentDreigon - Raging Tide Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hypers can stay out of FC, that way ppl can't easily create and lvl new alts. They would need to lvl them all the hard way and we all know that lazy botfarmers are way too lazy for that.
    Though I think it's great to have no hypers in FC, it it required so people level fast and need engame gear earlier. This means money in the company pocket so most likely will be returned to "normal".

Earning time is a great thing. Just sucks in instances.
    I've seen people getting kicked from squad because of this. So far I haven't seen any drama about it though.

About Sparkie. I recall him saying he'd be buzy around this time. Guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But, as our main contact, he could give us some light in all this darkness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    > A demon is driven by desire, pure desire, that cannot be stopped by reason or logic. - Mo Zun
    > Believing in demons doesn't mean believing in evil. Demons are not necessarily an evil thing. - Chin Wuming
  • freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Is earning time only applied to drops or exp as well ?

When is it counted as earning time, everytime we engage in battle with mobs ?
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2014
    Options
    About Sparkie. I recall him saying he'd be buzy around this time. Guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But, as our main contact, he could give us some light in all this darkness.

That had so much terrible pun potential, and you blew it.
    "He could give us a... spark of light in all this darkness"
    "He could... light a spark in this darkness"
    "He could... spark our hearts with knowledge"
    "He could be the spark against PWI's incompetence"
    or if you went with the other part of his name...
    "He could soften up some of these blows by letting us know what's going on"
    SO MANY PUNS

--puns aside. I'm waiting for something to show up, too. I don't care too much about how 'busy 'e is' when it comes to making a 5 second thread, (Yo. I'm asking about this. Calm 'yo titties.) but I'm enjoying the ride too much to complain or be impatient.
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You missed out

4) game got ****!

Time to quit! See y'all... Never :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • obsceneyouare
    obsceneyouare Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Anyone who has been playing for awhile knows the 2 things they always break with major updates is

1 the typeface
    2 hyperz in frost
    3 chats glitch
    4 ALWAYS glitchy in instances till first update after
  • sparkiesoft
    sparkiesoft Posts: 47
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, I was still trying to figure out the issues as well. As for the chat tabs freezing, that is being looked into, same as the chat font.

As for the issue with Hypers not working in FC, that is apparently an intended change. I'm still not 100% because we haven't heard back from China, but from I've been told, it was intended to be this way.

I'm hoping to have more info. soon, so I'll post back as soon as I hear anything.
  • leknum
    leknum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    How come intended? how can something so relevant be changed wihtout warning to any player? where's the respect?
  • Keisari - Raging Tide
    Keisari - Raging Tide Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Gz RT, this means Kitty's going merching a LOT naow.b:bye

This just ruined Kitty's dreams of restoring her past power.b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kittysama - Raging Tide in APS-barb disguise, when avatars were bugged. Now posting again as Kittysama.
    Deleted old mains on Feb. 2014, back with every viable build covered, majority of them at or above non-rb 100.b:cute
    The Greatest APS-Panda on RT! 'Cause there's too much food in tables of Imperial palace.b:surrender
    Kitty's current average lvl ~94 b:shocked
  • Bloodstains - Dreamweaver
    Bloodstains - Dreamweaver Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    how does something so relevant not even make it to patchnotes, and what about the earning time? still no response to that. also 1-step closer to making alot more players leave the game. b:laughb:laughb:laugh

so happy i'm still around to see this ship go down.

--edit--
    Why don't you guys even realize that it's not hypering in FC that is the issue.. .JUST CLOSE THE FRONT DOORS AND LET LEVEL 85+/RB PLAYERS IN ONLY! You guys have no clue about the game you run.
  • leknum
    leknum Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    If it won't get fixed, 4 sure i'm leaving, to some game were i'm gonna be respected.
  • _Jibrille_ - Heavens Tear
    _Jibrille_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

A lot of us actually know that it was an intended change FOR CHINESE VERSION OF THE GAME. Which I'm sure slipped in to our version while update was being brought over, and the fix/change thing to let us still use hyper in our version wasn't applied to it.

So on what you said here, are you saying that the disable was intended to our version this time to stay, or are you just relaying message from someone in upper tier who's talking about what was "originally" intended before we asked for a change to keep ours hyper-able for our servers?
    Like others have said already, this happened on last big update we had so a lot are thinking it's the same occasion this time as well and the fix we want was not applied to the contents we received beforehand it went live on that maint day.

I guess we won't know till we hear back from China?

As much as I like hypering in FF for my baby alts that I make to have fun with once in awhile when I want to do something other than playing my main's class, I know a lot of people also hate it because of ignorant noobs or those who doesn't actually try to learn their class after plvls.
    But as for me I still kind of want it back b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fashionista wife of Sayphat b:cute
    New name is Shiirahoshi :3
  • TheMVP - Heavens Tear
    TheMVP - Heavens Tear Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

is earning time intended or not? we waited a week for answers and once again you dodged the question. Being the only person who represents the player base to the devs in china about an issue as important as this without any notification of the changes is highly irresponsible especially after a major update which always brings bugs and new issues. to take a week off then not give any answers is unacceptable by the player base. at this point you should consider stepping down and let someone who cares about the game and its player base and cares enough to do their job without dissappearing for a week after a major update. thats my opinion, i think its a fair one, you have done some positive things, such as monthly look a heads and weekly give a ways as well as events, but you also allowed nearly a year to go by without any fixes for the DQ points as well as dissappearing after major changes intended or not intended changes were made that highly affect the player base. My opinion whether people are for or against the 8 hour earning time cap, it should be done differntly and should at the very least been giving warning of doing so, and at the super very least give anaswer as to if its intened or not after an entire week. the player base deserves better than that, and you may not like my post Sparkie but if you take a objective view of it you know the player base deserves better than that
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

No more FC hypering, limited time botting. Sounds like PWI is trying to make PW an actual MMO again. Might be a little late for that, FC is like crack to so many, but I welcome the changes
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kithares - Harshlands
    Kithares - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

Firstly I'd like to point out that Development on our side needs to localize and find out what the patches and updates do before dishing it out to everyone. I know PWE has a notorious reputation for copy-paste from PWIC and they have a drastically different way to develop because of their player base...

On the other hand, China can do this because they have a lot more people and a solid amount of quests to make leveling in decent time. Take perhaps the lv60-70 quest patch that upgraded the rewards, and apply it to 71+, that Is, if you guys are keeping Frost City Unhyperable.

That'll cause more people to be interested in doing quests and maybe working as teams to complete it. Quests like Cow Hide Supplier that have exp/coin/spr based on the amount of mobs you kill in a time limit. Quests like that are worthwhile and very enticing.

b:chuckle
This discussion has been closed.