Demon or Sage Barb?

Options
knezleon
knezleon Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Barbarian
Well I thought a lot about this and I really wanted to hear other people's opinion.
Sage looks nice with the 35% armaggedon (Does it still do the 50% dmg?)
and the true form 40% hp bonus (I heard somewhere that the sage doesn't reduce the damage anymore but idk) I am now kinda heavy armor tank, so I thought if I go demon I will be some kind of a mix/hybrid but if i go sage I'm kinda like a full tank... What do you guys think, I really am not sure b:surrender Any kind of comment is appriciated!
Post edited by knezleon on

Comments

• Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    knezleon wrote: »
    Well I thought a lot about this and I really wanted to hear other people's opinion.
    Sage looks nice with the 35% armaggedon (Does it still do the 50% dmg?)
    and the true form 40% hp bonus (I heard somewhere that the sage doesn't reduce the damage anymore but idk) I am now kinda heavy armor tank, so I thought if I go demon I will be some kind of a mix/hybrid but if i go sage I'm kinda like a full tank... What do you guys think, I really am not sure b:surrender Any kind of comment is appriciated!

Atm don't have time for in-depth answer so I hope someone else will do it for me...

Yes Arma will do full dmg, however I consider sage'slesser cost useless since I always ToP with my Arma anyway and don't have to worry about charm ticks or dying.

As for true form, damage penalty was indeed removed.

However... Tanking is not only surviving, it is also being able to deal enough damage to keep aggro, and this is where demons outshine sages with their critrate adds. Keep in mind that averagely geared demon strenght barbarian can do all the same things in PVE a sage vit barb can - surviving against most pulls does not requie huge HP pool. I am personally fine with my 24k HP and really enjoy my strenght build, especially when tanking (can do it in human form in FSP by spamming skills) and in PvP, NW mostly.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    We actually have a while thread about demon vs sage. But maybe its biased as its called "why are demon barbs superior"

It really depends on what you want, what is your style and what point you intend to reach in the game.

Demons and sages usually have a different build and play style.
    Demons have a bunch of bonusses to critical strike chance. It is not so impressive to crit if your damage is mediocre at best anyway, so demons like to go max strength and no vit. This makes an offensive barb. The damage output of such a barb equals or surpasses the DD of the typical DD classes like sins, archers and psys. Meanwhile his defences are still much better than all those classes, but they have range and/or superior CC skills to balance that in pvp.

If you like to play defensive and have lots of hitpoints, sage probably fits the picture better. If you have 300 strength and 500 vit. What good are those crits anyway? 2x little is still not much. You want that bit extra HPs and defence that sages get. Combine that with all the defensive options you can rotate (invoke, dew star, solid shield) and you are nearly immortal.

Territory wars is the purpose of life for most of the best geared people. Barbs have a very important role in there by pulling the catapults that destroy the enemy base. This requires a defensive playsstyle as you need to minimize the chance of dying to maximize the effect of the catapult. The team needs vit sage barbs who are tough enough to withstand the damage of a dozen end game DDs attacking them. Unfortunately for my faction, my brain is not wired for that. I am a BM, not a barb :)

In other team PvP, i think the vit sage barb is less usefull since while the enemy team cannot easilly kill him, they can just pretty much ignore him in most situations. Although he is of course still the best flag carrier, but thats pretty insignificant.

In 1v1 PvP, i feel like demon strength works better because you can kill people much faster. You may be able to survive fewer hits, but an enemy that is dead wont be hitting you anymore so killing faster = taking fewer hits. When charms come into play, the sage barbs only chance of killing his enemies will be if they stand around waiting for an armageddon. On the other hand, the sage vit barb will also be near unkillable for any 1 single enemy. So more drawn out fights that might end in both parties just giving up on the endless charm ****. (that already happens quite regularly in HA vs HA fights even if there are no vit builds involved)

In PvE, i have not a shred of doubt that indeed the demon barb is far superior to the sage. There is simply nothing in the game that is strong enough te be a danger to the demons weaker defences and with nearly every hit being a crit (always use sunder or onslought before doing anything else) he makes short work of any mobs. Tanking as mentioned is surviving + keeping agro. In the very beginning your gear might be of such quality that you feel surviving is an issue to work on, but as soon as you have mid refined G16 (the standard that is worn by the vast majority of the players) surviving is easy no matter how you built your barb. Agro skills dont scale well with gear so you'll soon find them useless in comparison to pure damage output.

Dont look too much at the details like you mention. The health loss from armageddon is not even a factor at all. You will quickly learn to always have bloodpaint on you when doing PvE and it eliminates the health loss pretty much completely. (bp makes every AOE you cast between many mobs an instant full heal) Also many other differences are pretty minor. Its the total play style picture that you choose between. Sages are a little tougher, demons have a better damage output trough critical strike bonusses. These differences are greatly magnified if you fit your vit/str to your demon sage choise to make 2 totally different toons.
    Demon vit or sage strength barbs would be suboptimal and unlogical mixes imo.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • knezleon
    knezleon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks, I will probably go with sage, think it suits my playstyle more!
  • _Arias_ - Harshlands
    _Arias_ - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I know I havent played in like 10 months but sage has yet the aggro needed, demon barbs are nice no doubt that but sage can be more powerful than demons in so many ways. This is my own opinion that I have when I started to play...
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I know I havent played in like 10 months but sage has yet the aggro needed, demon barbs are nice no doubt that but sage can be more powerful than demons in so many ways. This is my own opinion that I have when I started to play...

Show me your sage barb that tanks Toad without aggro skills in human form with T3 axes and r9rr people in squad b:cute
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Roar_King - Sanctuary
    Roar_King - Sanctuary Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

No sense say sage is better or demon is better.
    Depend on your play style and what you want to do with your barb.

Sage full vit = better for cata barb and survive in massive pvp.
    Demon full vit = nice for cata barb and big armageddon.
    Demon full str = better for 1vs1

Btw to tank toad in human form with T3 axes maybe you have weak r999 in squad or they simply pay attention to not steal aggro. I do the same with r999 +12 and i have some problem with +12 sins and archers.
  • phreyyy
    phreyyy Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options

Sage full vit = better for cata barb and survive in massive pvp.
    Demon full vit = nice for cata barb and big armageddon.
    Demon full str = better for 1vs1

Sage pure str b:surrender
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Options
    phreyyy wrote: »
    Sage pure str b:surrender

Sage pure strength is the best thing to do while PvEing in anticapation of restatting to vit in the future when you are OP, bored of PvE and will do only TW catapulling b:pleased
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.