New Veno asking important questions.

Mahidevran - Archosaur
Mahidevran - Archosaur Posts: 121 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Venomancer
Hi everyone.

I recently made a Veno alt (she's 40 lvl currently) and I wanted to know which pets should I have. I already have Glacial Walker and Petite Sawfly, as they are the most recommended pets to use in tanking and dding, respectively. I also keep a Snow Hare in my pet bag because I really like bunnies b:chuckle

Unfortunately, I have only 3 slots in my pet bag, so I will revert Snow Hare back to his egg if you guys/gals advice me to pet something more important.

Oh and I want to know which skills to teach my GL and PS, I still keep their first skills when I first tamed them.

Thank you b:cute
Post edited by Mahidevran - Archosaur on

Comments

• Marengo - Lost City
    Marengo - Lost City Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If I were a new veno player who is slightly aquainted with the game, I'd jollyoldjone'd (or even csed if desperate xD) with main for maximal pet cage, inventory and bank in the first place. You will have to buy cage eventually, if you going to play veno seriously, not only as a supporting alt. Better to get it faster, be done with it and play with comfort.

As for skills, you can buy some attack skills to your liking or bleed (don't remember for sure if sawfly has it by default). Extra attack will never hurt. Skills which make really big difference (hp, pdef, mdef buffs, turtle, claw) are expensive and rare and you don't need to learn them on nonlegendary pets right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
    pw art ◊ tinyurl.com/q6ca7ar ◊
  • morenawolf
    morenawolf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hi fellow veno! b:cute Glacial Walker is almost a must-have for venos, it's the best tank you could ask for. Its starting skills are good, I usually teach him Flesh Ream to have a addittional damage and aggro skill to use.

The Petite Sawfly is also very good as DD as you said, but sadly flying pets cannot enter in istances :( it won't be useful when you will need Bounty Hnter and such. About skills, a good Bash is always nice and maybe I would add Tough, because its defences are very low compared to other DD pets.

If you will ever decide to take a ground pet as DD, I suggest you the Varicose Scorpion or the Dark Wanderer (its name before be tamed is Shadow Ranger). They're both wonderful! The scorpion is slower but hit very hard, and have great magic defense but low physic one. The Wanderer damage is a little lower, but hit and walk faster and have better physical defence instead of magic one. I personally rather the Wanderer because it can run to save me, but it's just personal taste :) Debuff skills like Howl and Pierce are very good with DD pets because they allow you to make even more damage, and Bash always help you to keep aggro.

I hope this is useful :) about fruit, you can farm it from mobs but it require a lot of time, if you have enough money (doing the Jolly Old Jones quest will give you a lot of coins!) I suggest you to buy them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Tempestosa - Stormbringer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • Mahidevran - Archosaur
    edited August 2014
    OK. So I joj'ed today and got my 4th slot b:victory

Unfortunately that cost me such a high price that I have to wait until tomorrow to update my pets' skills.

And I think collecting 100 fungus is a ridiculous and hopeless idea b:shutup

So I really want know where can I buy a cage (I know they sell it in the boutique but I don't have gold, so I'm not sure where can I find one, it will cost a small fortune)

Oh, and I have one more question. Where can I level my GW and PS? I heard of 4th room of Cube of Fate is a good option for levelling land pets. Not sure about flying pets or if I can do Cube of Fate all alone, I've never done it before.

Thank you b:chuckle
  • morenawolf
    edited August 2014
    Congratz on the 4th slot! b:victory you're right about fungus, considering the % of drop you should kill thousands of mobs to get 100 of them. O_O simply too much.

So if you want to buy a pet cage, all you have to do is check the market. Some catshops could sell them, or you could use teleacousics to ask in world chat if someone sell them. Or you could farm coins and buy golds by yourself, here's a guide.

The room 4 of Cube of Faith is the best place to lvl up pets because it's safe, but it can be tricky to reach because you have to throw the dice multiple times before reach it. There are some nice alternatives:

- Savage fields. THey're very close to Tellus City, a little north west. It's full of lvl 100 mobs with 100 hp so they're very easy to kill and your pet get the best exp from them. They are immune to elements so you have to hit them in fox form, make a nice combo with befudding myst, leech and consume spirit, and open the bot. It will be fine. Remember to deactivate the elemental skills of your pet too, right clicking on it.

- Sword Cemetery in Haunted path. Same mobs, same strategy. I personally like this one much more, because the mobs are all in a small area without aggressive mobs. If you set the bot to 50 meters it will be fine.

You can use them with flying pets too, just jump on your flyer and call your pet. I suggest you to set it on manual so it won't attack, because there's the risk for it to get stuck on the ground. It's a nasty glitch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For the walker, I'd recommend Threaten, and keeping it and Tough (which it comes with) maxed for its level.

You could also go with Howl (all-around useful, increases your damage as a caster, and the damage of your pet's elemental skills, like the Icicle the walker comes with) or Pierce (so the walker does more damage with physical attacks when you're spam-healing it, and can't cast Ironwood.)

Hate to break it to you, but the sawfly is not the best free DD pet. It is, however, the best free flying DD pet, and it's nice to have a flying pet when you have flying quests. For it I'd go with Howl without a doubt, then either another elemental attack if you want to maximize its DPS, or Flesh Ream (the Bleed skill Marengo mentioned) if you have any intention to PVP before you have a legendary pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Mahidevran - Archosaur
    edited August 2014
    Thank you, Mayfly!
    Oh, then what is the best DD land pet? (Dark Wanderer? Antelope?)
    I will consider your advices about pet skills!

Thanks, morenawolf!
    It seems like buying a cage will take a little bit time as I have to do more joj, but no hurry because I don't even know which pet I should put in my 4th slot b:chuckle

I'll level my GW in that second area you mentioned, thanks again.

Oh and one more question. Should I teach my pets elemental skills like fireball. I think these can be useful against some mobs. And what is the limit for pet skills? How many skills I can teach them?
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Dark Wanderer is a good choice. It has some decent defences, mostly in the physical department, and most bosses/mobs can be fought at melee range - at least early on - so that's an advantage for the pet; being a bit tankier than other DD pet choices available for you.
    He's also able to evolve at level 100 so he's a keeper.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • morenawolf
    edited August 2014
    I have a lvl 100 Dark Wanderer and believe me, it's amazing. I can't wait to evolve it! :D The antelope is a nice magic tank, but if you're interested to a pet with good magic defense then try the Frogling. It's the best (free) magic tank of the game.

Pets can have 4 skills, who become 6 + 1 special after the evolution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • bowgataboppa
    bowgataboppa Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Definitely get Flesh Ream for both pets, first thing.

You might as well invest in maxing your pet slots. It's one thing Veno's can do the is really fun and unique. It is fun to have a whole zoo of pets that can specialize for different tasks.

For your Petite Sawfly, the flying Staunch Worms west of the tideborn city are a great leveling source. Get your flyer, use auto-cultivate and fox form, go watch a good movie, rinse and repeat as needed.

You may also want to start saving for a mystical tome which besides buffing various stats, will keep your pets fed automatically.

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Mystical_Tome
  • Mahidevran - Archosaur
    edited August 2014
    Wow. I didn't know that mystical tomes keeps our pets all fed and well. But I'm sure tomes are pretty expensive :(

Now I have Glacial Walker, Petite Sawfly, Dark Wanderer and that monkey thing (Eldirgoth??). I will keep Eldirgoth until I can tame a cactopod that is close to my level.

I plan to tame a huggy hare when I reach level 65 but don't know if it's useful. They look cute, regardless b:cute

Oh and I don't know if it's a big deal but I soloed Qingzi (bh29) with my 38 level Glacial Walker and I was 46 at that moment. Later, I teached him Pierce and it was a little more easier to defeat Qingzi. I also teached Flesh Ream to my Sawfly and levelled her poison skill.
    I asked this before but got no answer so I will ask again, should I teach my pet elemental skills like fireball?

Really enjoying this class. The only problem is the pet slots but I hope to figure this out b:victory

Can we keep thread, so I can ask questions regarding venos?

Thank you all.
  • morenawolf
    edited August 2014
    I'm a bunny lover too, so I understand why you like hares so much :D it's a real shame they're so weak. But some cutie pets are always welcome in my pet bag.

Tomes usually go from 2.5 m and up, but you could find a special tome called Christmas tome, it usually cost 1 m. It only give +1% crit and it's not so useful for casters, but it's cheap.

Ah right, I forgot to asnwer to the elemental attacks b:chuckle they're exactly the same with bash, only elemental. There's no need to have more of one of them.

Feel free to ask anything you want, it's a pleasure to help. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • Mahidevran - Archosaur
    edited August 2014
    Yay! I got my Christmas Tome today and paid 1.3m. It was cheap and I'm really enjoying this. Thank youb:chuckle

I found a cage yesterday, but it was 6m b:shocked

I teached Pierce to GL and levelled up his Icicle. I teached Howl and Flesh Ream to my PS. Currently levelling my Dark Wanderer (he looks so cool).

Is windwalking piggy worth taming? I'm gonna pet a cactus because I need a puller and its evolution looks so good.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The Windwalking Piggy is tank oriented. Not sure if you'll really need an air tank for anything. Most air mobs should be manage-able unless you get too many on you. I had one and it was okay but its attack is very low. I was too lazy to get a proper air DD pet so I stuck with the Piggy...I'd recommend sticking to a Petite Sawfly.

There's probably a couple of bosses in the air that you might not be able to tank at-level but I'm sure you could get some help with them if you really need it.

There's another nice air DD but it can't evolve. There's several air pets you can tame at-level just for questing too but if you're not planning on getting any legendary pet you'll probably want to train an air pet. In this case I'd go with the Petite Sawfly. Just my opinion though.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As for best free DD land pet: below 101, it's a tossup between the dark wanderer and the level 2 scorpions.

Wanderer hits hard and fast, and will have the best DPS if no attack skills are used.

The scorpions hit harder but slower, and will have the best DPS if you load them up with bashes and cycle through them

Derjan's Ancient Hatchling (the dino pet from Morai you can tame at 101) will out-DPS both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As for best free DD land pet: below 101, it's a tossup between the dark wanderer and the level 2 scorpions.

Wanderer hits hard and fast, and will have the best DPS if no attack skills are used.

The scorpions hit harder but slower, and will have the best DPS if you load them up with bashes and cycle through them

Derjan's Ancient Hatchling (the dino pet from Morai you can tame at 101) will out-DPS both.
    +And both scorpion and wanderer are able to evolve at level 100, so that's not a deciding factour, which is really nice.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • morenawolf
    edited August 2014
    I really don't know which one I should use, piggy or sawfly :< the piggy is a rock but it hardly keep aggro because of the low damage, maybe I should try with different skills. Flesh ream + bash is my best aggro combo until now. The sawfly is more fragile but hit insanely hard, so the mobs go down very quickly.

And then, come on... a dumbo pig as pet? =_= a badass wasp have a better look. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • ca7elf
    ca7elf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Which pet works as a better tank? Glacial Walker or Shadou Bear?b:pleased
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ca7elf wrote: »
    Which pet works as a better tank? Glacial Walker or Shadou Bear?b:pleased

The glacial walker.

Edit: You can see all the stats of the pets on Ecatomb, but the site will be soon take down so if there's any stats you wanna see for the pets you should check now before the site become unavailable. I know the owner did put files that can be download so up to you if you want to get it for future references.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute