What is considered "taking the game too seriously"

Comments

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not to derail this topic, but I feel compelled to answer this...

Not everyone is going to have the same build.
    The reasons for going HA are for survivabilty. HA does refine for more hp than AA and LA. It also has vastly superior pdef. (The most frequent form of attack in the game.) Considering that a psy is a mage type character, their mdef isn't going to plummet horribly.

For similar reasons, toons go LA and vitality build.

Now, consider that a psy goes black voodoo, and uses jones. Their attack power is still going to go up. They're no longer as squishy thanks to the defense of their HA. Should they get in trouble, they can still go white voodoo, and have even more of a turtle effect.

The question is, is it better to be a glass cannon, or a steel turret. Not as strong as the cannon, but still powerful, yet more durable. Psy's have a plethora of AOE's...but its no point in AOE'ing if you die from what you attack. True, they can't kill as fast as a pure AA, or a vit build, but they've got the defense and hp to survive better. That's the tradeoff. Shard HA with citrines and sapphires, and they're a hard target. Factor in the soul skills that psys possess, and they're still an issue even in pvp....especially if they're refined well.

Also, with two rebirths and a good tome, you can get enough for G16 armor and sphere.

I'm a 101/101/101 cleric with a level 1 tome, and even I have over 600 pts in magic. (Can't log into the game to check, due to wifi issues, and I'm doing this through my phone. ) Plus I have 54 str. So it seems fully possible to get even better results with a good tome. Plus some necklaces, belts, and rings grant stats...so that's something HA/LA builds can use to reach the desired stats.

My point is that, though the build is unconventional...it is also effective. Its simply a different style of play. How effective that style....and ANY style is, is subjective and up to the user.

On topic: you take the game too seriously when you're a random person that sees my cleric passing by....you pm me that you love me and that I'm beautiful...and you get mad and accuse me of tricking you, when I pm you that I'm a man. You ragetype at me, saying that I tricked you, and want to know why Imade my character a female....

No one told you to fall in love with pixels. I made my character how I chose to, just as you did. If I didn't ask anything of you, i was literally flying/riding/running/swimming by. Not my fault if you're a pixel lover.

Oh, and when you try to follow me because Ihealed you once randomly...and you have natural elf wings....and I have dark negation....you've taken the game too seriously...and I'll fly/sprint and port away.

When you can't see the value in other builds (no offense to the forementioned), you've taken the game to seriously.

Last comment cause i already derailed thi stopic and I am sorry for that.

I understand the survivability thing. Im still working on my psy. Now she lvl 80 but I am thinking how to get her more psy defence. I think i will go like this http://pwcalc.com/65fe0e7fabb4ff01 instead of using HA armor. This way ill have enough psy defence and can kill faster. The hard work it will be to get 5 items at +12.Maybe untill december 31, year 2999 i will make itb:chuckle
    giphy.gif

• HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Last comment cause i already derailed thi stopic and I am sorry for that.

I understand the survivability thing. Im still working on my psy. Now she lvl 80 but I am thinking how to get her more psy defence. I think i will go like this http://pwcalc.com/65fe0e7fabb4ff01 instead of using HA armor. This way ill have enough psy defence and can kill faster. The hard work it will be to get 5 items at +12.Maybe untill december 31, year 2999 i will make itb:chuckle

Honestly, refining N3 gear high is a waste, pretty much period. Those refines, just go R9, difference is pretty much ridiculous. I went and got my archer his armors so still missing bow. Due all the bonuses and stats from armors, his low end attack is higher than his high end used to be if I am not mistaken. He did use sins aps set before and not N3 but N3 set doesnt have that much stat point addons/bonuses to really matter.

Also due cards, def passive and so on going all out for p.def like that is simply a waste. You dont need to invest that much. If You stick with N3 build, full incomparable garnet sharding, def passive maxed and A cards - I suspect you`d be more than happy with it.

Ps. As for HA build, due str and dex requirements you give massive dmg away due missing a lot of mag. You also give up damage for not being R9 and missing all the stats/bonuses said set gives. To me such builds are only viable at lower tier gear level.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • mntainr
    mntainr Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mia999 wrote: »
    jumping out of your bed in the morning with a back flip wondering why u hit the floor instead of flying to the bathroom on your fancy sword b:chuckle

*raises one hand up, then types* "atleast you landed on your feet" >_<
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Honestly, refining N3 gear high is a waste, pretty much period. Those refines, just go R9, difference is pretty much ridiculous. I went and got my archer his armors so still missing bow. Due all the bonuses and stats from armors, his low end attack is higher than his high end used to be if I am not mistaken. He did use sins aps set before and not N3 but N3 set doesnt have that much stat point addons/bonuses to really matter.

Also due cards, def passive and so on going all out for p.def like that is simply a waste. You dont need to invest that much. If You stick with N3 build, full incomparable garnet sharding, def passive maxed and A cards - I suspect you`d be more than happy with it.

Ps. As for HA build, due str and dex requirements you give massive dmg away due missing a lot of mag. You also give up damage for not being R9 and missing all the stats/bonuses said set gives. To me such builds are only viable at lower tier gear level.

What are you smoking?

T3 is about the same as original R9, maybe not as good for archers but for all intensive purposes in comparison to what else is out there it basically comes down to being the same.

Everyone knows that R9 was OP compared to aps.

Ergo T3 rolls aps.

The stat points provided from T3 are a lot better than aps.
    That why your r9 armour gives you so much better stats compared to old aps set.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Back on topic...taking the game to seriously are the main PvP crowd on RT and their world chats like any of us really care which moron is better in PvP.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Taking the game too seriously is when someone (who has no knowledge of your perfect world name) mentions your character name in real life, and you respond to it...or prepare to respond. Lol.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011&quot;

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Taking the game too seriously is when someone (who has no knowledge of your perfect world name) mentions your character name in real life, and you respond to it...or prepare to respond. Lol.

Good thing my toons' have unusual names b:shocked
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good thing my toons' have unusual names b:shocked

Good thing people would have a knot in their tongues before they managed to say mine. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Now that one is funny!

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Or when someone you know IRL that play the game call you by your in game name. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • mntainr
    mntainr Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Good thing people would have a knot in their tongues before they managed to say mine. b:chuckle

Xainouu. Ghost don't have tongues....b:shocked
    *Floats away* b:avoid
  • anaovt1
    anaovt1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, considering people call me by my in-game name on raidcall, I actually do respond to it now...
    b:surrender
    Camlyra-Raging Tides. Since the avatar is broken.

Cleric 103/103/102
    Seeker 102/102/101
    Wizard 101/101/101
    Psychic 102/99
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When you freak out if you miss an event. b:avoid
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Yajirushi - Raging Tide
    Yajirushi - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When you wonder how you could use Skills IRL.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You are *hilarious*. "Just go R9".

Riiiiight.

Send me your VISA card number and I'll get right on that.

\edit: now I finally see the sarcasm
    \\apply clue-bat to forehead
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • livingonlife
    livingonlife Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When you freak out if you miss an event. b:avoid

<.< Ok ok I'm guilty of this >.>. If I can do an event, I like to. If I know I'm going to be busy with something and miss it, I don't worry about it. But what drives me nutso is when I'm about to do an event and I get the oh-so-glorified lag. I actually missed an event once because I lagged; screen went blank, and then I had to wait for it to come back up and by the time it did, event was basically almost over XD. So yes, I freaked and griped about it but then told myself I could do it another time hopefully rofl. Don't judge me b:avoid
  • jwillson123
    jwillson123 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    b:chuckle When you tell your buddies in-game that you used your full tax return from last year to buy full R9 set. Even though you are currently unemployed and have a family to feed.
    Do you want PWI to fix the economy before is to late?
    please support Perfect World International Forum > Suggestion Box
    > Limit Auto Cultivation to 1 hour just like Hyper stones
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When you're sick, and you eat literal crab meat to recover your health.

When you go to the zoo, and see a white siberian/bengal tiger...and you loudly proclaim that its a barb.

When you see a fox crossing the road, and you call it a veno.

When you won't swim in the water for fear of assassins.

When you watch "The Little Mermaid", and call her Tideborn.

When someone is messing with your loved one, and you loudly "Roar" at no one in particular to build aggro.

When get into a fight, and you stand still at the start because you think you're triple sparking.

When you're in a thunderstorm, and you think that a cleric is using tempest.

When you see a picture of a knight, and you call him a blademaster.

When you play hide and seek, and you run behind a tree and spin in a circle.

When you search deep in the forest hoping to find a mystic.

When you call the psychic hotline hoping to learn new skills.

When you go to the doctor, and call him/her a cleric.

When you stand perfectly still in the middle of a parking lot holding a bow and arrow, and think that no one can see you, because you think you're in stealth.

When you watch a fistfight, and state how they need to build up their aps.

When you go to a store, and request to buy "Fists".

When you get in a vehicle, and call it a mount.

When you forget to buy gas for your real life car...because you have a tome in game.

When your pets die in real life because you fed them nothing but water, oil, and "perfect cookies."

When you read the story of Hercules, and imagine a "Herc".

When you hear about a cyclone in the news, and you cuss out clerics.

When you hear that someone got shot, and you think of a cleric's plume shot.

When you try to shadow jump through walls and knock yourself out for hours.

When you try to stealth through the *insert location*, and get curb-stomped because everyone can see you. (In which case you blame your stealth level for being too low, or cuss out anti-stealth pots.)

When you bring a knife (Dagger) to a swordfight/bow and arrow fight/axe fight/pike fight...and loudly claim that you have an advantage.

When you wonder why the mysterious old man around your neighborhood won't give you mirages when you talk to him.

When someone offers you potato "CHIPS", and you cuss them out.

When you step on a thorn and blame the plant's bramble.

When you get laryngitis, and claim that you've been silenced.

When you wonder why the music won't play when you go into different areas of town.

When you drown in a lake because you forgot that you can't hold your breath indefinitely.

When you oversleep for work/school/etc, and blame a cleric's chromatic seal.

When you're cutting down trees in your yard, and you try to HF them to make the job easier.

When you go to work/school and you call it a daily.

When you get mad that your teacher won't give you a ring for your perfect attendance the last 90 days.

When your class is talking about "Lunar Phases", and you're thinking about Lunar's different valleys.

When your class is talking about River "Undercurrent", and you're thinking you can fly down there.

When you need Psychological treatment because the word "Pole" scares you.

When you go to see your "Eye" Doctor, and you think "of The Krimson Beyond".

I may come up with some more later, if I feel like it. Lol.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011&quot;

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Jesya - Lost City
    Jesya - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When you call/text friends to log in the game just to win a PVP battle, WC battle or TW.

or calling/texting friends to come back to the game (who have been on hiatus) to "win" same as above.

That stuff runs rampant on LC. I find it so sad, but this stuff happens. b:shutup
    b:bye
  • comrox2
    comrox2 Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When you fall in love with another player (surprised no one else said this).
  • ZentDreigon - Raging Tide
    ZentDreigon - Raging Tide Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Lots of stuff.

That's not taking the game too seriously. That's just... sad.

Ok, off to work. Where's my Chronobike Key? b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    > A demon is driven by desire, pure desire, that cannot be stopped by reason or logic. - Mo Zun
    > Believing in demons doesn't mean believing in evil. Demons are not necessarily an evil thing. - Chin Wuming
  • nevitys
    nevitys Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, some people take games too seriously and get mad if something doesnt go right or whatsoever. I am myself just playing this game for fun and i am almost level 30 :o
    If you have tried playing League of Legends, there you find many many many players who take games too seriously and start to spam and rage in chat even if you do little mistake :D Sometimes i found it funny but mostly its getting annoying!
    So far this game community has been awesome to me and people have always helped me even if i ask ''nooby'' questions about basic levelling/skilling stuff :)

- Nevitys
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    comrox2 wrote: »

I know a few friends who have got married IRL and are happily together after this has happened b:shutup
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • AdagioSonata - Heavens Tear
    AdagioSonata - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I've done this before. Dated the person in real life too lol. Why not? At least you share the same interests XD. Just as long as you remember the character they play isn't exactly them. Now that would be sad if you met them and expected them to literally be the pixel you liked staring at rofl.
  • Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm guessing nobody said this because it has nothing to do with the game itself and happens far more than you know.
    I know people who have met in an MMO and then met IRL and are still together IRL. There's all kinds of cases of people being married, having a family and living happily after meeting in an MMO.
    Many relationships are forged in an MMO where you meet many like-minded people.
    Its not uncommon to make life-long friends, girlfriends/boyfriends, and many relationships that transcend the MMO they started in.
    This is akin to meeting people playing an organized sport or other group activity and developing relationships, where you begin to see these people outside of the activity and sometimes people become a couple after meeting there.

Developing these kind of relationships has nothing to do with taking the game seriously....unless its the NPC's you are falling in love with.
  • cautiousfighter
    cautiousfighter Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The reasons people take things too seriously in a game is a lot. But not only PWI in my experience. Probably the reasons might me:
    -Immature adults who spend a lot of money and too many hours in game
    -IRL problems to a limit they can't hide it so they rage always
    That's what I think why people take things too seriously, even if it's just a a game :/
  • jwillson123
    edited August 2014
    I knew guy who told me he went to work "in real life"
    To "FARM" I repeat "FARM!!!" his R9 set.
  • FaithDread - Heavens Tear
    FaithDread - Heavens Tear Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I knew guy who told me he went to work "in real life"
    To "FARM" I repeat "FARM!!!" his R9 set.

Farming an hour in rl > farming an hour in PWI.

The returns are much greater, plus going outside is nice once in a while b:chuckle
    Crafting shiny things since 2008 b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jwillson123
    edited August 2014
    guy 1 : Hey awesome gear you have there!
    guy 2 : thanks
    guy 1 : Hey how much you invested in your character.
    guy 2: Honestly I could have brought a new car with the ammount I pay but spend it on my toon instead.

guy 1: How much you spend? b:sad

guy 2: I cashed 30,000$ grand on my toon.

guy 1: WTF b:shocked

Only in PWIb:chuckle
  • mechabeastmc666
    mechabeastmc666 Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If someone spent two years of their actual Human lives to get gear. b:laugh