Most underrated Wizard skill?

Colum - Raging Tide
Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Wizard
I thought to make a thread for every class and ask you folks...

Which is the most underrated skill amongst your class? The kind of skill, that other players of your class dont really seem to appreciate, at least not most of them, but you've found a nice use for it.

You could also mention why you personally like this skill and why others do not favor it so much. Both PvE and PvP scenarios are welcomed.
Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
Post edited by Colum - Raging Tide on

Comments

• ZentDreigon - Raging Tide
    ZentDreigon - Raging Tide Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm gonna say Blinding Blaze. Haven't seen many wizard using it lately. Great skill to to keep runners/melees in check for some time. Think it might not be used often because the caster will freeze the target in disadvantageous range.

Also Ice Prison before AoE. Sure, the CD is huge and costs two damn sparks, but depending on the situation that 30% might make things faster. And along with Virtue...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    > A demon is driven by desire, pure desire, that cannot be stopped by reason or logic. - Mo Zun
    > Believing in demons doesn't mean believing in evil. Demons are not necessarily an evil thing. - Chin Wuming
  • Lolozaurus - Morai
    Lolozaurus - Morai Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Our lvl 100 skills are **** due to long cd on them.

Pro 100 skill does less dmg than basic pyro. How about that for **** given to us wizzies.
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    XXHotXx - Morai Posts: 1,246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    for underrated you mean that none uses, but it has a large utility?

mhh mhhhh mmmmm nope we dont have them anymore, it used to be our lvl 100 shield but now pretty much everyone uses it

we have plenty of overrated skills doe :)

@blinding blaze, why waste 1spark in a 2hit chance based and purifiable CC while you can use those sparks to actually try to kill your target, if the chi cost would've been no chi cost, the skill was worth
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

i58.tinypic.com/231jj8.jpg
  • Shadowvzss - Harshlands
    Shadowvzss - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    for underrated you mean that none uses, but it has a large utility?

mhh mhhhh mmmmm nope we dont have them anymore, it used to be our lvl 100 shield but now pretty much everyone uses it

we have plenty of overrated skills doe :)

@blinding blaze, why waste 1spark in a 2hit chance based and purifiable CC while you can use those sparks to actually try to kill your target, if the chi cost would've been no chi cost, the skill was worth

Arcane Defense with Elemental Shell kinda useless since primal :p

(and well near blinding blaze with alot other have few minor problem like cooldown,spark cost, effect weaker :D)
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    edited July 2014
    Arcane Defense with Elemental Shell kinda useless since primal :p

(and well near blinding blaze with alot other have few minor problem like cooldown,spark cost, effect weaker :D)

yup arcane defense now almost brings inconvenience while pvping,
    since sins can basically APS by spamming skills and they wont trigger it, only thing that could autoattack you and trigger Arcane Def is archer autoattacks,

but that would lead you to gap extend respect the archer and its well known how important it is to gap close archers and go in their close quarters, so yea: useless

lvl 100 shield is useless since we got passives, and the chance to purify is reaaaaally low...
    yea, just gives 15 chi when you press it, so its free chi xD

what is absurd is that we have **** skills like blinding blaze, 1 spark with chance to freeze your target with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th hit

while assassins have it 100% chance for no chi cost and 320% base damage added on Elimination

what were the devs thinking about when they decided to **** wizards up
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

• RSully - Heavens Tear
    RSully - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well I can't speak for the sage versions, but being demon I love that many of skills gain a chance to stun, freeze, seal.

I like what blinding blaze does, I don't like what it costs. Also it's flashy as ****, it's like "hey, I'm over here come kill me". Demon Frostflame gets 60% chance to stun, SR get 20%, HS gets 50% freeze chance, Pitfall gets 33% freeze chance. Faster cooldown on Force of Will and Sopo works the same for all wizzies. I can keep melee on their toes all the while DDing, I don't have to switch between the two.

However, my favorite pocket skill is Crown of Flame. It's a little stronger than Pyro, casts as fast and has such a low key animation. The DOT burn is meh, but those battles where you like a sliver of hp from killing them it has come through for me many times. With an 8 sec cd it's nearly spammable. Idk why, I just really like having it in my arsenal.

Demon Phoenix is also really nice, the 50% frontal AOE boost is very liberal, basically anything in front of you is getting hit, I like it.
    "Speak softly, carry a big Crit"

--Teddy Wizevelt
  • Shadowvzss - Harshlands
    Shadowvzss - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well I can't speak for the sage versions, but being demon I love that many of skills gain a chance to stun, freeze, seal.

I like what blinding blaze does, I don't like what it costs. Also it's flashy as ****, it's like "hey, I'm over here come kill me". Demon Frostflame gets 60% chance to stun, SR get 20%, HS gets 50% freeze chance, Pitfall gets 33% freeze chance. Faster cooldown on Force of Will and Sopo works the same for all wizzies. I can keep melee on their toes all the while DDing, I don't have to switch between the two.

However, my favorite pocket skill is Crown of Flame. It's a little stronger than Pyro, casts as fast and has such a low key animation. The DOT burn is meh, but those battles where you like a sliver of hp from killing them it has come through for me many times. With an 8 sec cd it's nearly spammable. Idk why, I just really like having it in my arsenal.

Demon Phoenix is also really nice, the 50% frontal AOE boost is very liberal, basically anything in front of you is getting hit, I like it.

sure in PvE they are very good and PvP vs non primaled, non endgame geared enemy but force of will ain't 1sec cooldown less on demon? since sage got 3m aoe.
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    edited July 2014
    our main crowd control skills all have chances to, while all other classes pretty much have 100% chance CCs
    also probably our main CC skill works just on World map

i would be fine with wizard CC skills if just spatial reversion would work everywhere, but nooope

nowadays classes have spammable uncounterable paralyze, or 320% base damage freeze

we are stuck with 33% freeze, 50% freeze, 25% stun, 60% stun

devs u serious
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

• ZentDreigon - Raging Tide
    ZentDreigon - Raging Tide Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    our main crowd control skills all have chances to, while all other classes pretty much have 100% chance CCs
    also probably our main CC skill works just on World map

i would be fine with wizard CC skills if just spatial reversion would work everywhere, but nooope

nowadays classes have spammable uncounterable paralyze, or 320% base damage freeze

we are stuck with 33% freeze, 50% freeze, 25% stun, 60% stun

devs u serious

This. I have strong feelings devs don't play wizard.

Oops. This is getting off-topic. Back to it...

Our skills get underrated (or unnused) due to ridiculous costs (chi, CD) that make them not very viable in combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    > A demon is driven by desire, pure desire, that cannot be stopped by reason or logic. - Mo Zun
    > Believing in demons doesn't mean believing in evil. Demons are not necessarily an evil thing. - Chin Wuming
  • RSully - Heavens Tear
    RSully - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sure in PvE they are very good and PvP vs non primaled, non endgame geared enemy but force of will ain't 1sec cooldown less on demon? since sage got 3m aoe.

That's just the thing though, there are still a lot of squishy targets. So the old tactics aren't necessarily dead, they are just more diminished as other players improve their gear and take advantage of primal skills/passives, but, that isn't just going to happen overnight.

Primal also makes us better in PvE. I don't hear a lot of talk about that. With chi shields up and wellspring surge on my wizard triple sparks every 30 sec or so regenning 20% of MP against a 23k+ mana pool. Throw in the occasional Morning Dew and my wizard bots virtually free minus gear repair.

Also, yes, demon FoW does have a faster cd, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to work most of the time in PvP instance.

I know that being good in PvP is kind of the focus in this game, but you have to consider all angles. We are far from useless.
    "Speak softly, carry a big Crit"

--Teddy Wizevelt