Is it worth it??

Options
caius775
caius775 Posts: 83 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
This is a serious question, for someone starting out as a free player, looking at the economy is it even worth it to continue playing? Me personally, yeah I like the game but Im not even full g16 ( highly refined ) or even close to r9 let alone r8 ( rep is like 50k each on my server ) How can I alone even begin to start reaching these goals for the sake of finding some sort of enjoyment when it leaves me or other players at such a disadvantage. Looking at AH it's an utter nightmare.

I mean im being honest, should one travel 1000 miles and during the journey get little to no enjoyment until finally you reach your goal months or even years down the line? Is that normal?
prices rise while options for money stay the same. A brief summary of what i do in game i spent hours in tt almost daily when I can but im still stuck in point A I want to reach point B but i see no fruit or light in the end of the tunnel. I'm at a lost here
Post edited by caius775 on

Comments

• WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It depends on how goal oriented you are and how hard you are willing to work to reach those goals.

If you are enlightened enough to enjoy the 1000miles walk instead of reaching the target, it is worth it. It is a nice PvE game after all.

If you are like me and goal orriented, it is only worth it if you like playing no-life style for 2 years to reach your goal without feeling doubts about addiction, uselessness and other such things.

Is it normal ? yes it is. It is similar in pretty much every game i played, also if they are not F2P. It is pretty much the essence of RPGs if you join them late. If you dont want this, join a game when its brand new, or play shooters/RTSes or something like that.

options for money do not stay the same. Many farmable things did increase in price over the 2 years that i played. Also, as you increase in strength, your income will increase with it. I too started doing TT 2-3 in squads for like 1m per hour. Now i solo 2-3 in 20 minutes or 3-3 in 30 for about 10m per hour.

Still though yes it takes years. It took me 2 years to get from nothing to where i am now (r9+10/12 gradually adding the vit stones) was it worth it ? NO, it was the biggest waste of time ever.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Kijinka - Dreamweaver
    Kijinka - Dreamweaver Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No, this game is not worth the effort and the only people I assume will disagree with me are too naive to see it or too financially invested. This is a terrible game and should be avoided at all costs. When it comes to getting geared now you'll never see endgame as a free player; you'll need to spend $1500+ USD to even get near end game gear and that's without shards or cards.

Not only is gearing terrible but there is an extreme lack of systems found in every other MMO on the market free or subscription. No instance matching system, no battlegrounds, no FREE global chat, the bosses are pushovers once geared & no challenge for end-game players at all.

If you look there are infinitely better games out there for both free and paid. T.E.R.A, Guild Wars2, Aìon, WoW (Yes it's better than this even with how terrible it has become with the last few expansions), Rift, The Secret World & The Elder Scrolls Online.

If you want a game with all of the features I said earlier you should look into some of the games I listed or even go ahead and look at a full list of MMORPGs out there on something like mmobomb.com. But as for this one? It will die sooner rather than later due to a lack of content & overall updates being money grabs.

tl;dr: Quit now and save your time and effort. Find a better game (read middle section)
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No it is not, the economy is screwed, coins have no value pretty much, rather look for a fresh game, pwi is already ancient and shouldn`t last too long, I`d quit and delete my char but for certain things I cannot do just yet.

It was great but now thanks to poor excuse of a management it has been led to sink even deeper, implementing auto cultivation was the last straw that broke the camel`s back, not sure if the economy can be even fixed, unless they somehow manage to delete all coins people have on the servers, thus pissing off a lot of people in the process.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You need to decide what your goals actually are. You may just like wasting some time here and there, doing pve and slowly making small improvements here and there - if that is the case then do it. There are simple ways to make enough coin to get by in pve.

If your goal is to be THE best in pvp and own everyone else, then you need to understand what that requires. Take r9. You may merchant or use cash to buy r9 but that would make you bottom of the rung in pvp (people like me who aren't even full g16 aren't even on that ladder). Bottom rung r9 is absolutely nothing, compared to r9rr fully refined and sharded. You will only reach these illustrious heights of pvp awesomeness with big cash injections or dedicated merchanting and farming at the same time. Someone with the absolute best gear in every way and the super tome will be wearing the equivalent of billions (not sure - maybe 3-5) worth of gear.

To actually be able to do some damage in pvp to these types of people (not to own them you understand - just make them uncomfortable enough to notice you and one shot you), you would need some good g16 gear. This is doable with dedicated farming/merchanting and also getting in a good guild can help.

As WannaBm said, enjoy the journey, whichever road you take. Be realistic and have fun.

EDIT - someone who knows, can you answer this. What WOULD the coin equivalent be of r9rr full refined/sharded, the Emperor tome and full S card set?
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Options
    caius775 wrote: »
    I mean im being honest, should one travel 1000 miles and during the journey get little to no enjoyment until finally you reach your goal months or even years down the line? Is that normal?

There is your answer. If you feel like that, there is no point playing.

PWI has some good points. However, it became really hard to keep up with. So even worse when catching up with. For the same cost/time you could have perfect gear and a new computer on a new(er) game. Whether the good points of PWI are worth that effort is up to everyone personally to decide, but considering what you said, it's a no.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Never compare yourself to others.
    Someone will -always- be better equipped than you, someone will always have the best stuff, someone will always beat you.

You have to set realistic priorities and expectations for yourself. Nothing you need will be achieved instantly, but think about it, everything you make you truly worked for.

The only way you'll get yourself through this is if you actually enjoy the game, the mechanics, the quests, the classes, the actual playing of the game. Things financially aren't as easy as they used to be, comparatively speaking, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

To answer your question, yes I would travel 1000 miles to reach my goal, but I enjoy the journey. From how you sound at least it seems that you don't enjoy the journey at all, so if I was you I would probably find something you'll enjoy the journey through more.
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    caius775 wrote: »
    This is a serious question, for someone starting out as a free player, looking at the economy is it even worth it to continue playing? Me personally, yeah I like the game but Im not even full g16 ( highly refined ) or even close to r9 let alone r8 ( rep is like 50k each on my server ) How can I alone even begin to start reaching these goals for the sake of finding some sort of enjoyment when it leaves me or other players at such a disadvantage. Looking at AH it's an utter nightmare.
    Free rep:
    - Morai dailies/weekly/Advanced Endless Universe, convert influence into Reputation Jade. If you can collect enough influence, you can get up to 1600 rep per day.
    - Flowsilver Palace, convert the 20 coins into Warsong Emblems and those into Wraith Officer Badges. 3000 rep per day.

Getting the materials for a Rank 8 upgrade shouldn't be too hard since you can get the dragon blood stones from Undercurrent Hall. Recasting it is another story...
    Rank 9 gear has always been hellishly expensive since it's basically the final end game gear. If you're not going to either bot or merchant your rear off, set your end gear goal at G16 or R8 and accept that you'll never catch up to the cashing top.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Gingerpubes - Morai
    Gingerpubes - Morai Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You need to decide what your goals actually are. You may just like wasting some time here and there, doing pve and slowly making small improvements here and there - if that is the case then do it. There are simple ways to make enough coin to get by in pve.

If your goal is to be THE best in pvp and own everyone else, then you need to understand what that requires. Take r9. You may merchant or use cash to buy r9 but that would make you bottom of the rung in pvp (people like me who aren't even full g16 aren't even on that ladder). Bottom rung r9 is absolutely nothing, compared to r9rr fully refined and sharded. You will only reach these illustrious heights of pvp awesomeness with big cash injections or dedicated merchanting and farming at the same time. Someone with the absolute best gear in every way and the super tome will be wearing the equivalent of billions (not sure - maybe 3-5) worth of gear.

To actually be able to do some damage in pvp to these types of people (not to own them you understand - just make them uncomfortable enough to notice you and one shot you), you would need some good g16 gear. This is doable with dedicated farming/merchanting and also getting in a good guild can help.

As WannaBm said, enjoy the journey, whichever road you take. Be realistic and have fun.

EDIT - someone who knows, can you answer this. What WOULD the coin equivalent be of r9rr full refined/sharded, the Emperor tome and full S card set?

3-5 bill? LOL gg

For full refines/shards/ornis/cards
    +12 jaded NW ornis with base helm and cape?
    try 10 bill+ :D
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It depends on how you look at things. From a PvE perspective then yes its still worth it if you enjoy the journey in an MMO. Don't be fooled into diving in and running to the finish line as fast as you can. If you do, you will find yourself way behind, with lack of funds in game, etc. G16 with decent refines of +5 to +7 is more than enough at endgame to do anything PvE related with a combination of solo and squad.

If PvP is your bag, then no, there is far too much of a separation between those who have been playing for ages, or have the real life funds to sink into the game. I would recommend a new, fresh MMO in this case.

People were saying the game was dead when gold was 1 mill each, then at 2 mill each, then at 3 mill each, etc. It's not dead yet. Yes there are idiots out there way over valuing certain items in game like t3 daggers with no -int for 90 mill, or pack fashion for 265 mill (I mean seriously who is stupid enough to pay that much even with unlimited coin in the bank?).

PWI has been kind enough to give new players freebies as they level, as well as nice free Arc gifts like hypers, plat charms, event gold, etc. so its not a bad deal at all in my opinion. Sure their customer service to many is terrible, but I feel fortunate to not have experienced anything other than great service when PvE had issues that needed resolving.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    If you wanna play for the PVE side of the game then go ahead, but if you are interest into the PVP/TW stuff then good luck, it will take you months even years to reach something decent.

the economy is broken and it just keep getting worse while the way to farm money are going down. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not as easy as it was before
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Never compare yourself to others.

"Who has never tasted bitter, knows not what is sweet.",-it is well known to all.

Once you start game you play demo version: you can get equipment (really good) from quests.

Further way is more and more hard.

Quests not worth to do.

Players start to work in game or to pay for game.

Working every day "free to play" players can get fun few days, weeks, even months, but then it become at least boring.

First you think, that you are hero, then you are like warrior, then worker, then ...
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    3-5 bill? LOL gg

For full refines/shards/ornis/cards
    +12 jaded NW ornis with base helm and cape?
    try 10 bill+ :D

Still a huge understatement.

24 josd + the emperor tome are alrdy 10bil coins on Morai currently.

You end up easily at 25+ bil coins to max out anything (and that doesnt includes War avatars of any sort).

I achieved my goal. Farmed nearly end-game gears and can fight head to head with anyone on my server. I devestate anything thats below my gear, even full r9 lower sharded/refines ppl.

So thats all nice and fun and such...but the question is...was it worth it? Was it worth spending thousands of hours into this game? In all honesty...no. It was not.

Background: I was and have always been a talented guitar player and while I'm still quite OK at playing guitar...well with thousands of hours of extra training I could be a guitar god by now (no kidding I'm serious here).

I regret the time spent on PWI although I must admit that I had fun times ofc and PvPing (NW, TW, 1on1) is still fun.

If you are unsure what to do I suggest you run while you can. Don't make the same mistakes that I did. You can still use that time to achieve your dreams in life. Time spent in this game and any other game is just wasted (cept for the social part/language improvements and negotiation trainings you have here and there + you can learn alot about ppl and meet new friends and all that isn't exclusive to MMOs so a non-factor if we are being honest).
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Joe,

Any MMO is designed to be a time sink, that's what they are made for. Any good MMO in the past from the dawn of MMOs took ages to reach the "end" and some of the longer running MMOs have had people playing them close to 15 years.

You can't fault yourself for investing time in playing, but we have all mismanaged our time to some degree, maybe investing a little too much time when we knew better. MMOs are just an easy escape from day to day, yet when an MMO experience becomes more painful than fruitful, it might be time to turn off the computer.

For those complaining about PWI, F2P games as a whole unfortunately divide the haves and have nots a lot more than the old subscription model that face access to everything to all players. The only difference was time invested. There was no huge money sink.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kijinka - Dreamweaver
    Kijinka - Dreamweaver Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Joe,

Any MMO is designed to be a time sink, that's what they are made for. Any good MMO in the past from the dawn of MMOs took ages to reach the "end" and some of the longer running MMOs have had people playing them close to 15 years.

You can't fault yourself for investing time in playing, but we have all mismanaged our time to some degree, maybe investing a little too much time when we knew better. MMOs are just an easy escape from day to day, yet when an MMO experience becomes more painful than fruitful, it might be time to turn off the computer.

For those complaining about PWI, F2P games as a whole unfortunately divide the haves and have nots a lot more than the old subscription model that face access to everything to all players. The only difference was time invested. There was no huge money sink.

Some games do f2p vs p2p in a balanced fashion so both sides of the fence don't think it's unfair.
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Options
    So thats all nice and fun and such...but the question is...was it worth it? Was it worth spending thousands of hours into this game? In all honesty...no. It was not.

Background: I was and have always been a talented guitar player and while I'm still quite OK at playing guitar...well with thousands of hours of extra training I could be a guitar god by now (no kidding I'm serious here).

I regret the time spent on PWI although I must admit that I had fun times ofc and PvPing (NW, TW, 1on1) is still fun.

If you are unsure what to do I suggest you run while you can. Don't make the same mistakes that I did. You can still use that time to achieve your dreams in life. Time spent in this game and any other game is just wasted (cept for the social part/language improvements and negotiation trainings you have here and there + you can learn alot about ppl and meet new friends and all that isn't exclusive to MMOs so a non-factor if we are being honest).

I'm quite surprised to see this coming from you tbh. You were 1 of the main "it's very possible f2p" guys here. My guess is that you recently went from not-so-busy to busy rl, like student to work b:laugh

But don't regret it, being good at something that's supposed to be a hobby, that is to say a way to spend free time, shouldn't bring more then fun/relaxation/satisfaction. When it becomes an obligation and start to ruin you, then it becomes a problem. Not just MMO's, that also applies to playing the guitar, or football or whatever hobby you can imagen.
  • Joe - Morai
    edited July 2014
    Options
    trands wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised to see this coming from you tbh. You were 1 of the main "it's very possible f2p" guys here. My guess is that you recently went from not-so-busy to busy rl, like student to work b:laugh

But don't regret it, being good at something that's supposed to be a hobby, that is to say a way to spend free time, shouldn't bring more then fun/relaxation/satisfaction. When it becomes an obligation and start to ruin you, then it becomes a problem. Not just MMO's, that also applies to playing the guitar, or football or whatever hobby you can imagen.

I'm still going for that way of thinking. It's the same as anything in life. If you want it and put enough effort into it then you can accomplish anything imaginable.

t's just that I for one played the game outta the wrong reasons for too long. I just wanna put my effort on other things and wish I had done this a long time ago already xD

But oh well. Experience was gained alot (not only ingame) so I guess it was still worth it in a way or another.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Some games do f2p vs p2p in a balanced fashion so both sides of the fence don't think it's unfair. Look at the mechanics of -I snipped it- for example. (A little biased as I play that MMO but it's a prime example of perfection when it comes to this).

Honestly I tried that MMO you mentioned as well as several others and I haven't found one I liked. But all MMOs and enjoyment of the various ones is subjective and depends on what you look for in one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    It is still worth to me. It's everyone's own call, and others cant tell what is worth to you since they are not you.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited July 2014
    Options

R9 :.................... 2bil
    other slots: .........0.5 bil
    2 recast rings: ......1 bil
    all +10 (10 items): 3bil
    +12 (10 items) :.. 7 bil
    vit stones:........... 2 bil
    emperor:............. 2 bil
    6 diff Scards:........ 5bil

So that adds up to 22.5 bil
  • Joe - Morai
    edited July 2014
    Options
    R9 :.................... 2bil
    other slots: .........0.5 bil
    2 recast rings: ......1 bil
    all +10 (10 items): 3bil
    +12 (10 items) :.. 7 bil
    vit stones:........... 2 bil
    emperor:............. 2 bil
    6 diff Scards:........ 5bil

So that adds up to 22.5 bil

Man Stuff on Archo seems to beso cheap ._. Wish I were there. xDD

So ijs it heavily depends on the server. For Morai as an example you can just add a straight 10 bil coins to that at least.

BTW: Other slots involve Helm/Robe/neck? The g16 rec Neck costs over 1,2b alone xD
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • mochabear#4763
    mochabear#4763 Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Well, I just have this to add,

First, a background, I'm a new player of some months and knew I was starting late. I'm from another MMO with top gear etc but got boring. So I decided to try another MMO, I invested alot of funds to put me above average compared to the regular player and I can 1 shot g16s. Its fortunate for me that I can afford this, but i understand others cannot.

Having said that, there are alot of good moments and experiences in game, socially and pve pvp. What i find lacking is the scarcity of gms.

For example, after investing so much, i decided to try celestial tigers event. And suddenly I was dcd every min or 2 for the event duration. Once rewards were given, dcs stopped. I dunno if taking the celestial tigers event caused this problem. I will try again tonight. I know, the first answer is my internet, or heck maybe i chose the wrong internet provider, of which there is one. We'll see.

Youd think all these ppl putting in so much time effort and/or money would get a game that works like other mmos without the huge cash influx. The point of this post is, I seriously hope PWI isnt taking customers for granted cause there are so many games without as much cash investment required. Please dont think for one moment the world is required to throw money at you. Certainly I dont expect ppl to pay me for poor work. An example: you go to a fast food restaurant and the worker sometimes spits in your food, not all time but sometimes. Customers are not required to have unlimited patience. They pay for service.

Also, pls fix the forum avatar issue and pq3 when you can, thanks.
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Depends on your goal, and if you're an elitist or not.

If you want to be able to function in PvE, yes, its worth it. I'm a cleric in full G16 with my armor +4/+5, and I can survive. I do not yet have a cube necklace, nor a warsong belt, and for the most part, I'm f2p.

Barbs, seekers, blademasters and possibly sins in comparable gear could solo most instances. So pve-wise, its worth it.

Pvp: Not unless you're willing to lay down some MAJOR real life money.

Ultimately, its up to you to determine if your goals are attainable, andif you enjoy the game enough to invest the time in it.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Pvp: Not unless you're willing to lay down some MAJOR real life money.

Or much more likely, time. Can people now please stop assuming that everyone better geared than them are enormous CSers. They arent. I havent spent a penny, and just judging from his posts, i dont think Joe has ever spent a penny either.

All the top players you see, they are no-life gamers. CSers are just the bunch of morons who buy packs spend money on R9 and Scards but dont have the refines etc. The ones you see that make you wonder if they have any clue about what they are doing. If you have the mentality to be a cashshopper, i doubt you will ever reach the top.
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Man Stuff on Archo seems to beso cheap ._. Wish I were there. xDD

So ijs it heavily depends on the server. For Morai as an example you can just add a straight 10 bil coins to that at least.

BTW: Other slots involve Helm/Robe/neck? The g16 rec Neck costs over 1,2b alone xD

The badge of the cube necklace runs about 1.3 to 1.5b on archosaur. The rings are about 150m for the sky cover or cloud stir, 180m if you buy the seals of war, plus the 100m craft fee. I am not sure what he is counting for "other slots" because that won't get you matchless wings, let alone now cape or wings of adcension (about 1b) or the recast faction base helm (like 600m plus an eternity of base quests). He is also counting vit stones (90-95m each) instead of JoSD (350-400m). He doesn't count weapon shards (300m for drakeflame or 150m for icebourne) or engraves (I have spent at least 500m on engraves and mine are not even very good).

To literally max a character on archosaur you are realistically looking at 35 billion coins (plus the cost of avatar cards), which would run you around $13,000 if you just cashed it and sold the gold in auction house. (Not counting a crown of madness because none have ever sold on archosaur, but several players have open offers in the range of 4-6 billion coins if someone ever decides to sell)

I have spent around 20 billion in game myself, mostly across 3 characters (r9s3 wiz, sin, seeker with +11 gear +12 weapons, r9 recast rings, nw rings and neck, emperor and dominance tomes; wiz is partial JoSD but I sold off all my remaining DoDs since wiz are pretty useless since this expansion).

I have spent some actual money in game but probably 95% of that is from farming and merchanting. Considering the amount of time (or money) required to get a character to endgame at this point seems like a waste. Who knows where this game will be years from now or who will be left to compete against when you finally reach endgame?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maestro121
    maestro121 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Or much more likely, time. Can people now please stop assuming that everyone better geared than them are enormous CSers. They arent. I havent spent a penny, and just judging from his posts, i dont think Joe has ever spent a penny either.

All the top players you see, they are no-life gamers. CSers are just the bunch of morons who buy packs spend money on R9 and Scards but dont have the refines etc. The ones you see that make you wonder if they have any clue about what they are doing. If you have the mentality to be a cashshopper, i doubt you will ever reach the top.

So say a guy makes seven figures a year. He is able to do so through the dint of a quality education, hard work and the wherewithal to grasp opportunities when they come by.

During the little spare time he has, he enjoys MMOS and happens upon this game. Thinks the PVP (which is the main reason he plays MMOs, by the way) is interesting and wants to give it a try.

But the thing is, he is a very busy guy who in no way has the time to invest thousands of hours in game just to bring his toon to a state where it can compete in PVP. So he drops 15 grand into the game since money is no problem.

So tell me WannaBM... does that make this guy a moron ?
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited July 2014
    Options
    true, i did not count everything that is possible. The G16 neck would be a very reasonable addition. JOSD for some toons maybe, but not for a str barb imo. (just marginally better than vits for 3-4x the price) same for darkflamestones. So ye i counted only the things that i would consider myself if i wouldnt stop playing soon :p

Truely countig everything that is possible is also kind of impossible because it is nearly endless. You could also count a set of S cards. Reborn twice meaning youd have to get the set 4 times That would get you into the many 100s of billions.
    maestro121 wrote: »
    So say a guy makes seven figures a year. He is able to do so through the dint of a quality education, hard work and the wherewithal to grasp opportunities when they come by.

During the little spare time he has, he enjoys MMOS and happens upon this game. Thinks the PVP (which is the main reason he plays MMOs, by the way) is interesting and wants to give it a try.

But the thing is, he is a very busy guy who in no way has the time to invest thousands of hours in game just to bring his toon to a state where it can compete in PVP. So he drops 15 grand into the game since... as should be obvious... money is no problem.

So tell me WannaBM... does that make this guy a moron ?

Yes it does.

It is not about being able to spend the money. I am able to spend the money myself. It is about the ridiculousness of buying yourself a victory to satisfy your ego. What we do, working hard for our victory (which is in essence always for the ego) is already stupid enough, buying it and fooling yourself is 10fold worse.

Also your example is unrealistic. CSing an MMO rpg does not fit with the mentality of people who become succesfull in life either. It fits with the mentality of people who inherited a fortune or who simply have rich parents paying everything for them they wish cuz else the kid starts crying.
  • maestro121
    maestro121 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Yes it does.

It is not about being able to spend the money. I am able to spend the money myself. It is about the ridiculousness of buying yourself a victory to satisfy your ego. What we do, working hard for our victory (which is in essence always for the ego) is already stupid enough, buying it and fooling yourself is 10fold worse.

LOL... you do know you called the people whose spending helps to keep the servers running just so that those who what to play MMOS but can't afford to pay and/or want to go the F2P route, "morons" right ?

You are aware as well that it is because of the spending of cash shoppers which allows people like you to no-life the game, right ?

Finally... what you're basically saying is that those who don't have the time to put in thousands of hours just to "earn money" in a fantasy world are "morons" just because they choose to put the money they "earned in real life" into a hobby they enjoy.

You're a pretty smart guy I'm sure. So it should be obvious to you how elitist you come across above.
    Also your example is unrealistic. CSing an MMO rpg does not fit with the mentality of people who become succesfull in life either. It fits with the mentality of people who inherited a fortune or who simply have rich parents paying everything for them they wish cuz else the kid starts crying.

Wow... just wow. I would love to see the research or study source supporting that fairly outrageous statement. Me thinks you're just letting your contempt for CSers color your view point here.
  • overcomem
    overcomem Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Yes if you just want fun with friends and stuff pve/pvp. This game is still fun. Just G16/R8r gears +5 refines and go have fun. Don't care about being OP. Farming for R9rr I suggest don't do it, it will cost your life so much.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Options
    maestro121 wrote: »
    LOL... you do know you called the people whose spending helps to keep the servers running just so that those who what to play MMOS but can't afford to pay and/or want to go the F2P route, "morons" right ?

You are aware as well that it is because of the spending of cash shoppers which allows people like you to no-life the game, right ?

Finally... what you're basically saying is that those who don't have the time to put in thousands of hours just to "earn money" in a fantasy world are "morons" just because they choose to put the money they "earned in real life" into a hobby they enjoy.

You're a pretty smart guy I'm sure. So it should be obvious to you how elitist you come across above.

Wow... just wow. I would love to see the research or study source supporting that fairly outrageous statement. Me thinks you're just letting your contempt for CSers color your view point here.

Sadly, I'd have to say this is the *worst* place to ask this question. Most of the people who bother to post in this forum are pretty hard-core and seriously jaded (heavy TW/PvP players, massively-geared long hours per day mulch-clienting farmers and serious hangers on.) The "a few hours a day" PVE people are playing the game, then doing something else - not setting themselves on fire in here.

Not to mention the 30% who quit the game for some reason, and spend their free time trolling the forums to ridicule anyone who still plays, eager to recount their tales of how they were wronged and how stupid we are for still playing.

That said, I will agree with several of the above posters that PvE is reasonably smooth, detailed, easy to play on older machines and capable of keeping you busy for a long amount of time if you so choose. For most PvE (especially if you take your time, do the quests and learn your char), the Economy won't affect you until you start to approach 90+, and then only as much as you want it to. Free To Play is certainly possible here, and will be sufficient for 95% of PvE.

Convincing the rest of the population with endgame gear who seem to require PvP gear to do PvE content may be the problem. You'll honestly have more fun treating this as a single player game (unless you have a friend or two to play with you) because 75% of the population are on their third pass leveling, and hit like a truck (with high gear) at very low levels.

Once you try the game, if you like it you can while away quite a lot of hours happily without having to dip your toe in Territory Wars, or PvP.

tl;dr version: Try it yourself, and trust your own judgement.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Of course i let my contempt color my viewpoint. Actually my contempt is my viewpoint. Thats pretty much the whole idea of a viewpoint, it is colored. If not, it were called facts. Philosophers are still not sure facts even exist.
    You don't think yours isnt colored do you ?

Most likely you are a CSer who feels insulted. Thats your color.

I dont need a study to know that the very very vast majority of the population would think large scale CSing in a game like this is **** if they knew it existed like it does. You know it too. I'm sure most of you hardcore CSers dont tell your real life friends and relatives what money you put into this.

I am not talking about the people who montly deposit 10$ as if it was a subscription game because they feel they should help their bit to keep the game running. I can perfectly understand that and i have voluntarily deposited small sums to different games that were not designed P2W but just gave a little benefit in better user interface for example. I also voluntarily give financial support to other things like wikipedia.
    I am talking about paying large sums of money to get good equipment. Those that people always talk about who CS their R9 and S cards.

Indeed someone needs to keep the server running. If the game were not designed P2W, i would probably be one of them. But this game is designed P2W so instead of many people paying a little bit, a smaller group pays a lot. That is the group of morons.