What is considered "taking the game too seriously"

Colum - Raging Tide
Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
I've always considered it as you're throwing a ragefit over a TW, duel, 1vs1, NW, damage rankings, dying in an instance and so on. As in people getting upset over something game-related that really has no real impact to anything, wasnt an intentional attempt to bully etc.

However, I get personally accused of "taking the game too seriously" for such things as not accepting every rude thing that people say or do. For example, I do not like it if you decide to be a jerk and steal molds in Warsong, or leave the squad and kill everyone in the middle of a boss etc. I also do not like it when you try to make a personal attack towards me and my life, or call me fail because I told you I'd prefer getting healed with IH instead of CHB spam.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong taking the other people and their acts seriously. Sure, it is a game, but it is we players making the community of the game and the game is made by people. Is it OK to be a bully or careless online just because you're anonymous? Is it OK to assume that every single player is a fat nerd with no life (as an example of common insult used)? Is it OK you mock someone for their religion, sexual orientation or lifestyle and then say they shouldnt take it seriously because this is just a game?

People also seem to consider it as you cannot have a bad day while playing PWI. Yes, PWI is a game, and it is meant to have fun but not everyone have the happy mode going on 24/7. In fact, I think people are justified for being upset as long as they're reasonable with it (so not crying an entire day over something they lost in PK.)

b:surrender Me no comprehendo. One of the main things in PWI that tends to bug me is the careless community.
Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
Post edited by Colum - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Proski - Archosaur
    Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    changing the font of your post
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You know some people take it too seriously when they tell your mom IRL that you pked them in a game. (true story)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is no taking anything too seriously. That is impossible. You and you alone define what is important to you and most of the time ppl get upset cuz of way different reasons then it would appear on first sight.

If you see ppl raging about a kill or loss in a game it doesnt really mean that they rage because o this event. It could be just the trigger that made them let their emotions and frustration go.

Really just basics of psychology + if you think about it: You and everyone else acts the same way. The reasons for being emotional are most of the time hidden from the average spectator.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • Metalogue - Archosaur
    Metalogue - Archosaur Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When you start losing sleep over a missed merching opportunity.
    When you call out of work so you can farm TT.
    If you tell a therapist that the reason you're depressed is because your faction split up.

*Don't base whether or not you take the game too seriously upon your interaction with others. It's the internet, but it's still interaction, you're still making friends and enemies, so emotions and feelings are bound to come out at times. Instead, base it upon the game itself, where I listed a few examples.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You know some people take it too seriously when they tell your mom IRL that you pked them in a game. (true story)

Would you care to share some of that story? That sounds very interesting...
    edited July 2014
    Would you care to share some of that story? That sounds very interesting...

I was speaking with my mom a few days ago on the phone and she told me that someone did complain to her that I pked her in game (someone I know irl that know my mom), my mom doesn't play PWI, doesn't even know what that game is, she doesn't give a **** about it and was ''wtf??'', I laughed so hard when she told me about it. It's so lame, when you are at the point to go complain at someone IRL mom about a kill in a game then yea it's too serious and they should go get a life. (and let me specify that I pked that person 1 time xD)

b:pleased

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ZentDreigon - Raging Tide
    ZentDreigon - Raging Tide Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think those who take the game too seriously seem to fit into two profiles:
    - those who invest a lot or time/money in it;
    - those who have near to no fun activities IRL.

I dare to say some only feel successful in game so they rage when things don't go their way. By checking the language used in game when people are for exemple raging on WC I can see lots of impatient and occasionally spoiled players who fit the above, especially the younger ones who haven't felt the taste of the grown up life yet.

The reasons people take the game too seriouly are too many to count, but I believe it's important to avoid pouring fuel on this fire. Maybe they'll realize it leads to nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    > A demon is driven by desire, pure desire, that cannot be stopped by reason or logic. - Mo Zun
    > Believing in demons doesn't mean believing in evil. Demons are not necessarily an evil thing. - Chin Wuming
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    When you congratulate your microwave because it dinged.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2014

LOL b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When the lines between virtual reality and actual reality starts to blur.

LIKE:

Mom/dad says 'take out the trash'

You: I just did. (Talking about a 'hated' person in game that you just pked) b:avoid
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    edited July 2014
    I think those who take the game too seriously seem to fit into two profiles:
    - those who invest a lot or time/money in it;
    - those who have near to no fun activities IRL.

b:cry I fit in both categories yet I can separate IRL from game... I hope. b:shutup

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Proski - Archosaur
    Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    when you put ice cubes down your girlfriend's shirt because you thought she wanted frostblade
  • Kittysama - Raging Tide_1432680721
    edited July 2014
    when You Put Ice Cubes Down Your Girlfriend's Shirt Because You Thought She Wanted Frostblade

That's So Effin Mean!! q.q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Final ragequit on 21/02/2014 'cause ARC. Back on 15/04/2014, RL was bored.
    Ten Paths of Kittyness(old mains when deleted): Kittysama 100(100) Sage HA-Venomancer |Aivina 100(101) Sage (ex-Zerk) Str. Seeker | Kittytart 90(101) Demon All path Zerk BM | KittyFishie 92(101) Demon APS/DPH Zerk Assassin | Haroin 100(100) Demon Vit. Zerk Barbarian | Elfborn 82(100) Demon Cleric | Pessimiste 85(100) Sage Wizard | PalavaEnkeli 87(100) Demon Fist/APS-Archer | VerenVanki 85(100) Demon Mystic | MerenPeto 85(100) Sage Psychic
    Current mains: Old psy and 19 new/recreated mains(avg. level 82)
  • shashahah
    shashahah Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "taking the game too seriously" depends on the point of view of the person involved

imo "taking the game too seriously" foremost means if the game starts to influence ur reallife, as in, u get to late to work cos u had to finish an instance or wait for some1 to trade with u
    or when ur turning ur friends down because u still have something to do ingame
    stuff the like
    also, when u rage about getting killed/trashtalked in game so much and take it so personal that u do everything in ur might to "crush/hurt" that some1 (even when its just ingame) to "take revenge"

ofc u have to decide for urself whats more important to u, but most ppl dont notice when they cross the line from game to "addiction" (and ofc theres always excuses why its NOT being addicted)
  • SereneMusic - Raging Tide
    SereneMusic - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Colum ^^
    b:cute The Beautiful, Kind, Loving, and Musical Angel! b:cute

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • foley3k
    foley3k Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    -If it angers you to the point you yell are scream (people have done that to me on vent/teamspeak)

-If it affects your life in a negative way. Lack of sleep, poor diet, neglecting kids/family etc...

-If you could buy a car with the money you put into this game. You own nothing of this game. Everything is owned by PWE. They can cancel your account, shut down the game, roll it back whenever they want, and there isnt a dam thing you can do about it. I would disagree with people who call the game a hobby. To me a hobby is something you can do, own, manipulate, physically touch etc... The act of gaming can be a hobby. Dumping all that coin into 1 game, to me isnt. Not my money, so I dont care what they do, but this game its self is not a hobby.

-Like others said, if someone tells on your for killing them outside the game. People have murdered people over other MMO games.

-Didnt someone cry in game before?

-Threatening someone, like actually meaning that you want to kill or hurt someone. This might fall into the anger category.

-Smashing keyboard, monitor, breaking things. I know people who do this and it is funny to watch.

-If you are THIS GUY
    NGTUy53.png

• JustAllEvil - Harshlands
    JustAllEvil - Harshlands Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When somebody texts somebody I'm having lunch in RL to ask if I'm talking about them. b:laugh
    Sometimes snarky, but will always bake you cupcakes.
  • HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When you start deleting ppl off Skype because they killed you in PK.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    edited July 2014
    Now that I think about it... There has been quite a few people telling me how they'll level up and get the same gears and then beat me up... I'm still waiting for their challenges. b:chuckle

• mntainr
    mntainr Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    - you learned more on bussiness and economics in pwi than you did in school.

- to safeguard your account, you pull out your car alarm and fitted it into your computer.

- you know little about health and nutrients but everyone ingame look towards you for advice on everything to do leveling and xp.

- you replaced your rl friends for perfect friends... so you thought.

- you know almost nothing about computer but everything about graphics card, in game fashion and can recite the names of every colours.

- the bulk of your rl time is spent on writing a deep philosophical paper on how to be a perfect person in pve and pvp.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My 5 year old keeps beating my *** on Mario Kart 8 and I want to smash the dam wii U game pad - is that taking things too seriously.....

I think I fit a certain category of PWI players - it goes like this: what's the point of taking any part of this game seriously when I will NEVER be able to compete with the op players....the gear gap kinda makes everything more relaxing to me, knowing that I can never get within a million miles of the top tier....

....and instead of smashing the gamepad I've been practising when she's at kindy.....b:surrender
  • Pistdoff - Archosaur
    Pistdoff - Archosaur Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stabbing someone irl because you annoyed them on a game, that's maybe taking the game a bit too serious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    takes 3.3m
    takes 6.1m
    takes 7.1m
    takes 6.0m

OVERKILL b:victoryb:dirtyb:victory
  • anaovt1
    anaovt1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mntainr wrote: »
    - you learned more on bussiness and economics in pwi than you did in school.

I wrote my college admissions essay about this. I go to a top 20 school.

Also, what I consider taking the game too seriously is much smaller than spending all your income on it or not having a life. I think someone takes it too seriously if they can't slow down and have fun with other players. I think someone who rushes through because every minute costs them a million they could earn auto-cultiing or farming, that's too serious. If you want to rush like that, solo it. If you can't solo it, deal with a squad that can't stealth through all the mobs (for some reason it's sins 95% of the time).
    Camlyra-Raging Tides. Since the avatar is broken.

Cleric 103/103/102
    Seeker 102/102/101
    Wizard 101/101/101
    Psychic 102/99
  • DoggieStylz - Sanctuary
    DoggieStylz - Sanctuary Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No, you know you have a issue when you tell your friends that your wife cast BloodPaint on herself because its that time of the month......b:surrender
    Pk'ers are RED,
    Carebears are BLUE
    Nobody cares
    Because
    GM's Still SCREWED YOU!b:shocked
  • AdagioSonata - Heavens Tear
    AdagioSonata - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I guess you take the game too seriously when you:

1)constantly whine and complain about a pk to the point you stalk the person over it and pm them non-stop

2)try to attack a person beyond their character and actually think they'll fear your pixel threats (no offense, but unless you know the person in real life and can break into their house and do some real damage, your threats on your character are as good as gone as soon as the person easily clears their chat. Simple as that to be honest o.o

3)this one I'm not quite sure if it's taking the game too seriously or not, but the issue when someone says they love you after seeing your character and then getting jealous when someone else is taking your time from them (keeping in mind you just met the person and know nothing about them)-this problem happens a lot to me. It's kind of freaky at times.
  • Filtheyrich - Heavens Tear
    Filtheyrich - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    b:pleasedb:chuckleb:laugh
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Taking it to serious is subjective, but for me it means taking the game for more then a way to have fun during free time. Fun or any derivation (like relaxing or excitement). This includes mainly :
    - Players that are logged in while complaining about being bored all the time.
    - Players who spend more time then just "free time".
    - Players who spend more money then they actually can afford.
    - Players who care way to much about what others do/posses ingame.
    - Players who get nervous breakdown or hysterical over some game issues, stalking, harassing and so on.
    - Players who can't sleep untill they did all the dailies on several characters (or even on 1).

More objectively, PWI should be a hobby, nothing more, nothing less. If I were to compare it with rl, the taking to serious, is like those ppl who have some dream they chace in irreasonable extend. Like the cliche example of ppl that want to become a singer and therefore sacrifice their study/job, putting money they actually need to be independant on hair/nails/beauty that's supposed to serve their dream. There are quite a few like that, and I find that really scary.
  • mia999
    mia999 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jumping out of your bed in the morning with a back flip wondering why u hit the floor instead of flying to the bathroom on your fancy sword b:chuckle
  • Gaykamitarie - Dreamweaver
    Gaykamitarie - Dreamweaver Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When people have to sign up for Guilds via another website. I was literately shocked that people cared to that much of a extent. when i saw how many factions are doing it. I just figured that sense it was a game, and you probably wont remember anything you did when u logg off later that day and have your actual Life that you wouldn't care about who you invited to your guild, aside from Thieves and beggers that is, and i figure it would be the other way around also.I mean it's just a faction, Who cares. Boy was i wrong.

and everything that follows behind that. such as nerds that are probably Dudes playing female characters in wc saying "im pregnant and im going to have my baby in 6 months" Or when the entire server Kisses the A$$ of one player. b:cute