Unwritten rules.

Options
aquale
aquale Posts: 74 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Hey everyone. I want know better about unwritten rules. I'm unable know about those if I can't read about them anywhere.

So here is what happened: Barb wined 79 and I got with him to do my bh. He didn't say anything about like - Hey I absolutely need to get this nuema from boss. Because unaware of his intentions I absorbed nuema and after this accident he started yelling for me. I did apologise with wine but I don't know will he ever forgive me :/ He must hate me :(

So to avoid these kind in future I want to know better these unwritten rules. Thanks and sorry.
Post edited by aquale on

Comments

• Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If he wanted the Nuema at the end, he could have just said so before engaging the boss. Being "hated" for such a thing is just ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Generally if people want something like the molds, or nuema in this case they state it in the world chat, just make sure you read the world chat carefully, don't stop reading at 'LFM Bh 69' most will say "LFM BH 69 free wine MY nuema"... and if they don't specify but say it's free wine in the world chat, you could ask them about it.

Not EVERYONE follows the 'unwritten' rules, be it a person who wines, or a random invitee. Just have to be wary/aware if they want something specific, and if they don't say anything, don't just assume, ask first. (Let them be the '***'/stingy person... not that they aren't allowed to ask for something in return for free wine, but yea its just as much their fault if they don't speak up as it is yours/anyone else who was in a similar position and didn't speak up.) xD

We are all only human, and you did from the sound of it make it as right as you could, and replaced the wine, if he... or she still hates you for that, then so be it. You definitely didn't have to make it 'right.' (also as that old saying goes you can't be liked by everyone, even if you try and right the wrong so to speak)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'll usually wc whether I either want or need the nuema (when I wine the run) as I form the squad with the world chats /or/ after the squad is formed, I'll simply let everyone know that its up for grabs to whoever is in need of it...

I have had people grab the nuema before like you did to that barb, but I don't usually get mad at them (the only time I do get angry, is if I've announced that I want the 'Nuema dibs' as the winer of the run and they still steal it even though they already knew that it was announced to already be needed by me) "But no matter what, No Nuema! Is worth you having to get 2-wines to compensate the barb for it, sounds like he was just a jerk with an overly obnoxious attitude, if thats what it took for you to have to placate him, just because he wouldn't get over it" (things like this happen on occasion in the bh runs (as most of us know) and he should of already been ready for the occasional lost chance at a nuema) b:surrender

((But even so, its best to ask if its a 'free nuema run' at the beginning of the run, so that misunderstandings/problems like what happened to you earlier, can be avoided)) b:thanks
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Usually common sense and ethics will do.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Common sense used to say molds belonged to the winer. nowadays, with molds being useless, the only thing of more use form a run would be a nuema, and common sense dictates the wienr should get it, unless otherwise stated.
    However, common sense is a high grade commodity very few individuals posses, so it's best to announce as the winer that you want the nuema or ask as one of the participants if nuema is reserved.
    When the run is unwined, then it's dibs to whomever gets it first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tat2ooo
    tat2ooo Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Generally if they wine it then they get everything, unless they say they dont want/need it. In your case you should of asked first not just take it upon yourself to take it.
  • noodlepunch
    noodlepunch Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    It's a common courtesy/consideration that the person providing the wine for the run gets the drops or has the choice to state if something is free for others to grab. Same goes for the person providing tabs if it's their FB run.
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If someone takes the cost of wine/opening, it's common sense they do it for the nuema/mold/eod.

Being the 1st to jump on a mold/nuema without asking while not being the squadmaker/winer/payer is a bit rude.

Both of those are common sense imo. Doing the 2nd will get you considered a rude person. If you are in bad luck, you will get a 30min wc rage telling how horrible you are (which is a bit exagerated but does happen). If it wasn't intentional, think twice next time and everyone will have forgotten about this in a few days.
  • veronicae
    veronicae Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    As to your question what else is considered an unwritten rule, here an example that I have experienced lately:

In a WS run it is considered polite norm to ask before grabbing a mold or even better to announce before the run what everyone needs so there is no misunderstanding and someone picks a mold someone else wanted. As for the inscriptions that drop at the last boss and can be used to craft WS belts: They used to get split equally between all squad members by having everyone pick up the same amount. As of now with r9 alot of people don't need the inscriptions anymore and will just walk away or state that they dont need. However it is polite to ask before just picking all of them.

I've been in a run lately where one girl just picked all inscriptions without asking. Ended in her being kicked from squad by the squad leader cause he stated he "can't trust her not to pick the Essence too" and being raged at by two other people in the squad as to "how dumb" she is. So to avoid that: ask before picking, if more ppl need, split them equally.
    sealightnewsig_zpsfd599c1f.png
  • Fryvorg - Sanctuary
    Fryvorg - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    There is one rule that applies to everything: Communication is key.

If you do something, speak to your person opposite about it.
    Before you attempt to pk someone, give a heads up or ask.
    Before you take a mold/Neuma, ask or discuss it if several people lay claim to it.
    If you grab agro of someone else's mobs in open world or if you mess up at an important spot of an instance, apologize.
    And so on. That's all there is to it.
    World is full of illusions.

What if I played a Cleric?

All Joy In Keeping Us Medically Energetic.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options

Before you take a mold/Neuma, ask or discuss it if several people lay claim to it.
    If you grab agro of someone else's mobs in open world or if you mess up at an important spot of an instance, apologize.
    And so on. That's all there is to it.

^ this
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options

No, just no.
    Read here
    I should've written there "especially on a pve server".

People CHOOSE to go pk mode or people CHOOSE to be on a pvp server.
    WHY should you ask or give a heads up. White name = free game unless you harass someone (pvp servers rule thing from PWE, doesn't count on pve servers(?)).

This is not an unwritten rule, this is from people who turn on PK mode because LOL I WANT CHI FROM NPC'S IN INSTANCES.
    Just no.
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • Marengo - Lost City
    Marengo - Lost City Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Wat? XD Should I provide them with charms and pots before attack too? b:laugh

Concerning the topic: picking nuema is not a tragedy, but if you feel that guilty you can send him 2 wines as apology for this terrible offense or money for wine b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
    pw art ◊ tinyurl.com/q6ca7ar ◊
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I've always felt the person that wines gets the drops/molds/nuema. I don't even attempt to grab any of them even if they say they don't need the items.

Now if I run people through an instance with a nuema drop I will say the nuema is mine. I can solo them all anyway, but might as well see if anyone needs the BH beforehand.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bigchewy
    bigchewy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Unwriiten rules should read something like "apply common sense".

Sadly common sense isnt very common
  • SHIMBERLY - Heavens Tear
    SHIMBERLY - Heavens Tear Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Just do what you want its a game,just act like you didn't know,just ignore and say oh well blah blah.
  • aquale
    aquale Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    "But no matter what, No Nuema! Is worth you having to get 2-wines to compensate the barb for it
    At least this case is solved, forgiven and I even got my Wine back. Did I say two wines? I meant one wine. Anyway one problem is solved and I did learn something. And I do learn from my mistakes.

For me this "common sense" sounds like assumption that everyone thinks like you and is aware as you are, but as said "Sadly common sense isn't very common". So assuming won't work every time, finding out with communication might work.

Since I don't assume anything, I'll try to find about to know better. That's why I made this thread.

So my mistake was not asking and he didn't also say anything before it was too late...

Thanks for all answers so far. More please.
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Typically it is an unwritten rule that the winer does indeed get the nuema, molds, books...depending upon which instance. You weren't exactly in the wrong, as the barb did not state that he wanted it. He just presumed that you knew and would read his mind, so that isn't your fault. You also replaced the wine and apologized so there isn't anything else that you could really do there. You did pay the cost of the wine, so he ultimately didn't lose out.

Just take it as a lesson for the future.

The barb should too, because if he doesn't speak up that he wants it, then he shouldn't be mad that its taken. Best to announce it at the beginning of a run, and then announce it again before engaging the boss that drops it.

If I pay the fee at lunar, I literally do not open it until everyone states that they understand that its my fee, and thus my EoD. Then I restate it before engaging Primal Fear. That way no one can say that they didn't know, don't understand, etc.

As someone else stated...Communication counts for a lot, and can remedy a lot of issues before they become severe.

No, just no.
    Read here

WHY should you ask or give a heads up. White name = free game unless you harass someone (pvp servers rule thing from PWE, doesn't count on pve servers(?)).

This is not an unwritten rule, this is from people who turn on PK mode because LOL I WANT CHI FROM NPC'S IN INSTANCES.
    Just no.

Agreed, with one exception...those poor unfortunate souls like myself that were PK enabled because of the hidden caravan quest in primal. b:cry Only way to get that done is to be pk enabled and not everyone doing it is happy about it. b:surrender

Aside from that, I agree.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011"

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Agreed, with one exception...those poor unfortunate souls like myself that were PK enabled because of the hidden caravan quest in primal. Only way to get that done is to be pk enabled and not everyone doing it is happy about it.

Indeed. And that's why I simply choose not to do that quest myself. What I will do on occasion is hover over a few white folks doing that quest with my blue cleric and just IH stack and purify them. Several sneaksy sins find this distasteful, but I find it even more distasteful to annoy people who are trying to do quests on a server that isn't even of the PvP type.

Borderline grieving, that, if you ask me.

As for unwritten rules - if the person paying for entry/wines/whatever isn't speaking up, it's a free for all in my book. A common call for example is "BH Lunar my fee my EOD" -> I have no quarrels about picking up essences and small mats if that's the call for squad. I've also seen "BH Lunar my fee my drops" -> In that case I only pick gold stacks (and whatever may be left behind). Nuemas aren't hard to announce either. "LFM BH79 my wine (/solo) my nuema" isn't hard to type. It informs people they'll have an easy time but the bonus is for the party lead.

As said here. Communication is key. Party invite should match what you expect people to do.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Fryvorg - Sanctuary
    Fryvorg - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    No, just no.
    Read here

Just no.
    Wat? XD Should I provide them with charms and pots before attack too? b:laugh
    Of course, it's people's choices to be white named/be on a pvp server and they should be expected to be attacked at any time. But what I meant is if you wanna avoid any drama, you better say something (nice). And you know there's enough drama revolving around unprepared pk lol.

My first sentence of my last post was the important message, though b:shutup
    World is full of illusions.

What if I played a Cleric?

All Joy In Keeping Us Medically Energetic.