Please help me try and improve my lag

WannaBM - Archosaur
WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Support Desk
Lately i am having bad lag in PWI. Ive had it before, it happens in periods.

So i ran tracert. http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Wacken79/trace-1.jpg

Now this leaves me with a bunch of questions.

It seems that the delay is at #14. Can i do anything to make the packages go around that hub ? If so, would that possibly improve things ? Arent they supposed to find the fastest route by themselves ?

I see this list of times, while they have an ascending trent, they are however not perfectly ascending from 1 to 17. All the numbers in 16 are lower than in 15. This means it cannot be the total times that are given. But judging the numbers and comparing with the lag i experience it can also not be the lag for only that 1 node. Adding them all together would net around 3000ms. It isn't that bad either. Can anyone please explain me how these numbers originate and how they translate to the lag i experience in game ?

Google came up with this site: http://www.battleping.com/perfect-world-ping.php Is this effective and safe ? Or maybe any others like it that i should try ?

Is there, considering this information anything that i can do that i am not thinking of ? Seeing that the numbers are very low for the first few nodes, am i right to assume that i cannot improve things with drivers / routers / firewalls in here ?
Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
Post edited by WannaBM - Archosaur on

Comments

• Dblazen - Dreamweaver
    Dblazen - Dreamweaver Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    But judging the numbers and comparing with the lag i experience it can also not be the lag for only that 1 node. Adding them all together would net around 3000ms. It isn't that bad either. Can anyone please explain me how these

3000ms is terrible lag, it's very bad.

Can you do anything against it to go around that node?
    Not as far as I can tell, only thing that -might- help is switching your DNS to say (i'm not very sure about that though, been a while since i've been in the networking thing, so might wanna wait for Sylen to pop up), that of google (or any other).
    Or some fast proxy, but then you'll get banned for using a proxy.

So no, you'll pretty much have to deal with it for now.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited June 2014
    3000ms is terrible lag, it's very bad.

What i mean is, 3000ms is not what is see in game. In game i usually see times around 1000ms. Occasionally i am lucky and it can be down to 300, occasiinally it goes up to yes, the 2000-3000 range. But most of the time its between 700 and 1300.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited June 2014
    bump.

traced a few times more over the last week. Results are consistently similar to the one i posted. I can barely play PWI with this lag b:cry
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2014
    Sorry, I swear I had posted a reply to this thread already, but apparently I haven't.

First off, I have noticed lately, (over the past week or so), that the regional hub in San Jose has been having some real issues. As a result, a large part of the community has been experiencing intermittent issues. I am actually a bit surprised I haven't seen more posts on the problem, especially when we had an almost server-wide mass DC a couple of days ago on Sanctuary. (Seriously, I'm not one to exaggerate about this, you guys know that.)

What baffles me about your traceroute is the path it takes. Tracking the IP Address locations shows it going across through Japan to the East Coast, which is exactly poopsite of how I would think it should go to be effective. (Trunk lines through Asia and the Phillipines are notorious for being slow.) The other thing that strikes me as interesting is all the "above.net" connections in the path, thought that could be because it's taking that unusual path.

What I would try is using something like DNSJumpter to find a good, fast DNS and then using it. Before you do that, you will want to completely reset your network connection by shutting down both your PC and your modem/router for a minimum of three minutes. (It's a good idea to perform a static discharge on the PC, and flush the DNS Cache after you boot it back up.)

Oh, almost forgot, using a proxy like battleping will get your account auto-banned by the bot on the server. In your case it probably wouldn't help anyhow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for your help.

I have done all that you describe. If i run tracert now, it still shows the same route being used though. At this moment the lag is good, but i suspect that is because it is 5:27AM europe time, a time that both europe, asia and US east should be quite low on traffic.

A friend of mine mentioned the option of creating a static route. By asking others from my country with low lag to run a tracert, and then running a trace to the last node within the Netherlands on their list, it is not so hard to come up with a working route if i combine those 2.

Is that a good idea, is it the same as using a proxy server or will i run into different problems ?
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited June 2014
    Still going well now during prime trafic time ! b:pleased

Thank you sylen, it worked. Even though the route still the same, lag is now 400ms. pretty ok to me :)

Edit: wtf 5 mis after i post its back. 900ms..... so how about that static route ? :D
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2014
    Still going well now during prime trafic time ! b:pleased

Thank you sylen, it worked. Even though the route still the same, lag is now 400ms. pretty ok to me :)

Edit: wtf 5 mis after i post its back. 900ms..... so how about that static route ? :D
    Not sure on manually creating a static route, that's not something I've ever come accross. If it gets viewd like a proxy, it can cause your account to get banned though. I know we had a lot of issues a while ago with ISP's using "accelerator" technology with basically buffers your data through a farm of proxy servers.

As for the recent spikes, Archosaur is an East Coast server. I've been monitoring some real issues with the regional hub in San Jose, which is basically the last stop before it hits PWE's ISP routing. It's been causing a lot of people excess latency and disconnects over about the past week and a half. I've even done some throughput testing through there and it's returning half the speed that is should. Sadly, no one I've contacted has been able to do anything about it, but I'm still working with some guys at AT&T.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]