PWI PvP Tournament [Now with sign-up dates in red]

sparkiesoft
sparkiesoft Posts: 47
edited August 2014 in Official Announcements
Okay so based off feedback, here are some projected changes. Keep in mind that these can and probably will change.

Getting everyone in the same gear and on a brand new server for this event is not possible. We don't have the tools and we're more than likely not going to get support from China anyways.

So now that's out of the way, here are some changes.

Prizes: Top team will win $250 worth of Zen, that will be split among all members. Every participant however, will receive a Hyper EXP Stone.

- Servers: This event will only include Archosaur and Raging Tide. So only sign up if you are a part of these servers. When we do the next batch of servers, we will announce them similar to this.

- Everything goes, charms, pots, etc.

- It goes from being 1 v 1 duels, to 5 v 5 straight pvp.

- You have to create your own teams. There will also be a set limit of 2 of each class per team. (IE, no more than 2 clerics, sins, barbs, etc.)

-If we do it this way, the grand prize still remains, which means the winning team would have to split it with each individual.

- There is a 15 minute timer.

- If there should be a tie, both teams will elect 1 person from their team to duel each other. This will go for 5 minutes. Whichever player wins, wins for their team. This only happens if there is a tie in the 5 v 5.

- The event will start on the 28th of June

- Event sign-ups will start Monday 6/23/14 and will go to Wednesday 6/25/14.

I will start a brand new thread on Monday @ 12 Noon PDT that will allow you to sign up, so don't post here.

Time Zone Converter here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...0623T12&p1=224

Also, Remember that you can only have 5 team members, however you can add up to 3 people as back ups. When you sign up, make sure to distinguish who your main team is, along with team name, and your 3 back ups. Another thing to note is that no, you may not substitute out players during a match. If you progress and wish to substitute, you may, however we will not tell you the class make-up of the team you will be going against, so it is up to you to make the decision to substitute.

- Sign ups will be limited to 8 teams max, and will be first come first serve. We will announce in-game, on the forums, and social media. You will have 1 week to figure out your team and team name.

- On 6/23/14 @ 12 Noon PDT, we will start the sign-ups. (All of these dates will be announced well in advance)

-Lastly, this is the high tier bracket. The high tier bracket will consist of level 100-105, no gear restrictions. You are responsible for picking your team members, so you need to decide on who you take.

Edit: We would also highly suggest the use of 3rd party communication software, such as Teamspeak, Vent, Skype, or Mumble. This will allow you to coordinate with your team easier.

Free Communication Software

Mumble: http://www.mumble.com/get-mumble.php

Paid

Teamspeak: http://www.teamspeak3.com/
Ventrillo: http://www.instantventrilo.com/

Note: I chose to do the level 100-105 bracket/no gear restriction because it was the simplest way to do it for now. The game is too unbalanced to create multiple brackets, and we need a way to test if this event is worth running in the future. With that said, you have the option to not take anyone of a lower level if you choose, but that is up to you and your team.

Nobody will be left out. Even if the event does not work out as planned, we will revise it and continue doing it for the mid and low brackets, so everyone has a chance to participate and win.

Lastly, this is a test-run and should be treated as such. Everyone is still eligible for prizes, but the event may not work out as planned. That is okay! If it does not, but the community really likes it, we will revise and keep doing it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear
    Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No charms

Question...
    No charm = No HP Charm (e.g platinum guardian charm) or No defensive charm (Charm of Defence/Mystical Armor Charm)?

It's not real PvP without either of them :|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myishe - Dreamweaver
    Myishe - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    cool so the op cash shoppers can get themselves 250 dollars nice to see they can get some of the real life coin back they have put into gameb:chuckle
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd like to suggest another rule for your consideration: require all players to remove their cards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • sparkiesoft
    edited May 2014
    cool so the op cash shoppers can get themselves 250 dollars nice to see they can get some of the real life coin back they have put into gameb:chuckle

"Who Can Participate: Right now, we're going to use the higher level, higher geared players. As we continue to do this event, we will eventually do a middle and lower tier, consisting of mid-level/mid-geared, low-level/low-geared players."

b:pleased
  • SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver
    SerenityCNB - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    NOTE: THE PURPOSE OF WHAT I AM ABOUT TO WRITE IS NOT MEANT TO CRITICIZE. IT IS MEANT TO SHED LIGHT ON POTENTIAL SITUATIONS THAT MAY ARISE, AND TO POSSIBLY ALLOW FURTHER ELABORATION ON THIS TOPIC.

I would suggest deciding exactly what the factors are for deciding what constitutes a player being in a certain bracket. Gems, Refines, Gear, weapon procs, etc...all make a significant impact.

Also, some classes have a natural advantage against others without the use of flight, being airborne, or apoth.

One example is Sins ability stealth. (No anti-stealth apoth, and only 3 classes (mystics, seekers, and sins themselves) have an actual skill to detect a stealthed sin. The sin has the advantage of choosing the opportune moment to strike, while the defending player can only stand there, run, and wonder where the sin is.)

Genies: Some classes can be negated through a genie. At the same time, with no apoth, some classes need a genie to have a chance against other classes.

Also need to decide if a veno's bramble will be active in that pvp event.

After 5 mins, the person with the highest hp amount wins...so if a barb still has over 30k hp out of 40k, and a cleric has 8k out of 9k, would the barb win? Or if the cleric healed up to full before the end, would the cleric win? The only reason that I bring this point up is because we don't all go in with equal hp amounts, and there are other factors to consider...

I'm a one shot to all R9's anyways, as well as anyone of high refinement level. Those are just some things that I feel could you could elaborate on to help the player have a better idea of what the tournament will be like beforehand.
    "Male Player using female toon. Please don't flirt with me."

Need to see the cleric guide for questions, comments, or concerns? Just copy and paste the link.
    "http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1246011&quot;

(Ignore the quotation marks. URL isn't allowed, so I had to do it that way.)
  • GreenLegend - Archosaur
    GreenLegend - Archosaur Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "Who Can Participate: Right now, we're going to use the higher level, higher geared players. As we continue to do this event, we will eventually do a middle and lower tier, consisting of mid-level/mid-geared, low-level/low-geared players."

b:pleased

So will the reward be the same throughout?
    $250 worth of Zen per tier?

And back to the "No Charm" is that the HP/MP Charm? or Defensive Charms?
    In a duel, HP/MP Charms are disabled anyways, so I would then be assuming no defensive charms.

Lastly, thanks for your efforts, I hope I will be one and able to participate.
    Dreams are just dreams...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    >No charms and 1v1s
    That's terrible.

>Duels
    Dont strange things like certain skills bypassing immunities and such happen in those, but not in PK/TW/NW?

>No outside buffs
    What of Spirit of Defense/Offense during the battle? It wouldn't count since its technically their own item buffing the user (at the cost of no apoth for 2 minutes) and not someone else.

>No flying
    Why?

....And how would one determine what sort of brackets "endgame", "mid-game" and so on consist of? Soulforce?

Either way, Sins (able to kill even easier 1v1 because >No Charm) and those able to heal/kite with purify spell/chain immunities are going to be at a pretty big advantage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    XXHotXx - Morai Posts: 1,246 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    besides the fact that my server wont have this sort of event...

sparkie are you currently aware of the classes unbalance @ top tier\endgame especially in 1vs1 scenarios?

you will have an assassin easily winning each one of your tournaments b:chuckle
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

i58.tinypic.com/231jj8.jpg
  • sparkiesoft
    edited May 2014
    NOTE: THE PURPOSE OF WHAT I AM ABOUT TO WRITE IS NOT MEANT TO CRITICIZE. IT IS MEANT TO SHED LIGHT ON POTENTIAL SITUATIONS THAT MAY ARISE, AND TO POSSIBLY ALLOW FURTHER ELABORATION ON THIS TOPIC.

I would suggest deciding exactly what the factors are for deciding what constitutes a player being in a certain bracket. Gems, Refines, Gear, weapon procs, etc...all make a significant impact.

Also, some classes have a natural advantage against others without the use of flight, being airborne, or apoth.

One example is Sins ability stealth. (No anti-stealth apoth, and only 3 classes (mystics, seekers, and sins themselves) have an actual skill to detect a stealthed sin. The sin has the advantage of choosing the opportune moment to strike, while the defending player can only stand there, run, and wonder where the sin is.)

Genies: Some classes can be negated through a genie. At the same time, with no apoth, some classes need a genie to have a chance against other classes.

Also need to decide if a veno's bramble will be active in that pvp event.

After 5 mins, the person with the highest hp amount wins...so if a barb still has over 30k hp out of 40k, and a cleric has 8k out of 9k, would the barb win? Or if the cleric healed up to full before the end, would the cleric win? The only reason that I bring this point up is because we don't all go in with equal hp amounts, and there are other factors to consider...

I'm a one shot to all R9's anyways, as well as anyone of high refinement level. Those are just some things that I feel could you could elaborate on to help the player have a better idea of what the tournament will be like beforehand.
    So will the reward be the same throughout?
    $250 worth of Zen per tier?

And back to the "No Charm" is that the HP/MP Charm? or Defensive Charms?
    In a duel, HP/MP Charms are disabled anyways, so I would then be assuming no defensive charms.

Lastly, thanks for your efforts, I hope I will be one and able to participate.

Thanks for all the suggestions. First off, yes the prize will be the same throughout all brackets.

As for charms, all this will be in /duel format so charms should be disabled anyways, except defense charms if I'm correct? I'll have to look further into that.

For the 5 minute timer, we will probably switch to % based instead of straight HP. Also, if it's a close match, we may use a sort of boxing format. If it looks like one player took a beating but was able to heal all the way w/out doing little to the other player, then they wouldn't win, and the other way around.

I realize there will probably be class imbalances, and there won't be much I can do in that regard. I will however, probably start off everyone around 10m or so, to avoid giving classes unfair advantages.

Like I said, this is a work in progress and I appreciate all the feedback. I will continue to monitor this thread and see what we can change.
  • sparkiesoft
    edited May 2014
    besides the fact that my server wont have this sort of event...

sparkie are you currently aware of the classes unbalance @ top tier\endgame especially in 1vs1 scenarios?

you will have an assassin easily winning each one of your tournaments b:chuckle

Your CM's will be running this event as well, so you guys will have it.

As for class imbalance,I am aware, but I can only do so much. For sins, we'll have a rule in place that makes it so if they try to milk the 5 minute timer by hiding, they get DQ'd.
  • Cytte - Harshlands
    Cytte - Harshlands Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for all the suggestions. First off, yes the prize will be the same throughout all brackets.

As for charms, all this will be in /duel format so charms should be disabled anyways, except defense charms if I'm correct? I'll have to look further into that.

For the 5 minute timer, we will probably switch to % based instead of straight HP. Also, if it's a close match, we may use a sort of boxing format. If it looks like one player took a beating but was able to heal all the way w/out doing little to the other player, then they wouldn't win, and the other way around.

I realize there will probably be class imbalances, and there won't be much I can do in that regard. I will however, probably start off everyone around 10m or so, to avoid giving classes unfair advantages.

Like I said, this is a work in progress and I appreciate all the feedback. I will continue to monitor this thread and see what we can change.
    I dont really see how you can consider doing this with the game at this state but hey heres my 2 cents

1 no cards, seriously since the ticket staff cant be asked to not give portal sets to everyone with mediocre ms paint skills it'd be a horrid imbalace
    2 let charms be used, it will help offsett the severe class imbalance that exists, also because duels are pretty glitchy
    3 allow flying, i don't really see a reason not to have it, Ariel kiting > ground kiting
    4 You should allow farm-able appocs, not gb ones, which would deal with the sins hiding in stealth for the doublespark-innerharmony-mire-headhunt/elimation since you can get em in fer cheap

And no its not not probably. there are class imbalances especially at the endgame lvl, specifically primal passives mucking up all non-amp debuffs (cept demon ironwood), elimination and all the bull**** that skill is
    I <3 A lot of people
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I sure hope the best geared Cleric of each server enjoys their prize!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited May 2014
    I sure hope the best geared Cleric of each server enjoys their prize!

More like the Nuema Portal card set owners for HL and apparently DW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This sounds like so much fun, I'm super curious as how you're going to put people into tiered groups though.
    The difference between defeat and a win can be as simple as someone having a better card, slightly higher refines or a few shards more, unless people have EVERYTHING maxed, then it is hard to call their fights "equally geared".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • sparkiesoft
    edited May 2014
    We'll probably not allow cards either.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    May I highly suggest that the 250 golds prize should be sage/demon event golds, the most geared character on HL is a shared account and a LOT of people have access to accounts that don't belong to them with more geared chars than their own chars and I would HATE to see someone win 250 golds using someone else account so if it's 250 event golds then people will have no point to use other people accounts since there's nothing that can be trade from the event golds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited May 2014

Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Why would being able to heal yourself throughout without dealing much damage a DQer? You are aware that certain healing classes do less damage then let's say DD classes "skill gimped" and in that aspect I would think healing throughout is a win. As that is what the class was made for. Or are you saying you will upgrade damage on those classes?
    edited May 2014
    Why would being able to heal yourself throughout without dealing much damage a DQer? You are aware that certain healing classes do less damage then let's say DD classes "skill gimped" and in that aspect I would think healing throughout is a win. As that is what the class was made for. Or are you saying you will upgrade damage on those classes?

I assume he mean if example a cleric and a archer fight and then the cleric pass the 5 minutes standing healing himself without DDing on the archer than the archer would win.

Some fight might be tricky though, cleric can practically keep someone sleep/SOG forever, so what happen if a cleric just do that for 5 minutes in a row?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    First off Sparkie, let me applaud you for actually getting this event together. It's been YEARS since we had anything like this in the game!

Second, since you're planning on making this a bigger thing in the future, I would really try to convince your superiors to get some extra help with holding events of that size. Not just two GMs.

Third, good luck getting together more PvP and PvE GM run events in the future! It's great to have the GM's hanging out in the game again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not able to wear my armor without cards due to the Str requirement. Are you guys going to provide free restat notes to participants?
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey everyone,

So we here came up with a PVP tournament that we thought you would all like. This post will cover everything, and will be updated often up until the first match. With that said, we plan on doing PVE related events as well, so if PVP isn't your thing, don't worry!

So how is this going to work you ask? Well, since this is the first time we've ever ran something like this, we are still not entirely sure. That said, I will list out what the event entails, prizes, restrictions, etc.

The Event: The event will pit one player vs. another player in a duel. You must outmatch and outplay your opponent to move onto the next round. There will be a total of 16 players, and you must advanced through the brackets. if you succeed and beat everyone, you will win the grand prize. If you do not succeed, you will receive the consolation prize.

Date and Time: We plan to have our first set of matches on June 7th. Time is still TBD, but it will most likely start around the 10AM-Noon time frame.

Servers : Servers, what do you mean servers? Well since there will only be two of us running this event, we needed to split the servers up in order to make this efficient as possible. What this means is that we will run the event on two servers on June 7th. Once that is done, we will select another 2 servers for the next weekend we host this event. This means that while you may not get to participate on this particular weekend, you will definitely get a chance to participate on one of the later weekends. So what two servers did we choose first?

-Archosaur
    -Raging Tide

Who Can Participate: Right now, we're going to use the higher level, higher geared players. As we continue to do this event, we will eventually do a middle and lower tier, consisting of mid-level/mid-geared, low-level/low-geared players.

How many will the bracket hold? Right now, we're only doing 16, since it makes for an easy to manage bracket. We will consider increasing that limit as time goes by, but since this is a first run, we need to keep it manageable.

How to Participate: You will have to meet the appropriate level, character and gear wise, as well as belong to one of the servers listed. In this case, Arch or RT. When entries open, I will make a separate forum thread, will announce in-game, as well as post to Facebook and Twitter. If you're not already following those, you can do so by going here: https://www.facebook.com/PerfectWorldMMO or https://twitter.com/PWIChannel

Rules: Here are the rules, with probably more to follow. If you break any of these during the contest, you're out. No ifs, and's, or buts.
    • -No charms
    • -Only HP/MP potions allowed
    • -No outside buffs
    • -Failure to adhere to these rules counts as auto disqualification
    • -Duels will last no longer than 5 minutes. Should it exceed 5 minutes, the player with the most HP wins.
    • -No Flying
    • -Milking the timer, whether it be stealth or anything else will get you DQ'd.
    • -No Cards

Prizes: And what I'm sure you were all waiting for, prizes.

• -Consolation Prize: Each participant will win Hyper EXP stones regardless if they win or lose. (Amount TBD)
    • -Grand Prize: Top winner will win $250 worth of Zen (1 winner per server) If you make it to the final bracket and beat your opponent, this is what you will win!

I will continue to update this thread as needed and will post more info. in the coming days. For you EU players, your CM's have this template and will be running this event for you as well.

Edit: Probably helps I explain what the event actually is!

I think this would be a fantastic idea.... For another type of game payment model. The game isn't extremely unbalanced class-wise, but much, much more unbalanced due to the payment model of buy to win.

Cards are off-limits? What about meridians, since people can buy those? What about auto-potting? Apoth? Attack/defense charms? Genies?

I mean, let's be realistic here. There's absolutely no way to make this fair, and people are going to ride you about this for quite some time, sparkie. Class-balance aside, the way your company has decided to make profit from this title will make however this tournament is handled upsetting to players (especially the free to play players).

The problem resides in the fact that people can use a few digits on Mastercard/Visa/American Express/Discover, etc to get direct in-game bonuses & gold turned into coin for buying skills, gear, items, consumables, etc.

There's just no feasible option besides sending the players to a location where they are given the same new toon, same level, same exact gear/meridians/titles/skills/stats/cards/apoth/potting/etc as each other.

And since the above absolutely won't happen, people are going to call foul and say you are not making this fair to the players who don't all drop what all players drop in terms of cash (thousands of dollars).
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited May 2014

I'm not able to wear my armor without cards due to the Str requirement. Are you guys going to provide free restat notes to participants?

No, but there will be a restat note sale the week of. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

edited May 2014
    Oh yea that sounds really fun, though it sound like a lot of job for the 2 GMs, I suggest to both GM to record the fights so if a player accuse the other of cheating they can review the fight and check if it's the case, cause I'm sure some people will try to cheat to win and some cheat could be really hard to see. (like using a white tea pot at the same time than Master Li's skill)

EDIT: oh Asterelle remind me that I think I can't wear my gears either without my cards. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tsyfall
    tsyfall Posts: 9
    edited May 2014
    Congratulations, PWI. I'm glad that you're trying to revitalize the game, but ultimately your latest Tournament event for Raging Tides and Archosaur is a failure. There are too many things wrong with it for any amount of either server to participate or even appreciate it.
    The Event: The event will pit one player vs. another player in a duel.
    Let's start off with the format with this Tournament. Seriously? A duel? Is that the best Perfect World employees understand their own game? PvP is based massively around Guardian Charm HP restoration, and you just decide to leave that out? Charm-bypassing and heirobug, spiking damage to race an HP tick, taking extra risks to kill your opponent - these are all parts of HP gameplay, and you've just decided that a duel is "good enough." Good enough for a server event, or good enough for your ease of execution?

Look at all the problems:

Mystics can just self-heal their entire HP in 1 Blast. Last time I checked, a class like an archer can't do that.
    Clerics can just seal lock and sleep to win a fight. Look at Aeliah - Dreamweaver. Regarded by many as the best Elf Priest of all servers, he takes literally 1 minute to set up a combo that has a limited chance of success. Is that set-up going to be disallowed because it's "stalling"? Or are you going to let clerics only combo 5 times during the entire duel? What about for barbs who prefer the "long game"?

Actually, let's keep going with that, since this is a rant and I'm writing off the top of my head. Look:
    -Duels will last no longer than 5 minutes. Should it exceed 5 minutes, the player with the most HP wins.
    -Milking the timer, whether it be stealth or anything else will get you DQ'd.
    LOL. Just LOL. How sad can these rules get? There's no fair fight available. Watch, I can already come up with a strategy for autowin:

Play an EP that can tank. Play defensively with seal-lock combo, and if it doesn't work, then play more defensively. After all, these are GMs who think duels are legit PvP. They won't be able to tell whether an EP combo is legit or fake. Hell, I think most Perfect World employees won't even know what a proper EP combo is. Oh look, 10 seconds left in the duel. Sleep. Use Mark of Weakness through sleep, use Blasts to self-heal to max HP. Look, the cleric just won because they had higher HP. Pretty good loophole, right?

But there are ways to counter that loophole, right? No. NORMALLY, this wouldn't be the case. But look:
    -Only HP/MP potions allowed
    Hahahahahahahaha
    Only HP/MP pots allowed. Guess what, an HP pot can only heal so much. And guess what else? HP/MP pots only means no apoth - maybe even no genie. But guess what? Classes depend a ton on apoth. Sutra, Ironguard both help fabulously against things like Psychic Soul of Silence. Vacuity Powder prevents classes from getting stunlocked for more than 7.5 seconds. BUT NOPE, let's just not allow those.

And what happens if people aren't allowed to use genies? Lol? How much of PWI PvP is based around genie? Rhetorical question. All of it is. Faith, Absolute Domain, Fortify, Will Surge, Extreme Poison, all these tools that round out classes - nah, let's just ignore those. Because we're PWI GMs and we know about our own game. Right.

And what the f*** does no charms mean anyways? Did they mean defense/attack damage charms? Let's disallow those, I guess, and let other people 1-shot.

If they meant HP/MP charms, I'm just really disappointed. Those charms don't even work during a duel. In fact, I bet some participants don't know this either and are going to run out of mana during the fight because they didn't bring Herb Yuanxiao.
    Who Can Participate: Right now, we're going to use the higher level, higher geared players. As we continue to do this event, we will eventually do a middle and lower tier, consisting of mid-level/mid-geared, low-level/low-geared players.
    -Consolation Prize: Each participant will win Hyper EXP stones regardless if they win or lose. (Amount TBD)
    -Grand Prize: Top winner will win $250 worth of Zen (1 winner per server) If you make it to the final bracket and beat your opponent, this is what you will win!
    Fine, enough ranting about the fact that this is a duel. (A bit disappointing, isn't it? I had so much to cover: Bramble reflect, 1-shots, disallowing so many things, "stalling" vs legitimate strategy, self-heal, permanent stunlock).

So let's see. You're letting players compete without equal gear, and gear is just a massive advantage in this game. Skill almost doesn't even play a part now. Maybe 10%.

So obviously the winners are going to be the most geared players on each server. I bet a good 80% of each server can correctly already pick their "Tournament" winner, and those winners are going to be the most OP-equipment-provided people. And you're just going to give 250 gold to them. Congratulations. You're rewarding their cash-spending with more cash. Sounds like a rebate to me.

Oh, a consolation prize? As if any end-game player needs Hyper-Exp stones. Please. This is pathetic.
    Well, since this is the first time we've ever ran something like this, we are still not entirely sure.
    Looks a lot like it. Want some real suggestions?

1. Allow everything. **** duels. Make it a legit fight instead of a duel because you were too lazy to open Cloud Arena, write down 16 numbers, and port some players into a room. Or maybe this never happened?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6x-UIjD2Ts

2. Have some compensation factor for unequal gear, or even better, give participants equal gear, as in the International PvP tournament from a few years back. It's not hard. Even Asterelle knows how. Otherwise, as we all know, this is just going to be a WvW tournament. Wallet vs Wallet.

3. Better prizes. If you really don't want to do any of the above, make the prizes more spread out. Give 150 gold out as main prize, 50 to the loser of the 1st round, 25 to the other two losers of the penultimate rounds. Have more impetus for possibly more skilled yet lesser geared players to participate (they can win most of their rounds and lose the last, and still get a prize.) Or do you really think a JosD 3rd cast +12 character needs an additional 100 gold?

4. Have pre-selected, knowledgable, nonparticipating PvPers who can actually tell you what's going on. Pretty sure that none of you GMs even know the PvP-specific difference between the usage of Blade Tempest and Black Ice Dragon. Hell, I'd do it if you asked. I've seen actual tournaments on Perfect World - not this watered-down version that leaves a third of us giggling, a third of us facepalming, and a third of us committing seppuku with rusty spoons.

tl;dr
    This tournament doesn't make sense. The above reasons are a drop in the bucket.
    Sorry, sparkiesoft. You tried. I didn't appreciate your try. Nothing personal.

I'll rant about other stuff later.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    The PvP tournament is having gear tiers and all the different brackets will receive the same prize. :P

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Toraah - Archosaur
    Toraah - Archosaur Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited May 2014

So I can't use my cards, but other people get to use their jades.
    Makes sense GG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/user/xtorah - Assassin PK/TW/NW videos
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Is it really that hard to set up a separate server, give all equally maxed gears and pit skill vs skill and allow the full range of pvp mechanics to be used?

Furthermore, this should not be a 1v1 tournament; game is not balanced around 1v1. Make it a 10v10 team fight instead.
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • tsyfall
    tsyfall Posts: 9
    edited May 2014
    The PvP tournament is having gear tiers and all the different brackets will receive the same prize. :P

You're a player. Aren't you supposed to know the massive difference between +10 citrine R9R3 and +12 JosD R9R3, even though they are technically in the same gear bracket?
    So I can't use my cards, but other people get to use their jades.
    Makes sense GG

What about this?
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    tsyfall wrote: »
    You're a player. Aren't you supposed to know the massive difference between +10 citrine R9R3 and +12 JosD R9R3, even though they are technically in the same gear bracket?

I do but considering they haven't even said what the criteria is going to be to qualify for "highest tier," I think it's a bit early to assume the worst. There is a lot not set in stone yet, and obviously he's been taking input on the rules from this thread.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!