Sorry if this is offensive, but...

Options
howdydow
howdydow Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Barbarian
is there demand for tanky Barbs now?
I'm just thinking of getting back in the game, and a quick glance through the class forums seems to show that dps still gets aggro.
Not running down barbs in any way, just wondering if a) vit barbs are in demand for late-/end-game in the tanky/punching-bag role, b) claw or other dps barbs are in demand, or c) the tanking role has shifted to another class?
As I indicated before, no offense intended to anyone. I'm not even asking for a comparison of tanking efficiency. I actually quite like being the main damage absorber but just don't know what the game is like now and how long I might have to wait for random groups.
Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Testxvl - Sanctuary
    Testxvl - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Barbarians are still main tanks and pullers in a lot of situations from what I see (I'm sorry, not a barbarian myself), but there is also other classes that are able to tank and pull as well, depend if they are decent geared of course, and more or less know what they are doing lol. However, the instance "Flowsilver" the toad boss will 1-shot anyone that isn't a barbarian, no matter HP and defense. (There is of course ways to time immunity to do it without barb, but one single error can cause squad wipe, and therefore most still prefer barbarians in this case)
    What goes for build there is no must. I know pure str barbarians, pure vit, those that are mix, and aps barbarians. It is depend on what people prefer and how they like to play.
    The new rebirth system made a lot players try out new builds (for free as all stats are resetted, aka you wont have to buy any reset notes) to check out if they liked another build or not.
    This is a test
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If the only thing you want to do in a dungeon is tank, I'm sorry to give you the answer that IMO barbs should give the tanking role to stronger toons if there is such in a said dungeon. Why?

1) No need to fight from aggro > you can use chi for DDing
    2) You can assist squad with devour, frighten and still be a good AOE DD
    3) Especially claw barbs make for good DPS in most instances anyway

I wouldn't say vit barbs are in demand. I'd always recommend a str/claw build over vit one unless you want to go pull catas in TW. An averagely geared str-barb will be able to do any instance and also be a considerable threat in PVP, especially with the new primal world mighty swing upgrade.

Barbs are still wanted, but not necessarily needed to fill the tank role. However, in Flowsilver Palace there is a boss that 1-shots everyone in front except barbs - it's usually easier to have a barb tank at least that boss instead of having someone else to do it. On RT barbs are also wanted for Full Warsong, FC, sometimes higher TTs, Lunar, Aba/SOT especially weekly, AEU and delta.

Keep in mind there's also several "anti-aps" bosses in the game - these bosses have a buff that nerfs all melee autoattack damage. At these kind of bosses you have easy time keeping aggro from almost everyone. For other bosses best aggro method is indeed DPS but I'm also fine with my current build and hold aggro from most - if I don't hold aggro, they can tank it.

Oh and remember, as a barb you have easy time soloing such instances as PV and FC, even TT with claw-build (works with vit/str build too, trust me, just a lot slower).

My barb is still my main even though I'm not always needed to tank. I'm absolutely cool with it and love my toon nonetheless. Hope this was helpful.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear
    Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Buff **** >:|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • howdydow
    howdydow Posts: 2
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback, very helpful. Looks like I should be trying hard to boost my damage with my new barb as I get some more levels. Something new for me and hopefully fun.
  • Atropah - Sanctuary
    Atropah - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    howdydow wrote: »
    just wondering if a) vit barbs are in demand for late-/end-game in the tanky/punching-bag role, b) claw or other dps barbs are in demand, or c) the tanking role has shifted to another class?

a) Barbs have always been in demand. The issue are the players that think since they play the "tank class" they have to be the tank. If another class is more suited for it (say a well geared sin who holds aggro better as well as gets 8k hp every second from paint heals) then a stubborn barb is worse than no barb.

However, pwi has combated aps in many ways. First, they nerfed aps damage by 5% as well as made a forced miss 20% of the time. With power creep it didn't make a huge difference since your standard vit barbs dps is still around 40k and an aps toon is 200k+ but it made the whiners feel better.

Second, the recent bosses have almost all been [?] bosses so damage it reduced 75%. They also added an anti-melee buff to bosses so only ranged attacks and skills do full damage, auto attacks will only do about 1/6 their damage. On these bosses aps toons will do about 1/24th their dps, so many sins either use their bow or skills spam. New primal skills for sins are really hard hitting and spammable/macroable and pretty much permasparkable, though.

Third, they made most the new bosses have huge physical damage special attacks, even at range. This means that sins/casters that engage either need to be very endgame (NW gear+r9t3 with 15k+ hp) or burn apoths/genie to start the bosses.

Last, caster dps is higher than ever. They only need 100 stats per damage multiplier, while everyone else needs 150. So with rebirthing and engravings many casters have 800-1000 stat points meaning their dph (8-10 multiplers) is almost as high as aps dps (4 or 5 damage multipliers). They also have better base weapon damage growth, so endgame has been very good to them. Casters love a barb that can hold aggro or even just share aggro.

As Test mentioned, there is one boss in FSP that most squads will not attempt without a barb.

Other than that, the situation is as its always been. No one needs a barb, but runs often go faster and smoother with a tanky barb and with barb buffs. Often times your squishier tanks are fine tanking, but feel much more confident tanking with barb buffs and will insist on a barb in squad just for that reason. One thing people realized years ago is barbs might not be the best tanks for bosses but they're still one of the best pullers. People can load their squads full of aps toons but people are finally realizing most of a time spent in an instance is getting to the boss while the boss takes just a few seconds. A barb that can do large pulls, group mobs well, and hold aggro to move through an instance quickly is still very valuable.

b) I will always prefer a claw barb over a vit barb. There just isn't any reason why a barb should cut their damage and chi growth down so poorly for 8-10% more hp, except possibly for pvp. There just isn't anything a vit barb can do that a claw barb can't do better, although sometimes it takes a little more skill to do it with slightly less def/hp.

That being said, a good barb is a good barb. The 'holy trinity' of RPGs is tank, dd, and healer. With a 6 person squad you have a tank, a healer, and 4 DDs and with a 10 person squad you have 8 DDs. It really doesn't both me if a vit barb isn't contributing as much DD to the squad as I'd expect an aps barb to, because I have 4-8 more DDs also. I just want someone to pull, buff, maybe engage bosses, and to rescue us if things go wrong. For that you don't really need claws.

c) The pve content of this game was designed around tt90-tt99. Some of the instances have been updated to hit harder but there still is very little challenge in the pve of this game. For that reason anyone that wants to tank can tank. Its more about who you have in squad than what class, and communication is always your best option.
  • Asdecxxa - Lost City
    Asdecxxa - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    yes agree me
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    The issue are the players that think since they play the "tank class" they have to be the tank. If another class is more suited for it (say a well geared sin who holds aggro better as well as gets 8k hp every second from paint heals) then a stubborn barb is worse than no barb.

This is very true. As a high-geared mystic I *will* have agro. I just do too much damage. And I have the defenses to tank, so let me tank. Barbs that insist on being the tank keep resetting the agro, causing the boss to Ping-Pong back and forth. This confuses the clerics and messes with the melee DDs who have to keep running around. There are plenty of other things barbs can be doing to help the squad like Devour and Frighten then going all-out to try and hold agro.
  • SilverMayhem - Archosaur
    SilverMayhem - Archosaur Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    This is very true. As a high-geared mystic I *will* have agro. I just do too much damage. And I have the defenses to tank, so let me tank. Barbs that insist on being the tank keep resetting the agro, causing the boss to Ping-Pong back and forth. This confuses the clerics and messes with the melee DDs who have to keep running around. There are plenty of other things barbs can be doing to help the squad like Devour and Frighten then going all-out to try and hold agro.

Imo there are the people that ARE tanks and there are people that BUILD TANKY.

Theres a difference. Anyone can build tanky and call them selves a tank depending on Vit stat points and HP and what not but the role of Tank goes to the person with Aggro. And im not talking about using 1 skill pull aggro and then losing it. I have that happen with alot of classes. Does not mean they are tanks. Means they get Lucky Zerks, or High-End Crits on a well timed Debuff. With most AAs running around with a build of less than 20 Vit I dont think any barb in their right mind should safely LET another class tank, let alone an AA class.

Secondly, in response to the Ping-Pong. Get close to the barb .-. Obviously we are talking about a Melee boss. So Why are you ranged anyways? If you are an AA and are pulling aggro. Then run to the barb because if they need to do a quick aggro take Flesh Ream isn't a range skill >:

Next you want me to do Devour yet you don't want me to pull aggro. Read Devour, Pen. Armor and then tell me what I should do. About 6/10 of my FSP squads i can hold aggro with Spark and DPH out of kitty form with Pen. Armor (And a couple of Untamed Wrath) why? Because it builds Threat/Hate.

That being said, in my FSP squads I usually have the Insta Zerk Critters and such taking aggro on the first 2 bosses, then I'll hold aggro on Toad and the next. For Mushi I let anyone and every tank him until he goes Super Sayan, then I drop into kitty and start Devour and Flesh Ream and pull aggro.

"causing the boss to Ping-Pong back and forth." Boss can hurt anyone >.>
    "This confuses the clerics" Cleric, 9/10, are in BB. Cant confuse BB (Atleast i hope not b:shocked)
    "There are plenty of other things barbs can be doing" Yes, you got me in here to tank yet you are trying your hardest to pull aggro >: Then you die and I get "I hit too hard.." or "This barb can't hold aggro.." No, you wanna go all out and actually try your hardest to pull aggro on me.
    Logic = Against ToS. It's the answer to all "Wtf..." Moments during normal gameplay with other players.
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Obviously we are talking about a Melee boss. So Why are you ranged anyways?

Probabily because bosses will start using magic when they're being attacked by a ranged attacker lots of the times once you get to high level instances, and this is an AA. /obvious Same concept of why archers can tank a couple bosses in warsong.
    And if that's not the particular case with this boss... well, mystics can tank well. They just can, and it's amazing. It's not like anyone ever sources that they 'know about mystics' well enough to say they can't, either. *amused sputter*
    AAs should obviousily tank magic bosses, though, in relevance to the 'no bard in their right mind should let another class tank' comment. Come on. If not this is like BH59 failure all over again.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Imo there are the people that ARE tanks and there are people that BUILD TANKY.

Theres a difference. Anyone can build tanky and call them selves a tank depending on Vit stat points and HP and what not but the role of Tank goes to the person with Aggro. And im not talking about using 1 skill pull aggro and then losing it. I have that happen with alot of classes. Does not mean they are tanks. Means they get Lucky Zerks, or High-End Crits on a well timed Debuff. With most AAs running around with a build of less than 20 Vit I dont think any barb in their right mind should safely LET another class tank, let alone an AA class.

Secondly, in response to the Ping-Pong. Get close to the barb .-. Obviously we are talking about a Melee boss. So Why are you ranged anyways? If you are an AA and are pulling aggro. Then run to the barb because if they need to do a quick aggro take Flesh Ream isn't a range skill >:

Next you want me to do Devour yet you don't want me to pull aggro. Read Devour, Pen. Armor and then tell me what I should do. About 6/10 of my FSP squads i can hold aggro with Spark and DPH out of kitty form with Pen. Armor (And a couple of Untamed Wrath) why? Because it builds Threat/Hate.

That being said, in my FSP squads I usually have the Insta Zerk Critters and such taking aggro on the first 2 bosses, then I'll hold aggro on Toad and the next. For Mushi I let anyone and every tank him until he goes Super Sayan, then I drop into kitty and start Devour and Flesh Ream and pull aggro.

"causing the boss to Ping-Pong back and forth." Boss can hurt anyone >.>
    "This confuses the clerics" Cleric, 9/10, are in BB. Cant confuse BB (Atleast i hope not b:shocked)
    "There are plenty of other things barbs can be doing" Yes, you got me in here to tank yet you are trying your hardest to pull aggro >: Then you die and I get "I hit too hard.." or "This barb can't hold aggro.." No, you wanna go all out and actually try your hardest to pull aggro on me.

A tank to me is this:

Someone who can hold aggro, and survive while doing so.

There was (< keyword) far too many people capable of pulling aggro with a significant amount of ease, but were unable to withstand the onslaught of attacks from a boss.

Then you have people who are built to be a tank, but have an extraordinarily hard time holding aggro. To be honest my sage barb is like this, 25k hp, with an insanely rubbish weapon. I for one really do not mind letting others tank if they can hold aggro better/survive, also as long as they aren't total pricks about saying "I'm the tank"/its annoying when people accuse you of not doing something when you know that you did, its insulting, and when they don't apologize/acknowledge their wrong doing, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. (the one on the wrong end of the silly accusation.)

It is without a doubt very true that there are a few casters *COUGHPURIFYPROC* (to be fair most don't rely on purify proc to get rid of that debuff, on toad, but it sure is quite the useful/badass proc for pve) who are more than capable of being a full fledged tank on any given boss, but really if your going to give a barb a chance to tank, you need to let them have time to grab aggro.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    b) I will always prefer a claw barb over a vit barb. There just isn't any reason why a barb should cut their damage and chi growth down so poorly for 8-10% more hp, except possibly for pvp. There just isn't anything a vit barb can do that a claw barb can't do better, although sometimes it takes a little more skill to do it with slightly less def/hp.

That being said, a good barb is a good barb. The 'holy trinity' of RPGs is tank, dd, and healer. With a 6 person squad you have a tank, a healer, and 4 DDs and with a 10 person squad you have 8 DDs. It really doesn't both me if a vit barb isn't contributing as much DD to the squad as I'd expect an aps barb to, because I have 4-8 more DDs also. I just want someone to pull, buff, maybe engage bosses, and to rescue us if things go wrong. For that you don't really need claws.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but there is another build besides "cata-barb" and "claw barb". A STR build is perfectly viable, useful, does damage standing or in cat form. Same buffs, same tanking ability, and when you DD with lots of STR and axes, you get the benefit of axe and hammer mastery to do pretty good damage.

Just because you *prefer* claw barb over other builds doesn't mean you have to denegrate (or completely ignore) the other standard builds.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein