client refuses to use graphics card

sansmercii
sansmercii Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Support Desk
I downloaded this game on my "gaming" laptop to play. it has 1 dedicated gpu and an integrated gpu.

1. Intel HD 4600
2. Nvidia GTX 765M

I have tried almost everything to get the client to recognize my dedicated gpu. I've used Nvidia inspector to manually activate my gpu for the client. I have also tried to run the game with the gpu by making a shortcut and then right clicking and choosing run with the gpu. When I try to change the default gpu in the Nvidia control panel I don't even have the option to change it to the dedicated card. It's stuck on "Integrated graphics" and won't allow me to access the dropdown box to change it. My drivers are up to date so I know it's not that's not the problem either. Oddly enough though, I changed the preferred graphics card in the global settings to the dedicated card long ago and everything, including the Arc software opens up with the dedicated card EXCEPT the "elementclient.exe" program which, according to my task manager, is the program responsible for running the game.

I have no idea what to do to get this game to work and have been trying to figure out the answer for 3 days unable to post here on the forums because for some reason you can't post for 3 days after you sign up. Please help!! And thanks in advance :)
Post edited by sansmercii on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Angelica engine PWI uses doesn't utilize GPUs. All the graphics processing is done in the CPU. (It's a really old graphics engine.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • sansmercii
    sansmercii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Does that mean it's impossible for me to get the game to run at 60 FPS with high - ultra settings with my laptop at all? The processor is an intel i74700MQ. I do know that this game is rather old but when I start it up and it uses the integrated graphics I don't even get 30 fps when I run it at 1080P. What were people doing before integrated graphics existed? They haven't been building them into processors forever :S
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2014
    sansmercii wrote: »
    Does that mean it's impossible for me to get the game to run at 60 FPS with high - ultra settings with my laptop at all? The processor is an intel i74700MQ. I do know that this game is rather old but when I start it up and it uses the integrated graphics I don't even get 30 fps when I run it at 1080P. What were people doing before integrated graphics existed? They haven't been building them into processors forever :S
    Yeah, it pretty much does.

The best I've seen is high 45's. We're talking 12 CPU cores, 16GB RAM, and a GTX770ti running on SSD. Client has got everything it needs. It just can't use it. I'll be trying an even more powerful system running SLI as soon as I can get authorization to spend the cash.

The game was developed when a high-end video card only had 16-32MB of RAM. ALL the processing was done on the CPU. Since the engine for the client hasn't been updated, that's still the case. Hell, multi-core processors were only found on high-end workstations and servers back then, which is why it will only ever even use one CPU core. (And faking/forcing it doesn't work either, I've tried.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    None of you answered the original question. I had the same issue and made a thread on here about it (you can search for it). PWI would not use the nvidia graphics and was instead using the integrated graphics.

I resolved it by uninstalling both sets of graphics drivers and then installing the Intel drivers first, followed by the nvidia drivers. The game cones from an era where computers did not have multiple display adapters (it was at least very uncommon). It doesn't seem to have any logic built in to determine your primary display adapter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]