Arc is the worst idea in PW's history!

MisterReed - Dreamweaver
MisterReed - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Chronicles
Arc does not let me log in. It does not let me play the game. Barely anybody likes the Arc client. It slows my (possibly others, too) internet, and it's a bugger. It's a downright bad copy of Steam, and it does not help anybody. WHY did PWE chose to integrate Arc with Perfect World? WHY?!b:angry
Post edited by MisterReed - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Domethies - Raging Tide
    Domethies - Raging Tide Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Arc does not let me log in. It does not let me play the game. Barely anybody likes the Arc client. It slows my (possibly others, too) internet, and it's a bugger. It's a downright bad copy of Steam, and it does not help anybody. WHY did PWE chose to integrate Arc with Perfect World? WHY?!b:angry

Someone told me to remove a file called stringtab.txt from the files and it let me play the game again. Not sure if this counts as a t&s violation though, cause ya know its messing with the game files xD

But yeah ive asked and am waiting on a response from sparkie but removing that file worked for me :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    for me its not much of a difference with or without arc im bit lagging either with it or without it anyways
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I remember me some months ago saying that they probably had invested too much money on that project to cancel it. I still don't think they will remove it.
    But yeah it's probably the worst thing in PWE's history xD
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Alphaben - Raging Tide
    Alphaben - Raging Tide Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's a downright bad copy of Steam

Exactly what I thought about it...I mean a lot of the PWE games are already on steam so that could've just made it easier...

Also, there still seems to be a huge amount of problems with ARC...If it's a requirement to even load updates for the game, you'd think they would try to get game breaking bugs/glitches out of it first b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited April 2014

it doesnt let you login, actual login, seems you are the only person in entire game with that problem, so unlikely pwi fault

it slows your internet? no it doesnt unless you're on dailup

Why did they choose to integrate? if youre asking that question well then.. youre not in a position to be complaining here much

there are multiple reasons of the top of my head right now why they would want a system like arc (evne if some of these arent implemented yet arc provides the obvious framework for future implementation)

1. unified login system between games
    2. unified reward system (hey were DQ points glitchy or were they glitchy?, this should down the line fix those problems)
    2.b hey no more facebook **** jones/omalley nice built in reward system that is less likely to be glitchy/exploitable when its different for every game
    3. unified patching capabilities controlled by pwe not as reliant on every single game developer they publish
    4. built in links to support/help/ticketing system and forum, since 90% of people cant figure out how get to those normally (sadly not sarcasm)
    5. built in chat to promote keeping people in contact that change the titles they play or are on an alt thats not on FL but on same account, AMAZING! im sure youve never asked hey is player_x on an alt somewhere?
    6. overlay quick access to zen page- obvious benefit for pwe
    7. built in browser so if people have a screwed up one on their computer they can use in game one to acess pwe site
    8. possibility of unified anti cheat system between titles
    9. is a good piece of marketing/shows theyre serious about publishing both to investors and possible new games they want to publish

thats just off the top of my head, im sure a lot of it is backend stuff/ stuff didnt think of

im NOT saying im a fan of it, but its not just a dumb idea, from a business perspective its quite a good idea
  • Kalihira - Dreamweaver
    Kalihira - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I usually don't post on the forums but Arc has made me need to voice my discontent. As someone else has pointed out already, "this is just a bad copy of Steam." As well as copying Steam, it's also trying to be Facebook. I don't need another social media device, I'm good with the ones I have. I just wanna play a GAME that's it. Faction have sites and their own Facebooks pages already. I don't wanna to have look at 5 different sites. It lacks any kind of streamlining; why do I have sign in to Arc to buy Zen then get signed out then have to sign back in to Log Out? Also, why do I have REDOWNLOAD the client again? It's already installed and fully patched? Why can't Arc just autoexecute the patcher? And I have a very good computer, but what about the people that don't? How much more system resources is Arc+PWI gonna hog now? And the client is a resource hog without Arc. I feel sorry for the people with older PCs/Laptops. Welcome to MORE lag. I get why from a business PoV Arc is a good idea BUT (this is a BIG BUT) this should have been done ALOT better. As I stated, the streamlining is a major issue. Arc just feels less than half finished (I know it's in the Beta). This should have been more of a finished product before roll out. It MIGHT have been better received.

tl;dr
    Basically Arc is a step backwards for PWE. Get rid of it, we don't want. Or do some amazing fixs.

Then again I'm not sure why I wasted the time to write this. It's not like the dev's listen to the player base anyways. Oh, right... I'm waiting for the client to download again.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That's funny, people without Arc can still play and some people with Arc can't. GG PWI. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    @Mosz - Heavens Tear you're right in your ideas.

But this doesn't justify making Arc mandatory tho.

Doesn't justify the inability to close Arc once game is running or disable the overlay.

If Arc ever gives me option to close it after game is running AND disable the overlay (without even running arcosoverlay.exe), then I will surely use it to patch/launch the game, why not.

But while it still runs needlessly on my computer I WILL bypass it.

They can think of an 'integrated cross game comunity/platform' but they must also consider many (if not most) people play only 1 of their games, at most 2, and don't have any utility for the arc stupid overlay. I, as well as many people prefer 10000 of times go to chrome to purchase zhen (where you can check for HTTPS green token and view validity of the certificate) than using Arc built-in browser/overlay.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Show your (dis)support on the appropriate thread, no need for any more of these threads.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1683301

Closing this.
This discussion has been closed.