Quotes...

JustAllEvil - Harshlands
JustAllEvil - Harshlands Posts: 340 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic Discussion
What are your favorite quotes?

"It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing."
Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

"You think following the rules will buy you a nice life, even if the rules make you a slave."- Malcolm Reynolds (from Firefly)

“Words can be like x-rays if you use them properly - they'll go through anything.”
― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
Sometimes snarky, but will always bake you cupcakes.
Post edited by JustAllEvil - Harshlands on

Comments

• Rayne_ - Harshlands
    Rayne_ - Harshlands Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Tranquility of the soul is the desire of nothing.
    - Secret Of Mana

By morality, the individual is taught to become a function of the herd, and to ascribe to himself value only as a function.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

You must never fight with your opponent too often, or you will teach him all you art.
    -Napolean

-snip-

Such as are our habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of our mind; For the soul is dyed by the thoughts.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Like most existentialists, he wasn't very social.
    -Unknown

A man never discloses his own character more clearly than when he describes another's.
    -Unknown

Man is the one creature on earth that is born knowing he will die, and that is an appalling intellectual burden.
    -Piers Anthony

In seeking light we are all blinded by it. It is what is beyond the light that should concern us: For the light shines out of a darkness which cradles us continuously. One must descend into the darkness to see beyond the light.
    -The Qabala Of 50 Gates
    "What man would go into the dark without a light?"
    "That's a silly question. What man would go into the dark?"
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ''People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like'' -Clive Hamilton

''I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.'' -Marilyn Monroe

''When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.'' -John Lennon

''Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.'' -Unknow

''Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty.'' -Stephen King
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Sparafucile - Harshlands
    Sparafucile - Harshlands Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ''Ya lily-livered, bow legged idjit!'' Y. Sam

See also my sig, that's an Oscar Wilde quote.

Nietzsche was a jerk, utterly selfish and with no compassion for others. Personally I think he was a sociopath...

Piers Anthony thinks we are born with the knowledge that we will die? I think that would be a remarkable feat of intellect for a newborn baby.
    I have Luke Skywalker on a wibble-wobble; your argument is invalid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Some people cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go.
    Don't call me a care bear; I don't care whether you can bear me or not

Sparafucile: SweetieBot, pple is NOT a word
    SweetieBot: Your face is not a word
  • Testxvl - Sanctuary
    Testxvl - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Saw some quote in my own language many years ago, but original sounds like;
    "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up"

Normally I'm not much into this kinda stuff, but it's the only quote I ever remembered and which impressed me.
    This is a test
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My favourite quote of all time is probably this one:

"When it's dark enough you can see the stars." - Persian proverb

It can be interpreted in many ways.
    When you're going through the worst, that's when your true friends will shine.
    When you're going through the worst, that's when you'll realize how valuable the things you have are (can be anything from friends to family to current life status).
    When you're going through the worst, that's when you appreciate things that you otherwise wouldn't.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Great idea for a thread! Although as a reminder guys please keep religious, political, such type things out of the discussion.

“Everything in moderation, including moderation.” -Oscar Wilde

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again." -Unknown

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" -George Carlin

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Apple Inc

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -Socrates

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" -C.S. Lewis

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. -Mohammed Ali

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Geckofreak - Sanctuary
    Geckofreak - Sanctuary Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Kossy go make list of greatest forum quotes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Kossy go make list of greatest forum quotes!

... No. I'm not quotable enough to qualify.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • FieryBlade - Harshlands
    FieryBlade - Harshlands Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "You only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime" - Eminem
    [SIGPIC]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x102q90/690/fierybladesigna.png[/SIGPIC]

Sig made by me f:sneakyf:despise

I don't have a bad attitude, I just have a personality you don't like
  • Evalria - Sanctuary
    Evalria - Sanctuary Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One of my absolute favorites is this one:

“If nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that--warm things, kind things, sweet things--help and comfort and laughter--and sometimes merry, kind laughter is the best help of all.”

From Frances Hodgson Burnett.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JustAllEvil - Harshlands
    JustAllEvil - Harshlands Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    “It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.” -Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

"I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka"!- Dr. Horrible

“It is not much better to fall honourably in defence of liberty, than be again exposed to the outrages of Romans? Such, at least, is my resolution; as for you men, you may, if you please, live and be slaves!”- Queen Boadicea

"Otherwise, my advice is: stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience prove you wrong; remember, when the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked; the truth and a lie are not “sort of the same thing”; and there is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can’t be improved with pizza. Thank you.”- Daria
    Sometimes snarky, but will always bake you cupcakes.
    edited March 2014
    ''If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer'' - N E Engineer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things -- not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that challenge is one that we're willing to accept, one that we're unwilling to post-pone and one we intend to win." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Here's a collection that I love.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • opkossy
    edited March 2014
    If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, there's going to be one big-*** fight over where to set the thermostat.
    -Jim Rosenberg
    edited March 2014
    ''Many a mickle makes a muckle'' - trad. English
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• opkossy
    edited March 2014
    So if I don't go to that site, they will not feed someone who they otherwise would have? -- Jeffrey L. Bell

Yep.

And they'll show them a picture of your face, any web presences you might have, and how you spend your leisure time. They'll give the starving person your name and address and a bus ticket (and/or plane ticket) and a map and send them off. One day, you'll be kicking back at home, playing Nintendo and gorging yourself of sticky handfuls of Fiddle-Faddle, when the doorbell will ring. You'll answer it and find, standing on your doorstep, a tiny waiflike third-world child, all big eyes and protruding ribs, who will sniffle, shed a single tear, say, "Why?" and expire in front of you.

So that's why you ought to go click.

Josh Brandt
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited March 2014

In the spirit of the Arnold Schwarzenegger video, some of my favorite movie insults, that also don't conflict with forum rules lol. So unfortunately, it'd be hard to include Full Metal Jacket, haha.

"You are a worthless street rat. You were born a street rat. You will die a street rat, and only your fleas will mourn you!" -Aladdin

"Mr. Madison, what you have just said, is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."-Billy Madison

"Sit your five dollar *** down, before I make change." New Jack City

"There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society.....outside of a kennel." The Women

"They're just pissing on us, without even the courtesy of calling it rain." -Avatar

"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." -Princess Bride

"You are a sad, strange little man. You have my pity." -Toy Story

• Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited March 2014

In the spirit of the Arnold Schwarzenegger video, some of my favorite movie insults, that also don't conflict with forum rules lol. So unfortunately, it'd be hard to include Full Metal Jacket, haha.

Lol! Full Metal Jacket was so awesome..... Can't you give us one lil' quote? :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • opkossy
    edited March 2014
    It seems that there are two different sorts of people: People who care about the important stuff--like if a job gets done, and if it gets done well--and clueless ****ing morons who wouldn't know a job well done if it bit them on the ***, and so think that "professionalism" is a better indicator of the quality of work.

Dave Brown
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited March 2014
    Lol! Full Metal Jacket was so awesome..... Can't you give us one lil' quote? :3

Did your parents have any children who lived?.....I bet they regret that. You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece. -Full Metal Jacket

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    "I've never understood why people complain about content but then skip content... >.>" ~Decus

"You've played too much PWI when you find yourself unexpectedly becoming a father, and your first thought is that you lagged and that's why you couldn't pull out in time" ~Decus.

I miss him b:surrenderb:cry
  • Rayne_ - Harshlands
    Rayne_ - Harshlands Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Time passes, people change. Like a river's flow it never ends. A childish mind will turn to noble ambition, young love will become deep affection. The clear water's surface reflects growth."
    -Sheik, The Legend Of Zelda 64

"I rely not so much on the wisdom of age, but the overconfidence of youth"
    -Flavor text on a Magic Card

"Courage is not the absence of Fear, it is the judgement that something else is more important than Fear"
    - Ambrose Bierce
    "What man would go into the dark without a light?"
    "That's a silly question. What man would go into the dark?"
    edited March 2014
    ''Is this your minkey?'' - Insp. J. Clouseau

''My timing is digital'' - Lt Cmdr Data
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]