[Maintenance Discussion]-3-5-14 COMPLETE

Comments

• Terrorbyte - Lost City
    Terrorbyte - Lost City Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do I like PvP? No, not really. But I very much could have with this game.

What Perfect World is, what it is at its core, is a great MMO that's centred around an excellent PvP system. It has all the tools, responsive gameplay and variety needed for PvP to be brilliant, fun and engaging.

Even if you disregard the history of awful glitches that have caused drama on the forums and in world chat alike, you cannot consider the PvP situation in this version of Perfect World to be fair and balanced. In a situation where full R9 gear was much easier to farm and acquire without real money, there would be a much more interesting PvP situation at endgame - because without devoting over 3,000 hours or more to farming their endgame gear and doing over 7 different daily quests a day per toon, they would actually have time to PK.

R9 gear would not even be the balance issue that it has become if it was possible - aside from the dubious claims of some - to be fully farmed now that it has no link to easier farming methods. Yes, you CAN farm your R9, at least the ring and weapon, within a year maybe unless you figure out some great merchant opportunities and/or spend your free time making spreadsheets of what's available for what price like friends of mine do (instead of playing and enjoying the game). But full R9, stage 3, +12, with shards to match the best geared folk, completed meridians, and S cards to match? That's just not on most people's radar. This is clearly an intentional design choice by the company behind PWI. Every intelligent player knows it, and many of us have been made even less interested in PvP than we originally were because of this pay to win culture.

That is NOT to say that in PWI PvP you cannot overcome a cash shopped player as a free to play like myself. Whether or not you yourself can do this, and whether or not I can, the balance issue remains. Donating to the game's continuing running is a good deed for the rest of the server, yes. So why is it that these people benefit so much that it impedes the server's PvP culture and frequency for everyone, rather than something a little smaller? There is such potential in the core of the game that we have here, and it has mostly been wasted due to this aspect.

Instead, most of the game, especially on a PvE server like HT, is quiet on PvP, aside from very safe situations like dueling. This is not at all due to it being a PvE server, because by those standards HT had quite active PK in earlier times. It is due to even worse moves towards imbalance in the game, it is due to cultures that resemble the real life social classes of elite, middle, and poor class developing into greater extremes in the game.

To PWI, regarding your version of the game: in making cash often necessary - at least to such a drastic extent - to defeat the strongest threats in PvP, you have granted all the richest, most sociopathic, least moralistic, greediest, least interesting, least intelligent, spoilt pieces of work all the best power. Let's face it, you would have to be either rich, obsessive, a spoilt child and/or have some strange sense of ethics to come by enough disposable income to just toss thousands of dollars at this game on items that will disappear from existence when it eventually ends.

Does the aforementioned handout make the PvP experience more likely to be a) a fun match between friends, or b) a match between hatred slinging trash talkers/a stampede of hatred over the nicer person? Does this make PvP an attractive experience to good sportsmen, or to folk who prefer to capslock, complain, talk big, world chat made up rumours, hate entire communities...? I think the answer is obvious. Not to say that nice people never PvP or PK, quite the opposite - it is a tendency I have noticed, only, and it is more of a problem with design than the playerbase. In other games, where the trash talker type who thinks they are the Light's gift to mankind can have their *** handed to them instead of hide behind 50k hp, they are not so vitriolic. I know this very well, because unlike some here, I have played other games for a long time before I came here.

Just in case I get the usual kind of response to this point being brought up as in game in world chat... It's not a realistic response to this to say, "If you don't like it, quit the game." People are sucked into MMOs for reasons other than their casual liking for every aspect of it, i.e. social aspects, duties to communities you may run, time with family or real life friends who have moved away. We have an investment too, even if it does not involve cash, in any game we enjoy playing. If you are one of those who don't want the game to be improved by realistic if negative feedback, YOU quit. Almost the same goes for those who say "switch to a PvP server if you like PvP". People can have commitments to communities and situations more complex than you may assume.

Finally, there is another problem that keeps PvP from being frequent right now and we all need to face it. PWI needs more new players, that have never played before if it is to continue to stay engaging and worth playing. That goes for PvE as well. PvE factions - which do bring benefits to the full community of any PWI server by continuing to help and instruct new players - are having a hard enough time as it is, with the decrease in newbies who need to learn and grow their way up. So fix the game and then let's talk about PvP again, shall we?

Took me a while but I read it all and while I don't agree to everything you said, this is for definite the most thought out well composed response covering some serious issues in the game and I'd really like sparkiesoft to respond to this one personally, probably just going to point the finger up the line at China ultimately but it's worth saying.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    i like urs to

Your sig lies. Enrage are a bunch of carebears who never had anything to do with any drama on HT ever. b:cute

And if anyone here believes a word of that or took it even slightly seriously, I have this bridge over here I'd like to sell them.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    TZoner - Raging Tide Posts: 1,764 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really don't see all the raging about arc. It's really not even that bad. I highly doubt they're going to take away our elementclient.exe for a while anyway. so we'll worry about it when it comes.

PS: if people wanna play badly enough they'll use it to open it if they have to. We've seen people quit over some dumb chit and come back time and time again >.>

Arc is just a stupid idea full of safety issues and from what i have HEARD...(possibly a false rumor) PWE is selling it....idk for sure but lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xinnz - Heavens Tear
    Xinnz - Heavens Tear Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hurry up servers! Dx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwcalc.com/ea8859329e47bb43
    456 fashion items and counting
    #1 Adversity - tinyurl.com/Xinversity b:thanks
  • Bosk - Sanctuary
    Bosk - Sanctuary Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do I like PvP? No, not really. But I very much could have with this game.

-- Snipped for brevity --

Finally, there is another problem that keeps PvP from being frequent right now and we all need to face it. PWI needs more new players, that have never played before if it is to continue to stay engaging and worth playing. That goes for PvE as well. PvE factions - which do bring benefits to the full community of any PWI server by continuing to help and instruct new players - are having a hard enough time as it is, with the decrease in newbies who need to learn and grow their way up. So fix the game and then let's talk about PvP again, shall we?

I **DID** read it .. the whole thing. Sheesh, you would think reading was a chore or something.

Good points btw.
    Dante: "Cute is a relative term."
  • Zytreta - Harshlands
    Zytreta - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i agree

some1 go read it and shortcut into mayby 6 lines ?

Lets make out b:dirty
  • Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    +1 for your title there on the side.

i see a fab <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    But at least there is still a city xD....PWI would be just an empty corpse save for a few people in each server duking it out claiming to be king.....hmm maybe i will stay then i like the sound of King TZoner Ruler of RT.

Hyenas, vultures and others will be celebrating that day. Hmm, can't say it will be like the final round of Battle Royale, though... but again...
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    Quinnie - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OPKossy wrote: »
    Your sig lies. Enrage are a bunch of carebears who never had anything to do with any drama on HT ever. b:cute

And if anyone here believes a word of that or took it even slightly seriously, I have this bridge over here I'd like to sell them.

carebears in not caring bout others b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zytreta - Harshlands
    Zytreta - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    totally agreed

Make out with me b:dirty
  • ChocoMia - Archosaur
    ChocoMia - Archosaur Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here's the server status:

West Coast Servers:
    Sanctuary (PVE) (pwigc2.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Heaven's Tear (PVE) (pwigc4.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Lost City (PvP) (pwigc3.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Archosaur (PvE) (pwiwest4.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE

East Coast Servers:
    Harshlands (PvP) (pwieast1.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Dreamweaver (PvE) (pwieast2.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Raging Tide (PvE) (pwieast3.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE

European Servers:
    Morai (PvE) (pwieu3.en.perfectworld.eu): OFFLINE

SweetieBot can u gimme 10b after maintenance b:cute b:kiss
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited March 2014

SweetieBot can u gimme 10b after maintenance
    I could, but what would be the point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Muah - Heavens Tear
    Muah - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hurry up servers! Dx

make them come back online D:< I got some farming to do damit!! b:cute
    ~Mrs. Curry~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Since 7/4/09
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    edited March 2014
    I could, but what would be the point?

Someone has jokes xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    noob question: why is this page's time different from PST?... in-game time as well is not PST,i guess cause im on east coast server but as long as u relating all to PST why u just dont show up the PST time only cause,after all is the only one that matters?...ijs i know its not complicated to figure the PST time but why should be all complicated when it could be simple? b:surrender

What do you mean by that? Forum time here is in PST, just like west coast servers.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • SilvaZodiac - Heavens Tear
    SilvaZodiac - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    boudevaca wrote: »
    Too much free time you have , dude.

Not really, it's just been in my mind a while, wrote that in maybe 5 minutes. I don't post often.

I prefer to post something of quality than to toss assumptions at people or just give knee jerk reaction posts instead of responding on points.
    ~pounces Syl~ isnt it getting late for u?

Nope, it's 9:30PM. But thank you, Ari. ^^
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2014
    sweetiebot what should i eat for lunch ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    Fabuleux - Lost City Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Arc is just a stupid idea full of safety issues and from what i have HEARD...(possibly a false rumor) PWE is selling it....idk for sure but lol

I really dont know anyone who have had the safety issues of arc that people have been throwing into the threads. I call BS and scare tactics!
    i see a fab <3

I see a Vedo <3
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited March 2014
    sweetiebot what should i eat for lunch ?
    Eat whatever you like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands

• Fabuleux - Lost City
    edited March 2014
    Not really, it's just been in my mind a while, wrote that in maybe 5 minutes. I don't post often.

I prefer to post something of quality than to toss assumptions at people or just give knee jerk reaction posts instead of responding on points.

Nope, it's 9:30PM. But thank you, Ari. ^^

I smell a NSW, VIC or TAS resident >.>
  • clyknight
    clyknight Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why does it take so long to install what comes down to spelling corrections - the update isn't that big but maintenance is coming day later and taking longer b:sad
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    edited March 2014
    Important question: Does dayquill have an expiration?....i just drank some and boy oh boy that aftertaste just doesnt seem right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really dont know anyone who have had the safety issues of arc that people have been throwing into the threads. I call BS and scare tactics!

I see a Vedo <3

lets spam ws for badgessssss

..i also gotta spam me some abaddon for books D=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    edited March 2014
    SweetieBot can confirm the servers are back up! Yay!

Here's the server status:

West Coast Servers:
    Sanctuary (PVE) (pwigc2.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 133ms)
    Heaven's Tear (PVE) (pwigc4.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 100ms)
    Lost City (PvP) (pwigc3.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 95ms)
    Archosaur (PvE) (pwiwest4.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 92ms)

East Coast Servers:
    Harshlands (PvP) (pwieast1.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 21ms)
    Dreamweaver (PvE) (pwieast2.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 21ms)
    Raging Tide (PvE) (pwieast3.perfectworld.com): ONLINE (Ping: 32ms)

European Servers:
    Morai (PvE) (pwieu3.en.perfectworld.eu): ONLINE (Ping: 106ms)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2014
    servers are up and running b:victory

sweetiebot beated me =(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited March 2014
    Servers are open!
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Eat whatever you like.

Sweetiebot isn't picky, but not very helpful on that either... I just hope it's not trolling again.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    edited March 2014
    lets Spam Ws For Badgessssss

..i Also Gotta Spam Me Some Abaddon For Books D=

Girl. Aba Scary> But I Need Sin Books From It Q_q

I'll be on my veno Noxioua. PM me when in >.>
  • Ooelectaoo - Heavens Tear
    Ooelectaoo - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2014

ive had arc for a year and have had absolutly no safety issues at all. i have had no problems with arc lagging or shutting down any more then i did before arc. tbh i've had less 'errors' since d/ling it a year ago
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    edited March 2014
    My client is NOT opening...im about to get pissed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]