[Maintenance Discussion]-3-5-14 COMPLETE

Options

Comments

• Zytreta - Harshlands
    Zytreta - Harshlands Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I always thought they extended the estimation to 3 hours because they were having issues with making the 2 hour time frame before. That way when it was done in less than 3, they looked like they knew what they were doing b:chuckle

Hahaha totally! But it's a new staff now.. I assume they're right outta grade school? xP but seriously.. most MMOs state like a 6 hour maint... MONTHLY.. and they finish in 4 hours and everyone loves them.
    Do I like PvP? No, not really. But I very much could have with this game.

What Perfect World is, what it is at its core, is a great MMO that's centred around an excellent PvP system. It has all the tools, responsive gameplay and variety needed for PvP to be brilliant, fun and engaging.

Even if you disregard the history of awful glitches that have caused drama on the forums and in world chat alike, you cannot consider the PvP situation in this version of Perfect World to be fair and balanced. In a situation where full R9 gear was much easier to farm and acquire without real money, there would be a much more interesting PvP situation at endgame - because without devoting over 3,000 hours or more to farming their endgame gear and doing over 7 different daily quests a day per toon, they would actually have time to PK.

R9 gear would not even be the balance issue that it has become if it was possible - aside from the dubious claims of some - to be fully farmed now that it has no link to easier farming methods. Yes, you CAN farm your R9, at least the ring and weapon, within a year maybe unless you figure out some great merchant opportunities and/or spend your free time making spreadsheets of what's available for what price like friends of mine do (instead of playing and enjoying the game). But full R9, stage 3, +12, with shards to match the best geared folk, completed meridians, and S cards to match? That's just not on most people's radar. This is clearly an intentional design choice by the company behind PWI. Every intelligent player knows it, and many of us have been made even less interested in PvP than we originally were because of this pay to win culture.

That is NOT to say that in PWI PvP you cannot overcome a cash shopped player as a free to play like myself. Whether or not you yourself can do this, and whether or not I can, the balance issue remains. Donating to the game's continuing running is a good deed for the rest of the server, yes. So why is it that these people benefit so much that it impedes the server's PvP culture and frequency for everyone, rather than something a little smaller? There is such potential in the core of the game that we have here, and it has mostly been wasted due to this aspect.

Instead, most of the game, especially on a PvE server like HT, is quiet on PvP, aside from very safe situations like dueling. This is not at all due to it being a PvE server, because by those standards HT had quite active PK in earlier times. It is due to even worse moves towards imbalance in the game, it is due to cultures that resemble the real life social classes of elite, middle, and poor class developing into greater extremes in the game.

In making cash often necessary - at least to such a drastic extent - to defeat the strongest threats in PvP, you have granted all the richest, most sociopathic, least moralistic, greediest, least interesting, least intelligent, spoilt pieces of work all the best power. Let's face it, you would have to be either rich, obsessive, a spoilt child and/or have some strange sense of ethics to come by enough disposable income to just toss thousands of dollars at this game on items that will disappear from existence when it eventually ends.

Does the aforementioned handout make the PvP experience more likely to be a) a fun match between friends, or b) a match between hatred slinging trash talkers/a stampede of hatred over the nicer person? Does this make PvP an attractive experience to good sportsmen, or to folk who prefer to capslock, complain, talk big, world chat made up rumours, hate entire communities...? I think the answer is obvious. Not to say that nice people never PvP or PK, quite the opposite - it is a tendency I have noticed, only, and it is more of a problem with design than the playerbase. In other games, where the trash talker type who thinks they are the Light's gift to mankind can have their *** handed to them instead of hide behind 50k hp, they are not so vitriolic. I know this very well, because unlike some here, I have played other games for a long time before I came here.

Just in case I get the usual kind of response to this point being brought up as in game in world chat... It's not a realistic response to this to say, "If you don't like it, quit the game." People are sucked into MMOs for reasons other than their casual liking for every aspect of it, i.e. social aspects, duties to communities you may run, time with family or real life friends who have moved away. We have an investment too, even if it does not involve cash, in any game we enjoy playing. If you are one of those who don't want the game to be improved by realistic if negative feedback, YOU quit. Almost the same goes for those who say "switch to a PvP server if you like PvP". People can have commitments to communities and situations more complex than you may assume.

Finally, there is another problem that keeps PvP from being frequent right now and we all need to face it. PWI needs more new players, that have never played before if it is to continue to stay engaging and worth playing. That goes for PvE as well. PvE factions - which do bring benefits to the full community of any PWI server by continuing to help and instruct new players - are having a hard enough time as it is, with the decrease in newbies who need to learn and grow their way up. So fix the game and then let's talk about PvP again, shall we?

Too long did not read?
  • Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver
    Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

What Perfect World is, what it is at its core, is a great MMO that's centred around an excellent PvP system. It has all the tools, responsive gameplay and variety needed for PvP to be brilliant, fun and engaging.

Even if you disregard the history of awful glitches that have caused drama on the forums and in world chat alike, you cannot consider the PvP situation in this version of Perfect World to be fair and balanced. In a situation where full R9 gear was much easier to farm and acquire without real money, there would be a much more interesting PvP situation at endgame - because without devoting over 3,000 hours or more to farming their endgame gear and doing over 7 different daily quests a day per toon, they would actually have time to PK.

R9 gear would not even be the balance issue that it has become if it was possible - aside from the dubious claims of some - to be fully farmed now that it has no link to easier farming methods. Yes, you CAN farm your R9, at least the ring and weapon, within a year maybe unless you figure out some great merchant opportunities and/or spend your free time making spreadsheets of what's available for what price like friends of mine do (instead of playing and enjoying the game). But full R9, stage 3, +12, with shards to match the best geared folk, completed meridians, and S cards to match? That's just not on most people's radar. This is clearly an intentional design choice by the company behind PWI. Every intelligent player knows it, and many of us have been made even less interested in PvP than we originally were because of this pay to win culture.

That is NOT to say that in PWI PvP you cannot overcome a cash shopped player as a free to play like myself. Whether or not you yourself can do this, and whether or not I can, the balance issue remains. Donating to the game's continuing running is a good deed for the rest of the server, yes. So why is it that these people benefit so much that it impedes the server's PvP culture and frequency for everyone, rather than something a little smaller? There is such potential in the core of the game that we have here, and it has mostly been wasted due to this aspect.

Instead, most of the game, especially on a PvE server like HT, is quiet on PvP, aside from very safe situations like dueling. This is not at all due to it being a PvE server, because by those standards HT had quite active PK in earlier times. It is due to even worse moves towards imbalance in the game, it is due to cultures that resemble the real life social classes of elite, middle, and poor class developing into greater extremes in the game.

In making cash often necessary - at least to such a drastic extent - to defeat the strongest threats in PvP, you have granted all the richest, most sociopathic, least moralistic, greediest, least interesting, least intelligent, spoilt pieces of work all the best power. Let's face it, you would have to be either rich, obsessive, a spoilt child and/or have some strange sense of ethics to come by enough disposable income to just toss thousands of dollars at this game on items that will disappear from existence when it eventually ends.

Does the aforementioned handout make the PvP experience more likely to be a) a fun match between friends, or b) a match between hatred slinging trash talkers/a stampede of hatred over the nicer person? Does this make PvP an attractive experience to good sportsmen, or to folk who prefer to capslock, complain, talk big, world chat made up rumours, hate entire communities...? I think the answer is obvious. Not to say that nice people never PvP or PK, quite the opposite - it is a tendency I have noticed, only, and it is more of a problem with design than the playerbase. In other games, where the trash talker type who thinks they are the Light's gift to mankind can have their *** handed to them instead of hide behind 50k hp, they are not so vitriolic. I know this very well, because unlike some here, I have played other games for a long time before I came here.

Just in case I get the usual kind of response to this point being brought up as in game in world chat... It's not a realistic response to this to say, "If you don't like it, quit the game." People are sucked into MMOs for reasons other than their casual liking for every aspect of it, i.e. social aspects, duties to communities you may run, time with family or real life friends who have moved away. We have an investment too, even if it does not involve cash, in any game we enjoy playing. If you are one of those who don't want the game to be improved by realistic if negative feedback, YOU quit. Almost the same goes for those who say "switch to a PvP server if you like PvP". People can have commitments to communities and situations more complex than you may assume.

Finally, there is another problem that keeps PvP from being frequent right now and we all need to face it. PWI needs more new players, that have never played before if it is to continue to stay engaging and worth playing. That goes for PvE as well. PvE factions - which do bring benefits to the full community of any PWI server by continuing to help and instruct new players - are having a hard enough time as it is, with the decrease in newbies who need to learn and grow their way up. So fix the game and then let's talk about PvP again, shall we?

I didn t read it b:chuckle b:chuckle
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    Quinnie - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Too long did not read?

i agree

some1 go read it and shortcut into mayby 6 lines ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sinningblade - Sanctuary
    Sinningblade - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This version wasn't even existent 8 years ago.

true it didnt exist, i dont know when they broght it up i havent play PWI like 5years just ricently started to play, many many things changed
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I didn t read it b:chuckle b:chuckle

Don't wall-quote then. We did have spammers here a few weeks ago. b:angry
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • STrickeeN - Harshlands
    STrickeeN - Harshlands Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

To PWI, regarding your version of the game: in making cash often necessary - at least to such a drastic extent - to defeat the strongest threats in PvP, you have granted all the richest, most sociopathic, least moralistic, greediest, least interesting, least intelligent, spoilt pieces of work all the best power. Let's face it, you would have to be either rich, obsessive, a spoilt child and/or have some strange sense of ethics to come by enough disposable income to just toss thousands of dollars at this game on items that will disappear from existence when it eventually ends.

LOOOOL baste**d this is not an ESSAY nor a grammar or language class to write such thing... didnt read either-b:shocked
  • ChocoMia - Archosaur
    ChocoMia - Archosaur Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hahaha totally! But it's a new staff now.. I assume they're right outta grade school? xP but seriously.. most MMOs state like a 6 hour maint... MONTHLY.. and they finish in 4 hours and everyone loves them.

like ur statment " most MMOs state like a 6 hour maint... MONTHLY.. and they finish in 4 hours and everyone loves them "

hope pwi can do estimate 3 hours and finish in 1-2 hours b:laugh
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    Fabuleux - Lost City Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

Madam you need to pop yourself over to Aeria. One of the games i play is having their WEEKLEY maint right now as well. It's 6 hours long. ANd never in the same time slot every week.
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    TZoner - Raging Tide Posts: 1,764 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I am just waiting and wondering when they are gonna find some way to make it so we cant play pwi at all without using the arc.....then we will see MANY people just quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sansloveles - Sanctuary
    Sansloveles - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Too long did not read?

totally agreed
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    edited March 2014
    Options
    like ur statment " most MMOs state like a 6 hour maint... MONTHLY.. and they finish in 4 hours and everyone loves them "

hope pwi can do estimate 3 hours and finish in 1-2 hours b:laugh

Usually, they do. At least between 2 - 2.5 hours in.

Intern probably dropped the soda on the boards again.
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2014
    Options

or they need the servers bit longer to download more ****
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I am just waiting and wondering when they are gonna find some way to make it so we cant play pwi at all without using the arc.....then we will see MANY people just quit.

It will be like the Fall of Rome then... b:surrender
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • boudevaca
    boudevaca Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

To PWI, regarding your version of the game: in making cash often necessary - at least to such a drastic extent - to defeat the strongest threats in PvP, you have granted all the richest, most sociopathic, least moralistic, greediest, least interesting, least intelligent, spoilt pieces of work all the best power. Let's face it, you would have to be either rich, obsessive, a spoilt child and/or have some strange sense of ethics to come by enough disposable income to just toss thousands of dollars at this game on items that will disappear from existence when it eventually ends.

Too much free time you have , dude.
  • Sansloveles - Sanctuary
    Sansloveles - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

that happens every week it seems to me, blame the inrtens :p
    or was it sauce last week?
  • Domethies - Raging Tide
    Domethies - Raging Tide Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    i agree

some1 go read it and shortcut into mayby 6 lines ?

QQ r9+12JSoD isnt farmable in a reasonable time, more QQ b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It will be like Rome's Fall then... b:surrender

But at least there is still a city xD....PWI would be just an empty corpse save for a few people in each server duking it out claiming to be king.....hmm maybe i will stay then i like the sound of King TZoner Ruler of RT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2014
    Options
    QQ r9+12JSoD isnt farmable in a reasonable time, more QQ b:laugh

thank you ! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    edited March 2014
    Options
    that happens every week it seems to me, blame the inrtens :p
    or was it sauce last week?

No, I believe it was the sour cream last week.
  • Knockmeout - Sanctuary
    Knockmeout - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sweetiebot can you report server status please.
  • matthew4
    matthew4 Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    when are PvP servers why is it that you what want to sou on PvE server so no matter what get on for PvP server and be not doing shoulders on usual player like ulgi mav and them similar no matter what get on for PvP server will at least more calm in WC
  • ChocoMia - Archosaur
    ChocoMia - Archosaur Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

no more statment ? its to short
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    edited March 2014
    Options
    thank you ! b:victory

I love your sig...ijs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tothpeterf
    tothpeterf Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hi every1! Idk if worldboss's are spawn right after maintence but if yes plz i need Ceniminator for quest i dont need drops so plz dont kill asap wait for 4-5mins or ask ppl if any1 need it for quest
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sweetiebot can you report server status please.
    Here's the server status:

West Coast Servers:
    Sanctuary (PVE) (pwigc2.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Heaven's Tear (PVE) (pwigc4.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Lost City (PvP) (pwigc3.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Archosaur (PvE) (pwiwest4.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE

East Coast Servers:
    Harshlands (PvP) (pwieast1.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Dreamweaver (PvE) (pwieast2.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE
    Raging Tide (PvE) (pwieast3.perfectworld.com): OFFLINE

European Servers:
    Morai (PvE) (pwieu3.en.perfectworld.eu): OFFLINE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Ooelectaoo - Heavens Tear
    Ooelectaoo - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

~pounces Syl~ isnt it getting late for u?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    edited March 2014
    Options
    But at least there is still a city xD....PWI would be just an empty corpse save for a few people in each server duking it out claiming to be king.....hmm maybe i will stay then i like the sound of King TZoner Ruler of RT.

I really don't see all the raging about arc. It's really not even that bad. I highly doubt they're going to take away our elementclient.exe for a while anyway. so we'll worry about it when it comes.

PS: if people wanna play badly enough they'll use it to open it if they have to. We've seen people quit over some dumb chit and come back time and time again >.>
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I love your sig...ijs

i like urs to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Giannix - Raging Tide
    Giannix - Raging Tide Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    noob question: why is this page's time different from PST?... in-game time as well is not PST,i guess cause im on east coast server but as long as u relating all to PST why u just dont show up the PST time only cause,after all is the only one that matters?...ijs i know its not complicated to figure the PST time but why should be all complicated when it could be simple? b:surrender

PS: PvP is fun when the odds are the same for all... as long as i cant afford end-game gear i dont see the fun in get 1 shooted ...anyway im a pve player and i like it :)
  • Fabuleux - Lost City
    edited March 2014
    Options
    i like urs to

+1 for your title there on the side.