Pando Media Booster

sparkiesoft
sparkiesoft Posts: 47
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
Greetings!

As gamers ourselves, we’re always looking out for our players. We wanted to let you know that recent tech reports indicate that Pando Media Booster, which was shut down by Pando in August of 2013, has been hijacked and is masquerading as needing an update that actually contains a browser virus.

Take a look to see if you have Pando Media Booster installed on your computer, and if you do, we recommend that you uninstall it. You can do so via the 'Uninstall a Program' interface in your control panel (or, if you’re on XP, via 'Add/Remove Programs').

We’ll see you in-game!

- The PWE Team
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FlyRanger - Dreamweaver
    FlyRanger - Dreamweaver Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You are the ones who made us install this on PWI! >.>

Geesus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I upload a vid of a rank 9 3rd cast seeker fight, 90 views.
    I upload a vid of me in my boxers, 750 views.
    I know what the PWI community wants.

b:laugh
  • Mistyfied - Sanctuary
    Mistyfied - Sanctuary Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the heads up! This is good to know. b:thanks
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Geesus

And that is exactly why they're alerting us about it, but wow... 7 months since the virus was first being installed on machines everywhere?

Talk about the delays pwi tends to be infamous for... ;/ xD.

EDIT: Either way thanks for the heads up, going uninstall it on the pcs I downloaded pwi on.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014

Geesus

To be fair, they also discontinued it's use and disassociated themselves with it, replacing it with arc. They had no way of knowing that the company was going to shutdown and that opportunistic hackers would get a hold of it and take advantage of it, years before it actually happened. At least they've warned us. :P I hope we get more of a warning than just this post.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited February 2014
    And that is exactly why they're alerting us about it, but wow... 7 months since the virus was first being installed on machines everywhere?
    Pando was shut down in August, but it's only in the last few days that it's been hijacked by the browser virus.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• ovenusarmanio
    edited February 2014
    Surtr wrote: »
    Pando was shut down in August, but it's only in the last few days that it's been hijacked by the browser virus.

You have ninja'ed me good, sir. And my blade is yours!

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Surtr wrote: »

:$ sorry my bad... You all even said it int he original post... :$ fail me.

Sorry. :$

ty for alerting us to get it off of our pcs. (In Timely fashion too.)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Rawynn - Archosaur
    Rawynn - Archosaur Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thanks for the heads up, just checked my new pc , whew..not on this computer.
    [SIGPIC]SIGPIC]
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Greetings!

As gamers ourselves, we’re always looking out for our players. We wanted to let you know that recent tech reports indicate that Pando Media Booster, which was shut down by Pando in August of 2013, has been hijacked and is masquerading as needing an update that actually contains a browser virus.

Take a look to see if you have Pando Media Booster installed on your computer, and if you do, we recommend that you uninstall it. You can do so via the 'Uninstall a Program' interface in your control panel (or, if you’re on XP, via 'Add/Remove Programs').

We’ll see you in-game!

- The PWE Team

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't even know they had shut that down. More file space for my PC. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ok can i get now ocean orb for compensation i missed last one didnt get any
    b:pleased
  • Beleni - Dreamweaver
    Beleni - Dreamweaver Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How long was Pando Media Booster running for?

Also when was ARC released?

Im sure there is someone on these forum that are up for a challange
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Didn't even remember I had this program thanks for the heads up!

I have a bit of an issue though, a few days ago I found a program on my computer called ??_??
    When I tried to delete it I was unable to, it told me I had insufficient permissions or something similar to that.

Now that I've uninstalled and deleted anything to do with Pando Media Booster it allows me to uninstall and delete it, well it appears to anyways... nothing actually changes, the file doesn't move or get deleted even though it says it does.

Am I worrying over nothing? or do I have a potential bug in my system here?
    I'm far from an expert on this kind of thing , but I try to keep tabs on what I install on my computer and what it does, this is a program I have never seen before and I did not install, it gives me no details on what it is and what it does, it's just ??_??.

I'm not just uninstalling via the traditional way btw, I'm using a program called Advanced Uninstaller Pro, it deletes programs for good and will also scan your computer for any left over components from the program you have uninstalled, it also shreds files and several over handy things, it's no joke of a program xD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The virus is the Sweet Page browser virus.
    It'll change your default search engine to "Sweet Page" and will change all your browser hotlinks to launch Sweet Page.
    I haven't found any other information saying it does anything else.
    Here is a useful little Reddit post about it.

If you haven't seen Sweet Page, you're probably a-ok. But do a good virus/adware scan for good measure after deleting PandoMediaBooster.
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The virus is the Sweet Page browser virus.
    It'll change your default search engine to "Sweet Page" and will change all your browser hotlinks to launch Sweet Page.
    I haven't found any other information saying it does anything else.
    Here is a useful little Reddit post about it.

If you haven't seen Sweet Page, you're probably a-ok. But do a good virus/adware scan for good measure after deleting PandoMediaBooster.

Cool! thanks for this info<3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • tysond88
    tysond88 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That arc is a POS to soon as i installed it it started lagging out pwi
  • BlastFlare - Dreamweaver
    BlastFlare - Dreamweaver Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You mods need to make this a sticky thread because you are compromising us all! Seriously! Flag this as important!
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited March 2014
    You mods need to make this a sticky thread because you are compromising us all! Seriously! Flag this as important!

It is a sticky.

edited March 2014
    It is a sticky.

As important as this information is, why is it in the General Discussion lumped with less important threads and not in the patch notes? The General Discussion is often overlooked and this problem has been down played. There are plenty of unanswered questions above involving this possible malicious Trojan and it's not taken seriously enough.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    As important as this information is, why is it in the General Discussion lumped with less important threads and not in the patch notes? The General Discussion is often overlooked and this problem has been down played. There are plenty of unanswered questions above involving this possible malicious Trojan and it's not taken seriously enough.

.... You do realize that the Patch Notes subsection is within General Discussion, right?

This thread has been placed as a sticky in the most viewed section of the forums. It's, quite literally, the best place on the forums to put it to have it attract attention.
    (Insert fancy image here)
    edited March 2014
    OPKossy wrote: »
    .... You do realize that the Patch Notes subsection is within General Discussion, right?

This thread has been placed as a sticky in the most viewed section of the forums. It's, quite literally, the best place on the forums to put it to have it attract attention.

Yes, but security issue should not be lumped in with less important threads like "Choose Your Forum Title!" or "New DQ System Suggestion Thread" because they are making the rest of the sticky threads seem less important.... I feel like your missing my point completely...

With as much activity this thread is getting I guess it's forced to the top of the list.... >.>
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited March 2014
    Yes, but security issue should not be lumped in with less important threads like "Choose Your Forum Title!" or "New DQ System Suggestion Thread" because the make the rest of the sticky threads seem less important.... I feel like your missing my point completely...

With as much activity this thread is getting I guess it's forced to the top of the list.... >.>

This section has 2.3 million replies in it, that is more than double the amount of replies of the next most posted in/viewed section. The sticky threads here contain such important things as information about staffing, information about web based features, maintenance, itemized lists of changes brought on by the next expansion and information on if the negative ones may get fixed. It also contains a rule clarification, and has been the default place to warn people about phishing sites since 2012. Would you rather it be placed in Technical Support for example? That forum doesn't even have 1/4 of the replies that General Discussion does. It has not traditionally been a place for people to get GM responses on major issues like these, and contains such illustrious stickies as posting problems with the currently much less functional Jones blessing website. Perhaps official announcements, which hasn't been changed since 2012? No? It's a shame but there really isn't a better subforum than this one. And yes we are aware that the sticky list has gotten a bit long in the tooth, but all the stickies currently are for on-going important issues, or issue warnings for account safety. The title thread is a somewhat superfluous sticky but it's a feature of the forums and there isn't a better place to make people aware of it and encourage participation.

edit: What actually would be nice is this get also made into an announcement in-game. But I've no control over that part.

edit 2: And perhaps Sparkie can make this a forum announcement so it links people back here when viewing other subforums, but I feel that might be a bit excessive if we get a system message/news posts.

• Fabuleux - Lost City
    Fabuleux - Lost City Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the heads up! I've had that little bugger installed since Aeria. Didn't know it was being used for evil by random people tho b:shocked
  • booker224
    booker224 Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The only thing I have on my system with the word pando is: pando_popup.png

I nice grey box with the word ARC at the top and Perfect World on the bottom, and people wonder why I any software being forced on me.

Before you comment, I know the png is not a virus. That's not the point.
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Copy that. I vaguely remember Pando references on both of my systems which run PWI. Will run a check and uninstall that if/when found...
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Khalos - Dreamweaver
    Khalos - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thank you very much for letting me know :) Uninstalled it on my brother's PC. Already uninstalled it myself from ANOTHER game as PWI is unrelated to it, just happened to use it as many many other games do.

Thanks PWI! :) Looking forward to the upcoming expansion too, I am so lost in PWI now so am going to come back when the new expansion is out. Since you know, it has a new player experience :D
  • Rawynn - Archosaur
    Rawynn - Archosaur Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hmm...looks like sweetiebot is napping again
    [SIGPIC]SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    hmm...looks like sweetiebot is napping again

... What's that got to do with this thread?

If you're thinking necro related things, stickies are exempt from that so Sweetiebot wouldn't show up in this. b:chuckle
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • nhard
    nhard Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    use free version cclean from Piriform use options ps don't add more check marks the preset works fine deletes any program you want off plus repairs registry hope it helps ya
  • nhard
    nhard Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    use free version cclean from Piriform use options ps don't add more check marks the preset works fine deletes any program you want off plus repairs registry hope it helps ya