Perfect World 2: When?

rabanadas
rabanadas Posts: 3 Arc User
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
Hey everyone,

My apologies for the wall of text. In this post I make a retrospective of the games I have been playing in the last decade and share some thoughts of what I liked and disliked in other games. Would love to see all the good stuff I've experienced in these games in a second and upgraded version of PWI. Let's call it PWI 2 - it's about time for Perfect World studios do it.

I haven't played PWI for a quite long time. I am bored and I can't find a game that is as fun and entertaining as the old PWI. Unfortunately I can't return to PWI as it feels old - the graphics are really outdated when compared with new games and the combat feels dull.

Though I am yet to find a game that as the "dreaming" feeling and the peaceful environment that PWI has. The flying mechanic and the flying mount diversity is something that I just can't find in other games. Flying in PWI is simply amazing and the soothing music plays also an important role here.

-removed-

The setting and visuals are nice, but I miss a peaceful environment where I can fly and listen to soothing music like PWI.

I am pretty sure that there has been other people posting similar threads, but I wanted to share my personal thoughts about this. I want another PWI, with improved visuals, mechanics, combat, storyline, skill system but always and always with the SAME feeling and visual appealing.

Am I alone in this?

1. Who would like to play an upgraded version of this game?
2. Do you think there's enough fans out there that would be willing to play PWI 2?

Looking forward for the community feedback!
Post edited by rabanadas on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2014
    If you want to get technical, we are currently playing 3.1-ish

Truly though, we are currently on version 2.

It's already been announced that the original game designers have been hired back by Wanmei to work on the game and they will be updating it to the newer version of the Angelica engine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neferhotep - Lost City
    Neferhotep - Lost City Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1. PWI will NEVER loose its pay-to-win strategy. Even if the chinese servers would agree, our version (and certainly a new version as well) would try its best to stay the way it is.

2. Theyre hardly able to fix bugs or to avoid them in future updates. I dont think they are able to make big changes or a working new version without crashing servers . Theyd rather focus on new games.

3. I, personally, like the old graphics. The looks of games like diablo, *** or NW are imo horrible.
    Even worser is the control system what is pretty much a new generation. For example, i hate using my keyboard for playing. When playing mmos, i only use it for walking maybe. For skills, pots and any other actions i usually always use my mouse. Its a new trend to force people to use the keyboard and the mouse is left with 2-4 main skills. If you dont like most of the new games, you would surely not like an updated PW version cause it would probably have most of the features new games have.

4. I think there are more people here who want an "oldschool"-server instead of an updated version. Id also prefer playing on a server with a controlled cashsystem, but the skilll system, quests, mechanics .... are things that make PW unique imo and id probably never play a new version. Actually, the fact that PW kept most of its looks is what keeps me here at all. Id rather see a fair and bug-free PW instead of a new one.
    I like potatoes <(O~O)>
    edited February 2014
    2. Theyre hardly able to fix bugs or to avoid them in future updates. I dont think they are able to make big changes or a working new version without crashing servers . Theyd rather focus on new games.
    Actually, they brought the new devs on to upgrade the game engine so that it is more compatible to newer hardware standards. Most of the games are not actually developed by Wanmei, they just publish them.
    3. I, personally, like the old graphics. The looks of games like diablo, *** or NW are imo horrible.
    Even worser is the control system what is pretty much a new generation. For example, i hate using my keyboard for playing. When playing mmos, i only use it for walking maybe. For skills, pots and any other actions i usually always use my mouse. Its a new trend to force people to use the keyboard and the mouse is left with 2-4 main skills. If you dont like most of the new games, you would surely not like an updated PW version cause it would probably have most of the features new games have.
    Agreed. I'm hoping that aside from some possible lighting/ENB changes, most of the graphics stay the same. A few skill updates on the older skills would be nice though.
    4. I think there are more people here who want an "oldschool"-server instead of an updated version. Id also prefer playing on a server with a controlled cashsystem, but the skilll system, quests, mechanics .... are things that make PW unique imo and id probably never play a new version. Actually, the fact that PW kept most of its looks is what keeps me here at all. Id rather see a fair and bug-free PW instead of a new one.
    The only thing that I really miss from the P2P servers is the housing system. It would be nice to see that, but I understand the server costs associated with that would be quite enormous. (Which is why it's not an option on the F2P platform.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxyas - Dreamweaver
    Foxyas - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only thing that I really miss from the P2P servers is the housing system. It would be nice to see that, but I understand the server costs associated with that would be quite enormous. (Which is why it's not an option on the F2P platform.)

Pfft if we ever had this you can expect it to break and they would never fix it. Look at all the stuff they have broken and never fixed...

1) NPC for mulberry

2)1st time veno dungeon NPC for 140 stars

3)mount auto path

4)Santa event red chat spam daily

5) Actual Santa event that they just outright removed after having it break 90% of the time.

6) Other events that broke and they had to put extension time on(Anniversary)

7)Toad boss in FSP when people die(axes spawn on the people at spawn, not in the room!, otherwise he just doesn't spawn an axe at all sometimes and you can't rib boss or it bugs it.)

8)Dragon orb incident, reusable spammable code due to page lag. Removed code entirely and banned people who got too many, didn't email codes out for those who didn't get any in the 2 hours it was up)

9)Hidden Dragon's Den...removed instead of nerfed the mobs. In this case they "broke" it because everything was too OP in there, but didn't balance it.

10)Add your own.....
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The one-time quest for 140 stars was apparently a time limited event, like the Dreaming Cloud daily for Holy Pills.

Hidden Dragon Den's rewards were moved to Undercurrent Hall, probably to give the latter a purpose. Once people finish farming blood, they won't have a reason to run the instance anymore and it would die out if it had nothing else to offer alas I don't see they couldn't keep both.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    server vs server battles!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
    edited February 2014
    server vs server battles!
    The only thing preventing us from having that is the stupid way we have servers sharing the same uniquename database.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hua_Mulan - Raging Tide
    Hua_Mulan - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it the fact that Archosaur, Heaven's Tear and Sanctuary share name databases, or the fact that none of the rest of the servers share name databases?
    edited February 2014
    Is it the fact that Archosaur, Heaven's Tear and Sanctuary share name databases, or the fact that none of the rest of the servers share name databases?
    Those three, and it seems like there was another pair, but I don't recall which offhand.
    Separating them isn't an easy task either, but they have said they are working on it.
    Personally, merging Arch into HT or Sanc would probably make things easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MontRei - Dreamweaver
    MontRei - Dreamweaver Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Those three, and it seems like there was another pair, but I don't recall which offhand.
    Separating them isn't an easy task either, but they have said they are working on it.

Pardon my stupid question, but considering the amount of DC's we have when people enter NW, wouldn't a cross server one be even worse?
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I heard too that they mean to upgrade or change the Angelica engine. However seeing how badly they broke the class balance this last expansion I find it hard to believe anything good will come.
    edited February 2014
    Pardon my stupid question, but considering the amount of DC's we have when people enter NW, wouldn't a cross server one be even worse?

Not with the correct infrastructure and splitting the load. It wouldn't be any worse than it is now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MontRei - Dreamweaver
    MontRei - Dreamweaver Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not with the correct infrastructure and splitting the load. It wouldn't be any worse than it is now.

I never assume they do it correctly. b:surrender
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only thing preventing us from having that is the stupid way we have servers sharing the same uniquename database.

Even servers with different name databases can be merged, all they would have to do is set rules for automatically re-naming similar names...like Burnout_HL vs Burnout_RT...then give us a free Identification stone in mail.

I bet PWI will do it, but ONLY when it's absolutely, positively necessary, since it actually involves real work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide
    ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Even servers with different name databases can be merged, all they would have to do is set rules for automatically re-naming similar names...like Burnout_HL vs Burnout_RT...then give us a free Identification stone in mail.

I bet PWI will do it, but ONLY when it's absolutely, positively necessary, since it actually involves real work.

Somehow I don't think it's that simple. If you have had that login glitch where players names are a P-number instead of their text name, I think that is where the issue is. Those P-numbers are most like the key to the name database with every piece of player data referencing that P-number. I'm guessing the text name is just an alias for the p-number. To do a merge without duplicates would mean that duplicate p-numbers would have to change to a new-p-number which opens a new can of worms because now all the player information would have to reference the "new" p-number.

I've worked few places that merged databases and none of them went as planed. There is always exceptions to the merge rules that force those records to an exception file that has to be manually entered or held to a later date for another merge.

I'm pretty sure a Lv 105 R9rr+12 w/full JoSD, 100 gold, 200 billion would be just a little upset to find out on their next login after such a merge that their p-number references a Lv 60 with NPC gear and 10k in coin or they are unable to login at all until thier data is entered or merged.
  • Evalria - Sanctuary
    Evalria - Sanctuary Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This game's current graphics is among the most important things that keep me invested. If they completely, completely changed everything to the point it would no longer feel like the Perfect World I had grown to love and cherish, I'd be terribly disappointed.

Sure, the newer areas look pretty and all, but they lack this certain spark the older areas still have.
    And of course sure, the newer races have better skin textures and whatnot but the price for this was that you can barely make them unique looking, due to the limited customization options. I don't know about you but personally I dislike the idea of having my character look like the disappointed clone of a preset.

These things can backfire and they will if they mingle too much with it. They better use the newer stuff just to give the already existing skills new animations, like they are already trying to do.

Other than that, big no from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2014

There used to be another pair, but they merged (Momaganon + Lothranis -> Morai)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited February 2014

It's far from that simple.

You've got more than one database, and they are all inter-mixed
    1. A SQL database with the basic account information and character list.
    2. A SQL database with the basic factions information.
    3. A proprietary Berkley database for unique names.
    4. A proprietary Berkley database for Character information.
    5. An xml sheet for each character with detailed information. (Inventory/bank/safe/char sheet/marriage status & spouse/race/gender/ect.)

All of those are connected, and each account has a specific ID number that works across all the tables. Under each account, each character has it's own ID as well, which is a sub-set of the account table.

The problem is not the character names, but the cross linked data for the character information, faction lists, friend lists, spouse's and so on. It is not an easy task, and all of the changes that would be required would take quite a bit of time, with the servers offline.

Duplicate names isn't an issue because the servers already share the same uniquenamed database. The issue is with changing account and character ID #'s across all of the stored data locations and linking it properly with 100% accuracy. I've attempted it on a server with only 20-30 users and haven't been able to get it to work flawlessly. now imagine that there are several million entries to work with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]