starting vortex

Options
mrcharlyplustwo
mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Seeker
ok - I haven't played much on seeker and have a really dumb question.

In an instance such as fc, how do do you set up vortex for a puller? First few pulls I did and fired up vortex just fine. But then for bigroom they wanted me to start vortex in centre and a barb to pull to me. But vortex needs a target. So how do you set it up?
Post edited by mrcharlyplustwo on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Genie lure one mob (preferably a captain as they debuff, and better to get at least one out of the way) and set up vortex on that. Have a duel with another party member and set up vortex during the duel. Be in PK mode and set up vortex on an NPC. There might be other ways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    ty, those were the only methods I could think of; I wondered if there was some trick I was missing.
  • SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver
    SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    ty, those were the only methods I could think of; I wondered if there was some trick I was missing.

Nope thats it lol
    101/101/102
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also run around as a R1 seeker named WildFireXIII b:chuckle and now as a Stormbringer named xGrimStormxX, and no I'm not Grim from Kindred
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I usually just do the pull and then start it. Properly geared, a Seeker can do the same pulls most barbs can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    2 other methods aside from above,

depending on the position, you can duel someone, start vortex and have them run away a bit to cancel duel or just kill them in duel and keep vortex up.

you can also do it last minute. Keep target on the closest mob following the barb or puller. Have the puller kind of circle you to keep mobs close to you but not killing puller. Use dew of star or some kind of dmg reducing med right before, because in this instant you will start hitting mobs and it will hit you but the mobs BP wont fully be in effect till a second or two later into the vortex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • leitemagro
    leitemagro Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Use Zeal to pull 1 mob, eddge blur to get fast start when you do the corridor pulls that get stop channeling mobs or if do yourselve the pull in big room too, if you see that usually you get too damadge use a apotechary as dew star protection or stone turtle and a genie protection is a very good choice, and is nothing especial to start to make a zeal only for FC can be just with 4/5 skills
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Blade affinity also helps get it up faster.

That sounds so wrong.
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • mrcharlytoo
    mrcharlytoo Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm using Gemini Slash to grab one group of mobs.

Something I'm noticing now I've done a few fcs; when there is a seeker and a sin in an fc squad, the rest tend to stand around doing diddly squat. Have to ask them to do things "Could you ranged DD possibly kill the harpies" etc.
  • Alphaben - Raging Tide
    Alphaben - Raging Tide Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Press tab (targets nearest target), use Blade affinity when the mob gets close, then vortex.

Or, if you have adrenal numbness buff (which should be on anyway), you can agro a single mob with any of the shatter skills or Arme Neir and let them run over and start hitting you then vortex.

Or if you have a zeal genie, use the skill to agro one.

If all else fails, Absolute Domain that ****! That'll definitely make sure vortex's channel doesn't get interrupted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kablaab - Dreamweaver
    Kablaab - Dreamweaver Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    When I was running FC in squads, I'd wait till puller got close then use Gemini Slash or Ion Spike to grab the aggro of all mobs from range, then put up my vortex. I'm sure it might have made some people uneasy, but if you do it right it is perfectly safe. You might also get a nod for being a good seeker. Once my gears were good enough I'd just do the whole pull myself and actually stop before being in BB range since I was capable of surviving without.

I find it somewhat sad that these days people have come to expect for a seeker's vortex to be up already before the puller gets back, considering that before seekers were even around we relied on barbs to invoke and grab aggro before coming back, or else the BM would stun to pick up their slack (and keep the squad safe as they would inevitably pull aggro from most barbs anyhow).
  • Samaranight - Sanctuary
    Samaranight - Sanctuary Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    For FCC, the plan for me, which has yet to fail, is, grab 2 groups of mobs, AOE, run to next 2 groups, AOE, get the remaining groups, AOE, so that aggro is well established.

A few steps before I get to the others: Blade Affinity → Vortex.

No cleric aggro, or BM getting surprise asskicking.
  • mrcharlytoo
    mrcharlytoo Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    clerics putting up BB seems extremely risky and unnecessary. Unless someone stuns the mobs, they inevitably aggro on the cleric before the seeker's vortex hits and establishes aggro.

Can't see that BB makes much difference anyway. Either the mobs are dead in under 20s or the seeker dies and people flee.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    If I'm duoing cleric and seeker, I set up vortex and BB ahead of time, and tell puller to come in on the side away from the cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Alphaben - Raging Tide
    Alphaben - Raging Tide Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    clerics putting up BB seems extremely risky and unnecessary. Unless someone stuns the mobs, they inevitably aggro on the cleric before the seeker's vortex hits and establishes aggro.

Can't see that BB makes much difference anyway. Either the mobs are dead in under 20s or the seeker dies and people flee.

Oh it makes a difference...Unless you have R8/R9, then it doesn't matter eitherway

Also, lv4+ vortex has a far enough range that it'll agro mobs before they reach BB (assuming vortex is set up before the mobs get close which is easy to do)

Someone stunning the mobs before they reach vortex helps though...Since BB won't be healing any damage yet the mobs would instantly agro on the vortex b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kittysama - Raging Tide_1432680721
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Someone stunning the mobs before they reach vortex helps though...to mistime any survival-skills on genie. Stun AFTER they've entered vortex-range, when they're about to hit the seeker.
    Since BB won't be healing any damage yet the mobs would instantly agro on the vortex b:victory

Too bad BB creates healing aggro even if everyone's HP ish full. Back to aggro-basics...

From 90 Kitty's seeker was capable of soloing big room pull easily. Magic word: Expel. By controlling movement direction with mouse one doesn't make any sharp turns and so mobs don't get the chance to hit nearly as much. Kitty used to use Unfetter at the beginning and second last group. Then Kitty ran to squad, BA->Vortex and then Expel when all mobs got to vortex-range.
    With Dews Kitty solo'd all FC XP-pulls from 82.

And seeker's tanking ability with Vortex in FC ish much related to Vortex-lvl and weapon, though having crappy armors can make it impossible too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Final ragequit on 21/02/2014 'cause ARC. Back on 15/04/2014, RL was bored.
    Ten Paths of Kittyness(old mains when deleted): Kittysama 100(100) Sage HA-Venomancer |Aivina 100(101) Sage (ex-Zerk) Str. Seeker | Kittytart 90(101) Demon All path Zerk BM | KittyFishie 92(101) Demon APS/DPH Zerk Assassin | Haroin 100(100) Demon Vit. Zerk Barbarian | Elfborn 82(100) Demon Cleric | Pessimiste 85(100) Sage Wizard | PalavaEnkeli 87(100) Demon Fist/APS-Archer | VerenVanki 85(100) Demon Mystic | MerenPeto 85(100) Sage Psychic
    Current mains: Old psy and 19 new/recreated mains(avg. level 82)