Dark Taboo skill thoughts and info

Desdi - Sanctuary
Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Venomancer

As you all know by now, the latest expansion has brought upon new changes in the game that includes an update to skills for all classes.

In this thread I'll be reviewing the Dark Taboo skill which is a merger of Leech and Consume Spirit skills. For reference here are the related threads:

Redstone Venomworm
Grudge Strike
Malefic Crush (not a review but it contains information)

Video.
Dark Taboo animation and tests.

Skill descriptions.
Dark Taboo

Requires Fox Form
Range 5 Meters
Mana 210
Cast 1.0 seconds
Cooldown 6.0 seconds
Weapon Unarmed, Magic instrument

Requisite Cultivation Master of Discord
Blast the target with dark
energy, siphoning their life
force into yourself. Deals base
physical damage plus
6319. Restores
800 to 2000 Health, based on
your Soulforce. Never misses.

Sage version reduces the cooldown by 1 second.
Primal version generates 20 Chi.

Leech

Requires Fox Form
Range Melee
Mana 210
Channel 0.8 seconds
Cast 1.1 seconds
Cooldown 6.0 seconds
Chi Gained 15
Weapon Unarmed, Magic Instruments

Required Cultivation Aware of the Void
Bite the enemy with a leeching attack,
dealing base physical damage plus
Has an 80% chance to steal 600 Health.

Sage version has a 100% chance to steal Health.
Demon version steals 800 Health.

Consume Spirit

Requires Fox Form
Range Melee
Channel 0.8 seconds
Cast 1.1 seconds
Cooldown 9.0 seconds
Chi Gained 15
Weapon Unarmed, Magic Instruments

Required Cultivation Master of Discord
Devour a portion of your own soul, consuming
10% of
your current Health and dealing base physical damage
to the target. After
3 seconds, you will gain 500 Mana.

Sage version never misses.
Demon version reduces the cooldown by 3 seconds.

Review.
Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion/assessment and experimenting. I tried to be objective but it's still going to be what I think.

One very noticeable thing about Dark Taboo is that it gets rid of channeling and the cast time is reduced to 1 second making it a very quick skill to cast (much like Grudge Strike). This is very good for Demons as they can quickly "sneak" the skill in for some chi during fights in PvE but also during some PvP situations.
The animation, as seen in the video, is very subtle.

Sage one becomes 5 second cooldown and the chi gain is 10. Demon one increases chi gain to 20 chi.

As far as the HP gained is concerned, it's..okay. At 21968 Soulforce my HP healed was a random number between 1000ish and 1400ish. It's probably HP worth a couple of hits (or more) in PvE, not so much on bosses though. In PvP it would highly depend on who and how many you're fighting but it may or may not be HP worth a hit.

For Sages, whilst the skill is decent it's something that doesn't offer anything special so you're better off leaving this skill as last and getting the more important ones.

Reasons to upgrade to Dark Taboo.
~More Damage. Why not? It's especially nice for those who like using Fox Form a lot or those that are HA/LA builds. I'd guess it's mostly beneficial for PvE but as far as I've seen it does hurt on people with low physical defence. It could be a quick finishing move if you're still in Fox Form and the opponent is about to die (much faster than switching forms to cast a skill).
~Chi gain. If you're Demon some extra chi to gain which you might as well get. The skill is quick to cast and subtle. You will need a target, NPC or player.
~Leech & Consume Spirit are not very useful at endgame/at PvP. At endgame, those two skills are honestly kinda obsolete. The 600/800 HP barely makes a difference and Consume Spirit has no uses when MP food is so easy to obtain from tokens, divine quests or just botting (you can get quite a lot of pots through botting).

Reasons to keep Leech & Consume Spirit.
I see no reason not to upgrade unless you auto-cultivate with Leech & Consume Spirit combo. If you're not interested in the latter, then there's no reason not to upgrade.
[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
Post edited by Desdi - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ilyania - Lost City
    Ilyania - Lost City Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I got it a few weeks back, and I'm currently meh about it. I have 23k soulforce and I didn't really see a lot of hp being given back to me :c I'm not good with watching those numbers so I'll have to watch next time I test it on hubby some more.

Honestly, I wish that I saved my bloods to level up my defensive skill before getting that skill xD It's nice, but I have trouble finding the time to use it in like TW and NW, because after purge and amp, I try to get the *** outta a group of people (emphasis on try QQ). So overall, I think I could have waited on getting it, and focusing more on leveling the passive skill rather than attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kniraven is so f-cking sexy
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty much done with the defence passive so I wanted to go for a skill before I get the rest because passives are honestly boring. They are good, but boring.

I think it's great for building chi but yeah I haven't tried it out in PvP yet ever since I got it. I want to experiment with sneaking it in during various situations. Malefic Crush is a very good skill to get though since it requires 60 blood, I'd rather get it later (perhaps after I max the Crit passive). I'm curious about Stunning Blow that also requires 60 blood yet doesn't seem to offer anything special.

Anyway, all in all I can't judge it just yet but it's definitely good for PvE, chi building etc. just need to figure out how to take advantage of it in PvP.
  • X_volcano_y - Harshlands
    X_volcano_y - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have 31k soulfource....what is the estimated healing from it?...I am sage btw and in my opinion it will be op for botting due to its low mana..yes I bot in fox cuz I hit mobs for 20k in fox.....to desdi nice song on the video
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited February 2014
    If I was getting 1000-1400 ish HP at 21.9k Soulforce.. maybe you'd get 1500-2000 ish at 31k? This is just a speculation though. I don't know anyone that has higher Soulforce than me and got the skill yet so I can't ask anyone to test. Most people I know with the skill have similar or lower Soulforce.

• Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty much done with the defence passive so I wanted to go for a skill before I get the rest because passives are honestly boring. They are good, but boring.

I think it's great for building chi but yeah I haven't tried it out in PvP yet ever since I got it. I want to experiment with sneaking it in during various situations. Malefic Crush is a very good skill to get though since it requires 60 blood, I'd rather get it later (perhaps after I max the Crit passive). I'm curious about Stunning Blow that also requires 60 blood yet doesn't seem to offer anything special.

Anyway, all in all I can't judge it just yet but it's definitely good for PvE, chi building etc. just need to figure out how to take advantage of it in PvP.

Stunning Blow's primal update seems to be a 100% chance to hit. 8 second immobilize, yes please! b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Stunning Blow's primal update seems to be a 100% chance to hit. 8 second immobilize, yes please! b:dirty

Um. Another 100% stun/immobilise like dragon rising/mighty swing? b:shocked
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited February 2014

That's the thing though...that's the only thing that it seems to get, along with a little more damage. The 8 second freeze has been there from the beginning. It doesn't seem worth the 60 blood if you ask me.

I doubt it's a paralyze considering because we already get one through Malefic Crush and that, honestly, seems enough.

Not saying it's bad but just..why would it cost 60 blood? It feels like either there's an additional effect that's not mentioned (as usual) or they just threw the skill there for the sake of having another 60-blood skill like other classes.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The amount of hp absorbed is still insignificant imo. Even at the max 2k hp, that's just around 10% of my hp b:sweat

However I like the chi gain, and it's good for killing undergeared people when I'm in fox form.

Why are you excited? The only difference between the old stunning blow and the level 12 is that: the new one works from 5 meters, and never misses. Gotta agree with desdi, the price for that skill should be 20 bloods.
  • Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The amount of hp absorbed is still insignificant imo. Even at the max 2k hp, that's just around 10% of my hp b:sweat

However I like the chi gain, and it's good for killing undergeared people when I'm in fox form.

Why are you excited? The only difference between the old stunning blow and the level 12 is that: the new one works from 5 meters, and never misses. Gotta agree with desdi, the price for that skill should be 20 bloods.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the price for what it apparently does is quite high, and it's not a priority for me atm. However, a 100% chance to hit, 8 second immobilize skill.. I don't see the harm in getting it ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • Anonome - Dreamweaver
    Anonome - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think the price for what it apparently does is quite high, and it's not a priority for me atm. However, a 100% chance to hit, 8 second immobilize skill.. I don't see the harm in getting it ^^
    I actually do have it, and I love it! The only reason I wasn't in love with the old stunning blow was because it was unreliable. I hated wasting a spark just to miss. :( I'm incorporating it into my playstyle now, and I'm extremely happy I upgraded. I guess it depends on how you play and personal gain from the skill based upon how you utilize it, but no regrets here for sure.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited February 2014
    I actually do have it, and I love it! The only reason I wasn't in love with the old stunning blow was because it was unreliable. I hated wasting a spark just to miss. :( I'm incorporating it into my playstyle now, and I'm extremely happy I upgraded. I guess it depends on how you play and personal gain from the skill based upon how you utilize it, but no regrets here for sure.

In other words, it's basically the same skill but it's now a guaranteed immobilize (along with 50% chance for 3 sec stun if Demon)? That's basically what I wanted to know because the 60 blood requirement made it suspicious and a friend of mine was debating getting it hoping that it has an unmentioned side effect.

But yeah, I do think it's good and I was one of the first Venomancers to start talking about it and pondering the possibilities of incorporating it into the playstyle but the amount of blood required was just..weird.

I'm not sure myself which skill I want to get next though...Stunning Blow does sound great but Malefic Crush has great potential especially in TW...but my faction has been cornered in a bad position so TWs are either we-roll or we-get-rolled.. u_u; ahh hard to decide.
  • Anonome - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2014
    In other words, it's basically the same skill but it's now a guaranteed immobilize (along with 50% chance for 3 sec stun if Demon)? That's basically what I wanted to know because the 60 blood requirement made it suspicious and a friend of mine was debating getting it hoping that it has an unmentioned side effect.

But yeah, I do think it's good and I was one of the first Venomancers to start talking about it and pondering the possibilities of incorporating it into the playstyle but the amount of blood required was just..weird.

I'm not sure myself which skill I want to get next though...Stunning Blow does sound great but Malefic Crush has great potential especially in TW...but my faction has been cornered in a bad position so TWs are either we-roll or we-get-rolled.. u_u; ahh hard to decide.

The blood required is a bit high, but yeah no unmentioned side effects. :( Malefic crush seemed good to me at first, until I noticed the extremely long cooldown, and the demon version definitely isn't anything to write home about (consume a little bit more mana?! blegh!). It does seem as if it could come in handy during TW for sure. I chose stunning blow first because I could think of a lot more instances in which it could be useful.. I'm still excited to get malefic crush and try it out, eventually!
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the info :3 I have one last question, does Stunning Blow get a new animation? As far as I've seen, Malefic Crush does.
  • Anonome - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2014
    nope, same lame animation. T_T
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited February 2014
    Awww..oh well, at least it looks pretty cool already o.o those green lights going around and stuff.
  • Anonome - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2014
    True, I guess I just got a little too excited for it to have a new animation. When I tested it on a friend right after learning it, was like "... aw."