Relationships in MMORPGs

Options
StacyKeibler - Lost City
StacyKeibler - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Off-Topic Discussion
Hi everyone,

I'm a psychology student doing my thesis on relationships in MMORPGs and I'm looking for participants. Even if you have never been in an online relationship, anyone who plays or has played an MMORPG is invited to participate! The survey will only take about 15-20 minutes. Must be 18+ in order to participate.

It's a topic that has barely been studied and more work needs to be done. I am trying to break the usual online game addictions research that is done to no end, and bring in the more positive side of the online gaming community.

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes a look and participates! Feel free to contact me for more information.

https://smupsychology.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6LMTfijysGyN7jn

Cheers!

-Patricia
Post edited by StacyKeibler - Lost City on

Comments

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Majority of people playing PWI do it for the in game relationships they have.

I see people that are totally addiction to the social side of PWI, people that take the in game wedding like it was a real thing, people that if they see they in game wife embrace an other male toon even if it's for chi will divorce and call her a s***.

People trust way too fast in PWI, more than a normal person would do irl, I think a lot of people playing PWI are people that have no relationships irl so they do it online and they are so scare to lose it that they will do stupid things to prove their trust in each other (like sharing info).

Someone told me one day that everyone playing PWI have some psychological issues, which is true, there's no one totally sane with a normal life and relationship that would play PWI everyday for years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Socqar - Lost City
    Socqar - Lost City Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options

I see people that are totally addiction to the social side of PWI, people that take the in game wedding like it was a real thing, people that if they see they in game wife embrace an other male toon even if it's for chi will divorce and call her a s***.

People trust way too fast in PWI, more than a normal person would do irl, I think a lot of people playing PWI are people that have no relationships irl so they do it online and they are so scare to lose it that they will do stupid things to prove their trust in each other (like sharing info).

Someone told me one day that everyone playing PWI have some psychological issues, which is true, there's no one totally sane with a normal life and relationship that would play PWI everyday for years.

That's a non-sense assumption if I may correct you. I'm perfectly normal, engineer and consultant by an international firma. Got irl Girlfriend who plays Pwi with me.

We both enjoy the game together, do our dailies at night (as we don't live together yet we can't stick to each other all the time...) and pvp and pve for the fun.

There's though some ppl having serious relationship issues playing, I've seen that behaviour of breaking long-time friendships for embracing another's toon O.o having impresive drama over wedding ppl and things like that... Won't deny it, but not everyone in here is nuts b:surrender

About trust... I've seen people buy 1000$+ worth items to gain the right to marry someone in game, that's absolute crazyness imho, but I don't have 1000$ to waste that fast anyway... perhaps if I earned 100k$ a month I wouldn't consider that as odd as it seems now.

PS: We thank you for your time spent taking this survey.
    Your response has been recorded. Done it
  • StacyKeibler - Lost City
    edited February 2014
    Options

In my experience PWI was definately a game where focusing on the social interaction and relationships was enjoyable. I had several online-only relationships in my year of obsessive playing, and I met my current boyfriend through it.

There are extreme sides to every continuum, and the seriousness with which people see their online relationships is no exception. There is a health balance which needs to be maintained between online and offline, and unfortunately it's all too easy to become entrenched in the online side of it.

I had offline relationships to balance the online ones, so I wouldn't go so far as to say those who have relationships in PWI don't have any irl ones, or that they have psychological problems. People form real attachments online, and wanting to cultivate those attachments and relationships does take a lot of time and effort sometimes, leading to extended playtime.

The point my research is trying to prove is that online gaming has a positive side to it (the formation of meaningful relationships), past the usual online addiction studies. Any relationship, online or offline, can be positive or negative. It boils down to how you treat it, and being aware when something is problematic.
    That's a non-sense assumption if I may correct you. I'm perfectly normal, engineer and consultant by an international firma. Got irl Girlfriend who plays Pwi with me.

We both enjoy the game together, do our dailies at night (as we don't live together yet we can't stick to each other all the time...) and pvp and pve for the fun.

There's though some ppl having serious relationship issues playing, I've seen that behaviour of breaking long-time friendships for embracing another's toon O.o having impresive drama over wedding ppl and things like that... Won't deny it, but not everyone in here is nuts b:surrender

About trust... I've seen people buy 1000$+ worth items to gain the right to marry someone in game, that's absolute crazyness imho, but I don't have 1000$ to waste that fast anyway... perhaps if I earned 100k$ a month I wouldn't consider that as odd as it seems now.

Playing any game as a couple's activity is fantastic imo, because there is always a connection or something to talk about/do together. The problems arise when it's the only thing connecting those two people.

You're right in saying that problematic relationships exist, but the thing is problematic relationships exist offline too. When hasn't there existed individuals who spend tens of thousands of dollars in gifts just to sleep with someone? Relationships are what people make them, and they serve a million and one purposes. The happy functional ones are great and they are plentiful, same with the dysfunctional ones. The online social world is a mirror of the offline social world imo, and while they exist in separate realms the similarities are endless.
  • Socqar - Lost City
    Socqar - Lost City Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Playing any game as a couple's activity is fantastic imo, because there is always a connection or something to talk about/do together. The problems arise when it's the only thing connecting those two people.

You're right in saying that problematic relationships exist, but the thing is problematic relationships exist offline too. When hasn't there existed individuals who spend tens of thousands of dollars in gifts just to sleep with someone? Relationships are what people make them, and they serve a million and one purposes. The happy functional ones are great and they are plentiful, same with the dysfunctional ones. The online social world is a mirror of the offline social world imo, and while they exist in separate realms the similarities are endless.

But don't spend them in a ***Wings of Ancesion cape LOL :P Good comparison though, been there, but instead of thousands was a couple dozen bucks... cheap kid those days :O
    edited February 2014
    Options
    But don't spend them in a ***Wings of Ancesion cape LOL :P Good comparison though, been there, but instead of thousands was a couple dozen bucks... cheap kid those days :O

Haha too true, but I suppose it all depends on people's priorities. When you think about it, that cape is longer lasting that a few expensive dinners though!
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    A thread about this topic that doesn't make me want to bang my head against a wall.... well that's rare for these forums.

Gone through with the survey and wish you best of luck.
    (Insert fancy image here)
    edited February 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    A thread about this topic that doesn't make me want to bang my head against a wall.... well that's rare for these forums.

Gone through with the survey and wish you best of luck.

Haha that's a compliment if I ever heard one. Thanks for filling it out, and for the luck!
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    MMOs can be studied using the anthropological method the same as any other society. I think it is easy to forget that people are people. And think of our interactions with others as just pixels, when looking at online societies. But the truth of the matter is, while the existence of this view does color and shape our interactions with one another, people will still be people at the end of the day. Some will take it way too far, ofc. But meaningful, healthy relationships can and do form online as well regardless of the existence of prejudice against them. It's funny because a lot principles from the fields like political science, anthropology, sociology, and psychology can easily be observed online. The internet and online games are just a social grouping, it's the medium that's different. Not that i'm mitigating the importance of how messages are perceived, received, and utilized. To quote McLuhan "The medium is the message," after all. The medium has a large impact on us. So I'd be interested in seeing the result of your research. ^^

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    Options
    MMOs can be studied using the anthropological method the same as any other society... It's funny because a lot principles from the fields like political science, anthropology, sociology, and psychology can easily be observed online. The internet and online games are just a social grouping, it's the medium that's different. To quote McLuhan "The medium is the message," after all. The medium has a large impact on us.

You're exactly right, it's a parallel of the physical world in a lot of ways. A really well rounded game has everything from jobs (not everyone is going to be a blacksmith, we all outsource to those that are more skilled for a price), to a fully functioning economy that fluctuates, to an environment that changes as people interact with it.

In terms of relationships, we can see everything from flirting and courtship (chatting, presents etc), to dating (spending time together, doing quests or activities together), to marriage, to even consummation (if you consider cyber-sex as that consummation).
    I think it is easy to forget that people are people. And think of our interactions with others as just pixels, when looking at online societies. But the truth of the matter is, while the existence of this view does color and shape our interactions with one another, people will still be people at the end of the day. Some will take it way too far, ofc. But meaningful, healthy relationships can and do form online as well regardless of the existence of prejudice against them. Not that i'm mitigating the importance of how messages are perceived, received, and utilized.

It's exactly why I think relationships are viable in an online setting, because at the end of the day people are people. They put real feelings an emotions into their attachments, because it's a basic human need to connect to others in some way. Yes, online is different from offline in plenty of ways; people are different, situations are different. But when you take an offline relationship where two people live apart, and compare it to when they live together there are still differences. It's a different thing to live together than just date, the same way it's different when you have an online to offline relationship.
    So I'd be interested in seeing the result of your research. ^^

You have an excellent perspective overall and one that I would love more people to have. All the more reason research needs to be done!

I will have results in late March, and my thesis will be complete in late April. I'll happily post some general results, and I can be contacted if anyone is interested in learning more. Thanks for the support! :)
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've taken part in the survey and I hope your study goes well!

In my personal opinion "Dating someone through a game" has to have some sort of rl connection, and becomes more of a long distance relationship than anything else.

I would never be able to commit to someone who I only knew and could talk to through a game and some pixels.

But that's just me, I see so many random couples that only have connection through a game and they all seem happy enough... Anyways, best of luck! xox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • LadyOya - Raging Tide
    LadyOya - Raging Tide Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have completed the survey.

All the best with your research.

Will you post the results here? I think it would be interesting to see that as I have always thought that performing this type of research on an online game would be interesting.

Take care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TY Silvychar, for the awesome sig b:kissb:kissb:kiss
  • HanyIstok - Morai
    HanyIstok - Morai Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    i filled it, interesting thing, and yes, i want to know the results too
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've taken part in the survey and I hope your study goes well!

In my personal opinion "Dating someone through a game" has to have some sort of rl connection, and becomes more of a long distance relationship than anything else.

I would never be able to commit to someone who I only knew and could talk to through a game and some pixels.

But that's just me, I see so many random couples that only have connection through a game and they all seem happy enough... Anyways, best of luck! xox

It's one of those "Whatever works for each person situations" I think. I always found I made better connections online than with people in person, but I think it depends heavily on the individual. Without the availability of a physical connection, there is a much stronger onus on the emotional and psychological bond - something I've always found really intriguing.
    I have completed the survey.

All the best with your research.

Will you post the results here? I think it would be interesting to see that as I have always thought that performing this type of research on an online game would be interesting.

Take care.

Thanks for participating! I will happily post the results here sometime in April. I'm not just doing the research for personal benefit; I want there to exist empirical evidence about online relationships. Whether the results are positive or negative, it is still important to understand what goes on and what people think about it.
    i filled it, interesting thing, and yes, i want to know the results too

Thank you! I look forward to the results, and I'm glad so many others do too.

All the best everyone! Please continue to participate, and I know we will all benefit from the results in different ways.
  • MissCherie - Harshlands
    MissCherie - Harshlands Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I did the survey, it will be nice to see the results. I thinkn MMOs are a gold mine for psychology studies. b:chuckle

The only thing I would have like it's maybe a section where we could have write comments.

Good luck with the survey. b:cute
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I believe people can find love online, though whether or not it works varies depending on the people. Many people NEED a physical connection, and no matter how much they love the other person if that connection isn't there or can't be there in a certain period of time the relationship ends, no matter how strong the emotional connection.

It doesn't work for everyone, and many people don't believe it can actually happen, but when two people meet doing something they each enjoy it's pretty easy to bond, and grow closer, and eventually fall in love. I wouldn't recommend online dating.. but it can allow you to connect with someone you'd have never met otherwise and grow to care for that person, even love them. It's just that in most cases, the distance becomes the most important factor and will end most of these types of relationships unless someone's able to shell out the cash to see the other. Assuming both parties can wait that long.

I'm taking the survey now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I did the survey, it will be nice to see the results. I thinkn MMOs are a gold mine for psychology studies. b:chuckle

The only thing I would have like it's maybe a section where we could have write comments.

Good luck with the survey. b:cute

As part of the MMO community myself I would love to see more work done. The only researcher I know of who really dedicated time and effort to researching THE COMMUNITY, rather than seeing us as internet-addicted lab rats was Nick Yee. Published several papers, and surveyed 70 000+ players.

I debated adding a comments section, but because my thesis will be heavily quantitative I wouldn't be able to showcase comments/individual experiences the way a qualitative paper would. The discussions I've seen on various forums is an excellent way to bridge that gap, and it allows for conversations to happen.

Thanks for the luck! :)
    I believe people can find love online, though whether or not it works varies depending on the people. Many people NEED a physical connection, and no matter how much they love the other person if that connection isn't there or can't be there in a certain period of time the relationship ends, no matter how strong the emotional connection.

It doesn't work for everyone, and many people don't believe it can actually happen, but when two people meet doing something they each enjoy it's pretty easy to bond, and grow closer, and eventually fall in love. I wouldn't recommend online dating.. but it can allow you to connect with someone you'd have never met otherwise and grow to care for that person, even love them. It's just that in most cases, the distance becomes the most important factor and will end most of these types of relationships unless someone's able to shell out the cash to see the other. Assuming both parties can wait that long.

I'm taking the survey now.

Having no physical connection is a struggle, but even irl people have barriers where being physical with each other may not be possible - yet relationships survive and thrive. I would never say that people in online relationships "don't try hard enough or they could make it work." Sometimes it's just not possible, sometimes it's not worth it, and sometimes even if you try it doesn't work out. For those that make it through, get together, and stay together, they end up with a special bond and with the knowledge that meeting may have never happened if not for the internet. Decades ago the majority of your dating pool consisted of your local town, and now it's almost the whole world.

MMORPGs allowed me, someone who growing up was really bad at making friends and being social, to make lots of friends, fall in love, and grow/develop as an individual. I don't think I would have had more enriching experiences with a bunch of partying teenagers my age at the time. I loved making friends with people who lived thousands of miles away, lived completely different lives, and sometimes were old enough to be my parents.
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    edited February 2014
    Options
    As part of the MMO community myself I would love to see more work done. The only researcher I know of who really dedicated time and effort to researching THE COMMUNITY, rather than seeing us as internet-addicted lab rats was Nick Yee. Published several papers, and surveyed 70 000+ players.

I debated adding a comments section, but because my thesis will be heavily quantitative I wouldn't be able to showcase comments/individual experiences the way a qualitative paper would. The discussions I've seen on various forums is an excellent way to bridge that gap, and it allows for conversations to happen.

Thanks for the luck! :)

Having no physical connection is a struggle, but even irl people have barriers where being physical with each other may not be possible - yet relationships survive and thrive. I would never say that people in online relationships "don't try hard enough or they could make it work." Sometimes it's just not possible, sometimes it's not worth it, and sometimes even if you try it doesn't work out. For those that make it through, get together, and stay together, they end up with a special bond and with the knowledge that meeting may have never happened if not for the internet. Decades ago the majority of your dating pool consisted of your local town, and now it's almost the whole world.

MMORPGs allowed me, someone who growing up was really bad at making friends and being social, to make lots of friends, fall in love, and grow/develop as an individual. I don't think I would have had more enriching experiences with a bunch of partying teenagers my age at the time. I loved making friends with people who lived thousands of miles away, lived completely different lives, and sometimes were old enough to be my parents.

I can relate to that, I have little interest in sports or partying, and talking to new people when I have no clue what they're interested has always been a challenge for me. In a game however, there's already plenty to talk about and the conversation can naturally branch out from the game to other topics. It's a more comfortable setting than a party or someone else's house where two people are being introduced for the first time.

It's nice when people online make it, I find that the bonds I have with people online can become fairly strong since there's no trying to impress them or fit in, there's just two or more people being themselves and growing to like each other for who they are as a person, not who they're pretending to be. The thing is what an online relationship of any kind has in communication, it lacks in physical interaction. And even if there are barriers, that's an immensely important part of a romantic relationship.

Online relationships can work, and the people who make them work do have to go through a lot, but it's generally not worth the effort in my opinion. Not unless you've got someone who's very special to you and through your time together online you know that's the person you want to be with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ohhh thesis :D
    As someone who flailed around in stress with their thesis a couple short years ago I jumped at the chance to help!

Very interesting topic, took the survey, and I look forward to seeing all of the results!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ohhh thesis :D
    As someone who flailed around in stress with their thesis a couple short years ago I jumped at the chance to help!

Very interesting topic, took the survey, and I look forward to seeing all of the results!

Mine nearly caused me a mental breakdown, simply because my university's ethics board took 3 months to approve my study (when it normally takes only 1 month maximum). I was getting to the point where I wouldn't even have a chance to collect data, which would have meant I'd automatically fail... Thanks to a lot of awesome people things are looking great!
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I hope you linked the survey on other gaming forums. PWI's, while not dead, is hardly the most active one around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I hope you linked the survey on other gaming forums. PWI's, while not dead, is hardly the most active one around.

This is so true, I giggled a little when it was listed as "popular".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
    edited February 2014
    Options

I have yes. I've noticed that smaller communities have been more helpful and willing to participate than the really large communities though. I cast a wide net, and I appreciate every response I get.
    This is so true, I giggled a little when it was listed as "popular".

While PWI may not have the player force that a game like WoW does, it's still a highly social game with plenty of players. I used to play, and I keep active in a community of a lot of ex-PWI players so I listed it as "popular" based not only on my experiences, but also various popular MMORPG lists.
  • Rayne_ - Harshlands
    Rayne_ - Harshlands Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've had several relationships that started with this game. I'm happy to contribute.

I firmly believe if you really connect and care about each other, then bridging the gap shouldn't be hard. If only 1 person is willing to make the effort you end up with a lot of wasted time staring a words on a screen.

If it doesn't come to reality it's time to move on. If you only want it in the game then state that in the beginning.
    "What man would go into the dark without a light?"
    "That's a silly question. What man would go into the dark?"
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I have yes. I've noticed that smaller communities have been more helpful and willing to participate than the really large communities though. I cast a wide net, and I appreciate every response I get.

While PWI may not have the player force that a game like WoW does, it's still a highly social game with plenty of players. I used to play, and I keep active in a community of a lot of ex-PWI players so I listed it as "popular" based not only on my experiences, but also various popular MMORPG lists.

Popular usually means many people know of it, like it, and can recognize the game simply by hearing the name. Certain other games I can't mention would be considered popular because, even though some people have never played them, they'd still recognize the name. In fact, the case is usually that they've at least tried it. PWI is not that type of game, many people have never heard of it nor have they played it. It's a relatively small population of gamers that have ever actually heard of this game, let alone played it.

PWI is not really popular.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • mayral
    mayral Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options

virtual weddings are **** yea.

but I've seen some people (probably males irl, idk what makes me think like this.. FEMINISM?? lol jk..) that obviously tried to start drama by hugging/embracing or flirting with a married character when so-called "virtual wife/hubby" was there. Of course not all of them succeed, but some dob:laugh it's kinda funny I know but does it make them ****?

YES, it does. Destroying someone's relationship, (I'm not talking about hugging for chi) even if it's virtual, is simply evil.

I was married once in-game. And immediately divorced after my hubby told me that he had wife irl and he felt bad for hiding our marriage from herb:laughb:laughb:laugh

I divorced because

1. troll hubby = bad hubby

2. was serious = WORSE
    [sigpic][/sigpic]