PWI Change your in-game font ASAP

Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Suggestion Box
There are far too many people copying other player names with letters similar (uppercase I used for lowercase L and vice versa) and attempting to con faction members/players. Granted yes, everyone I know that a bit of intelligence goes a long way and its an easy scam to see through, BUT just changing the font so an uppercase I looks like I instead of l (lowercase L) will help alleviate a lot of it, and its been happening a LOT lately.

Mods, please move this where you feel it should be moved to. I wasn't sure if it should be in general or technical
WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
Post edited by Wickedbrew - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Probably goes in Suggestion Box.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    edited February 2014
    Probably goes in Suggestion Box.

That would work too b:chuckle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited February 2014
    On the topic of font, does anyone have the one used earlier in the expansion?
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can name at least 6 cases that have lately been "assaulted" by this trick on RT. Some of them fell for it, some of them did not. There seems to be someone who knows some core members of different factions and knows whom they trust and use this trust to cheat said people by making a similar toon name.

I definitely agree that the font should be changed.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Devilskarma - Raging Tide
    Devilskarma - Raging Tide Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wickedbrew, although I do agree with your reasoning and your post here, I happen to use this aspect myself to have multiple characters with the same name and have in the past used this same thing for multiple factions of the same name. As far as this goes, I personally started such the thing in order to protect my own names from being used in exactly such ways. Thus the reason I made multiple characters and factions with the same looking name. One thing PWE did actually do recently, was to make sure in the following scenario :

Let's say the name is "Doll"

You can do 2 lowercase L's...
    You can do 2 uppercase i's...
    You can do Li and iL...

If that is done, someone else can no longer spell their name : DOLL. This would come up as already being taken. That used to not be the case.

Personally, I think PWE would further **** up the game just implementing a new text, tbh. That is how incompetent I do actually believe their "in the codes and programming" staff to be at this point. And that is on the basis of seeing how further and further they have screwed up things unintentionally with each "update" over the course of years. Now of course there are other things I do see that they did intentionally, or their "solution" to an unintentional **** up was to intentionally nickel and dime us even further (Take the Auction to Commission shop BS as a very in our face example of this).

Add to this, if people themselves of certain names were actually concerned about this, they themselves would have done as I did through making certain their names can not be smeared in this manner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2014
    There are far too many people copying other player names with letters similar (uppercase I used for lowercase L and vice versa) and attempting to con faction members/players. Granted yes, everyone I know that a bit of intelligence goes a long way and its an easy scam to see through, BUT just changing the font so an uppercase I looks like I instead of l (lowercase L) will help alleviate a lot of it, and its been happening a LOT lately.

Mods, please move this where you feel it should be moved to. I wasn't sure if it should be in general or technical
    Even then they might just assume it's an alt of the original person. Ive seen that where the letters weren't able to be spoofed.

Primarily, it's all on the end of the user. If you're letting people have expensive gear, or giving out your account information, it's your own damn fault you lost it and good riddance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is why I made several characters with "identical" names to avoid any scam attempts or w/e. but a new font would be kinda weird, might take ages to adjust to it.
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    edited February 2014
    Even then they might just assume it's an alt of the original person. Ive seen that where the letters weren't able to be spoofed.

Primarily, it's all on the end of the user. If you're letting people have expensive gear, or giving out your account information, it's your own damn fault you lost it and good riddance.

And while I agree with you to some extent, there are people that play that are younger, or fairly new to MMOs that may not know any better. And simply making the letter I look like an I instead of a l would seem like a small fix to help alleviate much of the naivete associated with people new to the genre, or a bit younger that would otherwise think its someone in their faction, or a friend in game.

Just stating its their own damn fault, or good riddance, doesn't really solve the problem, and seems a bit closed minded. Plus, its not like PWI can stand to keep losing players, even if just one at a time.

As for the font change being hard to adjust to, we have had to adjust to far worse things in the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    .... Am i the only one here who hasn't forgotten the font change that came WITH THIS EXPANSION and that the forums instantly filled with demands that it be reverted (and still want changed back for NPC dialogue)?

With that font, we could differentiate between the Ls and Is, sure... but that didn't stop the demand for reversion.

While I do agree that this would be very useful for avoiding some scamming (but overall not really because most who fall for the name thing are gullible/stupid/whatever enough to fall for many others) and, more importantly, make names easier to identify properly... we'd also need a font people were willing to accept with it.

Otherwise? Even if it got changed again we'd yell and scream about it until it got changed back.

Though yeah, this goes in Suggestion box.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • y4kuzi
    y4kuzi Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, please change it back to the original classic font.
    Good old days.
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If this suggestion were to go through, I think PWE would give us that horrible Chines font and I do not want that.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Yer im watching this.t.

For what it worth I remember the OLD PW and the font on that is REALLY bad! So i can say im happy with the way it is my self.
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, name copying used to be even worse, when you could use / \ | and such in names. Have someone with an N in their name? Use two lowercase Ls with a \ inbetween! (l\l though it doesn't look that good on the forums compared to in-game) Want to inpersonate a V? Use\/! Want to impersonate an M? use lowercase Ls with a \/ in the middle! Underscores? You got it, blahblah....
    --point being that it used to be worse and there was more potential, and that way of copying names was removed. (Also all people with those characters in their name get grandfathered awesome old character status.) Unless of course it was re-added in which case just hit me with a shoe. And I"m pretty sure the font has changed in-game at least three times while I've played and all of them have been pretty 'ehh...' changes related to legibility.

So... mostily, pretty much agree with Kossy.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    OPKossy wrote: »
    .... Am i the only one here who hasn't forgotten the font change that came WITH THIS EXPANSION and that the forums instantly filled with demands that it be reverted (and still want changed back for NPC dialogue)?

With that font, we could differentiate between the Ls and Is, sure... but that didn't stop the demand for reversion.

While I do agree that this would be very useful for avoiding some scamming (but overall not really because most who fall for the name thing are gullible/stupid/whatever enough to fall for many others) and, more importantly, make names easier to identify properly... we'd also need a font people were willing to accept with it.

Otherwise? Even if it got changed again we'd yell and scream about it until it got changed back.

Though yeah, this goes in Suggestion box.

It wouldn't be that hard to change it to an acceptable font though, just don't use one that's tiny so people with tiny monitors or bad eyes can still read it. Problem solved. I don't think it's rocket science or above their abilities to pick a nice looking, legible, font that you can distinguish "I"s from "Ls"and I don't think the in-game benefits of it outweighs the monetary lost some people are facing just because they are young, dumb, naive, what have you.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    It wouldn't be that hard to change it to an acceptable font though, just don't use one that's tiny so people with tiny monitors or bad eyes can still read it. Problem solved. I don't think it's rocket science or above their abilities to pick a nice looking, legible, font that you can distinguish "I"s from "Ls"and I don't think the in-game benefits of it outweighs the monetary lost some people are facing just because they are young, dumb, naive, what have you.

While I agree in spirit.... general experience (and lack of faith) around here has me fear for what may actually happen. Both on their side and on our side. b:surrender
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    OPKossy wrote: »
    While I agree in spirit.... general experience (and lack of faith) around here has me fear for what may actually happen. Both on their side and on our side. b:surrender

Well, to be fair, it's not just picking a font, it's picking one that still maintains the integrity of all the boxes the font appears in. As we've seen in the past it can sometimes run-off. :\. But I'm sure they can think of something if they really put their minds to it. There are a lot of fonts out there. The old devs are in-house now. IDK just seems like something they could do.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!