Mystic Vids

Alexis - Lothranis
Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Mystic
So I decided to try making vids for fun and to still keep me entertained with the game. Idk if I'm gonna do them regularly or not but anyway I wanted everyone's opinions on them. This way I and maybe others can learn something. And maybe it will encourage other mystics to do the same since we need the popularity. Any feedback is appreciated as long as you give explanations so I have something to work with. f:victory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-VWX4r51MU

So I'm gonna start with a video of last week's TW, a 3h defense so lots of fun. I'm playing as support in a cata team, the way I'm trying to play it is healing/buffing whenever its needed and assisting the attack and the pushing when it's not, including debuffing/cc/damage (except the last mins of the tw when neither team had time to win, I just went for free pk).

It's a work in progress, I already have in mind some mistakes I did and things I could've done better but lots of times other people can see it better which is why I'm asking for opinions.

Also you should know I just got that genie right before tw, so I was testing some things like Faith instead of AD. Faith is awesome but a lot of times I was missing AD so I might just change back. Then again I sucked at using it, used it when not needed, not use it when needed, so should prolly wait a bit. I also have 40 extra points on it to decide if I want them in vit or mag.

P.S Who wanted can see SM's new animation since I basically spam it when I'm attacking (maybe a bit to much).
Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
Post edited by Alexis - Lothranis on

Comments

• Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I haven't watched all the video yet, but I just want to thank you because it will be really useful to me b:thanks
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Jelloid - Sanctuary
    Jelloid - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great vid! I liked how you were always a step ahead of the cata barbs who were probably not prepared for the gale+bramble tornado b:chuckle

I miss them 3 hour TWs; pretty difficult for my fac to find a TW that lasts more than 15 mins now b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited January 2014
    I haven't watched all the video yet, but I just want to thank you because it will be really useful to me b:thanks

Oh I know ;p
    Great vid! I liked how you were always a step ahead of the cata barbs who were probably not prepared for the gale+bramble tornado b:chuckle

I miss them 3 hour TWs; pretty difficult for my fac to find a TW that lasts more than 15 mins now b:surrender

Yeah their cata pullers always tried to run past us to get to the towers so I was stalling them till our DDs caught up b:chuckle
  • HolyMyst - Harshlands
    HolyMyst - Harshlands Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cant really tell when you are using the new SM but the video is good over all
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited January 2014
    The animation isn't too flashy, just look for when it goes on cd.

Anyone got any opinions on what can i improve or mistakes to avoid?
  • MontRei - Dreamweaver
    MontRei - Dreamweaver Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm afraid I'm not a PvP expert b:shocked

I didn't see all of it cause it's 3:30 right now lol but for what I've seen you did what you signed up to, since your focus was on helping cata squad. I would have gone a little more on 'crowd control mode' and used Gale Force a little more often, but then again, I have absolutely no idea what I'd do in your place. Probably panic and holy path b:laugh

The only thing I really noticed that you had a problem with was with timing the Faith genie skill, but you can't always see it when someone is gonna stun you :P that's why I keep AD on my genie b:surrender
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited January 2014
    I had gotten a bit more practice with Faith and I really started to like it but I still missed AD a lot so I switched back to it. Gonna have to wait until I either get to 105 or better my gears to get Faith back. And I put the extra points in mag.

I recorded some pretty fun battles in NW this week. I wanted to do a vid with both the friday and sunday nw but it ended up too long even after removing the boring battles so I split it up in 2 20 mins vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ThQpVjzrc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17BzkvuwThc

Waiting your opinions on them.
  • MontRei - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2014
    I can actually give an opinion worth reading this time lol, since I go to NW on a regular basis.

I noticed that you do some things in a different way than I do, but that's probably because of the gear gap and the cultivation, since I'm a sage g16 +5 mystic. One of the things I would have used more regardless of the gear or cultivation is pets, I use mainly the devil on NW in case someone catches me by surprise. I always have my devil out because of dem sneaky sins.

Also I don't know how many times you did that and I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but I noticed you used Gale Force and then Bramble Tornado to defend from a melee class...I thought that was a risky move, as Gale Force can freeze the player in place, and the knockback won't work. I usually do that the other way around, Bramble Tornado and then Gale b:pleased

I don't remember much else that's worth mentioning, I'm sorry if I sound arrogant, that's the last thing I want to sound, I'm just stating my opinion.

Also I lol'd when the archer teleported to the side and fell down on the crystal contest b:avoid
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited January 2014
    I can actually give an opinion worth reading this time lol, since I go to NW on a regular basis.

I noticed that you do some things in a different way than I do, but that's probably because of the gear gap and the cultivation, since I'm a sage g16 +5 mystic. One of the things I would have used more regardless of the gear or cultivation is pets, I use mainly the devil on NW in case someone catches me by surprise. I always have my devil out because of dem sneaky sins.

Also I don't know how many times you did that and I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but I noticed you used Gale Force and then Bramble Tornado to defend from a melee class...I thought that was a risky move, as Gale Force can freeze the player in place, and the knockback won't work. I usually do that the other way around, Bramble Tornado and then Gale b:pleased

I don't remember much else that's worth mentioning, I'm sorry if I sound arrogant, that's the last thing I want to sound, I'm just stating my opinion.

Also I lol'd when the archer teleported to the side and fell down on the crystal contest b:avoid

I guess there are times when I run around without a pet when I shouldn't. I should try especially switching pets around more to get the demon chi bonuses. Using the devil in defense mode might be a good idea, I just wouldn't like him wasting stun on targets that are easy oneshots or start auto-attacking casters with purify. Hmm maybe try to actively switch Defend-Manual-Defend...I'll try to play around with this more.

GF - BT is a bad(in a way) habit I picked up from handling opposing flag carriers and cata-pullers in tw. Even if the target is froze you can still knock him back so it's not 'risky'. I use this to my advantage with running targets to not risk them running past me and pushing them in the wrong direction. But I picked up this combo and now use it against targets that are attacking me, and it's pretty redundant to use knockback as cc while the target is already froze/sealed I guess. Other way around would be more efficient, especially since the knockback distance is 13m, exactly the range of GF :) But I'll have to get rid of the habit.

No need for sorrys, in fact I really thank you for your post. I like this thread to be more about discussions about PvP situations like these(since we did lack these for a while) than just me showing off some vids.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I haven't watched the video yet, but I wanted to share my point about some things that have been written.

Using the devil in defense mode might be a good idea, I just wouldn't like him wasting stun on targets that are easy oneshots or start auto-attacking casters with purify.

Actually I think that pet in defense mode is still better than having it in auto-attack mode. But since some weeks (or more), I've been using it in manual mode more often (and sometimes I don't even have pets, which is not a good thing though). "Wasting" stun on one-shots target is not that much a bid deal, but I have more and more problems regarding casters with R9.3 weapon (especially because they now know that the pet won't deal much damage to them, so they let him alive to proc weapon). Because of that I currently don't really know what to do with Chihyu and this is a major dilemma.
    Even in manual mode, if you're not fast enough (to leech it) you can have problem because just after the stun the pet will auto-attack with a chance to proc the enemy's weapon.
    GF - BT is a bad(in a way) habit I picked up from handling opposing flag carriers and cata-pullers in tw. Even if the target is froze you can still knock him back so it's not 'risky'.

Yeah you usually can push back opponent even if you froze him, so I don't think this is a bad move and I often use it that same way. And I don't think this is that "redundant" because :
    1) you're not sure to freeze with GF
    2) the skill damage is not bad anyway

I use this to my advantage with running targets to not risk them running past me and pushing them in the wrong direction.

It happened to me sometimes (especially when I have some lags, which is often the case with my crappy connection) that instead of pushing the "fast barb" (for example) away, I help him to go faster to the delivery point b:surrender

Other way around would be more efficient, especially since the knockback distance is 13m, exactly the range of GF :)

The problem I can see with that is :
    1) you need the opponent to be really close to you (this is maybe the case each time you use that combo), otherwise you will push him away, then moving closer to him.
    2) I often noticed a bug in GF when I am exactly at max distance of the enemy : the skill seems to be cast but actually the enemy isn't touched by it.

But this is situational... Usually if an enemy is running fast at me (typically barb or BM) I use bramble tornado, hit him once or twice (or heal myself, or cast plant), then use GF. And if the enemy is already close to me, then I use GF before using bramble.
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • MontRei - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2014
    I guess there are times when I run around without a pet when I shouldn't. I should try especially switching pets around more to get the demon chi bonuses. Using the devil in defense mode might be a good idea, I just wouldn't like him wasting stun on targets that are easy oneshots or start auto-attacking casters with purify. Hmm maybe try to actively switch Defend-Manual-Defend...I'll try to play around with this more.

GF - BT is a bad(in a way) habit I picked up from handling opposing flag carriers and cata-pullers in tw. Even if the target is froze you can still knock him back so it's not 'risky'. I use this to my advantage with running targets to not risk them running past me and pushing them in the wrong direction. But I picked up this combo and now use it against targets that are attacking me, and it's pretty redundant to use knockback as cc while the target is already froze/sealed I guess. Other way around would be more efficient, especially since the knockback distance is 13m, exactly the range of GF :) But I'll have to get rid of the habit.

No need for sorrys, in fact I really thank you for your post. I like this thread to be more about discussions about PvP situations like these(since we did lack these for a while) than just me showing off some vids.

I don't really think it's a big deal, the devil running around stunning people, but I see your point. I'd love to see you trying the devil on a next video b:pleased

About the GF + BT I guess I knock people back when they're right behind something b:laugh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spread misinformation, but considering both combo variations I still like BT and then Gale. That's also a habit I picked up from NW and being constantly tackled by melee classes...First thing I wanna do is get them away from me, so I knock them back and then try to pin them down or seal them. It's a '**** hits the fan combo' I learned on the first month of NW in 2012, when you couldn't do anything without a sin on your back. b:laugh
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited January 2014
    Actually I think that pet in defense mode is still better than having it in auto-attack mode. But since some weeks (or more), I've been using it in manual mode more often (and sometimes I don't even have pets, which is not a good thing though). "Wasting" stun on one-shots target is not that much a bid deal, but I have more and more problems regarding casters with R9.3 weapon (especially because they now know that the pet won't deal much damage to them, so they let him alive to proc weapon). Because of that I currently don't really know what to do with Chihyu and this is a major dilemma.
    Even in manual mode, if you're not fast enough (to leech it) you can have problem because just after the stun the pet will auto-attack with a chance to proc the enemy's weapon.

I agree, I never use it in auto-attack in PvP, I can't see any point to it. On manual after I use it to stun a purify user I always click on 'Follow' to have it stop and come back to me and I never had any probelms with it. I guess, on defense, after it stuns a purify user put it on manual and use 'Follow' (or 'Halt') to make it stop attacking. Though I wonder if you can't use pet while you're stunned if you at least can call it back :/ The new CM said he's looking for bugs, I think it's at least worth mentioning this. If we're lucky and it really is a bug and not intended then and they fix it we can always keep it on manual and do everything ourselves. But untill that/if it happens we'll have to play around with manual/defense + attack/follow/halt.
    2) I often noticed a bug in GF when I am exactly at max distance of the enemy : the skill seems to be cast but actually the enemy isn't touched by it.

This is what happens with all skills, but it's easier to spot with GF cause of its short range. What happens is when you use any skill at exactly the minimum range you need to be (which always happens if you use it when you're not in range and your char has to walk closer to the target), you start channeling it and during this time if your target moves back out of range you will still finish casting the skill but nothing will happen. But your skill will still enter cd and you'll lose the chi.

I'll keep trying different ways to use BT and GF and see how they fare.
  • Mysticboob - Sanctuary
    Mysticboob - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Though I wonder if you can't use pet while you're stunned if you at least can call it back :/

You can call it back or halt it while stunned, but can't tell it to attack something new. It will attack something new while stunned if in def mode and you are attacked.
    youtube.com/TheMysticBoob
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I got some practice with it his weekend. After I got used to it, right after I saw his stun going on cd, if I didn't wanna leech it I'd just manual->follow since I didn't need him to do anything else and so it never procced a purify caster. Only thing I didn't like was it going to stun someone with antistun on, though that didn't happen very often and it saved my but a lot of times from sins and especially archers.
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited February 2014
    I got another TW vid done, it's actually from last week but been pretty lazy with the editing. Was a hard one since we were missing quite a few signups, but was a fun long one worth recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bh6ew-zy6c

Looking at it I think I should be trying to use my chi more often. I see myself staying at full chi a lot.