Frost Splash, Worth it.

Options
XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear
XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear Posts: 278 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Archer
So my friend in game was saving up bloods for Frost Splash and its amazing. More amazing so for demons over sages at least cuz demon archers dont use their frost arrow.

http://i39.tinypic.com/veyq10.png

This is his diagram from testing, the 5 volleys cannot be stopped once its channeled by seal, have yet to know if stun affects it or not because its treated as 1 attack and not 5 separate attacks. So best example of this is: if your initial target is a psy with good soulforce and you get sealed from the first volley animation the remaining 4 still go off as if it wasn't interrupted. It goes off faster than Barrage, he was actually using it very effectively in the TW we just had yesterday with good results. When he tested it on me, I didn't even notice the fact that the first 3 volleys ticked my charm. Overall quite an impressive skill even for its 3 minute CD. I know I can't wait to get it.
Post edited by XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Jarkhen - Archosaur
    Jarkhen - Archosaur Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I do like the AOE range (I wasn't aware it was quite that large)... but the amount of damage it does per hit is far from notable.

It's an interesting tradeoff with that large of an AoE range though. I think I'll have to grab it and see for myself before I really decide how useful it is.
    Current: http://mypers.pw/1.8/#133167
    105-103-102

TW/NW Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Axel3200

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    How long does the slow effect last? What's turning me off about the skill is only 1.5s for the frozen debuff and the functional overlap with barrage. My plan at the moment is to get it after maxing the passives.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm definitely not going to argue that the passive defense and crit skills are better to get as an archer. But Frost Splash has its uses and its on my list to get.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    There is a difference between Seal and Interrupt. Some spells Seal and Interrupt, some spells Interrupt, some spells just Seal. Is it not interruptable by say, Soul of Silence or by something like FoW?

I just think the 3min cooldown is not warranted, considering you're constrained by chi more than anything, it's not going to be spammable anyway.

The passive is pretty damn awesome. I think I saw that I retained some defensive stats even after getting armor/mind break by Venos, though that's still a **** low number it's better than nothing.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Basically check and see if the following interrupts it:

Force of Will
    Landslide
    Bramble Tornado
    Bewitch
    Knife Throw
    Spell Cutter
    Alacrity of the Beast

iirc, silence from SoS does not interrupt channeling. Same with the seal from SoG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'd take sage frost over it but I'm demon so I'll get it eventually; have demon frost and deadly shot anyways
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    Jarkhen - Archosaur Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    How long does the slow effect last? What's turning me off about the skill is only 1.5s for the frozen debuff and the functional overlap with barrage.

Normally I'd probably use barrage as well, but if that diagram is correct you're looking at something able to hit quite a few more targets than BoA in some situations. I could see it useful when there are a bunch of targets that are squishy enough for Frost Splash to be enough, but that aren't grouped up quite enough for barrage.
    Current: http://mypers.pw/1.8/#133167
    105-103-102

TW/NW Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Axel3200

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Think it's supposed to play off archer's debuffing (which is totally archer's strong point)

From what I read in the translation you have 5 quick waves that have chance of procing equipment effect (ie: purge) and there's a chance for a small amp on top of it. Don't know if it can really purge though maybe I read it wrong.

Really they need to throw in AOE poison and bleed for good measure too.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Thehaxshot - Heavens Tear
    Thehaxshot - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Frost Splash needs to be a 30 Second cooldown skill , costing no sparks

at least 450 % damage per shot and

Demon : increased damage

Sage : Water damage instead of physical damage
  • KingThis - Heavens Tear
    KingThis - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    lol was that diagram made from factual data lol?

Because the skill is garbage. I'll stick to my sage Frost arrow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <3 SLITNOTb:chuckle
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Basically check and see if the following interrupts it:

Force of Will
    Landslide
    Bramble Tornado
    Bewitch
    Knife Throw
    Spell Cutter
    Alacrity of the Beast

iirc, silence from SoS does not interrupt channeling. Same with the seal from SoG.

SoS doesn't. BoA wouldn't work in TW if i got interrupted every time i hit a random psy buff and it procs.

There are also a few genie skills that can interrupt channeling.
  • RabidFishy - Raging Tide
    RabidFishy - Raging Tide Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    it's interruptable, based off the sin skill elimination also being interruptable but being similar in cast style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The skill to me is another situational 2 spark AoE, that I could use over barrage is some circumstances. Yes it may not hit as hard as we'd like but its still not terrible for the skills it combines at least for demons. Yes Sage archers would most likely still want to hold onto their frost arrow. Also another notable thing about Frost Splash, if your target runs out of range while channeling the skill it wont cancel, the skill will still go off. The other really good thing about it, is its stupidly large AoE as my friend put it in the picture there in my OP., which we found out yesterday he did a little math wrong with the angles and its actually larger, lol.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    20$ SoSt would interrupt this. Better hope no Psys have it up or anti-stun first.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Astraelys - Raging Tide
    Astraelys - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So 5 volleys but how much time take do the 5 volleys? 5s, 1s each volley? or take more?
  • twistertornado
    twistertornado Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Skill description reads 5 attacks over 2.5 seconds, thus one volley every 0.5 seconds.

Regarding the psychic skill, SoS did not stop the remaining 4 volleys after taking effect. Didn't do any testing for stuns, interrupt or death yet...I'd assume those options would work. Bottom line, its a fairly effective AoE for those situations when barrage simply isn't an option.
    edited January 2014
    Options
    20$ SoSt would interrupt this. Better hope no Psys have it up or anti-stun first.

Hand over that 20 bucks cuz SoS doesn't interrupt Barrage's iterations and like I said already done testing on almost a full +12 psy his SoS didn't interrupt.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hand over that 20 bucks cuz SoS doesn't interrupt Barrage's iterations and like I said already done testing on almost a full +12 psy his SoS didn't interrupt.

SoSt. As in Soul of Stunning.

Now you're in the hole 20 bucks for taking a sucker's bet. b:chuckle
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hoping you already know the difference between SoS and SoSt?

SoS - Soul of Silence - doesn't interrupt e.g. BoA

SoSt - Soul of Stunning - interrupts and stuns unless anti stunned e.g. boa on a psy with SoSt up w/o anti stun will interrupt boa and stun you..

So you're saying this isn't the case with this new skill?

Edit: Damn kossy beat me to it b:surrender
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • opkossy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Edit: Damn kossy beat me to it b:surrender

f:sneaky
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    He was talking about Soul of Stunning not Soul of Silence (notice the t in SoSt D:).
    I'd also want to know more about this skill; not that I have an Archer but I want to be aware of what it does and how it works.

Edit: Ninja'd by Kossy as well ._.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options

Kossy too OP b:sad
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • opkossy
    edited January 2014
    Options

Kossy too OP b:sad

My streak continues! f:sneaky
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I was thinking about the 1.5second stun. Assuming it's the Ice Prison debuff I think I remember that it refreshes itself unlike most stuns. If you get lucky you could get up to a 3.5s stun.

I wrote a quick script to help me visualize how long of a stun you will get out of the 5 volleys. Overall though it still looks pretty weak. Below is a bar graph that shows it. You roughly get 0s 1/3 of the time, 1.5s 1/3 of the time, and 2.0-3.0s 1/3 of the time. Sage stun on average is .25s longer

demon
    0.0s: ████████████████ 32.756%
    0.5s: 0.000%
    1.0s: 0.000%
    1.5s: ████████████████████ 40.979%
    2.0s: ████ 8.185%
    2.5s: ███ 7.692%
    3.0s: ████ 8.444%
    3.5s: 1.943%

Ave: 1.29s

sage
    0.0s: ███████████ 23.733%
    0.5s: 0.000%
    1.0s: 0.000%
    1.5s: ███████████████████ 39.575%
    2.0s: █████ 10.587%
    2.5s: █████ 10.531%
    3.0s: █████ 11.997%
    3.5s: █ 3.577%

Ave: 1.55s
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    edited January 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    SoSt. As in Soul of Stunning.

Now you're in the hole 20 bucks for taking a sucker's bet. b:chuckle

Well I'm screwed then oh well, Even if SoST was up, I can usually see that icon on a psy and will preemptively use WoG or AD or something to get around it. SoS is more annoying in my opinion just due to the fact that you can't always tell when it goes off.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Well I'm screwed then oh well, Even if SoST was up, I can usually see that icon on a psy and will preemptively use WoG or AD or something to get around it. SoS is more annoying in my opinion just due to the fact that you can't always tell when it goes off.

SoSt has a 0.5s channel time. They could bring it up during your frost splash casting. Can you even cancel frost splash after the casting starts? I dounbt it.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    edited January 2014
    Options
    SoSt has a 0.5s channel time. They could bring it up during your frost splash casting. Can you even cancel frost splash after the casting starts? I dounbt it.

I said using Wings of Grace prior to engaging said Psy. And in the cases I'd be using it I'd have immunity up anyway like you would when you go to barrage a large group. Its kinda pointless to go in without some sort of protection on just to get owned or have it go down after 1 iteration (in the case of barrage). Also even if the psy timed it to have their SoST trigger, the 5 volleys would be done, and I'd still have about 12 secs of anti stun remaining. The 5 volleys of Frost Splash trigger in a total of 2.5 secs, that better be a damn good psy or they must have some really speedy comp.
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I said using Wings of Grace prior to engaging said Psy. And in the cases I'd be using it I'd have immunity up anyway like you would when you go to barrage a large group. Its kinda pointless to go in without some sort of protection on just to get owned or have it go down after 1 iteration (in the case of barrage). Also even if the psy timed it to have their SoST trigger, the 5 volleys would be done, and I'd still have about 12 secs of anti stun remaining. The 5 volleys of Frost Splash trigger in a total of 2.5 secs, that better be a damn good psy or they must have some really speedy comp.

You're being slightly dishonest here. You clearly stated you would WoG if you SAW SoSt. If they bring it up while you're casting, it would definitely be off when you start casting.

2.5 seconds is ample time to cast SoSt, which will trigger (iirc) after its .5 second channeling time.
    edited January 2014
    Options
    You're being slightly dishonest here. You clearly stated you would WoG if you SAW SoSt. If they bring it up while you're casting, it would definitely be off when you start casting.

2.5 seconds is ample time to cast SoSt, which will trigger (iirc) after its .5 second channeling time.

Wont deny that I said that, BUT also the case if you're going into AoE one person not in a group setting, that's extremely wasteful. As I also stated 95% of the time Archer's set up barrage on a group or could be using Frost Splash, you'd be going full immune, to get in and get out alive. Still making SoST null in this case cuz you wouldn't get the negative effects. Not going immune to do so is just asking to owned.
  • Connera - Heavens Tear
    Connera - Heavens Tear Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure where you got 45 degrees in your picture. I'm assuming 45 is correct, so below is a picture to scale with correct distances.

But where did you get that 45 degree measurement from?

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/295Conner/redone_zpsd4006da5.jpg
    I'm hated by former friends, entire factions, PWE, and people I've never met before. I'm hated on servers I've never logged onto.

... and I honestly wasn't even trying.

Enrage has nothing on me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]