Mystic in PvP?

Burgenstein - Harshlands
Burgenstein - Harshlands Posts: 41 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Mystic
So, I have a few questions about mystics in pvp, playing from the mystics perspective. (for the purpose of this thread I'd like to assume the gear/refines/shards of all parties involved are identical.

I have been reading up on mystics now for a few weeks, I've been playing them ever since they were released and I find them to be the most fun class of all to play. However, I seem to run into issues in pvp against HA classes. I have little problem taking out other casters with spark-->mistress leech --> Rapid growth --> NV -->Absorb soul. I have also found that the same combo works extremely well for LA geared players too.

The problem (I've found) is that I cant deal enough damage quickly enough to bring down an endgame seeker or barb if they're charmed.

Does anyone have any advice on taking out HA classes in 1v1? o:

Also, How useful do you guys find Thicket in PVP? Personally I dont use it much as I dont think the 2 sparks is worth the damage it does and GF is a cheaper way of sealing the target.

Thank you for your time ~
Burg is the word
Post edited by Burgenstein - Harshlands on

Comments

• Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Try sublime transfusion.
    But a full R9.3+12 barb with good shards and NW reforged items can be hard to kill for every class 1v1

There are a lot of threads regarding ticket if you want. I personnaly don't really use it but demon version can help in mass pvp
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I mostly use thicket in mass pvp on groups or in the case of people you cannot get close to/need to catch for whatever reason. Obviously, don't use on people with puri proc weps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You basically have 2 options.

- get them to near half hp and do an amped (rapid growth/myst leech/1,2,3 spark) lucky break + weeping breeze dance to bypass their charm, or if their too tanky

- get them to near half hp, use sublime transfusion (same gear -> ~30% less heal from charm) and weeping breeze dance (7% less hp) to tick the charm and you have 10 seconds to dps the rest of their hp. Again RG/ML/Sparks, combine them however you need, all 3 stack with eachother so use that in your favor. Lowered def from creeper, amp from thicket (if you're demon), and extreme poison are a plus.

In the past, when leeching mystress wasn't enough I had more luck leeching devil and getting a few crits in a row to take down tanky targets, but its somewhat more dependent on luck then a steady increase.

I use Thicket pretty regularly for its higher chance and longer seal/freeze then gale force, but I am demon so I also always hope for the amp proc.
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm a proponent of Thicket use. It's especially effective against kiting archers who you can't get close enough to for Gale Force. They can't Holy Path away if they're frozen, and can't use Wings of Grace if they're sealed. They're forced to use their genie or die.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, I have a few questions about mystics in pvp, playing from the mystics perspective. (for the purpose of this thread I'd like to assume the gear/refines/shards of all parties involved are identical.

I have been reading up on mystics now for a few weeks, I've been playing them ever since they were released and I find them to be the most fun class of all to play. However, I seem to run into issues in pvp against HA classes. I have little problem taking out other casters with spark-->mistress leech --> Rapid growth --> NV -->Absorb soul. I have also found that the same combo works extremely well for LA geared players too.

The problem (I've found) is that I cant deal enough damage quickly enough to bring down an endgame seeker or barb if they're charmed.

Does anyone have any advice on taking out HA classes in 1v1? o:

Also, How useful do you guys find Thicket in PVP? Personally I dont use it much as I dont think the 2 sparks is worth the damage it does and GF is a cheaper way of sealing the target.

Thank you for your time ~

This really depends on buffs. An endgame-sharded/refined fully buffed seeker generally can't be solo'ed by a mystic save for a ton of luck, but OTOH they generally can't kill a mystic either, as long as both are +12 and properly sharded.

If they're self-buffed then the duels should end pretty quick.

Remember full buffs can increase survivability by as much as 300%, so my answer would be to call for a purgebot to purge the seeker, or be extremely lucky in terms of getting crits exactly when you need them.

Thicket is still godlike vs any non-puri target in a support role, but you sacrifice a lot of damage potential for it. In that sense, if you actually want a chance to kill a fully buffed seeker you're simply going to have to tank his damage and avoid his CC's while concentrating on DPS (chances are you won't be able to charm bypass him).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Burgenstein - Harshlands
    Burgenstein - Harshlands Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you everyone for the supportive responses :D they are very much appreciated. I shall take on board what has been said here and put it into practice during the next opportunity I get.

P.S I shall probably have more mystic questions in the future, so much to learn!!
    Burg is the word
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    ChevaIier - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thicket may or may not be useless depending on your gear and the situation.

If you're high geared (R9RR+) and I see you using thicket on an equal geared I'm just gonna laugh at you.

If you're low geared in comparison to the target and it's a group pvp situation you may use thicket.

If you're high geared and using thicket on a lower geared you're probably just trolling.
  • Puddinsundae - Harshlands
    Puddinsundae - Harshlands Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thicket may or may not be useless depending on your gear and the situation.

If you're high geared (R9RR+) and I see you using thicket on an equal geared I'm just gonna laugh at you.

If you're low geared in comparison to the target and it's a group pvp situation you may use thicket.

If you're high geared and using thicket on a lower geared you're probably just trolling.

But... But I have demon thicket and I wanna show off. :c
  • Domethies - Raging Tide
    Domethies - Raging Tide Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay so this is probably the biggest noob mystic question ever. With mobs targeted, i hit a heal and i heal myself. Doing pvp on my mystic though i keep healing the person im fighting by accident. Is there a way to heal myself while having another player targetted so im not clicking about on the screen and can focus more on using skills? b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited January 2014
    Click on the little shield icon in the top-left corner of your screen. This let's you adjust various PK settings on whether you can buff/heal others or not.
    edited January 2014
    Click on the little shield icon in the top-left corner of your screen. This let's you adjust various PK settings on whether you can buff/heal others or not.

b:laugh i have everything ticked, i heal other players, i untick everything i heal other players b:chuckle maybe i shouldnt pvp im soo bad at this

could you tell what to tick so i dont heal players im trying to kill but can still heal and buff squad member? would be a great help >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I usually just click on the squad icon of the player I want to heal/buff, but I know - being a 'clicker' is sooooo very '80's. b:chuckle

There at least used to be something like a 'shift+f1, f2, f3, etc' for healing/buffing a squad, but I can't say Ive used that since 10-man squads came out, and I dont know if its still available. b:surrender
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    b:laugh i have everything ticked, i heal other players, i untick everything i heal other players b:chuckle maybe i shouldnt pvp im soo bad at this

could you tell what to tick so i dont heal players im trying to kill but can still heal and buff squad member? would be a great help >_<

So umm uncheck EVERYTHING apart from tick the following;

1) Faction Protections - stops you from pwning your guildies
    2) If target is not in your squad screen all nuetral blessing to yourself or w/e its called.

This second one will heal your self when your target is not in your squad.
    --Remember to uncheck this for NW, and TW, and tick it for world PvP/PK.
    --I always forget and end up casting alacrity on myself and zoom into some bushes while the random flag carrier gets facerolled in NW. b:laugh
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • FistToDeath - Dreamweaver
    FistToDeath - Dreamweaver Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I usually just click on the squad icon of the player I want to heal/buff, but I know - being a 'clicker' is sooooo very '80's. b:chuckle

There at least used to be something like a 'shift+f1, f2, f3, etc' for healing/buffing a squad, but I can't say Ive used that since 10-man squads came out, and I dont know if its still available. b:surrender

It still works, but it's too confusing with 10 people in squad. Shift + 1, Shift +2, +3, +4...
    edited January 2014
    b:laugh thanks guys i no longer heal other people woot wootb:laugh

still die all the time though, managed to get a kill on somone after they had killed me with the swirling mist skill thoughb:victory, i find ~lvl70 pk the most fun gotta admit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobojenkinsgogo
    bobojenkinsgogo Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't know why so many mystics con-people into spending there hard earned money and time into building a toon that will ultimately fail in endgame pvp. It's almost as if you guys are so pissed off at wasting your time that you want anyone that comes to the mystic forum to suffer along with you.

In all honesty mystic has some nice skills a lot of cc but what a mystic lacks is def I can't even count how many times I've laid of an r9rr mystic with my archer and I also cant count how many times I've heard r9rr mystics cry about wasting their money on a character that is ultimately middle class at best in pvp. (Im not talking about support)

Damage output sucks and I know you're gonna spam me with all the lucky break combos in the world but you guys forget that you have to run through 3 animations before actually landing a shot. That's ***** lame.

Only people that have a hard time killing mystics are low lvl or under geared players. So if you want to pve by all means mystic is awesome... I actually love the game play on mystic but if we are talking about pvp and not supportive pvp then why waste your money when you can have a much more op toon picking something else like... I dunno... wizard, archer, cleric, seeker,psy (in no general order... shall I go on?)
  • MissCherie - Harshlands
    MissCherie - Harshlands Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't know why so many mystics con-people into spending there hard earned money and time into building a toon that will ultimately fail in endgame pvp. It's almost as if you guys are so pissed off at wasting your time that you want anyone that comes to the mystic forum to suffer along with you.

In all honesty mystic has some nice skills a lot of cc but what a mystic lacks is def I can't even count how many times I've laid of an r9rr mystic with my archer and I also cant count how many times I've heard r9rr mystics cry about wasting their money on a character that is ultimately middle class at best in pvp. (Im not talking about support)

Damage output sucks and I know you're gonna spam me with all the lucky break combos in the world but you guys forget that you have to run through 3 animations before actually landing a shot. That's ***** lame.

Only people that have a hard time killing mystics are low lvl or under geared players. So if you want to pve by all means mystic is awesome... I actually love the game play on mystic but if we are talking about pvp and not supportive pvp then why waste your money when you can have a much more op toon picking something else like... I dunno... wizard, archer, cleric, seeker,psy (in no general order... shall I go on?)

If you can take down a R9rr mystic that easily than you must be able to do it with all casters class, mystic have the second best defenses of all casters and the best survivability.

You must have met really unskilled mystics.
  • bobojenkinsgogo
    bobojenkinsgogo Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you can take down a R9rr mystic that easily than you must be able to do it with all casters class, mystic have the second best defenses of all casters and the best survivability.

You must have met really unskilled mystics.

That's what I keep hearing but if you think about it pdef only counts for so much... most of the time I can keep the pressure on a mystic where all its doing is heal spamming with no retaliation. While a cleric can throw up a shield and damage soak or sleep me. Even a wiz has more ways to get out of a sticky situation than a mystic in my opinion. Hopefully things will change with the instant lysing.

Most mystics I've fought don't even know that they can leech without a pet so they waste time summoning a pet just to anti stun its ridiculous.

But what really hinders a mystic is the short range and no real way to close the gap outside a puri proc or a holy path. So most of the time they are getting kited or are too close to run from getting owned by other ranged classes.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited February 2014
    That's what I keep hearing but if you think about it pdef only counts for so much...

That's facts... Mystics have the best survivability than any other casters which doesn't mean you can't maybe kill a mystic easily but that if you can kill a mystic easily you will probably kill other casters (same gear) even more easily.

Most mystics I've fought don't even know that they can leech without a pet so they waste time summoning a pet just to anti stun its ridiculous.

If you're saying that you only fight mystics that don't know their class, maybe this is not the best example possible, right ?
    And leeching pets is not only for anti-stun anyway (but you need a summon to get other effects)

But what really hinders a mystic is the short range and no real way to close the gap outside a puri proc or a holy path. So most of the time they are getting kited or are too close to run from getting owned by other ranged classes.

Since you play an archer I have to agree with that. But this is the case for all casters (except maybe wizard) against archers, no ?

On which server(s) are you playing by the way ?
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
    edited February 2014
    Energy Leech - you dont need a pet to use it (or at least you used to didnt need a pet to use it;) just like you dont need a plant to use Lysing. I dont think there is any point to using Lysing without a plant, though. b:chuckle

Falling Petals - a HoT (heal over time) spell you can use on yourself.

Vital Herb...if its not powerful enough combine with Healing Herb.

Gaia's Blessing - yay, another HoT spell. :D

Charm maybe?? b:surrender

Salvation + Energy Leech; or just target yourself for Aegis Shield.

There is no reason to spam heal yourself, unless you are totally focused on stunning and killing for the first things you do.

Quote: If one is to travel far along the Mystic path, one must learn to desire power -
    but passively, and with all their heart and mind and soul.

Moral of Quote: Think and take your time.
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    ChevaIier - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited February 2014

LOL? AN ARCHER BEATING A MYSTIC? OH MY GOD.

Actually yes. This happens very often, especially after purge. The only reason why this occurs is because the mystic doesn't know how to build their defences properly. BUT.

At this moment of my gear, Archers are literally garbage in front of my mystic. I'l explain my gear later. But an archer with +10 Mag cube neck with +10 gears sharded for citrine and with a +12 bow will always 100% lose to my mystic. Why? Because the moment a mystic has enough defences and with a weapon refinement at about +11 or more Archers are screwed.

Let me put it in perspective:

I hit LA's for approximately solid 11k with crit. Why do I say with crit? Because when I leech chiyu, which gives me 36k pdef and 48% crit by the way (idk why you said it's a waste of time), makes me crit on archers about 3/4 times. Especially with our burst attack, yes it's weak, but with a combination of chiyu I crit basically 11K, 12K, 11K, 6K -> Dead.

On another note, an archer as I just described, takes 18k with Absorb Soul proc if we were 1v1'ing self buffed. Not even joking lawl. Absorb soul is broken as ****.

My current gear: +12 g15 cube neck, Dominance tome, with a mix of +7 and +10 r9rr gear. Weapon refinement is +11.

I don't know how often my mystic has consistently wrecked people who are even half JOSD to full JOSD. So yea, for yourself please learn the class before saying leeching without a chiyu or storm is useless lol because it's the staple of our class.

Also for other mystics, please friggen learn your class so these people will stop creating accounts in Jan 2014 with 3 posts to troll on our forums and saying how much we suck.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My only complaint about mystics atm is pet scaling. It's ridiculous that I have to waste CC time/kite/run away just to actually get out a pet to for the 2 seconds needed to sac it when fighting seekers/psys/etc. I realize our pets aren't supposed to actually be useful like venos, but if they can't even fulfill their purpose of being alive for the 2 seconds needed to sac it, then that's a problem...It's not that uncommon for me to end up with just the antistun because some random dude decided to look at my pet the wrong way during it's 1 second cast time.

Getting 50% stats from gear does NOT work, and we have en entire ult that's made almost pointless because of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • MissCherie - Harshlands
    MissCherie - Harshlands Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My only complaint about mystics atm is pet scaling. It's ridiculous that I have to waste CC time/kite/run away just to actually get out a pet to for the 2 seconds needed to sac it when fighting seekers/psys/etc. I realize our pets aren't supposed to actually be useful like venos, but if they can't even fulfill their purpose of being alive for the 2 seconds needed to sac it, then that's a problem...It's not that uncommon for me to end up with just the antistun because some random dude decided to look at my pet the wrong way during it's 1 second cast time.

Getting 50% stats from gear does NOT work, and we have en entire ult that's made almost pointless because of it.

What I do sometime in PVP/TW it's I summon them than I put them on halt and I go away from them, they can be pretty much at a good distance of you and energy leech doesn't have range.

They usually get kill cause of the AOE, not cause someone directly attack them, so if they are not to close of you (and people around you) then they are pretty much safe til you need them for leech.

A difference with veno is our summons get summon at half HP while veno's pets get call at the amount of HP they had the last time they was stow, so if their nix or w/e was full HP then they call them at full HP which is not the case for us. Even in PVE half of the time when I summon they get kill the second they appear cause they are half HP so I need to summon again til I get the chance to have a second to heal them before the boss/mobs AOE, while if they was summon full HP that would not be an issue.

But in PVP/TW/NW they get one shot no matter what, since our summons are not use directly to DD like the veno's pets are they should have made them with more defense/survivability. (or at least devil and salvation)

But as I said the only trick I found was to put them on halt and to don't stand next to them. (for when I plan to use them for leeching, for CC than it's an other story)
  • hadesgabriel
    hadesgabriel Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With the class favoritism on the sin i'm surprised of this topic myst in pvp
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited March 2014

Which means ?
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited March 2014
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no idea what that meant.
    edited March 2014

Im thinking, "With a lot of people making sins (for PK?), Im surprised by this topic about Mystics in PvP."

But I didnt use Google Translator or anything, so who knows? *shrugs*
  • _tacoma_ - Raging Tide
    _tacoma_ - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So.. I don't really care about the whole 'are mystic's ****ty or not discussion'. I'm just wondering what are some decent pvp combos for us mystics x.x i'm still learning the class and loving it so far (: and I am patient enough to learn this class because I see a lot of potential. So, any other decent combos from the ones I have seen? or any important facts I should know about the class?? i'm newby and always down to learn ^.^ thank you so much. b:cute
  • hadesgabriel
    hadesgabriel Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm saying that the myst is not design for pvp we have only 4 ranged skills (that we can access with no major chi ) one req a charge and 2 close with slow chance of doing some dmg and healings almost any class can pass over or heals stun after stun and silence and pets when you get stun they get stun plants small chance of sleep after they kill you
    edited March 2014
    I'm saying that the myst is not design for pvp we have only 4 ranged skills (that we can access with no major chi ) one req a charge and 2 close with slow chance of doing some dmg and healings almost any class can pass over or heals stun after stun and silence and pets when you get stun they get stun plants small chance of sleep after they kill you

Okies, well, the problem here is that no 2 Mystics are alike. I have yet to meet a Mystic - either Sage or Demon - that ever claimed any problem with chi. If your Mystic is having a problem with chi there are things in the game that help with that, like pots and cloud eruption on your genie. Going Sage would give you Master Li's technique as well.

Ive met plenty of Mystics that only made their Mystic to PK with, and even on PvE servers.

TL;DR: Whats chi got to do with anything? o.0

I always personally found a comprably geared sin to be an easy kill in TW at least. Just keep myself alive till I can get a target on him, bramble tornado to get him away from me, and his backside is history.

Anyone care to report any issue fighting a sin? b:surrender

All that being said, Im sure what I would aim to gear up for a PK char. Although a lot of people PK on Sins very well, I dont think a sin would be my first choice, unless I planned to farm with it too.

A mystic would be an easy choice to PK on provided I could achieve the max gears. I know the skills already.

Its a 'thinking man's' class though, so if one is doing the best they can to just keep up with heals, maybe they should make a Sin to PK on too.

TL;DR Its an individual choice per the gamer in question what to PK on.