Losing before the battle even starts?

Options
Longknife - Harshlands
Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Arigora Colosseum
This is more a commentary/question for other servers on the whole:

Do any other servers suffer from a mentality of "fear," where one side is SOOOO afraid of dying, losing or otherwise "failing" that they end up blowing it for their side completely simply by -having- that mentality? Anyone who plays Harshlands server knows this is something I'll sound like a broken record about in regards to some people, but I bring this up now cause I think I finally have a sort of visual representation of what I mean.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAZxdQmrQ0

(and no, before anyone assumes otherwise, I'm not bragging about winning that. If anything, I actually think my gameplay in that vid was quite poor (three spots where my mistakes cost me or an ally a life) and my point is more that such battles are actually incredibly doable if you simply have half a brain and the balls to...yknow, TRY?)

We're outnumbered there, and for those who aren't Harshlands and can't recognize the faces, no, my buds and I don't simply outgear them. Infact, the very first Psy you see outgears me a decent bit (check out Vengence reflect damage on each other, I'm basically +12 wep and +8 armors vs his full +12 JOSD) and there's about ~4 others in that battle (sins and mystic) that outgear anyone I have. Despite all of this, even BEFORE the numbers are even, my squad is effectively winning that fight. Partly due to smarter gameplay imo, but also (and more importantly) partly due to the other side being too afraid to act; we take risks, they take absolutely zero. Thus while they sit waiting for opportunist moments that simply aren't realistic whatsoever and never come and 1-2 of them have laughable IG dependence, we dare to try and we're rewarded for it. Showed the vid to a couple people and got immediate comments of "wow X player is in full retreat the moment you even MOVE." I mean there's absolutely no reason they couldn't coordinate stuns on me to get easy kills, but it never happens because half the team is too busy trying to use one another as a human shield.

So I'm just curious: Is this attitude of fear prominent on other servers and does it cripple players/guilds there too? (keep in mind no naming and shaming) More risk, more reward, imo. :P Anyone disagree?
I <3 AGOREY
Post edited by Longknife - Harshlands on

Comments

• _dblazen_ - Dreamweaver
    _dblazen_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    No, sad truth is once people have the requirements to get tokens, the most profitable way for most people who can not compete gear wise is to just hop from battle to battle to rack up points, there's plenty of people who play like especially with the kind of odds your battle shows, that doesn't always mean you lose the odds, but for most people it will be more profitable to move on to the next due to the probability of either;
    A.) the battle is going to take too long for the points to be worth it
    or
    B.) they don't have the gear to compete and THINK they will lose it regardless, thus move along.

And then there's those who literally do 1 full battle and then just hop from battle to battle to rack up points (for reasons such as not being able to compete gearwise and getting tired of being oneshot, to obtain points they otherwise would not get).
    What's even more fun, entering such a battle and then leaving them gives almost (if not completely) the same amount of points upon win or defeat as staying in there the entire battle.
    So if that still is true to this day then no, more risk is definitely not more reward, perhaps egowise.

At least that was true from when I still was doing NW, been a while.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    No, sad truth is once people have the requirements to get tokens, the most profitable way for most people who can not compete gear wise is to just hop from battle to battle to rack up points, there's plenty of people who play like especially with the kind of odds your battle shows, that doesn't always mean you lose the odds, but for most people it will be more profitable to move on to the next due to the probability of either;
    A.) the battle is going to take too long for the points to be worth it
    or
    B.) they don't have the gear to compete and THINK they will lose it regardless, thus move along.

And then there's those who literally do 1 full battle and then just hop from battle to battle to rack up points (for reasons such as not being able to compete gearwise and getting tired of being oneshot, to obtain points they otherwise would not get).
    What's even more fun, entering such a battle and then leaving them gives almost (if not completely) the same amount of points upon win or defeat as staying in there the entire battle.
    So if that still is true to this day then no, more risk is definitely not more reward, perhaps egowise.

At least that was true from when I still was doing NW, been a while.

Uhhhm.

Well that's true, but I think you missed my point. I'm not interested in the most profitable path, I'm interested in the fun one.
    And the thread was moreso about how there's really no reason we should've won that, but the entire thing that held the opposing side back from a victory seems to be fear.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Crazybladema - Harshlands
    Crazybladema - Harshlands Posts: 425 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    It has always been that way. But, I think it originates from other things than "fear". A lot of people I pked with in the past let their nerves get the better of them. This causes people to play as if they were pking solo rather than working together as a group. Because they think of their own skin first. Making these people less effective.