Should I even stop playing wiz or reroll as a diff caster or quit totally?

clorinda
clorinda Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Wizard
HI I need help I love the wizard class alot and have played pwi along time but I gave it a 2 year brake. Ive played since 2008 i believe not sure and have a wiz main pys and cleric archer and mystic . all are low lvls except wiz and pys my pys is in her 60s i believe and my wiz 86( wanting 90) I have friends that quit and no faction and getting bh as a wiz is hard none needs you and I don't do best damage I don't have a lot of money i dont know where to start from havent played in awhile and I wanna get ready for the update the new world thing and I want to be sage and pvp and do major damage but I'm unsure of whats best to do because at this point I might quit the game totally and I really dont want to do that. I would like to enjoy the game again.I need to reach 90 on my wiz though I figured out pys has better chance but alot more lvls and no money to buy skills and you find few lower lvls anymore doing bh in the 60s realm correct me if I'm wrong. FCC could help but nones willing to help me without getting paid.and as for my other characters idk. I see almost no wiz on sanctuary and the ones I see are decked out and tell few secrets about how they got there.Needing help from a wiz thats more experienced to get somewhere in the game scince wizards are rare and I'm not sure on what to do can anyone tell me whats my best bet for my wizard?
Post edited by clorinda on

Comments

• Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You can level even without money.

As you know you can just click on button Attendance "Check -in" and get about 1% of experience at your level everyday.

Also totally free daily

World Quest is available from level 70+. The objective is to collect and exchange volumes of the World History from NPC located throughout the World.
    Rewards

Level 70-79 = 226,000 exp and 45,200 spirit
    Level 80-89 = 452,000 exp and 90,400 spirit
    Level 90+ = 678,000 exp and 135,600 spirit

You can level up to 90th level even without bhs, skipping bh69.

BH79 squads are not so rare and you can be invited as any other DD to those squads.
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Okay, ignoring the fact that the initial post is an incoherent block of text and going to try to give some useful advice:

Its been a while since I was a <100 wiz so your experience may vary a little.

BH squads, while sometimes selective, usually will allow 4 spots for not-tank-or-healer. The more picky will also demand a bm. It is, however, possible for you to take on the much feared role of person-who-forms-the-damn-squad, which of course, sucks, but at least it gets you in there.

The same goes for FCC. I know it can seem like there are no squads forming for full FCCs, but I leveled a cleric through full fccs and they actually happened pretty often, as long as you actually had someone willing to get the teles and form the squad.

Id also recommend trying to find a faction that is active, or at the very least has some active people. Having a faction with a few actives in your level range will make it magnitudes easier to find a FCC squad.

As for your money problem, do the Jolly Old Jones quests on your <80 alts, they will get you some coin.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    BH squads, while sometimes selective, usually will allow 4 spots for not-tank-or-healer. The more picky will also demand a bm.

Though this is common: I fail to see why it's the case. There are so many idiot BMs that 1-1 mobs instead of aoe, and even the non claw/fist bms don't do great aoe dmg or aggro. HF is over rated. Not disagreeing here, just posing the argument of: why?
    It is, however, possible for you to take on the much feared role of person-who-forms-the-damn-squad, which of course, sucks, but at least it gets you in there.

There are benefits to forming a squad!

1) Less wait time
    2) Power to kick or not wait for the moochers and deadbeats
    3) Facilitation of using alts to buff squad
    4) Build a better squad (too many bad/ignorant squad makers out there)
    5) Drop squad after boss so lazy non pickers don't get share of drops
    6) Control of methods (all range squads, split cost vs my drops, cleared to boss, link weapon, wave 2 vs 3 and not the 2-3 idiocy, etc)
    7) Automatic filtration of people who you pissed off because they sucked so bad
    Id also recommend trying to find a faction that is active, or at the very least has some active people. Having a faction with a few actives in your level range will make it magnitudes easier to find a FCC squad.

The typical faction of ~175 members has ~13 members logged on at a time; some of those are alts so more like 8, and some of those are shops, or afk, and the rest are busy doing something. The only thing a faction may benefit you on is the faction base or some member hungry leader helps in hopes of keeping you around. -Oh and the ability to stop getting the random invites and cajoles from people you'd like to punch in the face irl.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Get to 90+ and enter a decent (stays on the map at least the whole season) TW fac on your server

I don't think you'll make the big big top TW facs ofc
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver
    Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    U want to play a wiz? get ready to either be a sucesfull merchant or spend a lot of money on the game.. if you can be any one of those quit this class.. Wiz has only two chances, being a one shoot or one shoot most of the people you face.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    clorinda wrote: »
    HI I need help I love the wizard class alot and have played pwi along time but I gave it a 2 year brake. Ive played since 2008 i believe not sure and have a wiz main pys and cleric archer and mystic . all are low lvls except wiz and pys my pys is in her 60s i believe and my wiz 86( wanting 90) I have friends that quit and no faction and getting bh as a wiz is hard none needs you and I don't do best damage I don't have a lot of money i dont know where to start from havent played in awhile and I wanna get ready for the update the new world thing and I want to be sage and pvp and do major damage but I'm unsure of whats best to do because at this point I might quit the game totally and I really dont want to do that. I would like to enjoy the game again.I need to reach 90 on my wiz though I figured out pys has better chance but alot more lvls and no money to buy skills and you find few lower lvls anymore doing bh in the 60s realm correct me if I'm wrong. FCC could help but nones willing to help me without getting paid.and as for my other characters idk. I see almost no wiz on sanctuary and the ones I see are decked out and tell few secrets about how they got there.Needing help from a wiz thats more experienced to get somewhere in the game scince wizards are rare and I'm not sure on what to do can anyone tell me whats my best bet for my wizard?

stay away from PWI.
    there are a few games out there where you can play some really successful/useful casters. I myself played a sorcerer a while back and it was a hell of a ride. Game was P2P then, but it's free now. Good balance, nice classes/professions, I just rolled a lancer (tank) and you see people questing and doing dungeons in midgame like there's no tomorrow.
    Don't waste your time on PWI really, it's not worth it.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dragslave - Dreamweaver
    Dragslave - Dreamweaver Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is funny how someone who plays/played PWI tells people not to do it.
    I never cashed, and my gears are pretty good, so u just need to learn to farm or merch and be patient, QQ people just say cash or dont play, thats wrong.

Wizards are not the most well liked class for BHs for example, unless is wave, everyone wants wizzies for wave, but in time and if u do things right people will remember your name and invite u to any squads. we can take decent damage, hit hard, and aoe like crazy, so is just learning to use the class, u can find great guides here for that.

Join the wizzies rank, we are rare, but awesome!
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My take on wizards:

Wizards do need more skill to be good... but once you are skilled, you become extremely deadly. A wizard can kill any other class, and they have such a wide variety of attacks that, if the wizard is clever, you can never truly predict what the wizard will do to kill you. And among the heavy hitters, a wizard always has, and still does, hit the hardest---on average, and in spike damage too.

A wizard is not for somebody with a poor sense of kiting. Wizards are supposed to be highly mobile. If you want to sit in one spot and spam attacks while tanking damage, choose a seeker instead. I mention this because I feel that this is probably a major problem among people who think that wizards are weak. Playing a wizard without kiting is like playing an assassin without stealthing---in each case you give up a major strength of the class.

And yeah, Ursa's post leaves me disgruntled. She's well within her right to give you her opinion on wizards, but she has no right to tell potential players to not play the game. To new players thinking of playing wizard, I say, do your own research and make your own decision. Check youtube videos. Log onto a lvl 1 cleric alt, fly it into Archosaur on different servers, and talk to many a variety of people to see what they think of the wizard class. In particular. The more information you gather, the better informed you'll be when you decide whether to play a wizard or not.

Oh, one additional note. You say that 'wizards are rare'. Maybe that is true, maybe it isn't. But you don't necessarily need to talk to a *wizard* to get information about wizards. For example, many of my friends have been playing for 2, 3, 4 years. At one point or another, all of us have played a wizard, been in squads with a wizard, or fought wizards. While I haven't played a wizard in nearly 2 years, I know quite a lot about wizards and what they are capable of, simply by squadding with and fighting other wizards. Therefore, when you are trying to find out information about wizards, if you can't find an actual wizard, just try finding 'old' players. 'Old' players, like myself, have a good working knowledge of *ALL* the classes. If you want to find these sorts of players on your server, consider buying a few teleacoustic (teles) and asking in world chat "Can an experienced player plz pm me, I have a few questions about wizards, ty". Then, if the person/people who pm you seem friendly and have time, talk to them about wizards. Screenshot what they have to say so you can reference it later too.

Cheers.
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
    youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
  • Fallonswiz - Dreamweaver
    Fallonswiz - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love my wizzy.

I have never had a problem finding bh squads, especially now for sot and aba where 10 are in a squad.

I have all of the classes, 8 over 100, the other 2 are only 98, none even compare to my wizzy. She is the most fun class for me to play, so its a personal choice.

But your wizzy will be only as good as you make it, which involves tons of time.

My pet peeve with other wizzy's are seeing them with a dang water shield on, but to each their own way of playing.
  • Dragslave - Dreamweaver
    Dragslave - Dreamweaver Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love my wizzy.

I have never had a problem finding bh squads, especially now for sot and aba where 10 are in a squad.

But your wizzy will be only as good as you make it, which involves tons of time.

pretty much, +1 to this
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love my wizzy.

I have all of the classes, 8 over 100, the other 2 are only 98, none even compare to my wizzy. She is the most fun class for me to play, so its a personal choice.

But your wizzy will be only as good as you make it, which involves tons of time. And money. Lots of money.

My pet peeve with other wizzy's are seeing them with a dang water shield on, but to each their own way of playing.

150mil into a sin and it's pretty much self sufficient. 10bil+ into a wizard and it still needs more coin /o\
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Pretty much. You play wizard because you love playing wizard, not because you want to get in all the [insert instance] squads.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • Breannak - Raging Tide
    Breannak - Raging Tide Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    clorinda wrote: »

Well don't quits that's for sure, I remember 2 years ago being in your shoes. When ever I did BH's, or FC's I built squad around my level range and we worked together as a group. As for coins i did quest non-stop still I could afford enough for tele's to build squads, also wanted to add sage wizards are cool :)!
  • Peterpeterm - Raging Tide
    Peterpeterm - Raging Tide Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wizards are a costy class, but its very fun and we can hold our own very easily.

me and 2 other wizzys were against 20 on a bridge battle..and held out fine.b:victory
  • BriarFoxy - Raging Tide
    BriarFoxy - Raging Tide Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I see some good information here about playing low level toons and getting stuff done.
    With the new RB (Rebirth) system having high or strong players do low level BHs is a bit easier now. BUT...... it is still a **** shoot to get into a squad in a timely fashion.

Being in a Faction that will actually do low BHs every day is rare so ask before you join and state that you will stay, only if you can get the BHs done every day. Make sure you discuss this with the faction owner and other exe member so they don't just say they will but then rarely do them. Try to work it out and form a plan.

Making your own squad is the best way to get it done but it costs you teles so that may be a draw back because tokens are very pricey. If your in a faction try to get them to do the BH about the same time every day so everyone knows when to be ready.

Also farm mats to make the wine for the dungeon you want to do (always have wine on-hand). This helps get squad members who are low level or do not want to waist time hacking their way through the dungeon to get to the bosses. Also having the wine takes the burden off the faction members helping to do the BHs, saving time and their resources. To many low faction members do not realize the cost of their getting their BHs done, so try to help out.

With the new system of gold armor drops it is best if you form your squad in the FREE mode. In Free Mode, the players who need the gold drops or other drops can get them, because the gold armor drops are bound to the picker. Most high level player that help do not want the drops anyway. (Press the "T" key, then select FREE and then invite first squad member)

Also, the neuma from specific bosses usually goes to the player who wines or to the high level player who is helping, but it is good to discuss who gets the neuma so there is no bad feelings when it is taken. Neuma always goes to one player and is bound.

I hope this helps
    Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I see some good information here about playing low level toons and getting stuff done.

With the new RB (Rebirth) system having high or strong players do low level BHs is a bit easier now. BUT...... it is still a **** shoot to get into a squad in a timely fashion.

Being in a Faction that will actually do low BHs every day is rare so ask before you join and state that you will stay, only if you can get the BHs done every day. Make sure you discuss this with the faction owner and other exe member so they don't just say they will but then rarely do them. Try to work it out and form a plan.

Making your own squad is the best way to get it done but it costs you teles so that may be a draw back because tokens are very pricey. If your in a faction try to get them to do the BH about the same time every day so everyone knows when to be ready.

Also farm mats to make the wine for the dungeon you want to do (always have wine on-hand). This helps get squad members who are low level or do not want to waist time hacking their way through the dungeon to get to the bosses. Also having the wine takes the burden off the faction members helping to do the BHs, saving time and their resources. To many low faction members do not realize the cost of their getting their BHs done, so try to help out.

With the new system of gold armor drops it is best if you form your squad in the FREE mode. In Free Mode, the players who need the gold drops or other drops can get them, because the gold armor drops are bound to the picker. Most high level player that help do not want the drops anyway. (Press the "T" key, then select FREE and then invite first squad member)

Also, the neuma from specific bosses usually goes to the player who wines or to the high level player who is helping, but it is good to discuss who gets the neuma so there is no bad feelings when it is taken. Neuma always goes to one player and is bound.

I hope this helps
    This looks like a NECRO!

BriarFoxy - Raging Tide replied to a message that was 5 months 22 days 14 hours 50 minutes old.

Any thread over one month (30 days) old is considered to be a dead thread and you're not supposed to post in them. The person you are replying to probably doesn't care any more or can no longer be found on the forums. The topic itself could be out of date. Next time just make a new thread.

Let's see how long it takes for a mod to close this :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• BriarFoxy - Raging Tide
    BriarFoxy - Raging Tide Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    150mil into a sin and it's pretty much self sufficient. 10bil+ into a wizard and it still needs more coin /o\

With the R9RR the cost of a toon can easily go OVER $10,000.00 in RL money.
    SO, who wants to to tell me this game has not sold its soul to the mighty dollar.
    I still keep playing but I can't hold a candle to the damage and damage resistance of those paying players. Those players dominate all the high end events and TW, so it is no wonder that there are not many new players that stay in the the game.
    I am hoping that PW wakes up and puts this game back in balance and make it reasonable for 98% of the loyal players.
    Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll
  • XXHotXx - Morai
    XXHotXx - Morai Posts: 1,246 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My take on wizards:

Wizards do need more skill to be good... but once you are skilled, you become extremely deadly. A wizard can kill any other class, and they have such a wide variety of attacks that, if the wizard is clever, you can never truly predict what the wizard will do to kill you. And among the heavy hitters, a wizard always has, and still does, hit the hardest---on average, and in spike damage too.

extremely deadly?! wat?!
    at endgame?! equal gears?! wut u talkin about? spark combo? besides the natural counters to spark are you aware of the current debuff nerf?
    a wiz to do an efficent fire debuff now needs 155 dex on the genie

best spike damage, hardest htis ?! waaaat at endgame? equal gears? wizard has the lowest base magic damage among the Arcane classes

A wizard is not for somebody with a poor sense of kiting. Wizards are supposed to be highly mobile. If you want to sit in one spot and spam attacks while tanking damage, choose a seeker instead. I mention this because I feel that this is probably a major problem among people who think that wizards are weak. Playing a wizard without kiting is like playing an assassin without stealthing---in each case you give up a major strength of the class.

kiting? we dont have mobility skills besides the leap, also consider paralyze

spam attacks? wizard spamming attacks? we are not DPSers our chan+cast+cooldowns dont allow us to "spam" skills

And yeah, Ursa's post leaves me disgruntled. She's well within her right to give you her opinion on wizards, but she has no right to tell potential players to not play the game. To new players thinking of playing wizard, I say, do your own research and make your own decision. Check youtube videos. Log onto a lvl 1 cleric alt, fly it into Archosaur on different servers, and talk to many a variety of people to see what they think of the wizard class. In particular. The more information you gather, the better informed you'll be when you decide whether to play a wizard or not.

Oh, one additional note. You say that 'wizards are rare'. Maybe that is true, maybe it isn't. But you don't necessarily need to talk to a *wizard* to get information about wizards. For example, many of my friends have been playing for 2, 3, 4 years. At one point or another, all of us have played a wizard, been in squads with a wizard, or fought wizards. While I haven't played a wizard in nearly 2 years, I know quite a lot about wizards and what they are capable of, simply by squadding with and fighting other wizards. Therefore, when you are trying to find out information about wizards, if you can't find an actual wizard, just try finding 'old' players. 'Old' players, like myself, have a good working knowledge of *ALL* the classes. If you want to find these sorts of players on your server, consider buying a few teleacoustic (teles) and asking in world chat "Can an experienced player plz pm me, I have a few questions about wizards, ty". Then, if the person/people who pm you seem friendly and have time, talk to them about wizards. Screenshot what they have to say so you can reference it later too.

wizards are rare and weak, cause wizards have to outgear the target to be able to win.
    if they can outgear the target then ofc they hit hard, they can use a 155 dex genie that allow them to have spike damage
    but if the wizard doesnt heavily outgear the target, he cant use a 155 dex genie, thus his fire debuff is negligible, has low spike damage and no dps

and we dont have mobility, neither solid CCs or support skills (just a couple of them)

2 cents in red
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123510
    mypers.pw/1.7/#123524

i58.tinypic.com/231jj8.jpg
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Well... this was nice to see.

And now it isn't.
    (Insert fancy image here)
This discussion has been closed.