Genie skills for barbarian

LuboBG - Morai
LuboBG - Morai Posts: 110 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Barbarian
i'm thinking to lvl my barb what are good genie skills for barb.I know AD and second wind are good there was some damage reducting skill temporary don't know the name just write down some good skills plor don't gahh delete this tread
Post edited by LuboBG - Morai on

Comments

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tree Of Protection (I suggest this over second wind as it is more potent imho)

Solid Shield (another invoke who doesn't love that? Shields are a barbs best friend!... Aside from heals /o\)

Heart of Steel (both pve, and pvp usefulness)

^ Three of the best/arguably most useful skills a barb should have on it's genie.

Other suggestions:

Wind shield (Mini invoke + increased attack speed... that's so ftw!)

Cloud Eruption/Chi Siphon (chi really helps even if you use beastial rage... the extra chi is really useful for invoke, etc.)

Tangling Mire/Extreme Poison (Mire is an aoe debuff, whereas EP is a solo debuff on a mob, both can be real useful to you/the squad.

Oxygen Bubble (It can resist occult ice/that bubble in warsong)

Alpha Male (real useful if your in a position where you can't invoke/are just doing a quick pull and dont want to stop to invoke/roar, etc)

Holy Path (Yes it is useful running at 15 m/s like everyone else. /o\ People are real impatient... if you can't catch up with your innate speed boost... it could easily spell doom for the rest of the squad if the ones who went ahead can't handle it.

---

I for one do not care too much for Absolute Domain, I know it is useful and all, but with its cooldown/cost I find other skills to be more useful. (I/E the heart of steel/oxygen bubble)

---

---

I am so guessing I am missing a few but those are the ones I would suggest. (some even have quite a bit of use for pvp... but obviously not all of them do... still I trust you can figure out which have a 'place' in pvp, and which don't.... assuming you plan on pvping.)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I am totally addicted to the following skills in this order of importance: (Although cloud eruption probably dropped below holy path since i have demon BKI)

AD
    Cloud eruption (only lvl 1)
    Holy path
    earthflame
    tangling mire

You didnt ask for it, but since you say you still got to level your barb, im gonna give a little tip to go demon unless you intend to become cata-barb. Sunder-Arma should be enough reason. But demon BKI is also pretty marvelous. If you have demon BKI, the necessity for cloud eruption is somewhat reduced. Without cloud eruption or demon BKI, it is a disaster for a barb to make chi between battles and the whole squad will be waiting for you and getting anoyed. In battle it is of course also nice. Even if you are simply reaming and devouring as much as you can, you will use chi faster than you get it, espescially now that DDs are so powerfull that you can at best get partial agro and thus have reduced bestail chi gain. But also for emergency invoke, between sunder-arma when you are not getting bestail chi because either it is on cooldown, you dont have agro or the BM stunned the mobs.

I tried removing earthflame from my genie, but i like to set the pace and take initiative in squad. I felt like a helpless fool when i removed it and had to ask others to pull stuff for me. If you are a more passive player i can immagine going without it though.

in reaction to poster above me:

I tried solid shield and got rid of it. Only really nice on a str genie. I also did try a str genie. But really, since i tried mag/vit ill never go back. Besides the fact that you simply can spam your skills more often, i like 100 vit (the rest mag) as this allows you to use AD for chaining violent triump and vac and a few seconds later have energy enough for holy path. It will also allow you to actually use mire while still having enough energy to use skills like AD/cloud eruption. After all, the point of those skills is that you can use them when the need arises. If a simple 45 energy skill would render them unusable, its all pretty pointless.

Alpha male i never used. Dont see much reason for it. I understand the not needing to stop argument, but its rather situational i think. Although if it would allow me to do PV in 1 pull instead of 2, that might actually be a reason to think about it....

AD = <3<3<3 It is so incredibly versatile. It can protect you against any kind of **** including predictable purges and debufs. It allows you to chain your violent triump skill with vac for exactly enough anti stun duration to make full lunar pulls for example. It makes sure your invoke is not interupted when for example pulling FW-metal. When you get stunned in PV, AD saves your ***. When doing mobless FW, many sins want you to attack first, so you devour and AD and the sin should take agro before AD runs out. When your health is low and you got healing coming in. (basically when you have moderate damage intake and little or no healing, ToP is the way to get your health back up. When have strong healing but you are getting very heavy damage, AD is much better, followed by IG if needed) And so many more... It is without a doubt my nr1 genie skill by far.

Mire i use primarily for its 100% hit side effect. You pull 200 mobs in PV or TM, you dont want 20 of them to survive your sunder-arma. Mire makes sure they will all die.

Oxygen bubble i never tried. Sounds pretty situational. I use ToP to protect me against bubbles. (use it long before you think you could die though, when i get bubbled i take 2-3 seconds to judge how sbad the bubble is and if HPs are gong down to say 70%, it is already time to ToP.)

windshield also never tried. Im 5aps without it ;) and on that matter, as well as advising to go demon, i advise you to consider going APS, but only do it when you can afford to have 2 sets of armor, both refined +6ish (1 set APS and 1 set G16) have at least 4APS, preferably 5 and a properly refined claw/fist. If that seems too expensive right now, just go str/vit and you can always restat later.

All i post is from a PvE perspective. I do not PvP. If you do PvP, it is probably best to have a seperate genie for that anyway.

And finally, dont forget to suplement your options with a good assortiment of Apothecary. Its is costly so you dont need to use them a lot. I probably use like 10 apoths a day in total. But it is good to have like 6 different ones to choose from. Most important to me, again in order of importance: vac, sutra orb, samsara wheel, tea, IG. But its a matter of what you get used to. There are others that can be just as good. I like having apoths that do the same thing as my genie skills so they can serve as backup and in my brain be treathed as the same thing to make things easier: TOP - sams wheel. AD - sutra orb. Cloud eruption - Gods tea.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *snip to make shorter*

in reaction to poster above me:

I tried solid shield and got rid of it. Only really nice on a str genie. I also did try a str genie. But really, since i tried mag/vit ill never go back.

I find it way too useful, I have had to use it because I didn't have the chi for invoke, or it wasn't cooldown yet due to the squad killing the boss too quicklyish. Still it obviously isn't for everyone some find it more useful than others, as is the case for ANY skill... albeit certain skills like the bm's hf is unanimously has the same usefulness in each persons mind... at least of the ones who really know what they're doing.
    Alpha male i never used. Dont see much reason for it. I understand the not needing to stop argument, but its rather situational i think. Although if it would allow me to do PV in 1 pull instead of 2, that might actually be a reason to think about it....

Aye I agree it is definitely a debatable skill, personally I still find it way too useful, and really notice it when I/others aren't using it... ESPECIALLY in delta, and NO ONE is doing any mob control. D:
    AD = <3<3<3 It is so incredibly versatile. It can protect you against any kind of **** including predictable purges and debufs. It allows you to chain your violent triump skill with vac for exactly enough anti stun duration to make full lunar pulls for example. When you get stunned in PV, AD saves your ***. When doing mobless FW, many sins want you to attack first, so you devour and AD and the sin should take agro before AD runs out. When your health is low and you got healing coming in. (basically when you have moderate damage intake and little or no healing, ToP is the way to get your health back up. When have strong healing but you are getting very heavy damage, AD is much better) And so many more... It is without a doubt my nr1 genie skill.

I agree it has a hell of a lot of uses, but I still find AD to be to costly/hard to spam as much as I would like my (shields) to be, ergo the solid shield. and even the heart of steel/oxygen bubble. Both I find way more spammable/useable than AD. Especially for bh snake/full WS.

Still to each their own, I personally don't care for AD, even if it stops more than just one element.
    Mire i use primarily for its 100% hit side effect. You pull 200 mobs in PV or TM, you dont want 20 of them to survive your sunder-arma. Mire makes sure they will all die.

Really <3 the fact that mire is an aoe... definitely a nice skill to have on a genie.
    Oxygen bubble i never tried. Sounds pretty situational. I use ToP to protect me against bubbles. (use it long before you think you could die though, when i get bubbled i take 2-3 seconds to ***** how sever the bubble is and if HPs are gong down to say 70%, it is already time to ToP.)

Aye very situational, but I for one have gotten used to it on this bm, hell it actually on a separate genie that's specifically for WS... as it is indeed a precious space used up on a regular genie... aka too situational to be put on a main genie.

I probably should have added that side note. :$ lol
    windshield also never tried. Im 5aps without it ;) and on that matter, as well as advising to go demon, i advise you to consider going APS, but only do it when you can afford to have 2 sets of armor (1 set APS and 1 set G16) have at least 4APS, preferably 5 and a properly refined claw/fist. If that seems too expensive right now, just go str/vit and you can always restat later.

*snip (see first snip)*

Aye wind shield is another skill that a barb can easily do without... be they sage or demon... it is useful in some situations... but there are better skills that could be put on the genie over it. (I.E any number of 'shields'/TOP, CE, etc)
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear
    Magnanimous_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since you barb is not yet lvl100, I would suggest a medium strength genie with the following skills (no specific order):

1. Holy Path - Standard Mobility Skill

2. Absolute Domain - Standard Survival Skill

3.Solid Shield
    Reduces damage. Cost less energy, and reduces more damage than windshield. Also, damage reduction and duration of shield scales with genie strength.

4.Cloud Eruption
    Gives Chi. Essential to quickly do chain pulls in fc/pv, without having to stop to pump chi. Scales well with genie strength. Becomes obsolete after getting demon beast king inspiration or advanced sage true form. Level 10 CE consumes at lot of energy. Keep it at level 1 so that you can keep some genie energy for other skills.

5.Tangling Mire
    Decreases phy-def of all mobs around you, to increase your damage. It will also glitch your accuracy to 100% on all affected mobs, to further increase your aoe damage. Scales with genie strength.

6. Alpha Male
    Steal aggro from other players. Good skill to save squad members from mobs because the skill is instantaneous (as opposed to roar which has to be channeled). Also gives temporary bramble to help keep aggro (the amount of aggro generated is ok~ish for non end-game instances though). Duration of bramble scales with genie strength.

7. Tree of protection
    Temporary increases max hp and 40%+ of your hp over 6secs. Good skill to save your own butt when your cleric is far behind or lagging. Also, increases arma damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since you barb is not yet lvl100, I would suggest a medium strength genie with the following skills (no specific order):

1. Holy Path
    2. Absolute Domain
    3.Solid Shield
    4.Cloud Eruption
    5.Tangling Mire
    6. Alpha Male
    7. Tree of protection

(Almost) Completely agree on this genie set and setup. I also agree on the medium strength genie. Starting strength stat for a Zeal genie is 5, so you can get 45 strength before it starts taking 2 points for 1 stat. At 50 str Solid Shield will give you 47.5% reduction for 12 seconds for only 44 energy. This means it barely empties your genie so the huge demands of vit/mag genie aren't needed. Also, putting 45 points into strength only would make a difference of 25 stats toward vit or magic. Tangling Mire, Cloud Eruption, Solid Shield, Alpha Male, and ToP are all strength based skills, btw.

If I had to lose one skill it'd be holy path. I've always considered holy path a bad habit for barbs and it leads to mobs scraping off on walls because the barb rounded a corner or resetting because the barb got too far away. It's a skill for barbs who'd rather dodge damage and pull like an archer/sin than tank damage. Once you get lvl 11 true form you already run at 9-10 m/s and more if you have r9t3 boots. This means you are usually long out of mob range before they can even channel attacks. The only real use for Holy Path is against mobs that slow you, but even then you're usually slowed to only about 6 m/s and take 1 attack before you're out of range and at full speed again.

Second skill that's debatable is Tangling Mire. While I really enjoy that skill I wanted a spot for Earthflame for pulling so I removed it. If I had one more spot I'd put it back on. As stated above the physical debuff glitches you to 100% accuracy so all your hits land: especially nice for your armas on huge mob piles. The other sexy thing about TM is stacking it with your own devour.

Alpha Male I still use. In BH Metal if i get seal locked and can't Roar I don't want to bring those mobs back un-aggroed so I'll try to roar a few times and then just AM and sit there absorbing reflect damage for more aggro. It's also a nice way to get rid of aggro if you've brought mobs back to a bb and want to go out for more. Just AM and the next persons aoe will take the mobs. In Delta if I go to gather up a group of mobs but miss aggroing a couple mobs with my roar its normally no big deal but I'm a perfectionist so I may chose to AM to get aggro of everything. Roars range is only 12m but AMs is 20m.

Two tips on ToP and Solid Shield. Use ToP prior to arma and hit a pot (or be in bb). I have 20.2k hp and it jumps me up to 28k hp armas. I'm demon so I actually Sunder (ToP)->Arma so the sunder heals that extra 8k hp for arma, the sunder is a crit, and the arma is a crit.

For Solid shield I have an 80 str genie that gives me 55% reduction for over 13 seconds then I can rotate it with invoke for 90% reduction for 20 seconds. That's 33 seconds of reduction, so I can bestial rage twice. I then can Sunder, Slam, use Frighten during my invoke, or kite. I usually get multiple sparks for triple spark resisting. Bestial Rage offers a magic shield, and I still have my genie full for AD or ToP. There is pretty much no pull in game that can't be solo'd by a smart barb who rotates his skills correctly, with or without paint.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Flash_man - Lost City
    Flash_man - Lost City Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i have 2 genies, one for 1v1s and one for mass pk. both are very useful and helpful to me in pk but probably just my play style

mass pk genie: vit/mag build with tangling mire, fortify, faith, solid shield, wind shield, whirlwind, and soul of fire

1v1 genie: str build with occult ice, tangling mire, solid shield, tree of protection, heart of steel, soul of fire, and mantle ripple of death

as for pve genie: i'd agree with holy path, mire, domain, solid shield, tree of protection, extreme poison
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited December 2013
    If I had to lose one skill it'd be holy path. I've always considered holy path a bad habit for barbs and it leads to mobs scraping off on walls because the barb rounded a corner or resetting because the barb got too far away. It's a skill for barbs who'd rather dodge damage and pull like an archer/sin than tank damage. Once you get lvl 11 true form you already run at 9-10 m/s and more if you have r9t3 boots. This means you are usually long out of mob range before they can even channel attacks. The only real use for Holy Path is against mobs that slow you, but even then you're usually slowed to only about 6 m/s and take 1 attack before you're out of range and at full speed again.

Yes it is important to note. Holy path is a skill that is usually NOT to be used while pulling. On contrary, when pulling you often need to stop at corners to make mobs catch up with you (think FW fire) There are exceptions though as said: violent triumph - AD - vac - holy path allows exactly full lunar pulls and they dont reset (really exact, count out and invoke on 19 on top of the last mob) Also when pulling icewind scouts, i use 3x holy path in each pull :)

Primarilly i use it is for APSing though, kind of as an alternative to the dashes that sins and BMs have. Dont want to lose sparked time and end up with less than 3 sparks when this one is gone. So you holy path to the next. Also nice to quickly approach a groub of mobs in human form and be able to spark before they hurt. But likely this will not be a factor for you for a while to come.

Other than that its just addiction and always wanting to go faster from one battle to the next. Still i like it. Surely it scrapes at least a minute of an FC or TT run you know ;) And i dont want to lose the race against the veno when we are doing delta and running to the start.......

If as per the other guys advise you choose to go for medium strength and solid shield, it should still be possible to have 100 vit as well as 45 or 50 str and a little bit magic to make it do everything my genie can do. Use genie gear though. Its not very expensive. 6m or so will let you make 4x +4+4 stats equipment so thats 32 stat points total that are not halved because you have more than 40. Of course you are not yet lvl 100 so neither is your genie, thus this is all for the future to work towards. Genie gear is for 71+ luckpoint genies. Until you got that, you better just play around a bit with the skills yourself and use cheap genie gear made from emblems to boost them a little bit.
  • Beleni - Dreamweaver
    Beleni - Dreamweaver Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One skill that is not mentioned alot and it has grown on me, is Mantle ripple of Rage.

It is a squad based Bestial rage and with a high str genie can last for 30 + seconds.

Great if you want to pass chi to the Seeker or whoever is tanking should it not be you.
    also helps if you are solo-in and your own bestial rage runs out.

Nice to have a full chi bar no matter what you are doing:P
  • CANUS_MAJOR - Archosaur
    CANUS_MAJOR - Archosaur Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've always been a big proponent of high vit and high magic genies, but thats mostly for spamability, which is nice as a cata barb

skill wise i agree mostly with whats already been mentioned, i think oxygen bubble is a pretty underrated skill but i've found it to be more helpful in pve than pvp b:pleased
    The loudest person in the room, usually has the least to say... b:chuckle
  • _Mg_Zr - Harshlands
    _Mg_Zr - Harshlands Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    • Solid Shield
    • Tree of Protection
    • Tangling Mire
    • Extreme Poison
    • True Emptiness
    • Occult Ice

They are my favourite genie skills.

I personally believe solid shield should be on all barbs genies, in pvp whether its a 1v1 or group pvp its a life saver.

ToP can get you out of alot of tight spots, but you need to learn to time it correctly, dont use it when your hp is at 20% use it when your at 40% and you anticipate your gonna receive alot of damage. It is also invaluable if you want to get the maximum damage possible for armageddon.

Tangling Mire is a aoe phys debuff whats not to like about that. Extremly useful in PvE and PvP

Extreme Poison is a single target amp that increases all damage received. Its useful in PvE as it will help all dd's attacking a boss/mob and in PvP it can help to drop incredibly tanky oponents. A combo i like to use in PvP is mighty swing, (if it stuns i continue if stun fails i drop the combo) extreme poison, devour, tangling mire and finally sunder.

True Emptiness is nice to have in sticky situations when fighting casters/magic mobs as it doesnt have a energy requirement to use instead it just drains all the energy from your genie. For this reason its also best to try and use it while your genie has low energy. The damage can also be quite high when used on flying oponents as it does triple damage to them.

Occult Ice i have a love/hate relationship with. Its a very useful skill to help a barb with stun locking but there was time when i was 1v1ing people i would come to rely on it to kill people. I dont like relying on a skill that only has a x % chance of working.

I feel i should also mention that my genie has high str to get maximum effectiveness out of the above skills (bar Extreme Poison as its dex based)
    My genie is also highly PvP orientated but i dont need to swap any skills to do any PvE in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - 102 Demon Kitty Kat

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
    - Douglas Adams
  • Surukuvio - Raging Tide
    Surukuvio - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Everyone have their own preferences and I personally use separate genies for different dungeons/situations.

My main genie, however, looks like this:

Occult Ice
    Tangling Mire
    Solid Shield
    Tree of Protection
    True Emptiness
    Absolute Domain

As you can see it's a PVP/PVE mix. I do not recommend getting Occult Ice or True Emptiness for your genie if you do not have a real use for them, this specific set-up is made because of my personal (and odd) preferences.

For PVE I'd mainly pick some of the folowing skills:

Tangling Mire, Solid Shield, Tree of Protection, Oxygen Bubble, Alpha Male, Absolute Domain, Cloud Eruption/Chi Siphon, True Emtpiness (EXTREMELY situational and will drain your genie's energy), Heart of Steel, Wind Shield

I left out Holy Path, mainly for the same reasons Sakubatou already listed. I also do not like Extreme Poison because my genie is str-based and I get more out of tangling mire.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited December 2013
    ]
    Occult Ice i have a love/hate relationship with.

same, love it cast onto others, hate it being cast onto me b:pleased
  • _Mg_Zr - Harshlands
    _Mg_Zr - Harshlands Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    same, love it cast onto others, hate it being cast onto me b:pleased

b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - 102 Demon Kitty Kat

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
    - Douglas Adams
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My genie currently has:

Holy Path
    Absolute Domain
    Occult Ice
    Tree of Protection
    Solid Shield
    Tangling Mire

Pic of my genie

87 STR Solid Shield: 56% Damage Reduction for 13 seconds.
    87 STR Occult Ice: 73% success chance
    87 STR Tangling Mire: 52% Phys. Def. Reduction

I went STR build with a helping hand from VIT and MAG. In the end (Warsong badges) I leaned in favor to VIT so I could combo ToP and Mire. On the other hand someone could go VIT for more Chi, or MAG for being faster off the respawn.

As a sage barb I manage my chi quite well, Cloud Eruption doesn't do me any good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • bonaguacallos
    bonaguacallos Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    MY mga pinoy din b player dto s PWI salamatb:victory