Genie setup

Options
Eoria - Harshlands
Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Venomancer
So after pvping a bit on veno, I decided I needed Soul of Fire back on genie. My problem is that I don't really know what to drop off of my genie, tbh, and I don't really want to go out and buy an 81+ genie for an alt.

What I'm using currently is a 76/100 Discipline with the starter flight acceleration skill, Holy Path, Absolute Domain, Tree of Protection, Fortify, and Expel. I don't really want to drop the starter skill because that **** comes in handy way too often. HP/AD/Fortify also aren't options for me to drop since I spam those. Pretty much comes down to ToP or Expel. They're both really situational for me. Expel I only use vs. sins and to prevent taking damage from an incoming arma. ToP usually used as a last ditch measure to survive if AD/pot/feral is down and I can't run away.

I'm thinking ToP, but I took SoF off of the genie originally to put that on it. Zzzz...

Alternatively, I level veno to 103 so it can use cleric's genie, but that's gonna take a bit to level it from 101 to 103 and I need to finish leveling mystic to 103 first. -____-
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
I <3 Subtraction.
/blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
Post edited by Eoria - Harshlands on

Comments

• Terrwyne - Sanctuary
    Terrwyne - Sanctuary Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I use to have both tree of protection and expel on my venomancers genie.. But I took off both now.
    Expel I was also using against sins... But now I usually find a way to survive via the bramble skills or if higher threats AD/Feral skill... Tree of protection I took off also since I feel it heal me too slow.. Either it cant save me in time, or else I could probably have survived without it as well. So I got windshield instead (I upgraded to dex genie) to decrease damage taken.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I recently also removed ToP from my genie and replaced it with Windshield but I don't know yet if I find Windshield more useful. Unfortunately the TW we had last weekend was less than half an hour and I didn't get to do much PK to test it...

I'd probably suggest removing ToP for now and see how it goes. ToP is okay but sometimes too slow to help in my opinion.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I dunno about TOP when you have both NG/MB and ST. If perhaps you just wanted to fill an open genie skill slot, why not.. but otherwise, depends on what kind of pvp related things you plan on using the genie for. I only say that because some veno's have purely dmg increasing skills for general PVP or purely offensive battles, some anti-movement debuff/control skill for TW or NW (especially for flag carrying), some a mixture of both.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I dunno about TOP when you have both NG/MB and ST. If perhaps you just wanted to fill an open genie skill slot, why not.. but otherwise, depends on what kind of pvp related things you plan on using the genie for. I only say that because some veno's have purely dmg increasing skills for general PVP or purely offensive battles, some anti-movement debuff/control skill for TW or NW (especially for flag carrying), some a mixture of both.

My veno's pure vit and it's used solely in group/mass pvp. It has like no damage whatsoever so getting damage increase skills on it is a bit pointless for me.

But yeah. I think I will take ToP off for now. ty guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Untamed_pain - Archosaur
    Untamed_pain - Archosaur Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I thought about taking TOP off my genie to i never use it. Just wasn't sure what to put.
    untamed_pain demon veno 103-100-101
    SweetAzHoney Sage Cleric 102-currently rebirthing
    xXZoeMarieXx sage seeker 101-currently rebirthing
    StormyRainz Demon Mystic 101 Not rebirth yet
    EsmeStorms Demon wizzy 101 not rebirth yet
    UhitLikaGirl Almost sage barb 100 buffer
    and loads of other alts...
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I thought about taking TOP off my genie to i never use it. Just wasn't sure what to put.

Soul of Fire is a good option if your server has a lot of sparking mages. b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Marengo - Lost City
    Marengo - Lost City Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Expel I was also using against sins... But now I usually find a way to survive via the bramble skills or if higher threats AD/Feral skill... Tree of protection I took off also since I feel it heal me too slow..
    Problem of bramble skills and feral skill is that they are not usable in stun/seal, while expel can save you in such situation. Veno has a lot of defensive skills by all means, just applying them can be troublesome.

AD's cd is enormously long. I keep it just because it fits my genie, combinable with holy path and expel. For pvp in world I use the one with Faith-Expel combo and it's really awesome, but you can't place holy path on it, which is kinda must on flag-type battles in nw. Another option is to keep faith, remove expel and get holy path. Such genie I also have, lvl 100, no gear, but I don't use it much lately, feeling uncomfortable without expel, though can admit it may be not reasonable and just a matter of habbit :)

Tree of protection I tried ages ago, didn't impressed me, only makes charm tick when used in wrong moment, doesn't save from overHP damage, which happens a lot (sparking mages, zerkcriting sins). Never missed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
    pw art ◊ tinyurl.com/q6ca7ar ◊
  • Untamed_pain - Archosaur
    Untamed_pain - Archosaur Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Soul of Fire is a good option if your server has a lot of sparking mages. b:shutup

LOL Nw/tw the archers and seekers love to hurt me haha.
    untamed_pain demon veno 103-100-101
    SweetAzHoney Sage Cleric 102-currently rebirthing
    xXZoeMarieXx sage seeker 101-currently rebirthing
    StormyRainz Demon Mystic 101 Not rebirth yet
    EsmeStorms Demon wizzy 101 not rebirth yet
    UhitLikaGirl Almost sage barb 100 buffer
    and loads of other alts...
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've been wondering for a while...well my genie is perfect for TW (and NW though I can't go to those) but people keep saying Faith is a must-have for open world PK. However, if I were to get a Faith genie, it would mean I can't have Cloud Eruption on it. If I want Cloud Eruption, I can't have AD.

How do you manage without CE in open world PvP as a Demon? I rely on Cloud Eruption quite a lot especially when I'm having a bad day and Crush Vigor refuses to chi me. b:surrender

I think Expel is nice but I don't use it very often actually however my server has a lot of AAs. Archers used to be the most popular choice but they kinda "died out" after 3rd cast R9.
  • Marengo - Lost City
    edited November 2013
    Options

How do you manage without CE in open world PvP as a Demon? I rely on Cloud Eruption quite a lot especially when I'm having a bad day and Crush Vigor refuses to chi me. b:surrender
    I don't rely on Cloud Eruption at all in open pvp. Even in NW I mostly use it between battles or when nothing threats me at the moment directly. Prefer to keep energy for something that will save me with better chance. Having chi doesn't yet mean you are invincible and doesn't yet mean you will be able to use it in few seconds :D More than that, I didn't even have it on any genie untill recently, when I finally decided Nullfy Poison is almost useless and removed it. I keep Expel on my genie mostly for sins, besides its cooldown is only 1 sec, so if you have good mana regeneration on genie, you can use it every 30-40 sec.
    If you don't need Expel you can make something like this:

http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html#skills=031e273036545b

Faith + Cloud Eruption, but need 105 lvl for genie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    LOL Nw/tw the archers and seekers love to hurt me haha.

Consider Heart of Steel then to block seeker metal combo/archer BV metal combo.

@Desdi - I don't like Faith due to the energy cost, tbh. It's essential for 1v1ing certain classes like clerics though and can be quite handy in any sort of pvp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It's just that using Myriad a lot, Bewitch, Chi Burn, Blazing Barrier, Ironwoods and at times Arcane Antinomy/Fossilized curse eat my chi like mad and sometimes I can't make it back fast. I'll find myself unable to use skills due to lack of chi. I'd spam Nova in TW so a CE genie is a must for me there.

I guess I should try PvPing without using CE to get used to it. I can't make a Faith genie yet anyway, would need to make a good genie (sold all the 81+ LP I had).

Kinda derailing topic now but..when's the best/most needed moments when you need Faith?
  • Marengo - Lost City
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I must admit, I use lvl 100 skills not so often as I would like to, but they are for single target only. Sometimes if there are several OP players around, it's hard to determine the most important target. Using all your chi just on it would leave you defenceless against others. Especially if you wipe out all genie energy for that. Irrationally. Usually things are like that: if we prevail, I have enough chi for everything. If not, I lack chi badly no matter how I use it, for defence only, for pure offence or whatever. I can survive using genie though, but not for sparks. Here short cd of Faith helps a lot. On TW I'd switch genies according to my role. Holy path for defence to catch barbs (there can afford Cloud Eruption), Faith for offence. White tea for sparks. Vigor crush still works sometimes =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yeah no complains on Crush Vigor, just some days I'm way too unlucky with the proc lol but of course there are days that it procs like every single time.

Anyway, thanks for the info! I'll see what I can do once I make a genie and meanwhile I'll practice not relying on CE as much and see how I manage. Planning to open world PK more often so I'll probably need to get used to using a Faith genie.
  • mol1
    mol1 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    chi siphon -> purge ... GG
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    mol1 wrote: »

Is that who I think it is
  • Marengo - Lost City
    edited November 2013
    Options
    mol1 wrote: »
    Need target. Can't always purge right away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
  • Terrwyne - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Problem of bramble skills and feral skill is that they are not usable in stun/seal, while expel can save you in such situation. Veno has a lot of defensive skills by all means, just applying them can be troublesome.

I know you cant use the skills when stun/sealed, but I still removed it after I got my r9+ as I find it rare sins take me down that fast now because of defense, plus they cant keep me stunlocked forever with my fortify/purify spell/whatever, and windshield once again helps me for those hardhitting ones. Also takes way less energy... Other than that, I see most sins prefer stay away from my veno lol.. My cleric is another story tho..
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Well I don't know if Terr ever PKs, I've only ever seen her to TW (and probably NW I suppose). In TW I also rarely get attacked by Assassins, hence I rarely use Expel.

I mostly use Expel when I'm up against Archer(s) but even then, because of the nature of TW, I can often get away with just AD > Blazing Barrier or drop in Fox Form to Bewitch and stuff.

PK outside is another story though but it's been quiet during the hours I play.
  • Terrwyne - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Okay, its indeed true I haven't PKed much and Expel might be more handy for me if I was an active PKer what do I know, I'll have to do some experiments for myself I believe lol and see what would fit for my playstyle if I start being more active in pvp.. I'm just really happy for windshield and it saves me in most times, also my genie is dex based.

Honestly I have only PK'ed twice against a close friend of mine (BM) I recorded it, but lazy to put it up on youtube. It was quite fun experience, but and I got lots to learn still after taking a break from my venomancer. I think I did ok, but also derped a few times f:melon

Updating my venomancers gears a bit more, looking forward to play her properly again. I hope to do some more pvp on her soon.